Truxton

CMoon

Post by CMoon »

KER-IST!!! How many stages are there in this game? I had to credit feed up to level 4 or 5 (Genesis version which is probably easier than the arcade), and at this point super fast ships kept zooming in from the top of the screen and annihilating my face!

Seems like this one has a lot of memorization in it.
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
ARM

Post by ARM »

Nice to see an old classic being played.

As high as my own score was , I have seen higher...

Members of the board maybe familar with MILLS (-M-).

I once saw him playing Truxton .at around 11pm , he was on 18mn points ++

He started early in the afternoon, and when I left just before midnight he was STILL on the same credit getting to 20mn + pts.

I was told the next day by my friend, Mills losta life at around 24mn pts+.

He became sooo mad, he punched the cabinet screen, covering with his blood....as if there was not enough red on the screen !!!!

He must have sat on that same seat for around 12hours, non-stop !!!
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

ARM wrote:I was told the next day by my friend, Mills losta life at around 24mn pts+.

He became sooo mad, he punched the cabinet screen, covering with his blood....as if there was not enough red on the screen !!!!
jeez sounds like me...only i'm not that good. :? i used to be one of the despised people who would go through controllers at an alarming rate. i even broke my GBA's screen while playing CotM.

also, for someone who can double loop Strikers on demand, i would not expect this kind of behavior. although, i suppose it was also years ago that this happened.
I have no sig whatsoever.
ARM

Post by ARM »

Yeah...I never, ever smashed a cabinet - joystick or screen.

When you put soooo much effort into a game, you can get mad pretty quickly....around 12hours with no toliet breaks is kinda HARD !

And yes, Mills was quite a bit younger then.....
incognoscente

Post by incognoscente »

CMoon: the Genesis Truxton counts 5 stages per lap.
ARM

Post by ARM »

Just met Mills yesterday at the London meeting

I was reliving that day with him..the joystick had played up on him once before on the 3rd clock, and then it went funny again...

Mills is a very calm and cool player...copes with situations most players start to fret about and start peering at the screen closely and move their shoulders with their dodging ...I'm sure you all have seen people do that in Arcades ( or home even ? !) with CALMNESS.
yojo!

Post by yojo! »

ARM wrote:Just met Mills yesterday at the London meeting

I was reliving that day with him..the joystick had played up on him once before on the 3rd clock, and then it went funny again...

Mills is a very calm and cool player...copes with situations most players start to fret about and start peering at the screen closely and move their shoulders with their dodging ...I'm sure you all have seen people do that in Arcades ( or home even ? !) with CALMNESS.
What kind of stick were you guys using back in the days ?. was they leafs stick or 'click' stick ?
ARM

Post by ARM »

micro-switched red electrocoin joysticks.
Darkcomet72

Post by Darkcomet72 »

ARM wrote:I'm sure you all have seen people do that in Arcades ( or home even ? !) with CALMNESS.
There are no arcade machines in America. :lol: :cry: :lol:
Ed: He asked for mustard Eddy! Do you have corn in your ears mister?
yojo!

Post by yojo! »

Yojo! - area 173 - 941,420 - [PCB]

I need councelling; I am a truxton junkie.
DEL

Truxton

Post by DEL »

Nice to see you're sticking with it yojo!

Have you mastered the ship at full speed yet?
yojo!

Re: Truxton

Post by yojo! »

DEL wrote:Nice to see you're sticking with it yojo!

Have you mastered the ship at full speed yet?
Almost... I find it easier to get through level 1 and 2 at "speed 2"(i.e. 2 power up) rather that full speed. I then witch to max speed beginning of stage 3. So far I always collapse at the beginning of stage 5 (when the meteorites join the "destroy yojo! party"). I have plenty of life left (like 10 or so) but can't recover from it.
yojo!

Post by yojo! »

Yojo! - area 177 - 1,053,130 - [PCB]

the last level is just insane...
DEL

Last level

Post by DEL »

Keep going yojo! you're close.

The positioning before the last level's 2 midBosses is mainly bottom dead centre with all 5 lasers. The odd small left and right movement and that's all.
If you die just before the last Boss, use the whole screen to go round in a large circle and lure the small enemies into a position where you can sweep them out.

Regs, DEL
MJR

Post by MJR »

Ahh.. truxton.. aside R-type, this is one of my all-time favourite games, ever.
I used to play megadrive version to death, it was incredibly difficult to get through the first loop.. now, 15 years later, I noticed that I have pretty much forgotten completely how to play this.

But I must submit a score, for the love of this game. Even though I suck big time now..

MJR - area 63 - 259,180 - [MAME]

..and I must get the PCB from somewhere, somehow.. me wwantss it..

PS. Did I read someone on this forum 1cc:ing Saint Dragon? That's a massive achievement!
yojo!

Post by yojo! »

MJR wrote:..and I must get the PCB from somewhere, somehow.. me wwantss it..
here you go:

http://forum.shmups.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5633

give that puppy some love.

improved my score a little bit.

Yojo! - area 177 - 1,258,890 - [PCB]

I'm almost there; I die just at the last level's 2nd mini boss... So close and yet so far away from heaven.
DEL, I am now going full speed all the way. I upgraded my happ joysticks with swansa like sticks and It helped a lot. The happ one suck for shooters; the stick kept bouncing back and forth everytimes I tried to perform the quick left to right move. No such problem with the new sticks. Thanks a lot for your support; it really helps.
MJR

Post by MJR »

yojo! wrote:
MJR wrote:..and I must get the PCB from somewhere, somehow.. me wwantss it..
here you go:

http://forum.shmups.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5633
Hey, thanks! :D

EDIT: It was sold already! I was too late.. :?
SFKhoa

Post by SFKhoa »

I don't know, the table itself doesn't feel right if the best scores in the scoreboard are "rounded/estimated" rather than exact.
MJR

Post by MJR »

Maybe we could ask people in this case to try have a new go at the game and then post the best score that comes up. After all I'm sure someone like Deli would still position in the very top three with no effort, plus we would have better looking table.

At least that's what I've tried to do. Come up with the most recent best score.
Or a one that has a screenshot.

How would you feel about that, as a scoreboard rule? :)
DEL

Truxton

Post by DEL »

SFKhoa - My score is rounded to 10mil+ because the @@@ing arcade manager switched the game off on me during my 7th loop. I was going for a 10 hour 14 loop 20,000,000 that day and I would have got it. My lives were still extended beyond the max 9 displayable when the game was switched off and I was gaining on average +1 life upon every loop at that point.
I could play it again and put up an exact score, but I'm not bothered, as I reached a level where I could stay on as long as I could stay awake.

yojo! - Keep going!!

Regs, DEL

Ps. MJR - It was me who mentioned one of my friends 1CCing Saint Dragon. It was ARC. (He'll be at the Dec 10th London Meet).
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

i wasn't aware that st dragon got so massively hard... i'll have try it again.
I have no sig whatsoever.
MJR

Post by MJR »

Once I put a second thought for it, I decided that I am actually perfectly fine if older scores are allowed; After all I got some neat scores on my memorycard so why not put them here as well and compare.. plus I can provide a screenshot for every one of them :)
yojo!

Post by yojo! »

- area 188 - 1,426,030 -

DEL: I reached the final boss (I think ?). 2 big blue ships going in circle. I ran out of bomb and couldn't find the blind spot (bottom , middle right ?). Men what a beautifull game...

EDIT: DEL I finally reached the final boss (area 199). How did you manage to survive :) . Can you beat it with the minimal pewe gun ?
MJR

Re: Truxton

Post by MJR »

DEL wrote:
Ps. MJR - It was me who mentioned one of my friends 1CCing Saint Dragon. It was ARC. (He'll be at the Dec 10th London Meet).
too bad I'm not living in UK anymore.. :(
SAM

Post by SAM »

Just received a Japanese version PCB today.

SAM - Area 50 - 195,130 - PCB

Just cannot get pass the three area 24 laser firing enemy without bombing.

I have tried using all three weapons on them; I have tried staying in the center; I have tried staying at one side. And yet still cannot figure out how to deal with them.

Any hints on this part?
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
DEL

Last Boss

Post by DEL »

yojo! - The Last Boss is not too bad with minimum firepower as long as you tap fast or use an autofire. As far as I can remember, its just a rotating spread followed by a simple left right dodge ie. stay in the middle, position for the rotating spread then move left and right. Repeat 'til it dies.

SAM - I'm not sure which enemy you mean? Maybe yojo! can help you with that one :idea:

Regs, DEL
SAM

Re: Last Boss

Post by SAM »

DEL wrote:SAM - I'm not sure which enemy you mean? Maybe yojo! can help you with that one :idea:
Opps sorry, I should be more specific.

At around area 24 (before Stage 1 Boss), there comes 3 enemies. They would fire twin laser at you if you are in front of them; if you are at their sides, they would fire 3-ways bullets at you.

I can handle them if the game is set to Easy, but in Normal, their increased rate of fire combine with the faser bullets speed shoot me down every time. Currently I have to bomb my way through this part.
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
yojo!

Re: Last Boss

Post by yojo! »

SAM wrote:
DEL wrote:SAM - I'm not sure which enemy you mean? Maybe yojo! can help you with that one :idea:
Opps sorry, I should be more specific.

At around area 24 (before Stage 1 Boss), there comes 3 enemies. They would fire twin laser at you if you are in front of them; if you are at their sides, they would fire 3-ways bullets at you.
I usually use the blue weapons. Move at the top left of the screen before their appear. As the 1st one show up on the left, go right in a 1/2 circle motion (180 to the right, going down) and stay in the middle next to him. This focuses all 3 beams on him. As the 2nd and 3rd one show up, bomb once as the middle one fires at you (that will cancel his bullets).
At that stage the enemie on the left should be dead. go all the way down at the bottom of the screen and move left to right to avoid the laser beam. Always try to stay around the middle of the screen, otherwise they will fire bullets if you go to far left or right.

I finally 1 credited that puppy. the 2nd loop is insane everything is moving really fast. It going to get some time to get to the 3rd loop...

Yojo! - area 221 - 1,555,830 - [PCB]
SFKhoa

Post by SFKhoa »

SFKhoa wrote:Wow, can't believed I missed out on this amazing old-timer of a shmup. I just played it recently and it's really good IMO.

SFKhoa - 300,060 - Area 87
Why isn't this score in the table? :(
yojo!

Post by yojo! »

SFKhoa wrote:
SFKhoa wrote:Wow, can't believed I missed out on this amazing old-timer of a shmup. I just played it recently and it's really good IMO.

SFKhoa - 300,060 - Area 87
Why isn't this score in the table? :(
oops. sorry about that. Added Sam as well.