Touhou Seirensen ~ Undefined Fantastic Object

SFKhoa

Re: Touhou Seirensen ~ Undefined Fantastic Object

Post by SFKhoa »

I really want to play Extra just for that amazing grid spellcard alone.
Heartbeam

Post by Heartbeam »

Extra - Sanae B
Heartbeam - 156,091,270 - ALL - 0.070% - [Replay]

Wonderful boss theme, and sorry for the lack of activity. Occupied with Diablo II, Madworld, and a handful of various shmups.

What a warming conversation moozooh had with doujinstg!

One billion is in sight!
Last edited by Heartbeam on Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:05 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Momijitsuki

Post by Momijitsuki »

I'm making progress! I almost beat stage 5. xD

Heartbeam, I demand a Lunatic clear and replay, stat! :lol:

EDIT:

Hmm, where have I seen that before?

Oh yeah, and that's not a picture of me playing, so don't add it as my score or anything :p
LtC

Post by LtC »

Momijitsuki wrote:I'm making progress! I almost beat stage 5. xD

Heartbeam, I demand a Lunatic clear and replay, stat! :lol:

EDIT:

Hmm, where have I seen that before?

Oh yeah, and that's not a picture of me playing, so don't add it as my score or anything :p
that pattern is straight from Samidare 3rd boss. And the stage theme is straight from G-Darius OST (Kimera II, stage 5 theme).

Extra - Sanae A
LtC - 148,488,750 - ALL - 0.1%

Cleared the extra, real boring boss if you ask me. All the non spellcards feel like complete filler and waste of time, the sixth boss on normal is harder than the extra boss. Pretty bad score since I died 3 or 4 times in the survival spellcard.

Otherwise the last 3 stages in the game are pretty interesting, I really like the patterns in this game. Should probably try a scoring run later.
Sasupoika

Post by Sasupoika »

Shinki from Mystic Square had the same attack.
ImageImage
lmagus

Post by lmagus »

Easy - Reimu B
lmagus - 125,871,460 - ALL - 0.0% - (Replay)

That score was lower than 4 other attempts =(

Ah well at least I finished it.
IMO this game is much harder than SA, but at least it gives you MANY lives
Momijitsuki

Post by Momijitsuki »

I sort of referred to who I was talking about in the link, there. :lol:
Observer

Post by Observer »

Wait a minute, is the game already out for sale? Last year I think we waited till it officially came out? I'm confused. According to Palet and the others, Sept. 30th seems to be the real deal.

edit: lol, Paletweb has a blog now too. It's full of pure gold engrish!

Anyway:

I have to agree the Extra stage was boring as hell but it's been happening since Mountain of Faith. And I've lost faith on Touhou Extras so far.

Except for a couple of really stand out tracks, this probably has the worst music overall too.

Cleared Easy and got 144,754,730 with RaymooA but I think that if you go for all blues and stuff you can get three times that or something similar.

And wtf, it's Aya all over again during stage 4 and that stupid survival card.

edit2: despite all the negative commentary, I like the fact that stages are more enjoyable too given you have to move more and stare less. The 'more lives available' coupled with the independent bombing system make things easier.
NOW REACHES THE FATAL ATTRACTION BE DESCRIBED AS "HELLSINKER". DECIDE DESTINATION.
Sasupoika

Post by Sasupoika »

I just don't know how to score. After my 1cc, I improved survival vastly. I popped only two red ufos, rest mixed and blue.

But score was still 150 million before the boss.
ImageImage
lmagus

Post by lmagus »

To score go for all blue UFOs, kill lots of enemies and let the UFO bar fill, and get a 8.0x multiplier..

Or tri-colour UFO when there are lots of red fairies in the screen. Changes their colour from red to blue and vice versa.
Momijitsuki

Post by Momijitsuki »

Sasupoika wrote:I just don't know how to score. After my 1cc, I improved survival vastly. I popped only two red ufos, rest mixed and blue.

But score was still 150 million before the boss.
Simply put, you have to memorize when the UFOs show up and what type of items are more prevalent at the time where you collect three to summon a large UFO. If there are a lot of blue items on screen, have your UFO collection planned out so you can collect three blue ones. This will make a large blue UFO show up and absorb all of the blue point items. Destroy the UFO before it goes away for 8x multiplier for every point item taken. It all adds up really fast.

However, when there are lots of red items on the screen, collect one UFO of each color to bring out a rainbow UFO, which serves the same purpose as a blue UFO, only in the opposite way. Red power items are treated as blue point items, and vice-versa, when they are absorbed. However, when destroying those, the maximum multiplier value is only 4x, but it's still a very significant part of scoring.

That is, if you've got the game well enough memorized to pull all of that off. Sometimes it's just easier to collect red UFOs for extra lives and green UFOs after that for extra bombs.
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

From what I gather, it's much better to go for red UFOs on the first stage to get two "free" extends. Any score you make on that stage will be trumped by a single blue UFO on stage 3+, anyway, so it's better to invest in lives as they are counted at the end of the game as well.
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
Momijitsuki

Post by Momijitsuki »

At this point, I've just been maxing out lives and then worrying about bombs, and taking opportunities for scoring UFOs when they come. But that's just because I'm trying just to survive here. xD
Heartbeam

Post by Heartbeam »

Also not to be ignored is the base item value. Abosolutely no good to amass point items if they only tickle your score. The way in which it increases through small UFOs has been changed since the first trial, and instead you will gain a 1,000 point bonus for every small UFO collected while a large one is present on the screen. Personally I don't think it's as exciting as chaining rainbow UFOs all the time, but that's what counts now.

Easy - Sanae B
Heartbeam - 910,995,950 - ALL - 0.100% - [Replay]

The top of the screen seems to be significantly lower compared to previous games.
Last edited by Heartbeam on Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Momijitsuki

Post by Momijitsuki »

Yeah, I forgot to mention that. When I'm only collecting red UFOs, I'll collect all other non-changing non-red UFOs on the screen before I finish off the large red UFO that shows up. That way later on the bonuses will be a little sweeter when I try to bring up my score once I have more lives as a safety net. I do like not having to dash up to the PoC all the time though, since the risk has little reward when UFOs aren't involved.

Oh yeah, what significance in endgame bonuses do remaining lives, bombs, and graze count have?

EDIT: Oh yeah, that's a nice score too by the way, Heartbeam. Go for the 1 billion! :P
Heartbeam

Post by Heartbeam »

Small experiment with this run here, stage six as Sanae B. The idea is to try and make the stage portion more predictable and score-friendly. Especially so in securing the appearance of a UFO near the end of Nue's appearance, only she doesn't drop off a cluster of point items. A bug or influenced by something else? The individual items will be counted.

The length of time into the stage at which the third summoned UFO is destroyed is exaggerated a bit. It would be better to destroy it earlier for more freedom in collecting the next small blue UFOs and you still won't risk having it fly off during the last portion. Then again, it's flashing and those small moments could turn it into the right color at a bad time. An alternative is to try and hold off destroying the last UFO-carrying fairy (should be solid blue), but not too long that it despawns with Nue's appearance.

Even after this setup I don't know how to get the small UFO in the right place at the right time so a bomb may very well be expended in obtaining it. Certain characters will need a little more planning to let the UFO drift into them with the bomb activated, and take care not to obliterate the soon-to-be summoned one.

Is this worth it? Not as much of an extra gain as I would have liked, doesn't apply to all shot types, bomb eater, but it does away with the counting game should you choose to take out the waves as they come in.

No idea about the clear bonus, but it doesn't change by more than a few million between runs flushing with lives and 0/0 clears.
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

I didn't count, but it's something close to 8 million per remaining life on Easy, so you shouldn't worry about dying at all, but a life is still worth more than a blue/multicolored UFO on the first stage or two. The game gives you 8 heart pieces in total (= 2 extends, + 1 full in stage 4) for bosses/midbosses, so ideally you should be looking at getting two red UFOs in the first two stages for optimal gain.

Also, just played my first Easy and Normal credits on a very shitty keyboard. Both survival runs, both finished with around 290 million (clear on Easy, gameover on stage 5 boss on Normal). Won't be submitting these, will wait until I get home and have enough time to play.

Btw, the amount of point items in the game is nuts. :o
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
Momijitsuki

Post by Momijitsuki »

Yeah, don'tcha wish you could just fly up to the PoC and have them be worth as much as the point items in PCB/Imperishable Night? xD

Almost completed Normal. Byakuren's second to last card just makes me want to scream, since I'm using MarisaA.
Heartbeam

Post by Heartbeam »

This is what I'm seeing and receiving.

So far it looks more appealing to summon the rainbow UFOs in stage one for the bonus to the base item value. How did you bring up that estimate for the life bonus?
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Uh… okay, I think I need more precise information before giving any more estimations. xD Seems that lives don't really factor into the end-of-game bonus. I'll try asking DJS guys, maybe they figured it out.

[EDIT]
Okay, they replied!
helios_zzl wrote:easy: (life*500k) + (bomb*250k) + (power*1m) + (base point item value*100) + 6m
normal: (life*1m) + (bomb*0.5m) + (power*1m) + (base point item value*100) + 6m
hard: (life*2m) + (bomb*1m) + (power*1m) + (base point item value*100) + 6m
lunatic: (life*3m) + (bomb*1.5m) + (power*1m) + (base point item value*100) + 6m
extra: (life*3m) + (bomb*1.5m) + (power*1m) + (base point item value*100) + 7m
Indeed, hoarding lives is pointless in this game, even more so than in EoSD. Which is actually very cool.
Sasupoika

Post by Sasupoika »

Normal - Sanae A
Sasupoika - 343903260 - Stage 6 - 0.000% - Have a replay.

Hahaha. Might have gotten better score if I had actually 1cc'd the game and succesfully scored stage 6.
But I am very happy with the score.
I did some stupid mistakes though.
ImageImage
lmagus

Post by lmagus »

Easy - Reimu B
lmagus - 162,313,580 - ALL - 1.290% - Replay
EPS21

Post by EPS21 »

Clearing the game with all the characters in each mode gives you a nice little stamp next to it when choosing your difficulty :mrgreen:

All Normal mode
ReimuA
EPS21 - 258,260,280 - ALL - 0.0%
ReimuB
EPS21 - 295,496,380 - ALL - 0.1%

MarisaA
EPS21 - 366,112,800 - ALL - 0.0%
MarisaB
EPS21 - 173,432,670 - ALL - 0.0%

SanaeA
EPS21 - 224,054,490 - ALL - 0.1%
SanaeB
EPS21 - 301,833,000 - ALL - 0.0%

Hard and Extra scores coming up. What's the difference between an ALL and an ALL D on the scoreboards btw?
Momijitsuki

Post by Momijitsuki »

ALL D means it's a Demo clear.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
Momijitsuki

Post by Momijitsuki »

It's pretty much a direct copy of Shinki's second-to-last pattern-- that's what I was getting at. :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zhBuDOcZE0#t=4m13s

It seems like there are a handful of PC-98 Touhou references in this game, and I love it for that.

It's funny how those other two other patterns are similar as well.
Sasupoika

Post by Sasupoika »

New highscore.

Normal Sanae A
Sasupoika - 408 008 030 - Stage 6 - 1.1%

I accidentally pushed retry instead save it as replay. So no replay for you.
The lag is because I played at less powerful computer.

Ps. I still didn't 1cc. FFFFFFFFFFFFF.
ImageImage
Heartbeam

Post by Heartbeam »

Okay, it crashed at 999M this time. Maybe I should have saved the replay early but I wanted to make sure the error still happened after collecting the treasure.

Not the greatest run so far but I'll consider the goal met with this screenshot at hand. A little grazing out on midboss Ichirin's lasers (but not the supergraze method) and supergrazing on her opener. That's all I'm willing to do until I'm more secure with my consistency.
LtC

Post by LtC »

Normal - Sanae A
LtC - 556,136,640 - ALL - 0.140% - Replay (Lx0, Bx0)

First actual scorerun attempt where I don't completely screw up in the beginning. Can't believe I managed to pull off ALL after failing some attacks where I had 100% success rate before.
Momijitsuki

Post by Momijitsuki »

Heartbeam wrote:Okay, it crashed at 999M this time. Maybe I should have saved the replay early but I wanted to make sure the error still happened after collecting the treasure.

Not the greatest run so far but I'll consider the goal met with this screenshot at hand. A little grazing out on midboss Ichirin's lasers (but not the supergraze method) and supergrazing on her opener. That's all I'm willing to do until I'm more secure with my consistency.
Wait a second. Hitting 999M breaks the game?

That's hilarious.