Battle Garegga (reborn)

jpj

Post by jpj »

Vorpal wrote:So what's the consensus on KET? Like what's with his custom version of Mame, I don't even see any kind of documentation saying what's been altered...

Also, was just looking at one of the videos linked in this thread (http://zoome.jp/garelab/diary/6/), where he does his sortof "signature move", making the options go psychotic ~03:00. I don't quite see how that is possible without some sort of turbo function/controller or slowdown.

They're amazing superplays and I'm sure he worked his ass off on them... but... well, nobody thinks it's weird?
why don't you just ask him in pm or something? :?
RegalSin wrote:Videogames took my life away like the Natives during colonial times.
ICR

Post by ICR »

Vorpal wrote:So what's the consensus on KET? Like what's with his custom version of Mame, I don't even see any kind of documentation saying what's been altered...
Then you aren't looking hard enough.

BOOST - "frameskip11 and speed limitation off" toggle button
AUTODELAY - autofire delay can be changed at will via a keypress with the increments 8.6→10→12→15→20→30→8.6→・・・
BLAZE - probably more fixed auto settings? (on/off/15/30)
RESET - when recording an input in MAME, both the emulator and the input recording can be reset with F3, so no need to exit the emulator to restart recording.

Also, last time I checked GareggaMAME, it was using the MAME32+ base with some extra features to allow KET to study the rank system a little more closely (such as viewing changes to rank per frame in pause-and-framestep mode and so on).
Vorpal wrote:Also, was just looking at one of the videos linked in this thread (http://zoome.jp/garelab/diary/6/), where he does his sortof "signature move", making the options go psychotic ~03:00. I don't quite see how that is possible without some sort of turbo function/controller or slowdown.
That's not KET in the video, that's CCB.
And autofire settings can be applied to the Option button as well, even on the Saturn version via the Mania customisations. I recall Rastan78 and I talking about it in the ST thread a long time ago, that auto on an Option button is usually a good idea as it recreates a Wide formation without having to drop Shot icons.
Vorpal wrote:They're amazing superplays and I'm sure he worked his ass off on them... but... well, nobody thinks it's weird?
Nope. But then again, I've had the luxury of seeing Japanese Garegga players do their thing in person.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Icarus <3

Thanks for shedding some light, I have felt like a dick about it but it bothered me quite a bit.
Icarus wrote:That's not KET in the video, that's CCB.
Oops, I assumed it was him, haven't seen anyone else do that option spam ;-p

Anyhoo, my apologies for being so blunt. They are great replays that I've enjoyed watching, whatever the case.

I remember in our Darius Gaiden thread we say whether we enable autofire or not. Perhaps we should do the same here?
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Been playing this for the past couple of days and this is my best score so far:

5,856,320 - Ruldra - Stage 6 - Golden Bat

Died at the Turret Wall of Doom.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
MGN

Post by MGN »

:x fuck it :x
close to the next extend !
just before black heart

Nose Lavagghin MK2 took my only stored life (I hate you), and I've broke Mad Ball MK2 without milk.

5 924 200 - MGN - stage 5 - Golden Bat

ImageImage

EDIT :
Radegou wrote:9,558,800 - Radegou - Stage 6 - S. Magic Bomb
Hey Radegou, it's time to update your ibara high score too :wink:
take a look http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=18254 c'est beau un A
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Heh, was just practicing stages 6 and 7 for a week using save states with fairly high rank, and couldn't handle the Stage 7 turret-spam before the cockpit. So I loaded my character selection save state to manage my rank better and get a better save state on stage 6 to practice with.

So of course I end up doing insanely well and beating Black Heart Mk II for the first time without using save states (well, aside from the one to reset my game as previously mentioned).

Got 12.2M, died right quick on Glow Squid ;-p

Though I suppose I won't post the score since all I have is a screen shot and no replay. Gonna get cracking on a real one... >:-)

edit: er, I mean 11.2M. Damned Garegga scoring system ;-P
clp

Post by clp »

fuck i love this game! ,so far ive never used save states ever to practice which has certainly made learning stage 5 boss challenging heh

6,241,520 -clp - Stage 6 - iron mackeral
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Small improvement:

6,528,250 - Ruldra - Stage 6 - Golden Bat
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

While I'm here, I should probably answer some questions.
Vorpal wrote:I really DO want to see replays, but not to judge them for "legitimacy". I just want to see how YOU guys handle various bullet patterns, because the "pros" just freaking brute-force-micro-move through them.
My old Bornnam 9.84mil kuso is back online. (XVID - 272MB)
Goes to stage6, before the turrets (simultaneously dying and dropping Medals at Black Heart killed the run.)
zinger wrote:
Vorpal wrote:Speaking of that, in my mame replay there you can see I drop 3 bombs at once on the flamingoes... but usually I'm capped at 2. Did I encounter a bug, or how the hell did I do that?
I think it's related to the sprite limit, at least that's what Icarus told me. Feels kinda random, but maybe there's some strategy for pulling off this consistantly. It's been so long since I last played the game.
There is a sort of sprite limitation in effect, but I've been able to trigger a three-Weapon drop quite consistently if I drop 1 full and one partial before grabbing the full-Weapon item.
This is on the Saturn version, by the way.
zinger wrote:There's also a method that involves suiciding exactly before you get the first extend from the flamingos, to gain a full bomber item. I've managed to get ~2,5 mil out of this (resulting in 2,9 after the birds), but it's tricky to get it right.
CIT wrote:That method is shown in the Bornnam replay on the Saturn version, iirc. Extremely difficult to pull off.
First, a quick replay with Gain, nabbing 2.3mil.
(Laugh as I completely mistime a suicide and thus don't get a free full-Weapon.)
http://bigcore.rsdio.com/icarus/garegga ... il_icr.avi

While I don't actually recall seeing it done by WAT on the Saturn superplay, I myself have managed to do it with Bornnam, although there isn't much point since you can't drop more than one Weapon at once. You can do it in one of two ways: lead one of the slow-moving homing drones around the side of the screen, then suicide off it (like in the Gain clip), or keep distance from one of the turrets on the right, and suicide off their shots (like in the Bornnam clip).

I think you can get over 3mil with the full-Weapon suicide, but you have to place your Weapons in the right place. I'm still experimenting with the timing of the first Weapon drop to release the birds since, as you guys should know, it differs depending on the ship you're using.

By the way, did the gunblimp with Gain, as well.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

replays \o/

*tongue kisses Icarus*
elfhentaifan

Post by elfhentaifan »

wtf gay
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

10,353,400 - Vorpal - Stage 7 - Gain (ABC)

My highest (provable) run so far :-D

Should have an 11 mil replay soon.
zakk

Post by zakk »

Why hello there...still playing this, still using Bornnam!

5,477,700 - Zakk - Stage 5 - Gate of Hell

Video etc here: http://bigcore.rsdio.com/zakk/replay/?p=99
MLeJazz

Post by MLeJazz »

Little Up:

7 520 420 - MLeJazz - stage 5 - S. Magic Bomb
CLICK BANNER TO ACCESS THE RADIO
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

7.5 Mill by stage 5 is really good, keep it up and knock us off the scoreboard!
>:-D
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Slight improvement, though too many embarassing deaths to post the replay (will upon request though) ;-P

10,554,390 - Vorpal - Stage 7 - Gain (ABC)
clp

Post by clp »

6,931,560 - clp - Stage 6 - Iron mackeral

Aru-san

Post by Aru-san »

1,728,360 - Aru-san - Stage 3 - Gain (Magic S. Bomb)
[ Wonder Force IV -sorry Frenetic :c- ]
Enhasa

Post by Enhasa »

7,212,030 - Enhasa - Stage 6 - Baster Sword

Blech, I left a lot of points on the table, but I did get a lot farther than I typically do and set a personal best, so yeah.
"I think happiness is just being able to loaf without stress."

http://speeddemosarchive.com/
Enhasa

Post by Enhasa »

8,285,550 - Enhasa - Stage 6 - Gate of Hell

Ok, it seems like I actually do better with Bornnam. He's relatively easy to score well with, so I wonder why there aren't more Bornnam scores.

freddiebamboo

Post by freddiebamboo »

3,311,890 - freddiebamboo - Stage 4 - Bornnam (Gate Of Hell)

Finally got round to playing this after years of ignorance and I'm really enjoying it, certainly a lot more forgiving than I thought it would be. Dropped medals in stage 3, missed the 1up and scored bugger all in stage 4 as I haven't practiced it much, but it's still the best I've done.
freddiebamboo

Post by freddiebamboo »

4,613,540 - freddiebamboo - Stage 5 - Bornnam (Gate Of Hell)
Cromarty

Post by Cromarty »

4,957,750 - Cromarty - Stage 4 - Gate of Hell
5m feels so far away, I get 4.5m, 4.7m, 4.5m again, over and over.
freddiebamboo wrote:Dropped medals in stage 3, missed the 1up and scored bugger all in stage 4
Story of my life :lol:
That hovertank seems more durable than any of the first three bosses.
Your party has been waylaid by monsters.
captpain

Post by captpain »

3,461,630 - CPN - 4 - WILD SNAIL (Golden Bat)

First try at scoring. this game is mind blowing
Cromarty

Post by Cromarty »

5,691,060 - Cromarty - Stage 5 - Gate of Hell
Didn't have a bomb for Satanic Surfer and killed it too early, and then I got shot down by a floating platform. :lol:
Your party has been waylaid by monsters.
spineshark

Post by spineshark »

5,070,080 - spineshark - Stage 5 - Magic Fire

I need to figure out the Stage 4 boss medal trick. I've made it up there a few times and every time I have to skip it rather than losing the medal chain.

I finished off the Madball repeat by bombing it, then got an extend on Black Heart from the little guys he shoots out. I got killed by something a minute later, and when I ran into the corner to get my options back, he used the sweep move from the opposite side of the screen. I was way too far away to dodge it right :P
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Scores Updated. Apologies to everybody and thanks to Enhasa, for some mysterious reasons I was logged out and wondering why I didn't receive any updates, bah.
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
Enhasa

Post by Enhasa »

Thanks! 8)

Sometimes the forum just logs you out by itself.

Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

My first credit after not playing Garegga for 4 years. This is the definition of luck.

A,489,710 - Plasmo - Stage 7 - Gain (C)

Highlight was definitely dodging BHmkII's sidewinder attack, eventhough I never did it before. Died in the very last seconds of the last boss. I wouldn't have believed a Clear anyway!
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
jpj

Post by jpj »

i played this loads before i had to sell it. same ship and sub-type, couldn't get higher than 7.2 :? and only twice made it to stage 6 :? did you manage to keep your medals going throughout?
RegalSin wrote:Videogames took my life away like the Natives during colonial times.