Battle Garegga

Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Sorry Sven, i even lack the Saturn right now (it's in Italy and i'm in The Netherlands right now).Still, i'm eager to start any discussions on it, of course :wink:
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
sven666

Post by sven666 »

i just had to post this score \m/

[img]http://files2.helgon.net/Gallery/{9C1/{ ... FEEBE}.jpg[/img]

actually got a score of 2,7 mil after the birds one run, rank shot thru the roof and i was dead at the end of stage 4 (braveley chasing medals i dashed into a shot) with a neat score of 5.5mil.. potential!
sven666

Post by sven666 »

ahh nevermind.. new high 6.901.470 stage 6
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

sven666 wrote:...nobody else is playing this? :cry:
I would be but Bakraid has got my time all tied up :P
And I need to finish writing up stage 4 of the ST guide. *runs off to do some work*
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Hm? What's that? It's time for me to contribute my embarassing score and claim my usual spot at the bottom of the score board? *looks at watch* Why yes, I believe you're right:

BulletMagnet - 1,503,810 - Stage 4 - Dgr October

Well, for a "the heck with rank" run it's passable for me anyways, heh.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Improved a little...

BulletMagnet - 1,849,890 - Stage 4 - Golden Bat
Guardians Knight

Post by Guardians Knight »

^^ dude you should have that at the beginning of stage 2 at the latest.

do you know about bombing the hill on the left handside at the start of stage 2 where all the flamingos fly out? If not then do that. Also use your bombs on them cos the more you hit them with powerful shot the faster your points go up. It is best to keep all your bombs for this point so dont under any circumstances other than imminent death use a bomb on stage 1.

i think there is a very good discussion in the strat section that will help you immensly.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

I'm not really good enough to use up my bombs much unless I'm about to be splatted...sometimes I'll do the flamingo thing, but at this point I'm most concerned with getting farther. I try to score with medaling, etc., but as far as bombs go I'm not skilled enough at this game yet to use them much for score. Heck, at this point I tend to get a good ways farther when I ignore the rank and collect/blast everything, as opposed to when I try to limit myself...I don't "get it" yet, but I'm trying.
Guardians Knight

Post by Guardians Knight »

ok no probs mate it does take a little while to get into. A little tip to make things easier would be to use the wild snail fast version means you get a fast and powerful plane - its also got the best bomb for dealing with those flamingos if you want to give it a try :-)
alpha5099

Post by alpha5099 »

alpha5099 - 3,135,460 - Stage 4 - Golden Bat

Not a great score, but I was playing with a complete disregard for rank management. The game is actually enjoyable that way.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Vorpal - 6,214,310 - Stage 6 - Gain - November 4th, 2003
Playback demo available. I use the default Mame settings (extend at 2 million)

Question regarding the Mame version of this game though... for some reason the water + tank infested stage (supposed to be stage 4) comes after the cloud stage (supposed to be stage 5). Does this affect the validity of my game? If so, how can I fix this problem...!?
Smraedis

Post by Smraedis »

Vorpal wrote:Question regarding the Mame version of this game though... for some reason the water + tank infested stage (supposed to be stage 4) comes after the cloud stage (supposed to be stage 5). Does this affect the validity of my game? If so, how can I fix this problem...!?
If you play on the battlega romset and change the location to Japan in the dips, it should play the stages in the right order.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Cool, thanks that did the trick. However now every time the game checks the ram, it fails the text ram check the first time around... any idea what could cause that?
Smraedis

Post by Smraedis »

I'm getting that too now, I don't know why really.
Arcatech

Post by Arcatech »

AFXisatwin - 5,822,930 - stage 6 - Chitta

I've never seen anyone use this character for score before. It's harder to get the 1-up on stage 3 with her, but a fun challenge none the less.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Congratulations on the Chitta score, as it's clearly the less powerful and more difficult plane to handle, hence the lack of players around :wink: Just to give you an idea, the top score should be about 14M (with chitta i mean), which is roughly 11,5M without any form of milking...in short, you're doing very well :wink:
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Am I right in thinking that Chitta can use the bomb exploit trick on Black Heart Mk2 that Bornnam and Gain players use? Her Weapon "Jinn the Mountain" acts like the area blasts that are common to those two characters in particular.
sven666

Post by sven666 »

randorama> hows bout updating the scores?

finally broke 7mil btw..

sven666 | 7.050.120 | 6 | Iron Macerel | Saturn
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Randorama: Sorry I think that you should remove my Stage 6 Gain score. After getting the japan version rom (odd that it isn't the main rom) I think it is different enough to invalidate that score. #1 the bullets are much harder to see/dodge in the japan version, and #2 the stage 4/5 switch means that the player will have far less rank for the Blackheart, which results in him being quite easy.

AFXisatwin: Wow nice score with such a difficult ship. I can't stand the way Chitta's options seek, they never hit what I want them to. I'd need to develop entirely new strategies purely for Chitta.

Icarus: Not sure what you mean by the bomb exploit trick, but I'm guessing you mean; having multiple active at one time? If so, I went and tried just that on the flamingos, and it worked... sortof. There is a longer delay between bomb blasts than Gain's, but it's short enough that you can have 2 Jinn's out for maybe 1.5 seconds. I'll try and go back and get a more accurate time window...

Sven666: Nice!!! I've also been using Iron Mackerel lately, but I can't get a score near 7 million yet. I can count the number of times I have been to Stage 6 on one hand, and only once have I been past the "wall of cannons" (today actually heh). In that game I made 5 million without breaking my medal chain... the fact that you made 2 million more than me with the same ship and on the same level amazes me, that must have been an awesome game!

Anyhow, my current high score is that one I got this morning with Iron Mackerel. SOOoooo:

Vorpal - 5,122,730 - Stage 6 - Iron Mackerel

Used mame .096b with the Feb 3 1996 (japan version) build of BG. I actually made a .avi of it, however it clocked in at around 200 megs (140 without sound) so I don't think I'll be finding a host for that thing anytime soon ;p
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

By the way... has anyone here even BEAT this freaking game? I haven't even come close, and I remember downloading this really large movie from fileplanet (in other words VERY SLOWLY), supposed to be of a "professional" player, and even he got creamed on Stage 6 (or was it 7...).
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I remember on the old board Rando had an "All Clear" score, but in this topic his best is nowhere near it. :?:
cigsthecat

Post by cigsthecat »

After changing to the new forum he didn't post any of his old scores.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Vorpal wrote:Icarus: Not sure what you mean by the bomb exploit trick, but I'm guessing you mean; having multiple active at one time? If so, I went and tried just that on the flamingos, and it worked... sortof. There is a longer delay between bomb blasts than Gain's, but it's short enough that you can have 2 Jinn's out for maybe 1.5 seconds. I'll try and go back and get a more accurate time window...
The bomb exploit trick is only applicable against Black Heart Mk2 on stage 7. BHMk2 has an attack that sends out a shower of mines that can be destroyed for points (you'll know the one I mean when you encounter it).

Gain, Bornnam and possibly Chitta can exploit this by using a powerful Weapon attack (at least 20 small fragments) to completely cover BHMk2, which in effect destroys every mine that the boss throws out. This also has the extra effect of forcing BHMk2 to fire the mines at a faster rate, giving you even more points.

With this exploit, these ships can get up to 500k in points for every Weapon attack they use against this mine shower. Master Gain players actually exploit rank by hoarding lives and Weapons starting from stage 6, to use in this manner - the increased rank means that this attack will become more ferocious, meaning more points. The most points I've seen coming from this exploit was by T3-KAMUI on the Garegga DVD, for over 3mil extra points.

I've done the exploit with Bornnam before, which is slightly easier as his Weapon covers a wider area. It's a shame that the credit I did it on was so heinously bad :P
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

"It's a shame that the credit I did it on was so heinously bad" Heh heh, sure sure.

/me pretends to know what Blackheart Mark 2 is about. (TWO WTFRUKIDDINGMELOLLER?!)

I have just killed Blackheart Mark 1 without dying for the first time (at least in a recorded session). Methinks I have a ways to go :(

Thus: http://webpages.charter.net/bgspencer/blackheart.avi
sven666

Post by sven666 »

heh i was so stoked on my 7mil run that i died on the first wave of enemies on stage 6 :P typical..

totally crap at that stage, i also cant do the 1mil trick on boss 2.. i just cant get it to work.. i am a real devil at collecting them medals tho, i can nearly grab all the medals at the end of stage 4 now.. tho its hard as hell and requires atleast 2 bombs..
charliechong

Post by charliechong »

i got a new score on this on my saturn at home that was better than my old one on the other board. It was the first time i ever got past the level 5 boss so ill dig that shit out when i get home

actually i remember playing that last go BALLS OUT. i was collecting every power up firing off shots willy nilly and not giving a shit about upsetting the ranking system and i did the best i'd ever done!. I'm not too good on any of the boss point leaching techniques though so my high score probably wont be that good for level 6
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Vorpal: ok, thanks for the honesty too.Hope to see your scores improve soon!

Sven and everyone else: sorry, i have problems uploading scores during week-end, you can be sure that by the next Monday it's up though.
Also, i would really appreciate if someone can retrieve my old score, it should be a D+ sc0re (i.e.13+M) but i'm not at home and i also doubt that i've saved it.

About the Chitta bomb: nice question, but i suspect that Jinn isn't circular in shape, so there must be some problem in trying to exploit it for specific purposes. Anyone care to investigate *looks at Icarus :wink: *
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Plasmo - 6,476,020 - Stage 6 - Iron Mackerel
This was my first time that i beat these Stage 5 bosses.Some huge laser beam eliminated me in Stage 6.What a great game!

stupid question: are there any other in game superplays than the iron mackerel one?If yes , how can i unlock them.thx.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

If you select the Superplay option with P1 side, the replay will be the Iron Mackerel (Player: USI). By selecting Superplay with P2 instead, the replay will be Bornnam (Player: WAT).
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Is using the "small hitbox" option legal for this thread (I left everything else default, including the "red ball" option; truth be told I didn't find it all that helpful anyways)? I just got the Saturn version of this and improved my score some when I had that enabled...IIRC some of the planes have a smaller hitbox anyway. If it's not legal that's fine, but if it is, here's my new score...

BulletMagnet - 3,148,440 - Stage 5 - Rust Champion

To the side, I'm quite pleased so far with the Saturn port thus far...the thing that surprised me most about it is that it keeps separate high score tables for different difficulties. This makes it much easier for me to track my progress as I practice and move up little by little.