Battle Garegga

shiftace

Post by shiftace »

shiftace - 2,279,420 - Stage 4 - Flying Baron

Starting to get the hang of this. I'd be playing right now (Mame), but the computer froze after that run so I'm calling it a night.
"Can they really get inside my head?"
"As long as you keep an open mind."
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

I am very out of practice...

Icarus - 8,317,290 - Stage 6 - Bornnam [ABC]

It's been a very long time since I last played Garegga seriously, but all this talk of Ibara and Garegga lately has got me in the mood for another go.

Had a good run all the way up to the turret wall in stage 6, didn't drop my Medals at any point. Wisely ignored the very difficult medal rails at the stage 4 boss to maintain the scoring run, as well as just blasting past Nose Lavagghin2 and Mad Ball2 in stage 5 - played for survival after dying stupidly at the flying platforms earlier in the stage. Eventually died before the first big laser cannon in stage 6, after getting trapped by the turret wall and losing my spare Extend.

I actually find it easier to score with Bornnam than I do with Wild Snail now, when a long time ago it was the other way around. Besides the birds in stage 2 and the medal rails in stage 4, Bornnam can score just as much as the Snail, if not more, per stage. Need to rework some strategies to accomodate the weaker Weapon though.

I'm going to wrap up on Raiden DX first before I commit lots of time to getting reacquainted with this fantastic game ;)
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

EDIT: Table moved to first post. :)
Last edited by BulletMagnet on Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

BulletMagnet wrote:Yeah, but I still think it's more interesting to call 'em different stuff...I mean, the regular ol' planes get cool alternate names along with the different paint jobs, why not the Mahou gang? ;)
Eh, seems kinda weird and confusing to just make up your own names for the characters but hey, if you can't beat 'em join 'em. Can I just call Miyamoto [C] "Radical Dragon Dude From Hell" because that sounds sweet and awesome.

Anyway, I'd like to second the idea of separate score tables. Sounds like a good idea. I'm itching to submit some scores but I don't have my Saturn hooked up. Gotta wait until I convert my Hong Kong PCB to the Japan revision. Actually though, playing the Hong Kong rev for a while is a good way to practice survival because there are no extends.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Rastan78 wrote:Eh, seems kinda weird and confusing to just make up your own names for the characters but hey, if you can't beat 'em join 'em. Can I just call Miyamoto [C] "Radical Dragon Dude From Hell" because that sounds sweet and awesome.
Go for it, I say! :mrgreen: Maybe we can make up other such alternate names for the Mahou gang, like "Funky Monkey" for Gain, "Blaster Babe" for Chitta, "Dead Head" for Bornam...

But in all honesty I suspect (although it's just a guess) that the characters' ships/weapons/etc. were actually intended to refer to their different forms...after all, for the main planes they only list their different bombs on the select screen (as opposed to their speed, basic bullet formations, etc.), it'd seem kinda weird to provide a full run-down of all the equipment for the Mahou gang but not them. But in any case I'll let Rando decide on the nomenclature whenever he sees this and edit as he sees fit.
Actually though, playing the Hong Kong rev for a while is a good way to practice survival because there are no extends.
Rank control must be almost impossible on that kinda setting, even if you don't suicide on purpose.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

BulletMagnet wrote:Rank control must be almost impossible on that kinda setting, even if you don't suicide on purpose.
I'm thinking they adjusted the rank to keep it balanced and clearable even without extends, but I'm not experienced enough to tell for sure. It would make sense for them to have lessened the emphasis on suiciding and rank control for revisions that would be played outside of Japan where knowledge about the game's system might be more limited.

It really limits the scoring though because there are just so many things you can't do well without suiciding and extends.

Um, I was just joking about the radical samurai dude thing.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Rastan78 wrote:Um, I was just joking about the radical samurai dude thing.
I wasn't. :mrgreen: In fact, I've come up with a few more unofficial alternate names for the Mahou gang's different ship types since my last visit. A shiny 100-point medal to anyone who can identify the horrible puns in some of them:

Gain: Shmuppin' Arms, Beatitude-4

Chitta: TwitchCraft, TwitchHunt, TwitchyWoman, Jinn the Hunt, Jinn the Groove, Guidallf the Grey

Miyamoto: Lizard of Oz, Ronin Reptile, Bushidosaurus Rex, Sakitumi

Bornam: Zoombie, Bone to Pick, R8Zing the Dead, Flight of the Living Dead

My friend, you have created (or at least enabled) a monster. :mrgreen:
rtw

Post by rtw »

Vorpal wrote:Cool, thanks that did the trick. However now every time the game checks the ram, it fails the text ram check the first time around... any idea what could cause that?
There is a bug in MAME but have no fear it can be solved :)

Get the your favourite MAME build and start up "battlega"

If you leave it you will get "TEXT RAM BAD" however look at the counter,
just as it approaches address $0a00 move the controller right and keep
it there. The test will pass and everything is good.

rtw
http://world-of-arcades.net
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

gameoverDude - 4,800,590 - Stage 5 - Golden Bat
Kinect? KIN NOT.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Nice and ordered table added and exploited, thanks BM :wink:

For the rest:nice to see you're back on Garegga, Icarus, i may be tempted to play it again in the future...not before August, though, i have to go back to Italy and retrieve my Saturn :?
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Glad it works for you. Here's a small improvement...

BulletMagnet - 2,916,150 - Stage 5 - Masamune

Also, here's my old Rust Bucket score if you want to throw that on the Wild Snail pile.

BulletMagnet - 4,492,340 - Stage 5 - Rust Champion
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

COWBOY-NOA - 9,735,200 - Stage ALL - Iron Mackerel
COMPLETED!
:D :D :D
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Plasmo wrote:COWBOY-NOA - 9,735,200 - Stage ALL - Iron Mackerel
COMPLETED!
:D :D :D
Congrats Plasmo! Exhilirating, isn't it? You're just a shade off 10mil though...
... go for a higher score! :D
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Congratulations on your result Plasmo, now you've officially entered a higher state of shmupping skill :wink:

I'm tempted to post my old score, though...as a stimulus to keep going

:wink:
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Oh yeah plz post your old score.
I have to choose now:
1.Go on with Garegga getting at least 12mill
2.Starting Batsugun special version
:?: :oops: :?:
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Ah, saw your new nick...what do you prefer, Plasmo or Cowboy-Noa?

Btw, i suggest: both, after all Batsugun special edition is easy :wink:
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

I like chocolate milk

Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Can some of the pros plz post their highscores here? (rando, icarus, etc...)
I like chocolate milk

Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Plasmo wrote:Can some of the pros plz post their highscores here? (rando, icarus, etc...)
My old highscore died with my Saturn battery (12mil+ - Reinforcer) but I'm working on getting back up to scratch with Bornnam [ABC]. Been a while since I last played seriously though :?

Soon.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Plasmo wrote:Can some of the pros plz post their highscores here? (rando, icarus, etc...)
Sure, i hope you can find it a stimulus to improve your score :wink:
zinger

Post by zinger »

zinger - 4,079,330 - stage 4 - battle valhalyzer
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Cowboy-NOA - A,324,750 - Stage ALL - Iron Mackerel

After dying on Glow Squids last form (imo harder than black heart mk2 now) with 9,9million twice i got this score.Ive completed the game with one life in stock lol...
With my current strategies im not able to score higher than A,5xx,xxx.I have to learn some new things now like getting over 2,1million after the flamingoes , killing the stage 2 boss properly or get all the medal rails.
I like chocolate milk

Randorama

Post by Randorama »

the flamingoes and the second boss are the best target, you should actually get about 2M on that zone alone, dunno how much you miss on the boss (i suppose the points for the arms, when they unfold). What else you know that you do in an improvable way? I suppose the stage 5 boss rush...
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

youre right.I dont know how many points i lose in the stage 5 boss rush but i dont have enough extends for mad ball and i still dont understand how the strat works.And im not confident enough to use all my weapons on the big ship because i need them for "the wall" in stage 6.
I like chocolate milk

Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Well then, we're officially waiting for you on the ST thread, ok? :wink:
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Goddamnit, I'm having serious trouble getting off stage 6. Although my score up to the start of st6 isn't too bad with Bornnam, 8.5mil on averages. The major problem areas are Medal rails on st4 (I can only go for one or two with this really awkward to use Weapon), and taking out Mad Ball2 in the correct manner for about 1mil extra...
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Icarus wrote:Goddamnit, I'm having serious trouble getting off stage 6. Although my score up to the start of st6 isn't too bad with Bornnam, 8.5mil on averages. The major problem areas are Medal rails on st4 (I can only go for one or two with this really awkward to use Weapon), and taking out Mad Ball2 in the correct manner for about 1mil extra...
Do you need help?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Now i can die happy :lol:
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Randorama wrote:Do you need help?
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
Now i can die happy :lol:
Cheeky git ;)
You know me though. I'm not that good (compared to your skillful self), and I'm always game for a little help ;)

Actually, I don't think I'm doing all that badly for about 10 days of solid practice. Just had a run which ended at Nose Lavagghin2, finished with 7.2mil (and beat Satanic Surfer with 6.1mil, so I'm not that far off the pace). With proper execution of the Mad Ball2 tech, and maybe a bit more play in stage 6, probably looking at around 9.5mil after Black Heart, and 11mil by the start of stage 7.

I'll rememebr not to pick up maximum Shot when I start the Nose Lavagghin2 battle :P That five-way Shot is a pain in the arse, seems to have a slower rapid speed to the double three-way, regardless of Shot frequency.

Back to practice.
Last edited by Icarus on Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

I'm completely clueless on Bornnam, honestly. One thing though, i'm not sure that your stage 6 is very solid: 1,5M? Only? I'm thinking that the Mahou characters are all in the 2,5M range on that stage, but i don't really recall score distribution...

By the way, i wouldn't implement a few things on Nose Lavgghin2 right now, for instance the propellers' skill shot...Mad Ball2 has more hit points though, not too many but, be careful :wink:
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Thanks for all the "encouragement" Rando ;) After that evil comment, I went back and did even better than before... (but still not good enough)

Icarus - 9,238,950 - Stage 6 - Bornnam [ABC]

Had nearly a carbon copy of the previously commented credit, except I didn't make the same mistake on Nose Lavagghin2 as I did before - I tried to double suicide to get the Weapon bullets for the Weapon attack on Mad Ball2, and misjudged the amount of hitpoints Nose Lavagghin2 had left the last time - but still screwed up the Weapon attack on Mad Ball2. My timing is really off with this kind of Weapon.

Ended the batlle with Black Heart with about 8.8mil, but lost my Medals during the start of the battle - one of the missiles you can destroy for items was offscreen when I destroyed it, and dropped a Medal out of sight - but managed to take the spare Extend and the extra in stage 6 past the fourth large laser cannon, and my credit ended shortly after. If I had made it to Junkey Monkey (what a stupid name for a boss), then I would be looking at around 10.3mil, at a rough estimate.
Randorama wrote:One thing though, i'm not sure that your stage 6 is very solid: 1,5M? Only? I'm thinking that the Mahou characters are all in the 2,5M range on that stage, but i don't really recall score distribution...
It's 2.5mil if your ship isn't equipped with an area blast bomb like Bornnam or Gain, as it enables you to attack the hatches the tanks appear from with Weapon for two extra Medals per hatch. Area blasters like Gain and Bornnam do better to hoard Weapon bullets to use against the raining mines that Black Heart2 uses - Bornnam in particular can get 300,000pts per Weapon used in this manner.
Randorama wrote:By the way, i wouldn't implement a few things on Nose Lavgghin2 right now, for instance the propellers' skill shot...Mad Ball2 has more hit points though, not too many but, be careful.
I can execute the Nose Lavagghin2 strat almost perfectly, but I ignore the central propellor to keep the fan shot the main body fires tamed. You can attack the side propellors from below and still get the maximum amount of points, you only lose points if you destroy them with penetrative bullets, Weapon, or suicide shrapnel.

Mad Ball2 is still a pain in the arse though, I just cannot time my Weapon perfectly enough to get the maximum points from the outer turret ring (800,000pts on estimate).

Thanks for the tips though. God, I love this game. I think I'll go back for a bit more punishment ;)