Post by AmidstStorm »

Some improvement.

AmidstStorm - 859,100 - 2-7 - Edit mode - SFC
dannnnn

Re: Gradius III (SNES/ARC/PS2)

Post by dannnnn »

Ruldra wrote:
Kollision wrote:Quick questions:
isn't the PS2 version supposed to be arcade-perfect?
what's the reason for the table split?
Probably because of the Extra Edit option on the PS2 version.

But there ARE some slight differences on the PS2 version, it's not arcade-perfect. From memory, I remember that the moai columns always rotate at the same speed on the PS2, while on the arcade version they sometimes rotate slower when you destroy some of the heads. This sometimes can get you killed because you need to hurry and destroy the column fast but it slows down and takes too long to expose the next head.
To add to that, AFAIK the PS2 version's slowdown isn't identical to the arcade's. However, I do think the differences are fairly minor and not enough to warrant splitting the tables. The PS2 port is accurate enough and I think lumping it together with the PCB and MAME scores whilst keeping any Extra Edit scores in their own table would be the best option.
Observer wrote:WELCOME TO VIOLENT CITY. That's all the storyline I need.
Twinbee

Post by Twinbee »

Oh hey my old account still works here heh.

I got a copy of GIII&IV from someone on these boards...man, over half a decade ago. I fired up this game again and want to try for the PS2 board later.

Questions though; what settings should I use for this board? Is the extended edit modes okay? Where is the "High Score Try" mode, I can't find this (erm, yeah what's the settings on that mode too?)
richter3456

Post by richter3456 »

Just got back to this game after about a year of not touching it. Took me about three attempts to get as far as I did. I managed to 1LC upto 2-7. The boss of that stage killed me at the same time I destroyed its core, so that kinda sucked.

SNES
richter3456 - 1,121,300 - 2-10 - Edit

Damn, I almost made it to the 3rd loop too.

Didactically speaking, seminal evidence seems to explicate the fact that your repudiation of entropy supports my theory of space-time synthesis. Of this, I am irrefutably confident
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

Sorry folks; I wasn't getting notifications on this thread for some reason. Let me know if missed anyone.
mathman

Post by mathman »

mathman - 4-1 - Edit - 2,005,200

Edit Weapons - Hawk.W/Tailgun/T.Laser/F.Option/Reduce/R.Options

Run Breakdown

Loop 1 (619,700) - Missed the Fire bonus stage after trying to milk the stage for what it was worth. 1 death in the 2nd last checkpoint of the last stage.

Loop 2 (1,319,100) - Died on the speed bonus stage. Spent lots of lives trying to time out Beacon but did it eventually.

Loop 3 (1,956,500) - No Death after two false starts. Extremely defensive on the bonus stages - didn't really go for points on the Bubble bonus and I took the Moai bonus eventhough I knew it would score less. No Death Loop Score 622,200.

Loop 4 - More false starts, finally got R.Options but I still died. I almost made it to the third checkpoint on the desert stage once but couldn't succeed.

I must say this game is significantly easier with Reduce and Formation Options. Playing this with the four base types is much harder and the last two bonus stages are much more difficult to score on. I still haven't beaten loop 2 on Type C.

I'll post a video of the Loop 3 No-Miss run later.

pic: http://t.co/dm8EX2EUMy
vid: http://youtu.be/CRQLKK-jOiM
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Squirrel - SNES - 2-10 - 1,027,500

Thank you Aquas to pointing me into this direction of the scoreboard :)

Edit weapons - Missle, Double, Twin Laser, F-Option, Reduce, Mega Crush
SuperXGamma

Post by SuperXGamma »

Yeah!!!! Just got the SNES Gradius 3 1 Credit Clear!

Super X Gamma - 2-1 - 543,900 - Edit Mode - 2 Way Back, Double, Twin Laser, F. Option, Reduce, Full Barrier

I will post again when I get further in the loop
SuperXGamma

Post by SuperXGamma »

Super X Gamma - 891,700 - 2-5 - Edit.

SNES. 2nd time I nearly had a loop 1 1 life clear. Gotta get past those regenerating walls, RAWR... loop 2 isn't all that hard.
maiaihii

Post by maiaihii »

Hey guys I'm new here, I have the official world record on Gradius III on SNES and I'm wondering if these scores were done without any cheats or pausing. If tviks really beat me I'd like him to get the record, then I'll have some friendly competition. My score was 2,943,000. I think it was the 5th or 6th loop, I don't remember any more that was back in 2011. Thanks!
CIT

Post by CIT »

SNES:

CIT - 1,086,600 - 2-10 - Edit

Died in the final respawning wall before the final boss. (T_T)'
pegboy

Post by pegboy »

I finally beat Gradius III (PS2 version) and was looking around to see if anyone else has done it with the Wait level turned off (Wait 0). Here's my video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dC7A3iIdAwg

As far as I can tell no one else has posted a full run, no wait video and I couldn't find any records of it from searching. Anyway, my final score was a bit higher than the end of the video shows because I played loop 2 a little but I'm fine with just taking the score at the end of the video:

PS2 Score: 674680, 2-1, Type B, Wait Level 0

I've also beaten the SNES version on arcade difficulty, although I never really tried specifically for a hi score so it's not very impressive: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjQ1_8hbp9I

SNES Score: 565900, 2-1, Type C, Arcade difficulty
beatsgo

Post by beatsgo »

pegboy wrote: As far as I can tell no one else has posted a full run, no wait video and I couldn't find any records of it from searching.
Actually there is a no wait video with the hitbox visible from a japanese player, Succulla. Let's just say it requires some really good reaction to even be anywhere great on GIII with no visible hitbox.

I do recall seeing alamone doing some no wait videos of GIII, but he only went up to Level 6
Ex-STGWeekly Crew
Sky of Pin
LoserGaiden
shmups IRC wrote:wich linode wud u fuk
pegboy

Post by pegboy »

beatsgo wrote:
pegboy wrote: As far as I can tell no one else has posted a full run, no wait video and I couldn't find any records of it from searching.
Actually there is a no wait video with the hitbox visible from a japanese player, Succulla. Let's just say it requires some really good reaction to even be anywhere great on GIII with no visible hitbox.

I do recall seeing alamone doing some no wait videos of GIII, but he only went up to Level 6
The video you posted with the hitbox enabled is not a full no-wait video. He turns the wait to level 2 right after killing the stage 6 boss, right before the fireball hell level and then leaves it at 2 for the rest of the game. He only did the first 6 levels at no-wait, just like Alamone who posted the other video of levels 1-6 on youtube.
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

PS2 version

Kollision - 544,910 - 2-1 - Type B

always weird how I was sometimes getting more than 600K but eventually failing to clear the loop
heh, scoring was never the selling point of Gradius games anyway :roll:

anyway, I did it on wait level 0
video for the first loop is up
getting into the second round with a bare ship is a joke :?
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Wow great job, beating this one is no small feat. Congratulations!

I wanted to beat this game so much but the ice cube rush and the final level always destroyed me. They're absolute hell.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
pegboy

Post by pegboy »

Kollision wrote:PS2 version

Kollision - 544,910 - 2-1 - Type B

always weird how I was sometimes getting more than 600K but eventually failing to clear the loop
heh, scoring was never the selling point of Gradius games anyway :roll:

anyway, I did it on wait level 0
video for the first loop is up
getting into the second round with a bare ship is a joke :?
Congrats again, what a great clear! I've been wondering if anyone else would attempt a WAIT 0 run and you did it! I wouldn't worry about the score too much, since dying over and over on the cube stage will rack up the points. Dying on the boss rush is also another way to rack up points, but very dangerous lol. Clearing the game is much more important!

On the second loop it's pretty much impossible to get very far unless you have a fully powered ship. Even then, under WAIT 0 conditions I'm not sure anyone has ever cleared loop 2. I wonder if someone will ever do it...

Edit: By the way, I really enjoy your website with the 1CC log, you are a very good writer!
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

Thanks, guys! :D
In the end I got so used to the cube rush I was more confident in it that in the rest of the game per se....
Huge thanks to Konami for allowing that cube attack practice in the port, it was really useful.
As for that final stage, I lost count of how many times I got crushed everywhere in it, those tight passages are the worst since it takes just a slightly wrong move to kill the credit instantly.

Hopefully Gaiden and IV will be less stressful? :roll:
CIT

Post by CIT »

Congrats! I've been following your blog for years, and I think this is the hardest 1CC so far. You'll have a nice relaxing time with Gaiden probably, although ultimately it's a way better game than III in just about every way, IMO. IV on the other hand... ;)
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

iv is the same type of game, though it seems easier at first. especially when you start looping, stage 6 (cells) is going to drive you insane.

also, most of the lasers suck.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
G3Fleako

Post by G3Fleako »

Fleako-1341770-3-2(ARC)
Emulator play, First Loop2 No Miss
Sebrex

Post by Sebrex »

Just beat Normal for the first time.

http://www.vizzed.com/vizzedboard/retro ... t3853).png

2-1, 535300, Edit
Aquas

Post by Aquas »

SNES (Hard mode)

Aquas - 982,800 - 2-High speed stage - Edit

Hard mode may not be submittable, but just wanted to post anyways.
STG Weekly!, 1cc's, twitch, XBL: DJ Aquazition
The in-game papers prove that being the paperboy is actually a position of the greatest importance,
ranking alongside top elected officials for notoriety. -Ed Oscuro
pegboy

Post by pegboy »

I just wanted to make a small correction to my Gradius III Arcade (PS2 port) score. When I originally posted my score I didn't take the points I earned in the second loop into account, so it's a bit higher, it should be:

pegboy - 682,080 - 2-1 - Type B, Wait Level 0

Perikles

Post by Perikles »

SNES version

Perikles – 1,153,200 – 3-1 – Edit

I will clear the Arcade/PS2 version one day! At least I hope so. I was able to consistently get to the Crystal stage but couldn't stand the frustration of getting crushed by it after a while.
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

SNES version

Perikles - 2,957,400 - 6-1 - Edit

This was long overdue. It might look like just another score, but this means a lot to me (will write the story down elsewhere). First stage is frightening and tense as all hell from loop 3 onwards, I'm almost positive that it is flat-out impossible to beat the first boss with just a naked ship.

If you beat this score and are not tviks himself, then consider yourself a monster! :P

Arcade Gradius III will fall next year! :)
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

Arcade Gradius III will fall next year! :)
And it did! :D

Arcade version

Perikles - 597,960 - 2-1 - Type B

Video