STGT 2k7- Week #4 Omega Fighter SRSM

moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Fu wrote:
Macaw wrote:What on earth is the logic here. If the poll lists Omega Fighter Special then you would expect we would be playing the game normally without turning the retarded special mode on. The 'Special' in the game title and the 'special' in the service menu are different things.
Yes, but maybe the only way to play Omega Fighter Special is to switch to Special by the service mode. I'm also not for playing with this mode, and would like wait after DJ Incompetent for a clarification.
But he made it quite clear in the first post already, didn't he?
DJ Incompetent wrote:-Difficulty: Special (ensure "Special" is under the title logo. Access this by going to Test Mode via F2. Select it in the menu.)
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

special bonus mode ON, as prescribed

oxtsu - California Dudez - 8,972,130 - 1-7 - PCB
Boric

Post by Boric »

Special mode on in service menu

Boric - Team Fremont - 5,529,710 - 1-6 (i think, the one after you go inside the ship) - MAME

Boric Phallico from Broadcast Gamer.
Netherfiend on XBOX Live and PSN.
Unicron and other voices on My Little Transformer.
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

hahahahahahaha

Don't ever touch the xn messages destroyed multisegment enemies leave behind, they'll kill you.
so long and tanks for all the spacefish
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays
KNTain

Post by KNTain »

Tain - lets destroy STGT07 - 3,573,860 - 1-4 - MAME

At least it isn't Viper Phase One, I guess.
P_HAT

Post by P_HAT »

KNTain wrote: At least it isn't Viper Phase One, I guess.
VP1 was much better.
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

Apparently just faster bullets makes 2-7 much more intolerable.

Twiddle - Turbo Team - 17,344,480 - 2-7 - MAME
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
stanski

Post by stanski »

stanski - Team SDA - 14,747,300 - 2-4 - MAME

edited for stage.
Davey

Post by Davey »

moozooh wrote:
Fu wrote:
Macaw wrote:What on earth is the logic here. If the poll lists Omega Fighter Special then you would expect we would be playing the game normally without turning the retarded special mode on. The 'Special' in the game title and the 'special' in the service menu are different things.
Yes, but maybe the only way to play Omega Fighter Special is to switch to Special by the service mode. I'm also not for playing with this mode, and would like wait after DJ Incompetent for a clarification.
But he made it quite clear in the first post already, didn't he?
DJ Incompetent wrote:-Difficulty: Special (ensure "Special" is under the title logo. Access this by going to Test Mode via F2. Select it in the menu.)
Pardon my idiocy, but I'm still not 100% clear. We're supposed to use the ROM set omegafs (as opposed to omegaf) and also go into Test Mode and select "Special"? I've just been playing omegafs with the default settings (I suck, I didn't read DJI's notes - I usually just assume all defaults).

"Special" under the title logo just means you're playing omegafs. Choosing "Special" from Test Mode in omegaf doesn't add "Special" to the title screen. That makes DJI's note kind of misleading (to me, anyway).

Anyway, I just tried omegafs in Special mode, now it's giving out red bombs and extends like candy. Is this how Special mode is supposed to be, or am I selecting the wrong thing?
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

You're selecting the right mode.
unban shw
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

Davey wrote: Anyway, I just tried omegafs in Special mode, now it's giving out red bombs and extends like candy. Is this how Special mode is supposed to be, or am I selecting the wrong thing?
Thats the right thing.
Do your best!

I don't think I'll get a score up this week :cry:
It is only Wednsday and I am wore out and will be working late on Saturday as well. I would still like to play some Halo 3 too. I have not played any games beyond Lumines this whole week -- that and hang out on message boards :? By the time Sunday comes all I'll want to do is relax.
(this message comes from, yup work :roll: )
Davey

Post by Davey »

Fantastic. Moral of the story: read the damn directions.

I only played one half-assed run in Special, but this seems like it will totally change the game.
shoe-sama
Banned User

Post by shoe-sama »

WTF IS GOING ON
<Sidwell> TSS is manlier than a jet figher made of biceps.
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Ha, I get to see the Cleveland Indians kick NY Yankee but tomorrow. In person. My score will suffer for taking another night off, but it's a worthy sacrifice.
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

professor ganson wrote:Ha, I get to see the Cleveland Indians kick NY Yankee but tomorrow. In person. My score will suffer for taking another night off, but it's a worthy sacrifice.
Go Tribe!
Yankee's suc
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

I hate this fucking game...

The Coop - Old Schoolers - 10,846,580 - Stage 2-4 (MAME)

Why isn't this image from the name entry screen? Because that's where it froze. I'm sick, I figured I'd give it a whirl, and it does this to me :(
Davey

Post by Davey »

Davey wrote:I only played one half-assed run in Special, but this seems like it will totally change the game.
Um, yeah.

Davey - Great Lakes Avengers - 6,084,230 - 1-6 - MAME

And that wasn't even a great run or anything.

EDIT:
Also, I could have saved myself some time by reading sik's post a couple pages back. You'd think I'd learn by now.
Last edited by Davey on Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikwuyma

Post by mikwuyma »

mikwuyma - Team SDA - 7,511,620 - 1-7 - MAME

Now that we figured out the scoring system this game isn't like ebola anymore, it's more like the flu.

Also, if you think stage 6 is bad, stage 7 is much much worse.

Macaw

Post by Macaw »

Fu wrote:Yes, but maybe the only way to play Omega Fighter Special is to switch to Special by the service mode.
No, the special mode is in the original Omega Fighter as well. Like Twiddle said before, the difference between the game seems to be that you keep bombs attached if you die.
Ayanami

Post by Ayanami »

Ayanami - Great Lakes Avengers - 6,696,760 - 1-6 - MAME

Big thanks to sik for the info. I was playing under full defaults as well.

Stage 1-6 can suck my balls.
sikraiken

Post by sikraiken »

Ayanami wrote:Ayanami - Great Lakes Avengers - 6,696,760 - 1-6 - MAME

Big thanks to sik for the info. I was playing under full defaults as well.

Stage 1-6 can suck my balls.
No need to thank me. This information should have been available to everyone from the start. : )

Good luck everyone this week.
joystickchris

Post by joystickchris »

eh, don't really like this one

joystickchris - Team Fremont - 2,394,330 - 1-3 - MAME

DJ Incompetent

Post by DJ Incompetent »

Yeah, there are 4 versions of Omega Fighter:
1. Omega Fighter rom (lose pods on death) - defaults (slow top bar, no giant bonus) = Omega Fighter
2. Omega Fighter rom (lose pods on death) - Special Mode (quick top bar; candy 1ups/bombs, 1,000,000 bonus) = Omega Fighter Special Mode (Omega Fighter SM) or (OFSM)
3. Omega Fighter Special rom (keep pods on death, "less random", infinity) - defaults (slow top bar, no giant bonus) = Omega Fighter Special Rom (Omega Fighter SR) or (OFSR)
4. Omega Fighter Special rom (keep pods on death, "less random", infinity) - Special Mode (quick top bar; candy 1ups/bombs, 1,000,000 bonus) = Omega Fighter Special Rom Special Mode (Omega Fighter SRSM) or (OFSRSM)

= currently playing

This has not happened to me after the first time I booted the game, but the word "Special" in the Title Screen of the Omega Fighter Special rom did not appear until I first selected Special Mode in the test menu. It has remained whenever I booted the rom ever since. This is what initially clued me off about what officially was regarded as the special version. I did not think much of it at the time as I was not dreaming anything in the world that a company would be so stupid as to have two completely different definitions of the word "special" in the same damn game. It could be argued that I just clicked the wrong game at-first, but the mental note I made as Omega Fighter SR was open with no "Special" written in the title was all done without exiting the game and later noticed the "Special" in the title after a playthrough.

With that all said, my interpretation of the forum demand/request of this game selection would be that adding "Special" to an existing game title indicates the most noticeable and gameplay-changing dynamic be used. In this case, I assumed the dramatic change to the 10x bar modifies the game completely over "less random ___" and pod keeping after death. When I found the Special Mode had to be activated every time, I too thought the "Special" in the title meant that Special Mode was available....later to be discovered inaccurate.

I maintain that I could reasonably assume intuitively that Special Mode was most what was being referred to when Omega Fighter Special was mentioned in the Week Themes Thread at the time the shortlist and scoring threads were made.

I'm going to change the notation of the game title and some of the 1st post detail to reflect what I explained up-top. I request for all future discussion of this game, new hiscore boards, and strategy threads alike refer to Omega Fighter in the following notations or similar to the additional listing explained:

1. Omega Fighter
2. Omega Fighter SM
3. Omega Fighter SR
4. Omega Fighter SRSM

'cause confusion sucks, man.

From what I can see, all other scoring systems in the game still function. But like capturing a Darius Captain, you'll just have to do this last-enemy-kamikaze too.....-and there's that whole new "risk" element when starting a new stage at lv 1 shooting. Also, this isn't the first STGT game where suiciding was encouraged.

Still, I know what you mean...

Conclusion: no matter how promising the 80s looked, they were still terrible.

Also, scoreboard is updated :)
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

You forgot to read this page for scores.

Nonetheless, despite how uneven the scoring trick in Special Mode is, I think most people are going to find this more fun than the default.

(personally I like the default mode better, this one is just dependent on whether you die at the famous chokepoints)
unban shw
DJ Incompetent

Post by DJ Incompetent »

Plot Twist #8603

Bloodflowers has intent to shut down this place for the server relocation around Saturday. While it is reasonably assured the forum won't be down for very long, I'm going to make a quick rule as insurance.

If come Monday 11:00am GMT (ya hear that _Bnu? eleven :wink:) I cannot access the forum after attempts from multiple machines &/or #shmups provides enough indication a widespread number of users can't get online, I will assume the forum will be down and the scoring week deadline will be extended 1 DAY to Tuesday 11:00am GMT. Upon the same failed daily verifications, the deadline will continue to extend a full 24 hours until the forums are back up to the point when I check in at 11:00am I can announce the scoring session closed.

Now, just in case this little rule of mine backfires if I do somethin' fuckin' retarded like sleep-in and flat-out miss the deadline announcement, can I request two volunteers (or the committee) to be on here about a half-hour after (each) deadline and both people post the announcement that scoring has ended anytime between 11:30am GMT and 11:59am GMT. Please post your willingness to help before committing to this.
Thanks in advance.
crithit5000

Post by crithit5000 »

Okay, now that I understand how this pile works...

crithit5000 - letsdestroy stgt07 - 6,754,250 - 1-6 - MAME
now tighter than your sister
shoe-sama
Banned User

Post by shoe-sama »

shoe-sama - Team Downrank - 3,035,340 - 1-3 - MAME
<Sidwell> TSS is manlier than a jet figher made of biceps.
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

Revenge you sumbitch of a game!

The Coop - Old Schoolers - 13,202,140 - Stage 2-6 (MAME)

The damn thing got locked into some weird loop a few games before I got this score. The robot with all the small lasers (stage 7 if I recall) was destroyed after I picked off all the lasers, but the game just sat there with the background moving in a slow circle like I was still fighting the boss. It never stopped, and screwed me out of another good run up to that point.
ED-057

Post by ED-057 »

haha I scored 500K points on scene 6 with my kamikaze tactics.
ED-057 - Oldschoolers - 7,126,760 - 1-6

Playing through the first five with extraneous 1up's floating around, only to then be faced with the "one life syndrome..." :?
ED-057

Post by ED-057 »

lol, this game is cursed. Hope you're feeling better Coop