STGT 2k7- Week #4 Omega Fighter SRSM

neo

Post by neo »

neo - Team France - 3'066'540 - 1-3 - MAME
So the scoring system is all about suiciding at the right moment. I don't think I would have voted for this game if I had known about this special bonus earlier.
Skyrandia

Post by Skyrandia »

Skyrandia - Cyber City Team - 6 530 240 - 1-6 - MAME

From what I gather from a few attempts with the new info given out, the start of stage 1-6 is very hard if you suicide on boss of 1-5 for the million.
You can probably hold 2 bombs handy for the next level to make things easier though.

Unfortunately I don't have much motivation or time to play anymore this week to try to get a better score.....

I really don't mind this though as this game feels like a bit of a mess to me for more then one reason!!

Thanks though to the people who contributed to giving out the info though. This has made the game atleast tolerable for tournament play.
SleepersEye

Post by SleepersEye »

SleepersEye - Team SDA - 2,619,880 - 1-2 - MAME

I wasn't planning on submitting anything this week since I'm preoccupied with studies (convenience at its best!), but there you go.

Another score from me at the weekend if I'm that bored. Heh.

Also, this game is stupid* generous with extends.

* on second thoughts, you could end the sentence right here and it would still be valid
neo

Post by neo »

neo - Team France - 4'083'730 - 1-4 - MAME
KennyMan666

Post by KennyMan666 »

KennyMan666 - Team Sweden - 2,355,080 - 1-2 - MAME

Scoring in this game just went from slightly inconvenient to stupid! I like the game, but this million bonus is making it give me the finger time and time again...
My 1CCs so I can find the list easier myself
<Despatche> you've been a thorn in the shmups community since the beginning, you're largely responsible for the horrible face of modern speedrunning
viniciusvbf

Post by viniciusvbf »

viniciusvbf - Pelé Shooting Team - 3,774,530 - 1-4 - MAME
DEL

!

Post by DEL »

Hurry Up.
Sword

Post by Sword »

Sword - IWST - 2.428.710 - 1-3 - MAME
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

NOW this feels like a Yagawa game.
so long and tanks for all the spacefish
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays
CRI

Post by CRI »

CRI - Sturmvogel - 6,071,070 - 1-6 - MAME
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

sikraiken wrote:
RotateMe wrote:Sweet! But is it legit to just change dispswitches? Is it like on the original PCB then?
The first post of the thread says "-Difficulty: Special (ensure "Special" is under the title logo. Access this by going to Test Mode via F2. Select it in the menu.)" so I'd say yes. No one will beat DEL's score otherwise. Believe me, Twiddle and I tested it extensively. (Thanks to mikwuyma too, and some other people in shmups irc).
Technically, this is not default. Difficulty is selected by dipswitch config (leave all dips set to off for Normal Difficulty and Normal extends), the Special bonus mode under the test menu is not enabled automatically on an OF Special PCB, therefore not default. I have no problem with this, since it seems to have been more of an oversight on the devs part, but it's worth saying.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Go figure, now I can pass 1-3 no problems now.

Squirrel - let's destroy STGT07 - 3,907,350- 1-4 - MAME

I'm actually enjoying this game.
Macaw

Post by Macaw »

Wait, so this 'special' mode can be accessed from both the normal Omega Fighter and Omega Fighter Special, so whats the difference between the two then?

And if this special mode isn't default then why on earth are we playing with it?

The world record for Omega Fighter over at the Italian site is 17.1mill. Would this have been done with the 'special' mode activated?

Can this week possibly get any more retarded?
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

Macaw wrote:Wait, so this 'special' mode can be accessed from both the normal Omega Fighter and Omega Fighter Special, so whats the difference between the two then?
keeping bombs after death
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
stanski

Post by stanski »

I'm actually having fun with this game now that there is no real score system to worry about at all besides "LOLRAMINTOBOSS." Stage 6 is ridiculous though, I tried to suicide into shit to make a path but yea i should actually practice the level since it was my first time getting there.

stanski - Team SDA - 6,193,700 - 1-6 - MAME
RotateMe

Post by RotateMe »

I don't really know why you people hate the special thing so much. It's just loosing one life for every boss. I see the problem with normal scoring getting more and more unimportant but it's nice to have the 1ups coming so frequently, isn't it? :D

RotateMe - Sturmvogel - 5'592'610 - 1-6 - MAME

Missed the Bonus for the fourth boss. Surviving the beginning of 1-6 with low power weapon and no bombs seems to be impossible.
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

RotateMe wrote:I don't really know why you people hate the special thing so much. It's just loosing one life for every boss. I see the problem with normal scoring getting more and more unimportant
You can get upwards of 8 million normally, probably a few more if you're some kind of mutant. You can still incorporate most of that point gain into your stage strategy.
unban shw
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

Macaw wrote:Wait, so this 'special' mode can be accessed from both the normal Omega Fighter and Omega Fighter Special, so whats the difference between the two then?

And if this special mode isn't default then why on earth are we playing with it?
Definitely not default, consider it an oversight due to being a 'hidden gem'. Thinking about it more, the special bonus mode does seem to break the game a bit. Too many extends + 1,000,000 suicide trick is far too generous considering the ease... somewhat negates the heart (and finesse) of the score system which is proximity multiplier.
The world record for Omega Fighter over at the Italian site is 17.1mill. Would this have been done with the 'special' mode activated?
No.
Twiddle wrote:
RotateMe wrote:I don't really know why you people hate the special thing so much. It's just loosing one life for every boss. I see the problem with normal scoring getting more and more unimportant
You can get upwards of 8 million normally, probably a few more if you're some kind of mutant. You can still incorporate most of that point gain into your stage strategy.
8mil? The normal OF record w/o special bonus mode is 17.
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

I was talking about not using the noshoot-nomiss bonus. I'm pretty sure the WR holder did it a couple or 3 times per loop and scored normally elsewhere.
unban shw
Macaw

Post by Macaw »

So the question remains, why the heck aren't we just playing with full defaults. This special mode is stupid with how many extends you get.
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

Twiddle- I don't understand, what noshoot-nomiss bonus? Wasn't that just confusion from before?

Yet still, 17mil is the WR on defaults.
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

If you don't shoot and don't die, you get a 1m special bonus if you're not playing in Special mode. You can do this in the first six stages (feasibility in question for some stages), though in most places (namely stage 3 and 6) you get more points with red bomb placement.
unban shw
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

I see....so you guys did confirm that. Clarification appreciated. :)
ArcticXC

Post by ArcticXC »

Lulz.

ArcticXC - IWST - 2.865.440 - 1-5 - MAME

Mostly just checking to see how this bonus stuff works. Hi-larity. Sik you are awesome.
Infintium

Post by Infintium »

Infintium - The Underdogs - 5,878,650 - 1-6 - (MAME)

javel

Post by javel »

Macaw wrote:So the question remains, why the heck aren't we just playing with full defaults.
This is what I want to know too! I didnt vote for this shit :?
neo

Post by neo »

neo - Team France - 6'076'950 - 1-6 - MAME
1-6 is really brutal without any power-up. At least the explosions of my ship got me lots of *10. :lol:

Yagawa was definitely inspired by this game for battle garegga, both are all about suiciding, bombing the right places and extends everywhere. Even though it's the most stupid scoring system I have ever seen, I find it really enjoyable, although I understand why it's not everyone's cup of tea.
bsidwell

Post by bsidwell »

bsidwell - Team SDA - 5,968,120 - 1-6
Wow. Special mode changes this game a LOT (making it much more enjoyable IMO, if quite a bit easier.)
Macaw wrote:So the question remains, why the heck aren't we just playing with full defaults. This special mode is stupid with how many extends you get.
Because the poll listed "Omega Fighter Special", not "Omega Fighter Default"
Macaw

Post by Macaw »

bsidwell wrote:Because the poll listed "Omega Fighter Special", not "Omega Fighter Default"
What on earth is the logic here. If the poll lists Omega Fighter Special then you would expect we would be playing the game normally without turning the retarded special mode on. The 'Special' in the game title and the 'special' in the service menu are different things.
Fu

Post by Fu »

Macaw wrote:What on earth is the logic here. If the poll lists Omega Fighter Special then you would expect we would be playing the game normally without turning the retarded special mode on. The 'Special' in the game title and the 'special' in the service menu are different things.
Yes, but maybe the only way to play Omega Fighter Special is to switch to Special by the service mode. I'm also not for playing with this mode, and would like wait after DJ Incompetent for a clarification.