Mountain of Faith (Touhou 10; ZUN, 2007)

moozooh

Post by moozooh »

A somewhat unusual update today.

Slime, the guy who holds the current record for Hard mode, improved it further by 90 millions to 1,949,611,900. And the run is damn near flawless, especially considering it's made with Reimu-A. There is a couple of slight mistakes, notably in stages 4 and 5, but otherwise the run is so polished (he gets third extend back in stage 2!) I really have troubles imagining what could possibly have to beimproved strategy-wise to get to 2 billions, except maybe switching to Marisa-C for faster boss speedkilling, and perhaps more productive faith harvesting at stage 4.

Replay here.
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Hmm, I guess I shouldn't leave this game without attention for a long time.

Just played a credit on Hard to refresh memory, and surprisingly, had beaten my previous score despite the unacceptably atrocious performance on stage 4. Stages 1 and 2 went quite well for the most part, though.

moozooh — 237,988,540 — 5 — Reimu-A — 0.1% — 1.00a (replay).

One thing I bothered to notice only now is that this game doesn't have any form of end-of-stage bonus whatsoever. That, and the fact that IN's Hard mode is easier despite having less bombs.
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

New Easy mode WR by USK: 1,501,096,930 (replay).

1.5 billions are finally broken.

[EDIT]
Another one: 1,502,626,970 (replay), made with Reimu-C.

Coming to think of it, it indeed is a logical choice, since she has the highest damage output of all characters, and the only downside to that — spread too wide to deliver full damage most of the time — can be much easier circumvented on Easy by safer pointblanking.
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

USK continues to conquer Easy mode: 1,520,389,360 with Reimu-B (replay). Considering he didn't even yet try Marisa-C, the most potentially effective character in the game, it's a damn lot. Many useful strategies in there, too!

Meanwhile, I'm continuing to conquer Hard mode:
moozooh — 449,588,360 — 6 — Reimu-A — 0.3% — 1.00a (replay).

Stages 1-3 went near-perfectly, stage 4 had one unneeded death at Aya (an acceptable battle otherwise), stage 5 had a lot of moronic deaths. Other than that, finished the game on Kanako's first attack pattern. But at least stage 6 is now open for practice, which is what I suppose I should be doing to beat this difficulty.
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

A weekend's work is done: I'm taking the Easy board back. In your face, zdk! :D

moozooh — 1,172,203,110 — ALL — Reimu-A — 0.0% — 1.00a (replay).

Overall a pretty average run past stage 3. I messed up a few important chains, which made me attempt riskier maneuvers, which furtunately turned out well (though I had several complete fluke moments with bullets spawning right in front of my face). Entered stage 6 with just over 800k, and Kanako fight with around 900k, which wasn't too good (could be ~980k with the strategies I was using). The single biggest mistake in this run was a shameful miss at the last spellcard. I was going for a capture, and suddenly got trapped too quick to realize it in time and panicbomb. :\ Had I bombed it instead of dying, it would be a score of about ~1.25B. With a successful capture, up to 1.4B (yeah!). Oh, well.

And another attempt at Hard mode:

moozooh — 483,734,060 — 6 — Reimu-A — 0.1% — 1.00a (replay).

Overall quite a shameful run. I was going to no-miss/no-bomb most of it, and was constantly getting hit with full power because of it. :\ Still, managed to get to Kanako's second spellcard. Not much of a progress, but eh, I'll be having a Hard 1CC soon, anyway.

Meanwhile, a new Easy mode update from USK, with Reimu-C again: 1,521,366,410 (replay).
Seems like the limit for Reimu-C lies somewhere around 1,525M (with better execution in stage 4 mainly). Marisa-C could probably bump that to 1,530M or even more. We'll see.

Also, 5th consecutive post! Woo!
Momijitsuki

Post by Momijitsuki »

It isn't a very good score, but that empty slot in the Easy board is kind of ugly.

Momijitsuki - 300,454,310 - ALL - ReimuA- 0.3% (I'm assuming 1.00a).

I would have a much better score if I didn't lose 4+ lives on the final spell card. It always gets me in the end. >_<
zdk

Post by zdk »

grrr....trying to drag me out of the woodwork?
haven't touched a shmup in almost a month. In a few days though it will be summer and I will finally have time to enact my revenge. (especially on those annoying boards that only have your name on them).
of course, thats what I said the last 3-4 times too
I'm so out of practice though...
spongdangly

Post by spongdangly »

Easy:
spongdangly - 656,201,830 - ALL - Reimu-A - 0.0% - 1.00a

I also get owned on the final spellcard.
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Updated!

The Easy WR is 1,526,244,790 now, btw, and it contains a couple new techniques that might be of interest to zdk. ;) Seems like over 1,530M is possible.

I wonder when the Normal scores are going to be pushed farther than they are, they're surprisingly low at the moment… Although that can be said for this board as well. :P
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

New Extra score (548,940,870, Reimu-A), and reformatting the first post in the same vein as on my IN board.

Also, new Easy mode WR by USK.

Also, STA.
spineshark

Post by spineshark »

Been playing this again since Subterranean Animism has been irritating me with the stupid odd-numbered stages. Finally got a Hard clear today.

spineshark - 444,154,840 - ALL - Marisa-C - .3% - 1.00a (replay)

The last few bosses were pretty sloppy, but at least I made it through with no deaths on the stages themselves. Should've finished with at least two lives, easily though, if not more like 4 or 5. I'm probably going to try to improve this, maybe even with a different character, then consider going for Lunatic. That's going to be a lot of work though, since I still haven't managed to get past Shizuha satisfactorily with anyone except Reimu-A >_<
lgb

Post by lgb »

I'm not seeing this infamous glitch. You're supposed to be between power levels 3 and 4, right? Nothing changes, 'cept I've got lasers.

Also, split all of your touhou boards by character. It's only fair.
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

lgb wrote:I'm not seeing this infamous glitch. You're supposed to be between power levels 3 and 4, right? Nothing changes, 'cept I've got lasers.
Shoot unfocused. Try on, say, stage 3 midboss: her lifebar is depleted before the shots even reach you.
lgb wrote:Also, split all of your touhou boards by character. It's only fair.
Let's discuss this.

For MoF, there's no need for it, really. First of all, I simply don't have enough score submissions to break the boards apart even further. Most of them will be empty or contain 1-2 entries (unless your plan for separation is "Reimu vs. Marisa"). But the actual reason there's no need for that is that there's little to no potential score variation between characters. Check here and here for an example, and see that overall variation between the top scores made with each character is no more than 5% in each case (1,534 vs. 1,456 mil in one case, and 990 vs. 956 mil in another, respectively). Which means you can get basically any target score with any character, and use one favorite character for all modes, which is not the case with most other Touhou games.

Now on to my other boards.

Imperishable Night has a total of 12 characters, of which only 6 are used. How do I group them? If I make groups akin to Garegga (eg., "Border Team - Reimu solo - Yukari solo", which is the only unambiguous choice I see), it will make 4x5 = 20 different boards (not counting any overall boards), where I suppose each should be no less than 5 entries. Are you completely sure it will be fair and won't cause more trouble than it supposedly will solve?

Subterranean Animism has 6 characters whose potential scoring capabilities vary much like in Perfect Cherry Blossom (where two characters dominate, two are halfway decent but hard to use, and two are complete balls). A distinction seems justified there, as I've pointed out sometime before, but so far I, once again, simply don't have enough content to separate the boards between all six (30 boards for a not very popular game is retarded, period). I could separate them between Reimu and Marisa, but it doesn't seem completely justified, although not much of a burden to do.

If I could use something like a <tt> tag or choose a monospace font to be able to link replays within the charts, it would save me some space and allow for some more content, but it's not possible in phpbb.

[EDIT]

I've readied a version of the STA scoreboard split by Reimu/Marisa. It's not yet online, though.

[EDIT2]

Done. Any feedback is to be posted in that thread, not this one.
lgb

Post by lgb »

moozooh, can I take one of your touhou boards over?
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

No.
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

<moozooh> hahaha
<moozooh> i just made a MoF hard mode run that ended on the last pattern of the last boss.
<moozooh> i was dodging really well, and with full bomb stock, too.
<moozooh> and then i got hit and that was the most DO NOT WANT moment of the week.

moozooh — 497,170,040 — 6 — Reimu-A — 0.0% — 1.00a (replay).

Enjoy the Mountain of Fail. :\
spineshark

Post by spineshark »

spineshark - 468,465,590 - ALL - Marisa-C - .3% - 1.00a

Still a crappy run, so I wasn't even going to post it, but today I managed to pull this.

Lunatic: spineshark - 122,324,320 - 4 - Marisa-C - .1% - 1.00a (replay)

Stage 1 was OK, I failed Minoriko's first spell which I really...shouldn't but oh well. It's hard enough getting a decent stage 1. Stage 2 was also tolerable but I botched the bombing on mid-boss Hina a bit. Then I died on her easy spell, and it all went downhill from there. I was distracted at the beginning of stage 3 and tried the lower-difficulty tactic (which doesn't work on Lunatic, lol) so another death there. Overall a really sloppy stage. Stage 4 is really evil and I was kind of impressed I got as far as I did because I haven't practiced it much on Lunatic.
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Updated, together with this:

Lunatic: moozooh — 181,484,630 — 4 — Reimu-A — 0.0% — 1.00a (replay).

Your turn now!
spineshark

Post by spineshark »

Lunatic:

spineshark - 206,883,980 - 5 - Marisa-C - .2% - 1.00a (replay)

I'm done for now. Maybe more tries tonight.
Impervious

Post by Impervious »

http://replays.gensokyo.org/download.php?id=1379

boooo. haven't touched this game in forever T-T;

D - ReimuA - 11,773,498 - 0.020%
G. Pepper: Good luck Star Fox!
Fox: I'll do my best! Andross won't have his way with me!
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

You mean it's on Extra, and with 117,734,980 points? Because that wasn't immediately clear from your post.
lgb

Re: Mountain of Faith (Touhou 10; ZUN, 2007)

Post by lgb »

Easy: lgb - 421.995.030 - ALL - Reimu.C - 0.00% - 1.00a

A bad run, but it's not dead last.
Momijitsuki

Re: Mountain of Faith (Touhou 10; ZUN, 2007)

Post by Momijitsuki »

lgb wrote:Easy: lgb - 421.995.030 - ALL - Reimu.C - 0.00% - 1.00a

A bad run, but it's not dead last.
It is now. *evil laugh*

Easy:
Momijitsuki - 476,827,950 - ALL - Reimu A - 0.1%

Oddly enough, I totally played this on impulse today, and just now saw that someone pushed me down the list. Talk about convenient. :p
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

All updated.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

I've decided this is the best touhou game. I suppose I should back that opinion up with some kind of argument, but I'm not going to.

Easy: Taylor - 712,677,070 - ALL - ReimuA - 0.0% - 1.00a
Extra: Taylor - 221,920,840 - X - ReimuA - 0.0% - 1.00a

First go playing Easy for score after watching a replay of someone doing it properly. I've got a feeling I did more harm than good bombing over the bosses non-spell card patterns as they tended to spit about 2 points and die instead of causing me a Fountain of Faith (oh ho) and then surviving for another cancel. Must be doing it too late, unless you have to die for it to work properly or something... Oh yeah, and screw Kanako's last two cards.

Extra score is ancient but that board looked lonely.

Might actually give this a decent stab.
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

You most definitely shouldn't consider death an option in this game. It is by, by far, the largest detriment to your score in a successful clear (making it my least favorite game in terms of scoring).

The next worst thing you can do is spend let the faith gauge deplete when there are no enemies on the screen. So, what you should do is memorize the largest gaps (stages 3 and 4 mainly) and kill the enemy groups appearing right before them sparingly, picking up one-two items at a time manually, and the last few via POC (move away from them to increase their travel time).

As for bombing for bullet-cancel, the only important places for it are stages 1 and 3 bosses' regular attacks, stage 4 midboss and the boss 3rd regular. After that it's pretty intuitive: as you see the screen clouded with bullets, it's most certainly profitable to drop a bomb. The only thing you need to keep track of is not dropping your power too low (i.e., try not to bomb at <3.00).

I'll update your scores in a minute.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Yeah, that's all good stuff. It'd probably be faster to list the places I can't improve my run at the moment. :)

Although, I don't mean dying as in... dying. But rather taking a bullet and then counter-bombing so I survive. In the replay I watched you'd always here the death sound before he set it off on the first boss' non-cards. I don't know if that matters, I assumed he was just showing off.
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Bombing without taking a hit costs 3k faith, deathbombing is free.

EDIT: Yeah, faith, not graze, sorry. >_>
Last edited by moozooh on Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Faith, yeah? That sounds... backwards.

I should be able to submit something better this week; my home monitor is widescreen so I play better at work - when I don't have people looming over me anyway. I keep dying on the bit before Hina (mid-boss) if I try and stay near the top, but that and the screen spam fairies are the biggest holes in my chain, so if I patch those up I should have something decent.

Also posting this here as I’ll get rocks thrown at me if I make a thread.
spineshark

Post by spineshark »

3000 really isn't much of a penalty; this is the second most bombwhoringest doujin I've ever played. (The first is Seihou Banshiryuu)