Truxton

Battletoad

Re: Truxton

Post by Battletoad »

lgb wrote:
DEL wrote:The difference between Truxton and Tatsujin isn't enough to worry about.
the fact that there is a difference makes it enough to worry about
And the difference isn´t even minimal, it´s very clearly recognizable, at least in the Mega Drive version. I only have the PAL cartridge, but can play it as Truxton and Tatsujin on my modded Mega Drive.
DEL

Post by DEL »

Well I'm only referring to the arcade versions and trust me -> when you reach the level of play where you can counter stop the game (5hrs+ per credit), the difference doesn't matter at all.
(You'll be able to do it on both)
Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

But how many people do actually reach that point? ;)
I think I´ll try the Arcade version, want to see how hard it is compared to the MD version.
Mills

Post by Mills »

Battletoad wrote:But how many people do actually reach that point? ;)
I think I´ll try the Arcade version, want to see how hard it is compared to the MD version.
Shouldn't make much difference, once you get into that mind/body zone during play, it just depends how long your willing to keep going endurance wise.
toaplan_shmupfan

Post by toaplan_shmupfan »

I think this may have been posted elsewhere but it's worth repeating here...

Make the Genesis version of Truxton start closer to arcade difficulty by starting the game at Round 2. This requires a Game Genie (when using an actual console, have not tested this using any type of Genesis emulation).

1. Insert the Truxton cartridge into the Game Genie cartridge slot, then insert the entire assembly into the Genesis cartridge slot.
2. Make sure the Game Genie switch is On, then power on the console.
3. At the code entry screen, enter code SANA-BJZY.
4. When the title screen appears, start a new game as usual (or else wait until the demo mode starts).
5. The Round 1 ending will start after the game starts (or after the demo starts).
6. During the ending, switch only the Game Genie power switch to Off. (If the Game Genie power switch is not turned off then the next ending will play as soon as the next loop starts, until Game Over eventually occurs at Round 6.)
7. After the ending is finished, the game will start on Round 2, Stage 1.

Just from the start of the game, the smaller enemies will fire sooner, and the first midboss attack is the arcade attack pattern--laser downward/diamond shot upward, then the 3-way pellet shots aimed towards the player's ship. Everything else will also be obviously faster shooting.

That said, the game will still not be quite the same as arcade difficulty due to the third level red shot being changed to a rainbow circle shot and some other simplifications (e.g., shooting down the top UFO spaceship in that midboss attack does not cause the bottom UFO spaceship to start shooting immediately), but it will be much closer than the first round/first loop.
ave

Post by ave »

I just got 820k points. I don't bother to post a real score until 1 million though, but I guess 820k isn't too bad considering I haven't played this game in a long while, and back then it was the MD version.

I reched Area 133 which is the first really tough stage (lots of small enemies on the ground, shooting an insane amount of very fast bullets). How much am I away from the clear? I got to the meteroid stage on the Mega Drive, so maybe I can make it here as well.
THE ETERNAL
DEL

Post by DEL »

ave wrote;
How much am I away from the clear?
I think you're just over half way.
(lots of small enemies on the ground, shooting an insane amount of very fast bullets)
Fast bullets?
You DON'T wanna see the bullets on the 3rd loop onwards :!:
ave

Post by ave »

DEL wrote:ave wrote;
How much am I away from the clear?
I think you're just over half way.
Just got to Area 170+, the spot with the harder version of the 3 small midbosses in stage 1. Score was something with 1,1mio, I think the clear is in reach now :D
Is there any special tactic for those bastards of midbosses I was talking about? Something apart from massive bombing, maybe a safe spot?
(lots of small enemies on the ground, shooting an insane amount of very fast bullets)
Fast bullets?
You DON'T wanna see the bullets on the 3rd loop onwards :!:[/quote]

I guess so, there's a superplay video up on youtube showing the 6th loop and the bullet speed was insane. However, the blue accelerated bullets in the final stage aren't that easy either. :/
THE ETERNAL
Mills

Post by Mills »

Really, i haven't seen any impressive multiple looped replays on youtube.com
ave

Post by ave »

Yeah! My first 1CC in this game :D

AVE - 1,641,040 - Area 221 (Stage 2-1) - PCB (Autofire)

One hell of an awesome game, and once that I checked to spare the last power-up to keep my 4 P's for the next life in case I die, my motivation increased a lot. What a nice game, the soundtrack of the final stage really kicks ass and the fast shots in the second loop can take it up with any hard CAVE shooter of today difficulty-wise. One insane masterpiece!!
THE ETERNAL
saucykobold

Post by saucykobold »

ave wrote:I guess so, there's a superplay video up on youtube showing the 6th loop and the bullet speed was insane.
I wasn't able to find that replay. How about a link?
ave

Post by ave »

Sorry, I forgot the link when I posted my score. It's a bit hard to find, I stumbled over it by accidently:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dnAYQqFTFw
1st part of 9. It's a rip of a Toaplan Superplay Laserdisc from 1989! Oh yes!
It contains high loop (usually 5th or 6th, the rank is always on maximum) replays of Kyuukyoku Tiger, Hishouzame and Tatsujin (in that order).

I've ripped all the parts from youtube and made one nice *.mkv file out of it. Here's the link if anyone fancies:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CVTWT11O

All credit goes to electronman32k for sharing his superplay gem with the rest of the world.

The Tatsujin replay is the first high loop superplay I've seen of this game and it kicks ass, despite the very bad quality of the video.
THE ETERNAL
yojo!

Post by yojo! »

congrats AVE !. You just kicked me out of the top 3! v :) .
Leandro

Post by Leandro »

Congratulations ave, Truxton is really a masterpiece. I must really comeback to it, my best run was area 173 with 1139990 points back in 2008. I had not the perseverance to stick to it and finish the 1st loop but one day I will.
Mills

Post by Mills »

Might have to ask forum members ARK/ARM to borrow their Truxton board after seeing that superplay. though i doubt ill ever get near my past 21 million score (which would have been higher if the joystick didn't keep f**king up) it would just be nice to experience playing it again.
gamingjustin

Post by gamingjustin »

gamingjustin - 1,079,990 - Area 172 - PCB

Glad to have finally broke a million. One of my absolute favorite shooting games! For the longest time I played with about 3 speed ups, but DEL's right on the money-- playing at max speed is most fun 8) I did fine up 'til after the high-speed section with all the bombs and speed ups (I'm pretty sure...) when I carelessly rammed into a popcorn enemy. Powered my way to the last stage thanks to all the lives I built up. Not quite sure how I got that 2up but it sure helped a hell of a lot.
DEL

Post by DEL »

Nicely done gamingjustin :)

You got that 2up because you were still on your first life at the point where the 2up is awarded. If you lost your 1st life before then, you will not get the 2up.
There is only one 2up in the game (on the 1st loop only). This also applies to the collectable 1ups. There are none beyond the 1st loop. You can only get extras by score after the 1st loop. This makes sustainability a little bit tough if you're going for multi-loops.
If you're going for a counter-stop 10,000,000 or more, you need to keep life loss down to just 5 lives per loop, which isn't easy from the 3rd loop onwards.

Anyway, enough trivia. The fact that you have got the 2up means that you can loop this game 8) . Keep going.
Gemant

Post by Gemant »

"counter stop" in Tatsujin is 100.000.000 and not 10.000.000.

10.000.000 is Gamest / Arcadia achivement score, used in Japan to indicate a official japanese score for multi-loops games.
DEL

Post by DEL »

Ok cool, but 100,000,000 on Tatsujin/Truxton would take a 50hr credit. That's over two days and nights without stage breaks. This game has no breaks in the action at all, not even at the loop, so a 50hr credit would most likely kill the player.

I'm basing this on my 10,000,000 credit with was switched off on me with max displayable lives still remaining at 5hrs and 7 loops.

Mills found a place where the game was switched on overnight - a snooker hall, but died after roughly 12hrs and 23,000,000.

I used the 10,000,000 mark as the counter stop for this game as you listed it this way in your Gamest/Arcadia Achievement Score (WR) listings.

------------------------
Just for the record, Mills did achieve a 100,000,000 on a multilooping game - Fire Shark. He said something like; "the game stops awarding bombs after the 10th loop."
gamingjustin

Post by gamingjustin »

Thanks for the encouragement, DEL. What kills me more than anything are the red ships that catch me off guard when they fly in from behind or from the edges when I'm snatching a powerup... :oops:

A couple times today I died right before the third boss. Since my weapon was weak I opted to just time out the boss, dodging everything. It almost worked except I died when trying to zip past it to the top of the screen. I figured I'd have to fight it again but instead it put me ahead to the next stage, still playing the boss music the whole time. Kinda weird, and distracting.
Gemant

Post by Gemant »

DEL wrote:Ok cool, but 100,000,000 on Tatsujin/Truxton would take a 50hr credit. That's over two days and nights without stage breaks. This game has no breaks in the action at all, not even at the loop, so a 50hr credit would most likely kill the player.

I'm basing this on my 10,000,000 credit with was switched off on me with max displayable lives still remaining at 5hrs and 7 loops.

Mills found a place where the game was switched on overnight - a snooker hall, but died after roughly 12hrs and 23,000,000.

I used the 10,000,000 mark as the counter stop for this game as you listed it this way in your Gamest/Arcadia Achievement Score (WR) listings.

Just for the record, Mills did achieve a 100,000,000 on a multilooping game - Fire Shark. He said something like; "the game stops awarding bombs after the 10th loop."
100.000.000 is a real counter stop in this game (1億点カンスト). Is achivable in 33 Hr (performed 1 time in 2006: 3 japanese players in turn on supergun system). Best maratone score of a single player is achivied this year with 51.833.690 (17 hours).

On Gamest / Arcadia there is 10.000.000 pts rule for all multi-loops games because all scores (official in Japan) are from game center, and in game center is not possible play afterhours. So is possible play max 10/12 hours usually. 10.000.000 in Japan is call "達成" = achievement.

In not official way, there are many "real" counter stop with photos or VHS recording for some loops (usually are in Toaplan games), I know:

- Vimana 100.000.000 26 hours
- Ishou Same 100.000.000 (42 hours)
- Kyuukyoku Tiger 100.000.000 (?? hours)
- Same! Same! Same! (?? hours)

- Fantasy Zone (not official game in gamest database but accepted in Arcadia with no miss rule) 99.999.990 in 4 Hr +.

- Batsugun Special (not official game in Gamest database) have 99.999.990.

I not have infos for other games.
ave

Post by ave »

I have seen a Batsugun Special Version replay in which the score reset itself to zero after hitting 99,999,990. The player achieved the "counter stop" at the end Jupiter in the 4th loop, but then it started all over again. The final score was about 114m... is there a "fixed" or altered version? I'm asking because I've also seen a replay in which the score really stops counting at 99,999,990 (available on super-play.co.uk, the non-stopping one is from niconico douga).
THE ETERNAL
Gemant

Post by Gemant »

is a altered version (bootleg?) because the official version of this Game programmed from Toaplan stopped after 99.999.990 pts.
DEL

Post by DEL »

ave wrote;
I have seen a Batsugun Special Version replay in which the score reset itself to zero after hitting 99,999,990. The player achieved the "counter stop" at the end Jupiter in the 4th loop, but then it started all over again. The final score was about 114m... is there a "fixed" or altered version? I'm asking because I've also seen a replay in which the score really stops counting at 99,999,990 (available on super-play.co.uk, the non-stopping one is from niconico douga).
Well I counter stopped a Batsugun Special board in 2006 and the score stayed at 99,999,990 once I reached it. My counter stop was disallowed due to dipswitch#3 being switched ON (left 'on' by the board's owner ARC). I was playing on full default 'normal' difficulty and 3 life start, but one dip was in the ON position, which gave me extra lives based on score on the 1st loop only, thereby giving me more than the 6 (or 7?) lives that full default gives.

A game that does indeed 'roll-over' the score (starting at 0 again) once the counter stop is achieved is XXMission.

& thanks for the info Gemant 8)
Mills

Post by Mills »

DEL wrote:Ok cool, but 100,000,000 on Tatsujin/Truxton would take a 50hr credit. That's over two days and nights without stage breaks. This game has no breaks in the action at all, not even at the loop, so a 50hr credit would most likely kill the player.

------------------------
Yeah that right, i knew i wouldnt get much further in the game.
gamingjustin

Post by gamingjustin »

Man, what a rush. I finally cleared it!
gamingjustin - 1,691,770 - Area 219 - PCB

As you can see I had an embarrassing first credit. I died twice on the very first mid-boss then collided into one of those red guys to start fresh. But then the stars aligned correctly and once I got that 2up at the start of stage 3 I sensed this would be it. I'd like to get further into loop 2 though. Seems fun, but I wasn't able to recover after losing all my power-ups on the last boss. I think everyone who comes out unscathed after a 1cc agrees this game is a real masterpiece. I wouldn't be surprised if I'm still playing this game (in some form or another) decades later.
Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

Why isn´t my score on the list?
ChainsawGuitarSP

Post by ChainsawGuitarSP »

ChainsawGuitar - 1-3 - 497600 - Genesis

Feels remarkably easier than most Toaplan games on the MD. I may actually be able to clear this! :mrgreen:
Innovations in Recreational Electronic Media
yojo!

Post by yojo! »

try the PCE version :mrgreen:
ChainsawGuitarSP

Post by ChainsawGuitarSP »

ಥ_ಥ
Innovations in Recreational Electronic Media