STGT2k7- Week#3 Darius Gaiden

shoe-sama
Banned User

Post by shoe-sama »

OSHIT RAT GUILLOTINE
<Sidwell> TSS is manlier than a jet figher made of biceps.
Ayanami

Post by Ayanami »

Ayanami - Great Lakes Avengers - 3,472,300 - ABEHLQV - Saturn
ED-057

Post by ED-057 »

ED-057 - Oldschoolers - 2,944,830 - ABDHLQV - MAME

oops, missed the 1ups and got killed by the lasers that are fired up and turn 90 degrees
ED-057

Post by ED-057 »

Davey wrote:For example, the i686 command line MAME can run this game at 170-180% on my computer, whereas it runs at only 70-75% with MAME32Plus (and the fact that it defaults to "Draw Every Frame" instead of autoskipping bothers me, especially in a tournament setting, since it actually slows down the game instead of making it choppy).
Press F8 during the game to cycle through frameskip settings. Under mame32/plus one might also try setting 320x240, no hardware stretch, and triple buffering to get better speed.
shoe-sama
Banned User

Post by shoe-sama »

use wolfmame
joystickchris

Post by joystickchris »

Davey wrote:A tip for those having performance problems [insert penis jokes here [insert "insert penis" jokes here]]:

I normally use the command line MAME because a lot of the GUIs aren't optimized. However, you'll want autofire for this game, so using MAME32Plus is more or less a must. However, the official (I think) MAME32Plus builds aren't optimized, so they run like shit. For example, the i686 command line MAME can run this game at 170-180% on my computer, whereas it runs at only 70-75% with MAME32Plus (and the fact that it defaults to "Draw Every Frame" instead of autoskipping bothers me, especially in a tournament setting, since it actually slows down the game instead of making it choppy).

Anyhoo, the first Google match for "mame32plus optimized" is this page, which has optimized builds. Now the game runs smooth for me, autofire and all. Or maybe there's official optimized MAME32Plus builds, but I'm too lazy to look.
Which one would be optimized for a core 2 duo? I'm rollin on mame32 0.114u1 and it seems smooth to me. No autofire, but I have my hrap for that..

joystick chris - team fremont - 2,196,310 - ACFJO - MAME

In case I can't get back to it the rest of the week.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Dave_K. - California Dudez - 2,611,110 - ABDHLQ - Mame
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

BrianC - Oldschoolers - 1,085,450 ABDG - PS2

Stuck with PS2 TL2 version for now, but I plan to get the Saturn one soon, especially since I'm not stuck with RF for it any more.
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

Slight improvement...

The Coop - Old Schoolers - 9,211,940 - ABEIMSY - Saturn
sikraiken

Post by sikraiken »

Ah, games where you can nearly double your score from the 2nd last stage to the last stage, and then AGAIN after bonuses is always a good game in my book. : )
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

A huge end bonus wouldn't be a problem if...

the game had a balanced difficulty progression in the first place
so long and tanks for all the spacefish
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Herr Schatten - Old Schoolers - 2,309,000 - ABDGK - MAME

Crappiest game ever.
javel

Post by javel »

Javel - Team Sweden - 8,253,140 - ABDHLQV (ALL)
DEL

!

Post by DEL »

Turns out I've never played this game before. I had it confused with G Darius.
I've discovered that I have it on my XBOX Mame (lost my dips access on it, so no autofire), but should it run like crap :?: Its choppy as hell. I knew beforehand that stepping down from Border Down to this would be like walking into sludge, but its gotta be my XBOX Mame version that's to blame.....hasn't it?
Herr Schatten

Re: !

Post by Herr Schatten »

DEL wrote:I knew beforehand that stepping down from Border Down to this would be like walking into sludge, but its gotta be my XBOX Mame version that's to blame.....hasn't it?
No, it's G Darius that's somewhat akin to Border Down. Darius Gaiden ist more like the old boring Dariuses.
szycag

Post by szycag »

I did all the stuff you guys said running in Wolfmame .99 and Darius still runs like dicks. Works great in Raine but has weird control problems where sometimes it won't pick up the direction I'm pressing in. My computer hates playing any Taito game in MAME. I hate it.

Anyways I've got the PS1 version but it doesn't have any autofire option that I can find. I'm borrowing an autofire controller from my friend hopefully tomorrow. In the meantime I'm just gonna play it the non-chump way.

Will the Taito Legends 2 version let me use auto 1?
That is Galactic Dancing
gavin19

Re: !

Post by gavin19 »

DEL wrote:Turns out I've never played this game before. I had it confused with G Darius.
I've discovered that I have it on my XBOX Mame (lost my dips access on it, so no autofire), but should it run like crap :?: Its choppy as hell. I knew beforehand that stepping down from Border Down to this would be like walking into sludge, but its gotta be my XBOX Mame version that's to blame.....hasn't it?
I'm running the latest build of MameOx128 Plus which has in-built autofire and a few other things borrowed from Mame32 Plus but it's not Mame, it's the Xbox itself. It just can't cope with those PSX-based taitofx games like DG, Gradius Gaiden, Salamander 2 etc etc. Comparing it to the Taito Legends version it runs about 70% or so, plus its not just slow as you know, it's choppy too, and the music struggles as well. It's just not a viable option for me.
szycag wrote:Will the Taito Legends 2 version let me use auto 1?
The Legends version has it's own slow autofire which isn't a patch on auto1, and it can't be changed either, just have to button mash.
Did you try one of the optimised builds of Mame32 Plus?
a.k.a - G19
zakk

Post by zakk »

Zakk - Drink and Fly - 2,923,400 - ABDGLR
DEL

!

Post by DEL »

gavin19 wrote;
I'm running the latest build of MameOx128 Plus which has in-built autofire and a few other things borrowed from Mame32 Plus but it's not Mame, it's the Xbox itself. It just can't cope with those PSX-based taitofx games like DG, Gradius Gaiden, Salamander 2 etc etc. Comparing it to the Taito Legends version it runs about 70% or so, plus its not just slow as you know, it's choppy too, and the music struggles as well. It's just not a viable option for me.
szycag wrote:
Will the Taito Legends 2 version let me use auto 1?
The Legends version has it's own slow autofire which isn't a patch on auto1, and it can't be changed either, just have to button mash.
Did you try one of the optimised builds of Mame32 Plus?
Many thanks Gavin, so its my XBOX that hates the game.
Its unplayable as is, so I'll bug Icarus to help me out with a PC Mame that works.

Cheers :D ,

DEL
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

I am playing it on the PS2 with hardware auto-fire. Is this ok?

Those 8 mil + scores are from a allclear? It seems it's easier to 1-life this game than to actually die midway then recover to finish it..

Does you get an ending bonus just for finishing the game, or is it only worth if you actually have lives left? I can't get both extra lives every time yet... (And still haven't finished the game, but by the looks of it, I doubt it will be standing still after the end of the week :D)
Edge

Post by Edge »

If there still are still some confused. The PC version of this game is ok to use as well.
crithit5000

Post by crithit5000 »

crithit5000 - lets destroy stgt07 - 3,338,200 - ACFINTZ - MAME
now tighter than your sister
Fu

Post by Fu »

Shatterhand wrote:Does you get an ending bonus just for finishing the game, or is it only worth if you actually have lives left? I can't get both extra lives every time yet... (And still haven't finished the game, but by the looks of it, I doubt it will be standing still after the end of the week :D)
You have bonus points for every lifes and bombs remain, and for the captains catched.
firestorm

Post by firestorm »

STG - namakoteam - 3,779,500 - ABEINSY
SleepersEye

Post by SleepersEye »

SleepersEye - Team SDA - 2,094,800 - ABDHL - MAME

Starting to believe I can get that 1CC.
Infintium

Post by Infintium »

Infintium - The Underdogs - 4,889,780 - ABDGKPV (ALL) - MAME

Yay! My first arcade shmup 1CC!
Last edited by Infintium on Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
freddiebamboo

Post by freddiebamboo »

freddiebamboo - namakoteam - 4,724,000 - ABDGLQV ALL
shoe-sama
Banned User

Post by shoe-sama »

I love how this game is so easy. :D

Don't have to do anything the rest of the week rofl.

shoe-sama - Team Downrank - 9,024,490 - ABDGLQV ALL - (MAME)
Fu

Post by Fu »

Wow shoe-sama you're quiet for the rest of the week.
gavin19

Post by gavin19 »

Infintium wrote:Infintium - The Underdogs - 4,889,780 - ABDGKPV (ALL) - MAME

Yay! My first arcade shmup 1CC!
Congrats. I'm gona have to start playing this one properly. That brings the Underdogs 1CC total to an overwhelming 2. Not too bad for a bunch of em, ... underdogs.
a.k.a - G19