DoDonPachi (New Thread #4)

malik11

Post by malik11 »

LtC wrote:I suppose it's just the fact that it's easier to...get almost impenetratable walls shot at you if you don't know what you're doing.
Indeed. That is of course why they call it a 'bullet curtain' game.
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

Connecting the first half of the level with the second in stage 5 is one of the hardest chaining tricks in the game though.
Arvandor

Post by Arvandor »

No, I'm with LtC. Stage 5 is DEFINITELY harder. Once you've figured out exactly what you need to do to move through the hard part, it about evens out with stage 6, but until that point, stage 5 is a brutal pain in the ass, while stage 6 is much MUCH more "wing-it" friendly.

I no-missed stage 6 (minus boss) dozens of times before I EVER no-missed stage 5 (minus boss, just to be fair, but the stage 5 boss isn't that hard imo, even without knowing safespots).
LtC

Post by LtC »

Ltc - 50,345,050 - C-L - 1-6 - 234 Hit

I made this run solely to test out making a recording input. Stage 2 trainwrecked... max chain there...150? -_- Stage 3 trainwrecked... I killed off 1 of the ships that clear the bullets off screen by accident when I tried to take the bee icon (I didn't even get the icon in the end :lol:) . Well stage 4 i figured I'd try out chaining the later part starting from the highway, I never tried it before and I've always just tried to survive that part but it ended up pretty well in the end (234HIT). Dead by halfway of stage 5 (I did no-bomb all the way) and from there I was pretty much fucked up by the stage with no power on my spread shot.

If I'd just have properly chained stage 2 and not messed up during stage 3 maybe I could've reached the second loop :/ (55KK and you get to second loop, right?). Then I'd have just bombed 2 lives worth of bombs on the 6th boss instead of just trying to clear it with no bombs without even having practised the boss. Another hilarious part was when I died at 5th boss when it barely had any HP left...

This was a horrible horrible run (Well not as bad as my previous run where I get to stage 5 with no miss no bomb and 42M but end up dying my last death with 47M before stage 6 boss by a powerup ship before the sixth boss with no other bullets even on screen.) but just to be fair since I recorded the run for testing purposes I'll upload it so if anyone wants to see a ddp run gone horribly wrong knock yourself out...
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?y5tb2yj0imy

EDIT:

Ltc - 50'453'900 - C-L - 1-6 - 488 Hit

A run that I shouldn't have played, I was way too tired and I died overall 3 times when I had no idea or couldn't see what hit me... Well at least the hit count looks better since this time I didn't screw up stage 2 chaining. I recorded this one as well but I'm too lazy to upload it. Expect better scores in the future
Emuser

Post by Emuser »

I played once today to pass the time, and I ended up with:

DAD - 61,948,110 - A-L - 2-1 - 475 Hit

and heres the .inp for anyone interested in watching it. I messed up pretty badly on stage 4, and against stage 6 boss. I did manage to keep a full stage chain in stage 2 and a good chain in stage 5. I can normally do better than this but I was surprised to see the score list and how I'm actually matching up to some of them, I never really visited here and assumed that there'd be scores all in the 100 billions or something. o_O

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?didzhjmoxxr
Arvandor

Post by Arvandor »

Nope, given my placement in the list, the competition is pretty slack here in the DDP thread.
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

yeah almost everyone doesn't take chaining seriously so the scores aren't great. You could say only the top 10 players have taken the game seriously at some point.

Btw I tried to watch your inp but it lost synch in stage 1. You must specify which emulator you recorded with so people can play it back.
Emuser

Post by Emuser »

eh, sorry I didnt really know that would be a hassle to have to go and find the right version of mame to watch it. My version is mame32 0.90u1
LtC

Post by LtC »

Made another run, I feel like my score goes higher every run but I play worse each time. This time I died at stage 3 boss and right at beginning of stage 4. Well at least I made it to the second loop for the first time.

Ltc - 56,531,380 - C-L - 2-2 - 479 Hit

The ending after 1-6 cracked me up. I had no idea CAVE engrish was 'all your base are belong to us' -level.
captpain

Post by captpain »

LtC wrote:Made another run, I feel like my score goes higher every run but I play worse each time. This time I died at stage 3 boss and right at beginning of stage 4. Well at least I made it to the second loop for the first time.

Ltc - 56,531,380 - C-L - 2-2 - 479 Hit

The ending after 1-6 cracked me up. I had no idea CAVE engrish was 'all your base are belong to us' -level.
I have started recording my INP files which has encouraged me to keep playing even on bad runs. Guess what... my average score goes up, even though I feel like an idiot! :P
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

and I just beat my scooore >.<!!

PROMETHEUS - 505'740'390 - A-L - ALL - 835

Download Replay File
Download Wolfmameplus99 - to play it back
Download ddonpchj - addon required

oh my god ! A beautiful run, first bomb in 2-4, a no miss no bomb in 2-5, ended the run with 2 spare lives after a pretty kick-ass Hibachi fight and my score goes over 500M.

Thanks again to everyone who encouraged me!
jpj

Post by jpj »

congratulations !!
RegalSin wrote:Videogames took my life away like the Natives during colonial times.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Excellent work Prom! I knew you could do it.

Do you plan to increase that score?
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
captpain

Post by captpain »

O_O

Good work!
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Fantastic work and a jaw-dropping dedication there!!
I screamed out loud at that missed bomb in 2-2. Or that early chainbreak in 2-5. Or that broken chain in 2-6. Or that double death later in 2-6.
I know that 500mill was your goal, but you know....one less mistake and you have that 530mill....just a thought. :cry: :) :cry:
It's probably just a matter of time and much more importantly a matter of persistence, but what am I telling you.

YOU ARE GREAT!
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
LtC

Post by LtC »

Amazing. Congrats! Don't stop here though, next up 600m, then 700m and then that 788KK. Your scores seem to be pretty much safe on these boards though since you're pretty much d-d-d-dominating here, tells a lot about your play :)

By the way I watched your superplay vid the other day from your other run and it was amazing but the biggest jaw-drop was in 2-5 when you used a bomb and your chain didn't get cancelled. I remember I asked before if there was a possibility of chain continuing after bomb and I got a 'no'. I tested it out before a couple times and managed to do it on couple occasions when using the laser based bomb. I'm not really sure how it works, is it just a random bug or do you have to go through certain conditions to be able to continue the chain?

One more thing: I watched a few superplay vids from ddp a little while ago but most of them were A-L but there was a B-L and C-S as well. I was wondering if there was a decent C-L video or input file around?

Anyway once again congrats. Is this maybe a western record or are there other as good western scores as this?
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Man, excellent job Prometheus! There are not many people who can climb as high as you have right there. :)
Do you think you'll play the game some more?
LtC wrote:Is this maybe a western record or are there other as good western scores as this?
Current Western record holder, sikraiken, posted a 530 million score a couple years ago, but never released a video/input file for it. So you can treat Prome's run as such for most purposes. :)
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
jpj

Post by jpj »

i think your accomplishments deserve their own thread, and your run uploaded to youtube for posterity 8)

i actually hope you can put it to bed now (and start playing doj 8) )
RegalSin wrote:Videogames took my life away like the Natives during colonial times.
elfhentaifan

Post by elfhentaifan »

i think sikraiken is still better :(
RGB

Post by RGB »

Amazing replay PROMETHEUS, congrats 8)
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

thank you again guys
Ruldra wrote:Do you plan to increase that score?
I don't know, I think I will keep playing casually like I have been these past few months and if I'm lucky enough I can beat this score again. I don't do more than 1 or 2 runs a day anymore, I only play when I feel like it, for fun. But it's easier now because I'm playing with the right speed instead of 104%, so I get a substantially better success rate everywhere :p Now I can no miss no bomb the first loop about 45% of the time instead of 30% for example.
jpj wrote:i actually hope you can put it to bed now (and start playing doj Cool )
I really don't want to start another game with anything else than a keyboard, I'm so much better with that controller. So since no other STGs outside of MAME are playable that way... too bad! Also I wouldn't play DOJ unless I have no choice, I like Ketsui way better and Futari WAY way better !
LtC

Post by LtC »

PROMETHEUS wrote:I really don't want to start another game with anything else than a keyboard, I'm so much better with that controller. So since no other STGs outside of MAME are playable that way... too bad! Also I wouldn't play DOJ unless I have no choice, I like Ketsui way better and Futari WAY way better !
But DOJ does emulate pretty much perfectly on PC. The problem is though that it runs on ~64FPS and if you use V-sync to stabilize it to 60FPS you'll end up with huge input delay.

Later versions of the emulator emulate sound better and make it run on smooth 60FPS in all situations, also minor graphical glitches in the later version. The real problem with this is that in some situations the game has extra slowdown that the emulator itself doesn't detect. Like in later stage 3 when those small enemies that come in hordes, when you shoot them down there is brief slowdown similiar that you get when a lot of bullets are on screen. Same with the small enemies that flow from sides on stage 4 in some situations.

DOJ is perfectly playable on your computer with a keyboard but the only thing is that if you want it perfectly running you'll have to be playing on ~107% speed. Or maybe wait later releases on the emulator. This is the PS2 port though, I wouldn't expect seeing MAME having DOJ or other new CAVE stuff in the next 10 years :(
captpain

Post by captpain »

LtC wrote:
PROMETHEUS wrote:I really don't want to start another game with anything else than a keyboard, I'm so much better with that controller. So since no other STGs outside of MAME are playable that way... too bad! Also I wouldn't play DOJ unless I have no choice, I like Ketsui way better and Futari WAY way better !
But DOJ does emulate pretty much perfectly on PC. The problem is though that it runs on ~64FPS and if you use V-sync to stabilize it to 60FPS you'll end up with huge input delay.

Later versions of the emulator emulate sound better and make it run on smooth 60FPS in all situations, also minor graphical glitches in the later version. The real problem with this is that in some situations the game has extra slowdown that the emulator itself doesn't detect. Like in later stage 3 when those small enemies that come in hordes, when you shoot them down there is brief slowdown similiar that you get when a lot of bullets are on screen. Same with the small enemies that flow from sides on stage 4 in some situations.

DOJ is perfectly playable on your computer with a keyboard but the only thing is that if you want it perfectly running you'll have to be playing on ~107% speed. Or maybe wait later releases on the emulator. This is the PS2 port though, I wouldn't expect seeing MAME having DOJ or other new CAVE stuff in the next 10 years :(
What is the name of the emulator you use? Will it run well on my E8400 @3.00GHz?

And the version numbers too, if you don't mind 8) (I am 100% noobie with regards to PS2 emulation, if you couldn't tell)
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

captpain wrote:What is the name of the emulator you use? Will it run well on my E8400 @3.00GHz?
PCSX2, get the latest version and/or keep it up to date.
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

captpain wrote:What is the name of the emulator you use? Will it run well on my E8400 @3.00GHz?

And the version numbers too, if you don't mind 8)
Yeah this is pretty interesting I had no idea this was possible lol >.<
I think playing at 107% is not an option, DoDonPachi was slightly too hard at 104% and DOJ is known for being even more hardcore and fast, especially "white label", so I don't think it's reasonable to play it that way. But if all that's off in the gameplay when you play at 100% speed is slowdown in a few select parts, it might be good enough. I want to try now -_-

Edit : this emulator even has savestates which makes it improve further on the level select feature of the port~!
LtC

Post by LtC »

And the version numbers too, if you don't mind 8)
The older version that runs the game without any minor graphic glitches or additional slowdown is PCSX2 0.9.2 Graphics (GSdx plugin) are Direct3D9 rendered (Direct3D10 will cause graphic glitches). If you set Interlacing to Weave bff (saw-tooth) you'll get smoother graphics.

The one running with smooth 60FPS with minor graphic glitches and better sound with tiny slowdown in some situations is PCSX2 Playground 1.0.0395. Basically the newest release. I think PCSX2 0.9.5 Watermoose runs it as well as the playground version but with same issues.

Here's an example of the older version without smoother graphics and this is pretty much the graphic quality you can expect from the newer version. Sound is better on the newer versions though. Video runs at 60FPS since I'm not playing and recording with V-Sync on:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzCjwzkJQOU

This is the only PS2 game I've ever seen emulate without frame drops anywhere. I guess it's pretty lightweight.
captpain

Post by captpain »

I cannot wait to try this. Thanks for the info!
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

captpain wrote:I cannot wait to try this. Thanks for the info!
+1000
why haven't I heard of this before >.<
captpain

Post by captpain »

Got it working with Playground. There is definitely some graphical weirdness, but it runs perfectly smoothly.

Considering how quickly I'm getting wiped out, I think it's best (for me) to just learn to deal with it instead of trying to play with boosted speed.

Awesome. You've got your work cut out for you, PRO.
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

captpain wrote:Got it working with Playground. There is definitely some graphical weirdness, but it runs perfectly smoothly.
How bad is the graphical weirdness ?