DoDonPachi (New Thread #4)

LtC

Post by LtC »

captpain wrote:Got it working with Playground. There is definitely some graphical weirdness, but it runs perfectly smoothly.

Considering how quickly I'm getting wiped out, I think it's best (for me) to just learn to deal with it instead of trying to play with boosted speed.

Awesome. You've got your work cut out for you, PRO.
You might want to try messing around with the graphics plugins and get most of it fixed.

Here are some screenshots with the GSdx9 plugin:
Older version with smoother graphics set on
Playground Direct3D9
Playground Direct3D10

By the way I think it would be better to create an own thread to this than posting all this in DDP high score thread ;)

EDIT: In the newer versions there are lots and lots of different settings/speedhacks etc which affect the game. I haven't personally tried everything so it's very possible to get better results than what I have.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Hmm, I might try this. DOJ is my favorite PS2 game but I have a lot of trouble using a controller...if it does work perfectly on my PC (no framedrops or weird slowdowns) then I'll switch to emulation.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
captpain

Post by captpain »

PROMETHEUS wrote:
captpain wrote:Got it working with Playground. There is definitely some graphical weirdness, but it runs perfectly smoothly.
How bad is the graphical weirdness ?
For some reason, the background "tiles" have these sort of seams... Like I see a tiny thin black grid. Otherwise, it looks like the screenshots that were just posted.

Should someone post another thread?

edit: Turned off forced aspect ratio, enabled stretching, enabled interlacing. The seams are gone and it looks great.
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

An admin should make a new thread and move the related posts :p

Oh by the way, what about Espgaluda and more importantly Mushihimesama ???!!
elfhentaifan

Post by elfhentaifan »

Ruldra wrote:Hmm, I might try this. DOJ is my favorite PS2 game but I have a lot of trouble using a controller
try harder?
LtC

Post by LtC »

PROMETHEUS wrote: Espgaluda
Horrible frame rate drops, not even close to playable. I haven't tried messing around with the plugins much though.
PROMETHEUS wrote:Mushihimesama
It drains a lot more from your computer than DOJ. More frame drops from bigger effects. Other than that it runs quite good, almost perfect.

It didn't run very well and there were bugs in sound/music etc in the earlier versions and it only became smooth on the versions released in the last few months.

PS2 emulation is still developing a lot and there have been a lot of releases lately so I guess the games might be able to run better in the near future when new versions are released ;)
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

PROMETHEUS wrote:Oh by the way, what about Mushihimesama ???!!
This is also relevant to my interests =p
elfhentaifan wrote:try harder?
I tried hard enough before but I won't ever reach the skill I have with a keyboard, especially on bullet-hell games.
mastermx wrote:
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

This is hot. DOJ and Mushihimesama emulated... man ~!
LtC

Post by LtC »

captpain wrote:edit: Turned off forced aspect ratio, enabled stretching, enabled interlacing. The seams are gone and it looks great.
Wow. I tried these as well and now the game looks the same on the Playground version as it did with the smoother graphics on the older version (The first screenshot I posted). Not to mention all the minor graphic glitches are gone and it runs on 100% speed :)
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

win
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

LtC wrote:
It drains a lot more from your computer than DOJ. More frame drops from bigger effects. Other than that it runs quite good, almost perfect.
Did you try out Maniac and Ultra? I can't imagine emulators running Ultra mode well....it'll either have too much slowdown or none at all.
mastermx wrote:
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

Ruldra wrote:
LtC wrote:
Did you try out Maniac and Ultra? I can't imagine emulators running Ultra mode well....it'll either have too much slowdown or none at all.
Yeah I really want to know about Ultra too. If it runs really well I will want to play that and definitely not DOJ !
LtC

Post by LtC »

Ruldra wrote:
LtC wrote:
bullets =/= effects

As far as I could tell the things that cause the slowdown are effects like explosions. You can expect small frame drops ( depending on your computer spec ) on places like stage 3 when blowing up parts from the big bug (or whatever, I suppose it's not called a boss).

I haven't tried mushi on pcsx2 much. All I've done is played some Maniac and a run of Arrange all the way to the true final boss. Ultra needs to be unlocked I think (?). The slowdown you get in certain places you should also get in any other difficulty, amount of bullets doesn't really matter. On the contrary, I think there's less frame drops on arrange because there's more natural slowdown due to the amount of bullets.

But like I said the game isn't nearly as lightweight as DOJ, you should expect some frame rate drops even on better machines. Well you can also put extended frameskip on to lessen the amount of slowdown but it gets less enjoyable that way of course. Unlike DOJ mushi doesn't get graphical bugs when using Direct3D10 and it runs faster that way.

I might be completely wrong about this (So don't yell at me if Skynet goes online when you try to play the game on PCSX2), you will have to go and try it yourself and see if it's enjoyable for you or not. It depends a lot on your computer. Would also be nice if people shared the settings and plugins they've got the games running best on as well as the games that work well with the emulator. Even more of a reason to have separate thread for this ;)
Last edited by LtC on Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

yeah we really do need a separate thread ^^

Thanks for the info. I have a rather high end computer, I'll try mushihimesama when I can and tell you guys what it's like on it.
LtC

Post by LtC »

Not to go too much off topic:

I've made a little progress on DDP myself. Starting to get the hang of always chaining stage 2 and not dying 65% of the time during stage 3 anymore due to changed tactics in couple places. I still suck later though.

Ltc - 58,491,730 - C-L - 2-2 - 489 Hit

Stages 1 to 3 went pretty well even though I got a bad HIT count from the third boss due to stupid walls I have to go around and stage 4 fairly well until I had totally retarded death at the boss. And going to stage 5 really sucks without power on the spread shot -_-''. Well, one death stage 5 and 3 really stupid deaths in stage 6. I suppose I'm not allowed to get into second loop with extra lives :(

I recorded input but I did it on MAMEUI32 0.128. I really can't stand using WolfMAME because it doesn't allow me to pause or fast forward the intro. The problem is that I'd love the share the input (And I can play it myself just fine) but I can't see the file in the folder and even if I use windows (lol) search to find it and try to copy it, it doesn't work because it copies only a shortcut. I can only play if I write the filename and select open... it's like the whole input file has become some sort of ghost file :/
This totally beats me, does anyone know if there are newer versions of this emulator and if it might fix this problem, or maybe if someone else has had this issue?
LtC

Post by LtC »

Ltc - 61,473,250 - C-L - 2-2 - 485 Hit

My input files work properly now . I studied the KO's stage 6 strategy for A-L and applied it here. Overall this was worse than the run before but at least my score improved :/

(I will not upload this one unless insisted for proof, the input file has 2-3 sucky runs before this one where I play like a braindead so I doubt anyone would even bother watching it)
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

his path for 1-6 is wrong actually, you can chain the whole stage for 20M additional points. The parts he's not doing are rather hard to do but not risky and a lot of fun I think. Check out my video if you wanna try :p And don't hesitate to ask questions about chaining details, often it's not so easy to figure out just by looking at the video and talking to someone who can do it would help I think.
LtC

Post by LtC »

PROMETHEUS wrote:his path for 1-6 is wrong actually, you can chain the whole stage for 20M additional points. The parts he's not doing are rather hard to do but not risky and a lot of fun I think. Check out my video if you wanna try :p And don't hesitate to ask questions about chaining details, often it's not so easy to figure out just by looking at the video and talking to someone who can do it would help I think.
Yeah I have your 488M run and I've seen it. The parts I aim to chain right now you two do almost exactly the same but I suppose I'll gradually be able to chain it all. Well because I'm using C-L I can't really copy anyone's runs and strategies so I have to improvise a bit, some parts are easier, some harder. Like I don't think I can turn on god mode like you do with A-L bullet shot at end of 1-6 boss last attack x_x.

That 777HIT was quite impressive though, I hadn't seen the end of your 1-6 before this. I'll have to try it in practice later ;)
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

LtC wrote:The parts I aim to chain right now you two do almost exactly the same
eheh that's because I TOTALLY copied each of his moves for that part :p

Good luck adapting to C-L.. I think you will have a hard time sometimes but it can be done.
LtC wrote:777HIT
JackPot
The part connecting the two large red planes is very hard to do, I don't know how a type C could do that. With A-L it requires nearly frame-perfect timing already @_@
LtC

Post by LtC »

Ltc - 87,232,680 - C-L - 2-4 - 483 Hit

input: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?jm2zzjnexn4 (Recorded with MAMEUIFX32 0.129u3 (Jan 29 2009))

Everything by the book until 1-4 start. Chained stage 4 horribly (well you couldn't really call it chaining since I managed to chain nothing :lol:). Stage 5 onward I just played for survival. First death by 5th boss (Just a couple more shots -_-).
Up from start of stage 2-2 all was new to me. I had a death at 2-2 and 2-3 so no no-miss bonus for me :(. Also: Missed the 1UP at stage 2-3 and went into stage 2-4 no bombs. Funnily I chain stage 2-4 better than 1-4 and I do amazingly good until I finally reach the bomb and lower my guard...

I guess I should start playing DOJ now, though I don't know if I can achieve inner peace before I break 100M. Well at least I'll be stealing Buttman's place as 5th on the C type chart and add a C-L in there ;). C'mon Ravid!

Cool!
Arvandor

Post by Arvandor »

And the downside to playing at work is...?

I was having a very good run. Good enough that I felt confident I'd actually be able to post another high score for the first time in quite a while.

Well, right at the beginning of stage 2-2, I get a call from my boss, and since I was of course recording the run, there was no pause function. I proceeded to die... Alot... It's pretty impossible to talk on the phone and concentrate on a shooter at the same time =/ I can LISTEN and play okayish, but if I have to speak... That's just too much brain power apparently.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

This reminds me of my friend who got fired when his boss caught him playing WoW at work :lol:
mastermx wrote:
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

I got owned by text messages a couple of times when I was playing this for the 2-ALL. I would receive one, read it quickly between two stages, and then think about what was written while playing the level and die -_-

My cat and my mother owned me a couple of times too.
charlie chong

Post by charlie chong »

i play on a cab so i been got loads of time like that.. i managed to answer the doorbell and let my friend in once without dying.. i was pretty proud of that!
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

oh ye and I usually used the 1-4 boss bug to make a pause and read text messages, go to the toilets or whatever lol
LtC

Post by LtC »

And this is why I stopped recording runs with wolfmame, I got a call from my boss when playing DDP and of course that run was screwed because of that :(
Arvandor

Post by Arvandor »

When I was trying for my first ever 1cc (Ikaruga) I got owned on the stone-like by the alarm here in the guard-shack =) Fortunately I had 3 lives stocked up and a pause button, so I still managed the 1cc, but with no stock left.

I think it's safe to say I won't get fired. At the worst, if someone actually cares they'll just tell me to stop. However, everyone who works at the site I do knows I play games to keep myself sane, and no one cares. Hell, once my supervisor stopped by (a rarity, since it's a 45 mile drive to my site) while I was playing Triggerheart Exelica (and once again, I was on the last boss, and it was going to be my first clear of the game) and I was like "hang on a sec, I'm almost done." He couldn't relate to why I was so pleased with myself for the 1cc though, but he didn't seem to mind at all.
LtC

Post by LtC »

Ltc - 98,539,130 - C-L - 2-4 - 596 Hit
Piss poor run but I managed to get a thing or two right on the earlier stages.

Replay input (wolfmameplus99):
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?qmmn4vyymy2

I swapped back to wolfmame again from mameui32 because I had trouble with inputs before. Now that I play with wolfmame it feels the game runs a little slower than before. I looked an old replay of mine and compared it to KO's and PROM's run and I'm already ~3seconds ahead when we reach the first boss...
Feels like slug mode now, but I tested it runs at the same speed as other replays/videos. I'm always too paranoid about this stuff @_@
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

You might have been using "sync to monitor refresh" option on MAME32, which causes the game to run at 104% speed (forces 60FPS instead of 57,5). However, the replay speed isn't necessarily the same as the original run's speed, because you can check or uncheck that option or other options affecting speed before launching the replay. My run that's on the video was played at 104% but the video is at 100%.

It's good to pay attention to this. Hit F11 or whatever is the right key for displaying FPS info during gameplay and check the speed % counter : it should be at 100. The FPS count should oscillate between 57 and 58. 4% speed does make a difference as I experienced when I started to play at 100% again and did success statistics.
Ravid

Post by Ravid »

Holy hell LtC, you seem to be getting better at this game way faster than I did... maybe I should pick this up again.
Updated btw.