Imperishable Night (Touhou 08; ZUN, 2004)

lgb

Re:

Post by lgb »

Momijitsuki wrote:if I was playing for score, I wouldn't be using the Border Team
The teams are mostly balanced, they just all play differently. Though the Scarlet team is the best scoring (from what I've seen), they're somewhat harder to use than the Border Team.
Momijitsuki

Re: Re:

Post by Momijitsuki »

lgb wrote:
Momijitsuki wrote:if I was playing for score, I wouldn't be using the Border Team
The teams are mostly balanced, they just all play differently. Though the Scarlet team is the best scoring (from what I've seen), they're somewhat harder to use than the Border Team.
It seems that a lot of your score is based on Time Points, though-- something that Marisa and Youmu solo tend to pull off quite wonderfully, since they get a ton of them. I guess I've never really used the Border Team correctly, then :P
moozooh

Re: Imperishable Night (Touhou 08; ZUN, 2004) *New Thread*

Post by moozooh »

The Netherworld Team is far better balanced for scoring and survival alike. Scarlet Team only gets its advantage on Lunatic, where you get a lot more time orbs by grazing a good amount of boss attacks (which none of us realistically do). On all other difficulties they're either as good or somewhat worse for scoring than the Nethers and Youmu solo. Which are pretty much the only characters that are guaranteed to do well everywhere if put in competent hands, due to their immense versatility.

Border Team is actually harder to use for scoring due to their projectiles' low speed, low damage, and homing nature, but they do have an edge in survival, which in the end brings you far better results than getting max time orbs from everything while failing every second spellcard and beating the game with zero lives left.
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
DeuS_CaNoN

Post by DeuS_CaNoN »

I'm am horrified at this thing, but hey its my first 1CC of imperishable night. I only practiced stage 1-4 and had never even seen stage 5 and 6 so i was very lost on those 2 stages. And I had no idea how to do Kaguya's 5 requests. Sigh o well i still made it on the score board

http://replays.gensokyo.org/download.php?id=6400

Easy
DeuS - 1,556,432,930 - Cb - Ym & Yy - 0.000%

Funny thing is, i dont play IN, this run was a break from PCB lol
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Updated, welcome.
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
CptRansom

Post by CptRansom »

Decided to play this before bed.

Easy
Ransom - 1,663,355,560 - Cb - Reimu - 1.30%

Replay: http://replays.gensokyo.org/download.php?id=6667

I'd love some tips on getting better in general, not just specifically for this game.
<trap15> I only pick high quality games
<trap15> I'm just pulling shit out of my ass tbh
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

1. Learn the game, practice the hard parts until you get an understanding of what to do there.
2. Don't look directly at your character; use peripheral vision to estimate its position and your shot to pinpoint it on the horizontal axis.
3. Don't look directly at bullets when dodging, instead look at the openings.
4. Use the entire screen.
5. When in doubt, bomb.

That would be the basics.
Dodgeballpvp

Post by Dodgeballpvp »

few spots higher.

Normal
Dodgeball - 1,626,953,710 - Cb - Ms & Al - 0.00%
azinth

Post by azinth »

Lunatic
Azinth - 3,283,226,210 - Cb - Ym & Yy - 0.412% - Replay

Just got this, so I thought I'd contribute to this board as well. I don't really know why I haven't bothered to post in any of the Touhou threads here until now...
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Excellent score, Azinth, updating in a heartbeat!
Pulsewidth

Post by Pulsewidth »

Edit: Forgot to mention it's Lunatic difficulty

Pulsewidth - 1608794720 - Cb - Ym & Yy - 0.00%

http://replays.gensokyo.org/download.php?id=2139

Old run but thought I might as well post it here. Not particularly interested in improving it.
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Nice, updating.
Dodgeballpvp

Post by Dodgeballpvp »

New normal mode highscore

Normal
Dodgeball - 1,923,987,920 - Cb - Ms & Al - 0.040% - Replay

2 billion was so close... Too bad I failed the last spell in stage 1, also Robe of Fire Rat, Rainbow Danmaku and Kaguya's first last spell... orz
Last edited by Dodgeballpvp on Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

You're moving up alright. :)
KennyMan666

Post by KennyMan666 »

Oh yeah, I improved my IN score a while back.

Normal
KennyMan666 - 1,527,138,260 - Cb - Youmu & Yuyuko - 0,04%
My 1CCs so I can find the list easier myself
<Despatche> you've been a thorn in the shmups community since the beginning, you're largely responsible for the horrible face of modern speedrunning
KAI

Post by KAI »

Normal
1.731.946.570 - CB - RM & YK - 0,00%

I still have some problems trying to understand the scoring system.
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Welcome to the scoreboard.

While IN's scoring system is ridden with lots of stuff to learn and understand, it basically boils down to what gives you more time orbs (the purple circles), as those determine the worth of point items (the blue squares) taken above the point of auto-collection (the invisible line separating the top 1/5 of the screen).

When you're playing as a team, say Reimu and Yukari, shooting and killing enemies with Reimu gives you time orbs (purple thingies) as long as the human/youkai meter is under –80% on the blue side. Grazing bosses' attacks with Yukari also gives you time orbs as long as the human/youkai meter is over 80% on the red side. Thus it makes sense to use mostly Reimu during the stage, and use them both during boss fights, depending on the situation. Moving the meter from one extreme to another takes some time that could be spent gathering orbs, so stick to using Reimu unless you're absolutely certain Yukari will handle the situation better. When your meter is under –80% or over 80% your character becomes enclosed with a white circle and you start gaining points just for that.

Getting time orbs during bosses' spellcards increases their spellcard bonus (this is important for scoring), but the more time you milk the spellcard, the more time orbs it will release upon the item cash-in, so it's something to keep in mind. On Normal difficulty, it's hardly beneficial to milk any spell at all simply because there are not enough bullets to graze.

The last, but not the least important thing for getting time orbs is bullet-canceling. There are enemies that release white spirits that become transparent when switching to Yukari: those are familiars. They release a lot of time orbs if you kill their master before killing them, and will also cancel all bullets in their vicinity to time orbs. Thus try to avoid harming them and go straight for the master. It's hard with Reimu due to her homing weapon, so switch to Yukari shortly to do direct damage to the master and switch back just before the orb stream is sucked in by your character. This way you'll keep the meter on Reimu's side, allowing her to get time orbs for shooting enemies immediately.

If it helps, here are world record replays for Rm & Yk and Youmu solo, scoring 3.7 and 4.2 billion, respectively. Youmu solo is the only character who is both a human and a youkai, so her human/youkai meter's length is cut in half, allowing much faster switching, and thus greater scoring possibilites. She is also the fastest and most powerful character in the game. The player uses her versatility to fullest extent in the replay.
Last edited by moozooh on Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
atsumu

Post by atsumu »

Lunatic
atsumu - 3,789,030,430 - Cb - Sk & Rr - 0.219% - Replay

still not quite used to Scarlet team since I always use Border team. In fact, i just started using them yesterday.
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

What a great addition to the scoreboard!
KAI

Post by KAI »

Thanks moozooh, i knew most of those things already. What i would like to know is if i can get a shitload of points by dodging Kaguya's last spells? I suck really hard on that part, i made that 1700mil failling on 4 of those spells.
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Yeah, those give a lot of points, so capture them at all costs. Each of her last spells is worth 33 million at the start (most can be milked to about 38–40 million without doing something outrageous) + 20 million end-of-game bonus + points for time orbs + points for items. Realistically you'll be looking at 70+ million a spell on average, that's about 280 million lost right there. So yeah, looks like a shitload of points. :)

Looking forward to your next submission being over 2 billion!
KAI

Post by KAI »

Almost.

NORMAL
KAI - 1.897.518.520 - CB - RM & YK - 0,00%

I've miss all of them this time, i think i need a bigger pc screen.
Not stoping till Top Five, then maniac.
Dodgeballpvp

Post by Dodgeballpvp »

I guess I should update my scores a bit. 2 months old replays.. There was a IN scoring tournament few months ago and I was going to use these there, but for some reason I didn't send them. Too lazy I guess :P

Stage 6b has always been a real nightmare for me. I fail so hard there. Sometimes I capture only Eirin's spell card and fail everything else. I think I could have done a lot better, but MAlice Cannon was not allowed :cry:

I should play more IN, but I'm kinda busy with StB and Ex-6 scene. Must break 2,2 mil!

Easy
Dodgeball - 2,014,859,450 - Cb - Youmu - 0,000% Replay

Normal
Dodgeball - 1,986,662,830 - Cb - Ms & Al - 0.034% - Replay
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Updated, well done. Unfortunately the Normal score doesn't move you up.
hail good sir

Post by hail good sir »

I'm
Last edited by hail good sir on Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

That wasn't very good of you, sir. :<
I should get back to improving my scores here, I know a lot more about this game now and play much better than I did back then.
KAI

Post by KAI »

Moozooh is angry xP

new score, NORMAL:
KAI - 2.063.112.010 - CB - RM & YK - 0,00%

I'm not even proud with this shitty score, new post will go directly to the top 5, i going to upload the replay as soon as i have some free time.
Last edited by KAI on Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Nice, keep it up.
atsumu

Post by atsumu »

Normal
atsumu - 2,314,901,010 - Cb - Marisa - 0.116% - Replay

Didn't think this through. 7 misses, 13 bombs lol

and...

Failed 4 billion attempt. lower than my previous score by 68 million. contains a shitload of mistakes due to nervousness and also poor execution of scoring methods. I seriously need to play this game more often.
hail good sir

Post by hail good sir »

buggin
Last edited by hail good sir on Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.