Guardian Force

Kino

Re: Guardian Force

Post by Kino »

ancestral-knowledge wrote: I watched Emusers replay on youtube which seems to be the only good resource available there. Does anyone know anything about this game? I thought this game would not be as hard as it is.
Here's the highest scoring replay currently available. It'll teach you everything you need to know about how to play Guardian Force.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
ancestral-knowledge

Post by ancestral-knowledge »

Wow! Thanks man! That is awesome. I am going to watch it today.

I managed to get to stage E on one run and scored about 4 mio? (I had 2 extends). I am developing a strategy for stage B and C, so I don't loose lives in the stages.

Scoring seems to be really important since every 2 mio you get an extend. If you look at replays that score about 8 mio, that's 4 extra lives for you. This is the first game where I at least try to score a little bit due to the extends.

EDIT:

Alright, I watched the replay and I must say that the replay is not good for beginners. The only thing I got out of it was that I have to use the purple weapon for Stage P (practice) and A. As I am already doing this I got very little out of the replay.

Another thing I noticed is that with 6 lives in stock the player didn't get an additional extend when he hit the 10mio mark. I suppose there is a 6 lives maximum.

It's basically a superplay, which is kind of worthless for a starting player. Emuser's replay on youtube is far better since it contains quick kill strategies for bosses and routes through the stages that focus more on survival than on scoring.

I hit 5 mio in stage E recently. I have to grind this game more. Stage B and a midboss before the stage C boss gives me trouble. I have to develop a strategy for these.
ancestral-knowledge

Post by ancestral-knowledge »

Yes!

I was able to 1CC Guardian Force last night. I got 7,8 million points in the end. I always fail to get the 8 million mark to get an extra extend. I played this game for about 30 days and about 1-2 hours every day.

You guys with scores like 12m are crazy :D

1CC!
score

ancestral-knowledge - 7,879,510 - ALL
Kino

Post by Kino »

Kino - 11,925,220 - ALL

Video

blackoak, please tell me what I'm doing wrong :{
Limbrooke

Re: The Success King

Post by Limbrooke »

Kino wrote:Kino - 11,925,220 - ALL

Video

blackoak, please tell me what I'm doing wrong :{
Glitching out the cheats in part 2/3. :mrgreen:
Joking aside, excellent replay. 12 million is just around the corner.
'Only a fool trusts his life to a weapon.'
Kino

Post by Kino »

Haha, thanks! :mrgreen:

That was actually my splitter coming loose from the TV. Really should invest in some extension cables. Maybe a splitter that doesn't completely suck, while I'm at it. >_>
blackoak

Post by blackoak »

nice work, i watched the whole replay. I haven't played Guardian Force in over a year, but I can't say it didn't get me itching to load it up again, hehe...

I don't remember my exact strategies, but some observations:

* There's a number of midbosses that I quickkill with bombs for the time bonus. Most noticeable for score are the three black planes on stage E. I almost always bomb the last two.

* On stage D, the desert stage, I'm much more aggressive and build the medal chain more quickly. But that's related to...

* ...the fact that I only use Missile, not Homing. I'm not certain, but I think missile might have higher potential because it can be aimed away while you do chip damage. That might not be true, so I can't say for certain, but it also helps me kill zako faster for building the medal chain.

i'll try to analyze it more closely and take notes, but that's what i remember for now. overall really good run! my record is in danger, haha...
shmuplations.com - translated game developer interviews and more
support shmuplations on patreon!
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

Updated, thanks to blackoak PM'ing me to update it, i'm a busy shmup developer nowadays >_>
Zenodyne R - My 2nd Steam Shmup
Kino

Post by Kino »

Kino - 12,163,680 - ALL

Video

Made some modest gains on this run, partly due to heeding oak's advice, and partly due to my newfound milking strategy you'll see around the 6:00 mark (are there any similar milking opportunities later in the game? We may find the secret to that WR yet!)

Didn't have any bombs for the row of tanks on Stage B or the three planes of Stage E, which shafted me of at least 200K. The aforementioned could easily have been avoided, the latter... due to there being no bomb power-ups during stages C & D, I'll probably have to start suiciding at the stage D boss. (only other option would be not bombing the Stage B boss, which isn't too feasible; that pink bullet spread combined with the orange turret fire makes for one of the scarier patterns in the game.)

Good run for the most part, but I'm definitely not packing it in just yet.
Kino

Post by Kino »

Kino - 12,359,600 - ALL

Would've reclaimed the top spot with this run, but I dropped my chain near the beginning of Stage D, and was having abysmal luck with the 50K black pucks/chips/orbs/whatevers during the first half of the game (infuriatingly enough, most of it was me being jumpy and grabbing them too soon...)

Also
Kino wrote:milking
Upon further inspection, that one part is not milkable. Not in the sense that I meant, in any case. I suppose that last 2M will forever remain a mystery?
Kino

Post by Kino »

Kino - 12,627,840 - ALL

Accidentally picked up the blue weapon before the Stage G midboss, likely costing me a good 100K or so...

Virtually spotless run otherwise, though. I'd estimate I got around 75% of the 50K bonus items. Any further increases will be pure shitass luck. :mrgreen:
blackoak

Post by blackoak »

congratulations! I humbly yield the top spot to you. ;) Not sure if I'll ever get back to it, but yeah, i think 13m is possible with more lucky black orb gets, but i'm at a loss on how to get to 14m and above. The part I've explored the least is the last stage and the final boss--I wonder if there's some milking etc potential there?
shmuplations.com - translated game developer interviews and more
support shmuplations on patreon!
Kino

Post by Kino »

Thanks! You didn't exactly make it easy for me, so I appreciate that. :D

I have yet to unearth any milking opportunities in the game worth mentioning. There's some minor milking to be done against the Stage F boss' final form, as well the final boss & TLB, but the rewards are negligible. I suppose the beginning of Stage B counts as a milking spot? Never bothered figuring out whether you get more from tank milking, or taking out the mid-bosses.... I just assumed it's more or less equal, and took out the mid-bosses in 99% of my runs.

I'm wondering if autofire increases the points you get from chip damage? That's the only theory I have left at this point.... either that or it's the 2P tank lol

Kino - 12,754,530 - ALL

Was shooting for 13M, but with my current strategies, that would still involve at least a 90% success rate with the 50K bonuses. As I've got some unfinished business with a couple other Saturn shooters, this'll have to do for the time being. I'll return when I've had enough of non-luck-based scoring challenges. :mrgreen:

EDIT: New thread here. Thanks again, Kaiser!