Battle Garegga

captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

while i can't score well enough to submit, i made great progress last night. my previous best was somewhere near 850000 at stage 3 with no scoring attempts or rank control. yesterday i managed 1.25 mils by the 1st 3rd of stage 2!

i love this game.
I have no sig whatsoever.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Rastan78 - 7,265,120 - Stage 6 - Gain

Rastan78 - 5,692,870 - Stage 6 - Reinforcer

Keep getting to the stage 6 turret wall and then eating it. I think I finally settled in on having the Grasshopper (Reinforcer) as my main ship after messing with Gain for a while. One of my frustrations with Reinforcer is having to get the main shot powered up for the piercing shot by the first boss. I'm inconsistent on this and can't score well off the boss w/o the piercing shot.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Rastan78 wrote:One of my frustrations with Reinforcer is having to get the main shot powered up for the piercing shot by the first boss. I'm inconsistent on this and can't score well off the boss w/o the piercing shot.
IIRC, with the Grasshopper you have to power up two levels to get the piercing shot, right? That means 3 small shot items ought to do it...you might have to shoot more stuff than you normally would when you're trying to control rank a lot or whatnot, but I've never had much trouble powering up twice in level 1 when I need to, myself. Of course, I have trouble with pretty much everything ELSE in this game, but hey. :mrgreen:
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

You have to get up to level four which means powering up 3 times in level one. It can be tough to do consistently at least for me.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Do you hafta go up 3 levels? Hmm, guess I must not be remembering right...I thought you started out with 2 small bullets, upgraded from there to 4 small bullets, and from there to a coupla small bullets and one piercing small bullet...suppose it's been too long since I played last.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

You need to get a large Shot powerup to consistently power up three times in stage 1, and you can get one from the large bomber that appears to the left of the screen after the first set of train rails. To get the large Shot powerup, leave the large bomber alone, and wait for it to pass the second crane in the stage (the one that appears to the left of the screen). Once the bomber passes the crane, quickly destroy it and it will drop a large Shot powerup.

I had a clip of me doing this with Chitta up on ikaruga.co.uk, but their vid section is down from high bandwidth at the moment. I'll try and find alternative means to upload it for you.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Ah, thanks for verifying this, Icarus. I had a suspicion that this was the case as I had seen replays where a player leaves the plane alone and then gets the big shot icon but I wasn't sure since I couldn't always get it to work. So the bomber passing the second crane was the key. :wink:
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Icarus wrote:To get the large Shot powerup, leave the large bomber alone, and wait for it to pass the second crane in the stage (the one that appears to the left of the screen). Once the bomber passes the crane, quickly destroy it and it will drop a large Shot powerup.
This game really is so dang complicated...I guess I'm just thicker than most, but I never woulda thought of just kinda leaving something alive for awhile to see whether it gives up something different at a certain point...guess it was the same kinda thing when I asked about the 1-Up some time back, but I figured that was sort of a special case, heh. Guess not as special as I thought...
Vincere

Post by Vincere »

Guwanger - 6 477 120 - stage 6 - Wild Snail
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Rastan78 wrote:Ah, thanks for verifying this, Icarus. I had a suspicion that this was the case as I had seen replays where a player leaves the plane alone and then gets the big shot icon but I wasn't sure since I couldn't always get it to work. So the bomber passing the second crane was the key. :wink:
Sorry it's a bit late.

Player: Icarus // Stage 1, Big Shot Powerup Demonstration, using Chitta (XVID - 4.4MB)

Thanks to snacky and rjpageuk of ikaruga.co.uk for the hosting assistance.
zaphod

Post by zaphod »

Could you people PLEASE edit the initial post to say hoe to pass the self test if your version of MAME is failing it? (by holding the stick/keyboard arrow up or right during the self test)?
AWJ

Post by AWJ »

On my copy of MAME, you just have to let the selftest run twice. It fails on the first attempt, automatically reboots, and then passes on the second. Holding the stick any direction doesn't seem to make a difference.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

All the talk about Ibara (not to mention that I had to hook up my Saturn to test another game anyway, heh heh) gave me the urge to pull this out for a bit...some marginal improvements...

BulletMagnet - 3,857,050 - Stage 5 - Red Impulse

BulletMagnet - 2,967,990 - Stage 4 - Baster Sword

BulletMagnet - 3,470,570 - Stage 5 - Jinn the Mountain
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Rastan78 - 6,228,600 - Stage 6 - Reinforcer
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Improved on my Wild Snail score...STILL can't pass 5 million though...

BulletMagnet - 4,957,170 - Stage 6 - Golden Bat

The more I play this game, the more convinced I am that it has a vendetta against me...I swear, the enemies don't even aim at me anymore: they aim at the medals, so that when I try to snatch one up to keep my chain going, everything onscreen has unloaded right on that spot. Or even better, as soon as a medal appears and begins to fall, an enemy directly above it fires a shot that moves at the exact same speed as the medal, so it stays right on top of it the whole way down; I'm either forced to miss it or die when I can't see the bullet. And don't even get me started on how many enemies I don't even know I've killed drop medals I can't get to, or how many times I manage to die JUST in time to miss a medal...

Sorry, rant over, heh. Back to work...
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

BulletMagnet wrote:...I swear, the enemies don't even aim at me anymore: they aim at the medals, so that when I try to snatch one up to keep my chain going... (snip)
Something like Fire Shark and Raiden, with the enemies that aim at items, eh? ^_-
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Heh, in truth I haven't played either of those games enough to know, but I'll take your word for it. ;)
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Rastan78 - 6,552,730 - Stage 6 - Miyamoto [C]

I keep getting oh so close to level seven. I know I can beat Junkey Monkey (sounds like some kind of Ben and Jerry's ice cream). This time I bought it on his second form. Just a matter of time.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

I'm both elated to finally see another Miyamoto player and enraged that my top spot on the Miyamoto board has already been usurped. ;)
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Rastan78 - 7,354,350 - Stage 7 - Miyamoto [C]

Yeah, finally reached stage 7! Learning to consistently trigger and maintain the homing shot all the way through level 6 is the key.

I actually ended up getting all the way to Blackheart 2 and getting really close to taking him out before dying. Not bad for my first time reaching the final stage on 1 credit. Maybe it was the adrenaline?

All I want for Christmas is a Garegga 1CC!
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Rastan78 - 9,191,090 - Stage 7 - S. Magic Bomb

Another run ended by Blackheart mkII. Looks like I'm going to have to face the music and learn to dodge that right-left-right weaving attack. :x
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

keep going Rastan, you're facing a bigger hostacle than it seems. If you're confident with Glow Squid, you're almost there... Take it easy, you can do it :wink:
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
Leandro

Post by Leandro »

Leandro - 4,291,560 - Stage 5 - Diving Fox

For the first time I reached Blackheart... He killed me. :x

I play this game with FBA v2.94 emulator and I have a replay of this run if someone wants to see. :oops:
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

I swear, I really am cursed when it comes to this game...the other day I decided to try going through the game on "Training" mode, just to see if I could still do it (some time ago, I managed to 1CC the game on every difficulty setting below "Normal"), and I just can't do it anymore...it's not even so much because of how bad I am (though that's always a factor), but just that the game seems to ensure that I never quite make it, via any means necessary, be it a well-placed inviso-bullet, an impossible-to-get medal just before a high-scoring area to break my chain and rob me of an extend, a last-second parting shot from a boss as it dies, more point-blanks and "bastard bullets" than I can count...arrgghhhh...

In any event, while playing on defaults, I did manage to improve my Silver Sword score a bit...

BulletMagnet - 3,259,240 - Stage 4 - Masamune
Leandro

Post by Leandro »

Hey BulletMagnet, I have the same problem, with those invisible bullets and the "bullets behind the medals"... It's hard to get used

This time played with the Iron Mackarel to relax a bit from the Diving Fox...

Leandro - 5202620 - Iron Mackarel - stage 6

here's a snap from my game over moment :D lol

Randorama, did you see my Diving Fox score? It's posted above :!:
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Leandro wrote:Hey BulletMagnet, I have the same problem, with those invisible bullets and the "bullets behind the medals"... It's hard to get used
That's not even the thing though...I'm generally pretty bad at shmups, I have no delusions about that, and on lots of games I'll hit a "wall" which I can't get past, but this is the only one in recent memory which I can recall regressing on...not only have I beaten the game on the easiest setting, but on the two above it, and now I can't even seem to do the lowest level anymore. And nearly all my deaths are followed by a "what the heck just got me?" or "no way that was my hitbox!" or "another freakin point blank" or "you've gotta be kidding me..." I wonder if I'm just psyching myself out at this point, it really does seem like the thing is out to get me. I'm probably gonna put it away for a bit, and take it out again after a break.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

BulletMagnet wrote: And nearly all my deaths are followed by a "what the heck just got me?" or "no way that was my hitbox!" or "another freakin point blank" or "you've gotta be kidding me..."
If you are playing via mame, why not record your session, and watch the replay closely (pausing at key moments) to see what really happened? Just a thought. Maybe we could get a great blooper real going of unbelievable deaths. :D
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Heh, I've actually been playing on the Saturn (hence how I was able to switch it to "training" mode, though I probably could finagle something similar on the dip switch screen in MAME)...but honestly, in the back of my head I have wondered what the reaction would be if any of the more skilled players here ever watched one of those types of runs...they'd probably either finally point out to me the fundamental thing I've been doing wrong, whatever it is, or officially dismiss me as a lost cause. They don't call me BulletMagnet for nothin.' :P
Salem Witch Trials!

Post by Salem Witch Trials! »

JTW--4,898,860--Stage 6--Iron Mackrel

Beginning to understand the game more. The more I understand the cooler it gets :)
Recent 1CCs: Metal Black, Chaos Field
Getting raped by: Dangun Feveron

Things you never hear: "Please stop sucking my dick or I'll call the police!" --George Carlin
Neon

Post by Neon »

Only made it to stage 5 this time, but a substantial improvement

Neon - 6,018,940 - Stage 5 - Golden Bat