Guardian Force

Kaiser

Guardian Force

Post by Kaiser »

An awesome multi-directional tank shoot-em'up on ST-V hardware, it includes shitload of bosses, loads of weapons and scoring stuff like medals :D Be warned, you need to have good computer to run it on MAME or Saturn and have copy of this game

Tips:
- Collect your medals until you reach their maximum value (12,800)
- Wait until power-up blacks out so you can pick it up for bonus (5,000)
- Defeat bosses in fastest time possible
- Be careful, they can rape your ass from everywhere

Format: Name - Score - Stage
  1. blackoak - 12,454,160 - ALL
  2. Kino - 11,925,220 - ALL
  3. Emuser - 9,185,840 - ALL
  4. ancestral-knowledge - 7,879,510 - ALL
  5. Kino - 7,548,830 - Stage G
  6. Macaw - 6,412,020 - Stage E
  7. EmperorIng - 4,501,900 - Stage D
  8. Jeneki - 4,385,880 - Stage C
  9. Kaiser - 2,972,250 - Stage C
  10. Dave_K. - 2,432,310 - Stage C
  11. SFKhoa - 2,399,660 - Stage C
  12. --- - -.---.--- - -
  13. --- - -.---.--- - -
  14. --- - -.---.--- - -
Last edited by Kaiser on Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:33 am, edited 15 times in total.
Zenodyne R - My 2nd Steam Shmup
Mister44

Post by Mister44 »

I just started to play this game. I like it - though via keyboard the rotating gun is hard to control well.

Question - how the heck do you fire the bombs? It looks like you have three of them - but none of the buttons fire them? Help??
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Press A+C at the same time (the buttons that rotate the turret). Bomb effects depends on the weapon you're using.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Last edited by Ruldra on Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Last edited by Ruldra on Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

Ruldra wrote: I wish people gave this awesome game more attention :(
Well, i love this game but pressing A+C feels like pain for me, Stage B boss kills me quickly (the one with axe, later shooting spreads)
SFKhoa

Post by SFKhoa »

SFKhoa - 2,399,660 - Stage C

<Kaisero> Weak
Macaw

Post by Macaw »

Bump in order to make people see this thread so MORE PEOPLE PLAY THIS AWESOME GAME.

Score from me soon.
kemical

Post by kemical »

this is by far the coolest shooter I have ever played in a long long time, I couldnt stop thinking about it today at work, I can't believe I never played it before. There must be some weird alignments going on, cause I didn't even get tipped off about it from this thread but I just happened to give it a try in Mame Sunday night.

I'm a Raiden fan and something about this game matches the enjoyment of Raiden for me.

Right now I'm trying to figure out what version is better, Saturn or STV, so that I can figure out what to hunt for and try to buy. I guess Saturn gives me the added bonus of getting that Hyper Duel port and prob some other games worth playing.
Macaw

Post by Macaw »

Macaw - 6,412,020 - Stage E
Dave_K.

Re: Guardian Force

Post by Dave_K. »

Dave_K. - 2,432,310 - Stage C

Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

Topic updated.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Kaiser please remove my score from the thread. I found out months later I was playing at 80% speed. When I tried playing at 100% speed my score was nowhere near the one posted above.

EDIT: Thanks.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

This is a really fun game, as I am finding out. The least I can do (and I mean the least I can do) is bump it back into the limelight with a mediocre score!

EmperorIng - 3,306,810 - Stage C

I've made it to the beginning of stage E credit-feeding (the port's generous 9 credits seems a bit much!). I'll keep improving as I am sure I can do better with a bit more memorization.

Looking through the ST topic, the purple weapon really rips the first two bosses new buttholes. After that though, I feel like there are too many enemies coming from all sides of the screen to keep it in consistent use. Still, the dynamic of having to scramble around all across the screen makes this shmup a refreshing change of pace.

I like the little dynamic of destroying a bosses main weapon giving a nice 50K bonus. It's always fun to tear apart a boss piece by piece.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Since there's so much love in the Saturn thread right now, another bump might not be unwarranted, especially for such an empty board! :wink:
Maybe some folk will show me what they got.

Slight improvement (OUT OF DATE; SEE BELOW)

EmperorIng - 3,752,290 - Stage C

Getting to the boss of stage B is a more consistent endeavor now. Surviving its bullet spam is tough - I find the final part, where it uses its large rocket-launcher spread, necessitates spinning around the boss (and a healthy bit of bombing!). Stage C really ramps up the difficulty, because enemies start coming from multiple directions at a regular pace; earlier stages usually have enemies come in wider gaps and in waves.

Sometimes you feel like you are sliding around a slippery map; I think that it is more optical illusion than it is actual game design.

EDIT:

Another slight improvement! A great run in which I managed to survive the latter half of B with the YoYo weapon. Certainly didn't expect that. I mostly used the yellow laser in C until my untimely demise... Stupid mistakes cost me the chance of testing my skills on the boss, who if I recall is a bit easier to survive against than B's megatank.

EDIT AGAIN!:

Even better! Made it to stage D, all the way to the boss!

EmperorIng - 4,501,900 - Stage D

I think it was a little bit of a fluke run :P , and the the boss of B still gave me a run for my money (resulting in a death and lots of bomb spam). A stupid death early in the run might have cost me, but all the same, it's great to get so far! Stage D is pretty manageable outside of a few rough spots - for my money C's constant barrage from all sides is a tougher bird to tackle (though its boss is pretty easy to deal with). I was lucky enough to get the game's second extend (4,000,000) by killing the C boss, which gave me a new lease on life to give it my all.

The boss of D killed me right away. Even if it hadn't, it's a real tough bastard(s).
Kino

Post by Kino »

Kino - 3,748,840 - Stage D

EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Nice job! Did you make it to the boss?
Kino

Post by Kino »

Thanks! I actually got smoked near the beginning of the level, if I recall. Shame I couldn't get that second extend fast enough.

You mentioned something about Stage C giving you problems? Try using the Red weapon. Completely trivializes the level. I'm quickly learning that the secret to clearing this game is having the right weapon equipped for every situation. In my experience, Blue is quite effective in the later stages if you have it completely leveled up. Yellow seems to work best on the final stage. I still find the Yo-Yo extremely unwieldy, but I'm sure it comes in handy if you can master it somehow. Definitely has potential, seeing as how it's the only weapon other than Purple that nullifies bullets, and its bomb attack seems better than most.

I'll be posting a new score soon enough. Now that I've figured out the Stage C boss' final attack, I might make some real progress. :mrgreen:
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I agree about the right weapon for the job. I usually stick with the yellow laser in stage B, and switch over to red for stage C, because of all the shit being flung at you. I don't have a consistent strategy for stage D, let alone the clusterfuck of a stage E. I have a better score that I need to post soon.

I too have a suspicion that the Green Yoyo is better than most people have given it credit for, especially with its bullet-cancelling.

The purple weapon is essential on the first two stages to rack up the points and get an early extend (you can get the first during the stage 2 boss at the earliest I find). After that I find it a bit too slow for what the game is throwing at you.
Kino

Post by Kino »

Kino - 7,548,830 - Stage G

EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Man, you are killing this game. Congrats! I'm dusting off my skills again, and I'm gunna make a new board this weekend.

What weapons are you trying out to make it so far? That ninja-base boss (the giant orb) is a real pain.
Kino

Post by Kino »

Lately, I've been using the blue rockets from the Stage C boss up until the beginning of Stage G, at which point I switch over to the yellow lancer. Though on my last run, I found out that the green yo-yo is quite effective on the middle section of Stage F. I just knew that weapon came in handy somewhere!

Stage E boss isn't too bad, granted you don't let his first pattern blindside you. His other attacks are easily telegraphed. Just be sure to give yourself adequate breathing room on his last pattern, so as not to get boxed in.
Kino

Post by Kino »

Kino - 7,725,270 - ALL

I intentionally let the final boss time out so I didn't have to face the TLB. I'll shoot for the good ending on my next run. I'll also try and not drop so many medal chains, either. :oops:
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Been playing this game quite a bit over the last week. :)
Jeneki - 3,892,030 - Stage C
(ST-V, difficulty 2, 3 lives)

Hmm, I think the trick to the Stage C boss is to not shoot down the bullet from the revolver? That spiral explosion is wicked fast. I'm hopeful I'll get him down soon enough.

Also this is on the middle difficulty setting (2). My cart originally defaulted to minimum (0) which I'm assuming is wrong so I manually set it to 2. But let me know if I'm incorrect on that.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Emuser

Post by Emuser »

I'll just leave this here...

Emuser - 9,185,840 - ALL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LayXdcl-lz0

EDIT: KAISER UPDATU PLZ :(
Last edited by Emuser on Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

I just watched that replay earlier today, haha.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Jeneki - 4,385,880 - Stage C - STV

So close to beating that thing. But definitely getting better at scoring, since I improved by about a half million at the same spot.
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

Updated, Emuser you should have yelled at me on IRC! How the hell I am meant to remember a thread I made 6 years ago :D
Emuser

Post by Emuser »

Lol, you forgot some scores :
blackoak

Post by blackoak »

blackoak - 5,070,080 - Stage D

saturn version. some really stupid deaths early on, or i think I could have hit 6m. just watched emuser's replay, i didnt realize bosses could go down so fast with point blanking and bombs. they've been slogs for me so i'll have to try that. i like the yoyo on stage B, red for stage C, and haven't decided for D yet (probably still red).

game is definitely a memorizer, but the multidirectional feel makes it feel fresh. going to see if i can clear it next month...
shmuplations.com - translated game developer interviews and more
support shmuplations on patreon!