DoDonPachi (New Thread #3)

moozooh

Post by moozooh »

I think C-S's shots cause more lag than A-L's. Definitely something to look into, anyway.
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
shoe-sama
Banned User

Post by shoe-sama »

wow, I guess that explains why WR class players use their shot

I thought they were just being weird and/or using it to change how much their ship moved when they tapped

anyways C-S is hilarious
I think you can chain 50% of stages 5 and 6 by being dead center of the screen and mashing the button
Also ridiculously easy to dodge that way it seems, since enemies die quickly and you have lots of space in both directions. It's easy to move back into position because enemies are dying so quickly.
If you can connect the front and end sections of the stage to that chain you've got yourself a full stage chain with no effort lol
<Sidwell> TSS is manlier than a jet figher made of biceps.
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

ye this shot technique actually also works at hibachi during the circular pink waves that he does near the start of the fight (big bee mode). It slows down and you can squeeze through the waves more easily.
shoe-sama
Banned User

Post by shoe-sama »

I just discovered something while practicing stage 6 boss

DDP bosses time out O_O

so if you don't want to deal with its last pattern I suppose you could time it out
<Sidwell> TSS is manlier than a jet figher made of biceps.
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

lol ^^
stanski

Post by stanski »

Yea, bosses do time out, so a no shot run of the first loop should technically be possible.

Also, A-S causes a shitton of lag more than any other ship afaik, though b-s might cause just as much. Not exactly sure why, but it does (but who uses a-S anyways?).

I know it is so easy to chain levels 5 and 6 with c-s, but I just can't adjust to chaining the other stages/playing with c-s in general. I might try and switch back again, its just that relearning chaining is annoying.
Arvandor

Post by Arvandor »

My big problem with C-S after so much A-L play is the super slow ship speed. That and chaining is impossible when you're used to how fast the A-L laser activates.

There's no way you could no shot the first loop. You could no shot the bosses, but there are parts of stages that would be literally impossible. Largely because of the popcorn kamikazis, the teleporters in stage 3, all of stage 5, etc.
stanski

Post by stanski »

Arvandor wrote:My big problem with C-S after so much A-L play is the super slow ship speed. That and chaining is impossible when you're used to how fast the A-L laser activates.

There's no way you could no shot the first loop. You could no shot the bosses, but there are parts of stages that would be literally impossible. Largely because of the popcorn kamikazis, the teleporters in stage 3, all of stage 5, etc.
I thought a giga wing 2 no score run was impossible too... Japanese make believers out of anyone!

I find C-L to be a reasonable switch, though I don't know how much i lose by using him.
charlie chong

Post by charlie chong »

shoe-sama wrote: I also found a ridiculously easy way to survive the midsection of stage 5 with C-S (stay in middle and shoot and stuff, middle as in center of screen, not middle bottom)

It's the section with those ground things that barf pink bullets at you

I got something like 400 hit or something there, I think I can get 450-500 there just by mindlessly shooting
this is my technique.. rising up to try and point blank the bases that spew the masses of pink bullets makes it easier as well.. usually you can destroy them just with your shot before they even spew out :wink:
i managed to link up the first half of the stage for the first time the other day but i failed on the bit you speak of thats easy to chain with c-s.. i think i got 42 mill so not even a best :cry:
Arvandor

Post by Arvandor »

BEST! RUN! EVAR! For me anyways ;D

RWM - 80,096,230 - A-L - 2-2 - 490

I no-bombed all the way up to the final boss with only two deaths (one on stage 4, and one early on in stage 5), then bombed the shit out of the last boss and died twice anyways (I was nervous, sue me). I then proceeded to suck it up in the second loop, but somehow almost made it to the second boss. Stupid side tanks from the right at the very VERY end got me :evil:

Edit: Oh crap, that score puts me at #11. Now I REALLY have to start recording inps, especially since the above score involved a chain break on stage 4 (I still can't chain stage 5... Linking the 6 turrets + power up ship to the popcorn before the bases is just rough). I loathe waiting for the freaking warning screen to go by though. I forsee myself losing hours of total playtime due to that screen alone if I start doing inp runs. :?
charlie chong

Post by charlie chong »

noice! i had my best run as well. finally made it to the 2nd loop :D

charlie chong - 52,943,150 - C-S - 2-1 - max hit 407

PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

charlie chong wrote:noice!
lol scottish internet accent ^^
jpj

Post by jpj »

nice one charlie

not such a good day for BUM, ROT, and COK though :lol:
RegalSin wrote:Videogames took my life away like the Natives during colonial times.
charlie chong

Post by charlie chong »

yeah them guys suck :wink:
Arvandor

Post by Arvandor »

Heh, this was my first run of the day, basically a warm-up, but it ended up kicking all kinds of ass. So... Sorry I don't have a replay, all I have is a screenshot. I'll try to get a replay with a better score later =) If I could get a run as good as this one with that 677 chain I sometimes get on stage 4, I might just be able to break 100M without even one-lifing the last boss for 2-1 bomb bonus =D 2-2 still kicks my ass, and this was my first time to 2-3 outside of savestate goofing off, so ... yeah. If you don't want to accept the score, that's fine, like I said I'll beat it later with better proof. Maybe even tonight, if I'm lucky... But I'm not too hopeful on that front =/

RWM - 91,655,940 - A-L - 2-3 - 490

bostongeorge

Post by bostongeorge »

Ok, I've only been playing seriously for a week or two. My score sucks but I want to get it posted, for motivation like.

A-L 8,592,410 Stage 4

...Yeah.

I basically am just playing for survival but am starting to be able to chain decently in Stage 1 at least. I need to see some replays or something, especially for the Stage 3 boss. I can generally No Miss up to that point. Any tips? Or is this the wrong place to ask?
Arvandor

Post by Arvandor »

It's probably better asked in the strategy section, but personally I'm in favor of strat discussion in the score threads.

For the third boss, you want to take out his weaponry systematically to make things easier. Start out by taking out the two central turrets that fire twin arrowhead bullets, and damaging the shotgun doors in the process (no need to take them out yet), then move to one of the flanks and destroy the door covering the spiral spraying turret, followed by the turret. Then do more damage to (and hopefully destroying) the central doors, followed by the other flank cover and spiral turret. After that it's just a matter of shooting off-center from the boss itself to take out the 4 turrets behind it.

That's the best advice I can give on that front. The rest is just avoiding bullets. The third boss always used to give me problems as well. I just had a hard time keeping track of the 3-4 different bullet types for some reason. It seems so easy now that I wonder how I ever had problems in the past... but I sure as hell did =)
freddiebamboo

Post by freddiebamboo »

Arvandor wrote:After that it's just a matter of shooting off-center from the boss itself to take out the 4 turrets behind it.
I'd advise against killing all 4 turrets, IIRC the boss difficulty is upped when all its parts have been destroyed - the hit count doubles as well I think, but doesn't add too much on your score. If you leave one or two turrets alive for the bosses final form you'll get an easier run of things.

It has been a long time since I've played DDP though, so I could be wrong :wink:

EDIT : Also, always go wide for the horrible circular spreads at the final form. Sometimes you get the gap in the middle, but it isn't worth the risk - just go off laser and sneak round the outside, much safer.
charlie chong

Post by charlie chong »

no yor right in my opinion freddie.. if you shoot too many of the top turrets then it starts firing out the straight lines of red bullets which are a pain .. once its just those 4 turrets left i try to stay as near to the center of the boss as possible to avoid taking out any of the turrets if at all possible.
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

uuuh I would say it's best to take out the 4 turrets, trying to destroy the last 2 at the same times by damaging without destroying one of them before attacking the other. I think the central blue pattern goes to maximum difficulty after a while regardless of whether all turrets are destroyed or not so why would you not take them out ?
charlie chong

Post by charlie chong »

i much prefer the blue bullets to the red ones.. none of the bosses patterns particulary bother me it's just that when theres one turret left i sometimes get caught by the straight red line of bullets and i end up losing hits on the boss by having to lead the bullets to the left and right(and let go of my lazer) to make a gap to easily dodge through..gettin that last turret can be a bitch sometimes when it keeps firing . it dont matter that much tho ..
charlie chong

Post by charlie chong »

PROMETHEUS wrote:turrets, trying to destroy the last 2 at the same time

ahh now i see what you mean :o thanks pro!! :D
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

ye it doesn't matter much because it's not very hard at all when you have gotten good enough, but if you want to make it easier because that part is still hard for you then you should indeed take out those turrets with proper timing (last 2 @same time).
JHJ

Post by JHJ »

Not sure if this score is good enough for the board, but I'm very proud of it nonetheless :)

JHJ -- 25,605,890 -- C-S -- 1-5 -- 174

elfhentaifan

Post by elfhentaifan »

this board is not good enough for your score :wink:
bostongeorge

Post by bostongeorge »

Well I broke 12 mil on Level 4. Not great but it's good to know I'm making progress.

I'm debating on if I should put DDP aside for awhile and instead concentrate on ESPgaluda. I want to get my first 1CC and I think I might have an easier time doing it with Galuda first. Not that I would give up on DDP, not at all, it's just that I have to pick one for priority play if i want to stand a chance of a 1CC.

What do you guys think? ESPgaluda is supposed to be easier right?
elfhentaifan

Post by elfhentaifan »

espgaluda is fairer referring to the score system.
You cant allow yourself any mistakes at ddp, but in espgaluda you dont have to restart after one happened to you.
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

bostongeorge wrote:Well I broke 12 mil on Level 4. Not great but it's good to know I'm making progress.

I'm debating on if I should put DDP aside for awhile and instead concentrate on ESPgaluda. I want to get my first 1CC and I think I might have an easier time doing it with Galuda first. Not that I would give up on DDP, not at all, it's just that I have to pick one for priority play if i want to stand a chance of a 1CC.

What do you guys think? ESPgaluda is supposed to be easier right?
You will have a very easy time 1CCing DDP if playing C-S and bombing the hard places, making sure you don't die with any/many bombs when you die.
I think Espgaluda is a more interesting and fun 1CC than a "C-S survival" in DDP is, so I'd say you should go with Espgaluda.
elfhentaifan

Post by elfhentaifan »

Update!
Nice scores people and congrats Arvandor for taking a place in the top ten! :)
Arvandor

Post by Arvandor »

Better watch out Prometheus... I'm coming for you -_^

In a few hundred more hours of play anyways... If not more at the rate I suck it up 8)