Battle Garegga (reborn)

Randorama

Re: Battle Garegga (reborn)

Post by Randorama »

What the hell...
Last edited by Randorama on Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
jpj

Post by jpj »

on grasshopper table, you have vorpal's name and score the wrong way around :)
RegalSin wrote:Videogames took my life away like the Natives during colonial times.
CIT

Post by CIT »

Vorpal wrote:Yep, that happens to me once in a while too at the part with the rails. It has all those popcorn ships that fly in random trajectories, so they love to go slightly off screen and drop you a medal there ;-(
In that spot it's always a good idea to leave at least one medal lying on the rail before you bomb the next rail segment, just as an insurance.

I fuck up the beginning of stage 2 more often, right before the flamingoes. So much enemy fire, so it's easy get hit while trying to collect a medal. :(
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Oh, I was referring to the rails in stage 3 before the miniboss-tank, the rails that have guns mounted on them.
CIT

Post by CIT »

Minor improvement:

8,739,960 - CIT - Stage 6 - Golden Bat

>pic<
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

2,875,780 - moozooh - Stage 5 - Golden Bat

This was a funny run. Basically, I wanted to see if I can survive longer by ignoring medal chains and medal vault bombing, and instead powered up to level 3 weapon + homing option formation. It was then when I suddenly realized that flamingoes could give more points than anything I could spend bombs on in stage 1, haha.

Died on first boss mk2 with 2+ bombs in stock. >_<
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Damn nice CIT, you're gonna knock me down soon >:-)
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

By the way, why is KET listed at the scoreboards? He's neither a world record holder (except with Chitta) nor a member of this forum, so I don't really understand what he's doing there.
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
elfhentaifan

Post by elfhentaifan »

he DID posted his score once before, here and i think he still is a member of this board (with a 2-post counter).
He does not really speak english, so he left us right after submitting his scores.
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Haha, really? I thought Japanese didn't care about gaijin scoreboards. :)
jpj

Post by jpj »

ket is a lurker who still browses the forum actually. nice guy :)
RegalSin wrote:Videogames took my life away like the Natives during colonial times.
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Yes, just found this post. Seems like KET indeed does browse this forum, so my apologies to him. :)
RGB

Post by RGB »

3,424,750 - RGB - Stage 3 - Golden Bat

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/6349/vvkg7.jpg

I made a terrible gaffe in this run. Basically, I suicided on the third boss, but wasn't so confident with him yet, espacially on so high rank, so yeah I later flew into a bullet by mistake, and it was game over for me:(
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Tried something with Chitta today. Not that bad (I think I like her more tha Golden Bat), although I still prefer Gain.

2,673,520 - moozooh - Stage 4 - Chitta C (Magic Fire?).

I guess I'll try the ABC version now.

[EDIT]
Ok, ABC version sucks. Instead, I played some more with Gain (C):

3,210,450 - moozooh - Stage 4 - Baster Sword.

An invisible bullet got me at the beginning of stage 4 with 10k medal chain going. >_<
Wes112

Post by Wes112 »

3,682,160 - Wes - Stage 6 - Iron Mackerel

I made it past stage 5 for the first time with two lives left and lost them quickly in stage 6.
CIT

Post by CIT »

9,423,630 - CIT - Stage 7 - Golden Bat

Successfully milked Mad Ball in Stage 5, which gave me a lot of points. Died during BHmk2' second grid attack. I bombed, but too late... :evil:
Radegou

Post by Radegou »

Little improvment:

9,558,800 - Radegou - Stage 6 - S. Magic Bomb

Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Oh ho ho, I'm not going down that easy you bastards! Time to get to work...

(Just kidding, I love competition)
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Yay, took my spot back, though probably only for a day until I get slaughtered again by CIT and Radegou >:-)

9,615,940 - Vorpal - Stage 6 - Gain (ABC)

Link to mame replay:
http://webpages.charter.net/bgspencer/inp/v-bg-9M.zip
CIT

Post by CIT »

Wow, you guys made a quick comeback! I don't think I can return the favor so soon though, as I'm sticking with Wild Snail for the time being. The Mahou characters are just too broken. :P :wink:
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Broken?? Then I guess you haven't played with Gain yet?
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
CIT

Post by CIT »

I meant "broken" in the sense of "abnormally good for scoring". :wink:
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I dunno... with Gain at least, I don't seem to receive the "option bonus" for destroyed bits on bosses, so I have a harder time actually. The flamingoes however are much more consistent, whereas with Wild Snail it's like playing the lottery hoping your flame thrower doesn't spin off.

Speaking of that, in my mame replay there you can see I drop 3 bombs at once on the flamingoes... but usually I'm capped at 2. Did I encounter a bug, or how the hell did I do that?
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

While we're at flamingoes, a question: does it make more sense to not wait for the bomb effect to stop when using Gain?

I usually wait until it disappears before dropping the next (I usually have 3+ in stock by the time I reach the flamingo bush), and barely ever get over 1.3M that way, even though I try dropping the bombs in the densest parts of the bird flock.

So, what is best in this case?
zinger

Post by zinger »

Vorpal wrote:Speaking of that, in my mame replay there you can see I drop 3 bombs at once on the flamingoes... but usually I'm capped at 2. Did I encounter a bug, or how the hell did I do that?
I think it's related to the sprite limit, at least that's what Icarus told me. Feels kinda random, but maybe there's some strategy for pulling off this consistantly. It's been so long since I last played the game.
SOUNDSHOCK
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

moozoh: I don't know what the pros (aka psychos) do, as I haven't seen a gain superplay yet I don't think, but after about 100 trials (thank you save states ^^) this is the method that scores the most for me;

Wait until the castle is about a third down the screen, so that there is some space for the flamingoes to fly and thus score off of. Drop a bomb with the goal of just scratching the castle, and the rest of the bomb's duration should be hitting flamingoes. Then just destroy the treeline where they come out with all remaining bomb stock. Nets me ~1.5 - 1.6 mil every time.

I've tried bombing the castle and shooting the castle with Gain, but it seems to be better to ignore it and just focus on killing those birds.

edit: and no, I don't wait for the duration to expire before launching the next. Though I'll admit I haven't tested the alternative method extensively (but when I did, it was usually signifigantly lower).
zinger

Post by zinger »

There's also a method that involves suiciding exactly before you get the first extend from the flamingos, to gain a full bomber item. I've managed to get ~2,5 mil out of this (resulting in 2,9 after the birds), but it's tricky to get it right.
SOUNDSHOCK
CIT

Post by CIT »

That method is shown in the Bornnam replay on the Saturn version, iirc. Extremely difficult to pull off.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

@moozoh: At least on this replay, the player uses all of his bombs without waiting. So I guess that's the most effective way for scoring.

The suicide trick is also shown in it.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

So what's the consensus on KET? Like what's with his custom version of Mame, I don't even see any kind of documentation saying what's been altered...

Also, was just looking at one of the videos linked in this thread (http://zoome.jp/garelab/diary/6/), where he does his sortof "signature move", making the options go psychotic ~03:00. I don't quite see how that is possible without some sort of turbo function/controller or slowdown.

They're amazing superplays and I'm sure he worked his ass off on them... but... well, nobody thinks it's weird?