DoDonPachi (New Thread #2)

Ex-Goku

Post by Ex-Goku »

Play the game as much as you can.
Time and training can bring you goals that you have never expect to reach...
Arcade Extreme Shooting Team Member

My Youtube Channel:
http://it.youtube.com/profile?user=ExGoku

~ AST - EXG ~
Arvandor

Post by Arvandor »

I had a good enough run that I temporarily lifted my self-imposed bomb-ban ^_^ As a result, this happened.

RWM / 65,706,140 / A-L / 2-2 / 469

2-2 scares the ever living shit out of me. Loop 2 is insane o_O I luck dodged through so much that should have killed me, and I still didn't even make it that far. Ridonkulous.

1-5 makes me want to hit the computer monitor with a shovel until it stops making crunching noises when I'm going for no-bomb. I just... can't see how to get through 1-5 on no lives or bombs. I've seen the replay over and over and over, but when I play it, I just... CAN'T do it. With all the time I've logged in this game, you'd think I'd suck less.
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

1-5 makes me want to hit the computer monitor with a shovel until it stops making crunching noises when I'm going for no-bomb. I just... can't see how to get through 1-5 on no lives or bombs. I've seen the replay over and over and over, but when I play it, I just... CAN'T do it. With all the time I've logged in this game, you'd think I'd suck less.
I'm guessing the part of 1-5 that you find hard is just after the 2 power up ships in the transition section, and up to the end of the stage ? If you're watching KO's video, pay attention to every detail and make sure you're doing the same. If you want a non-chaining but surviving path, you could make one up yourself that would probably be quite easier. Oh and save state practice rules !
unsane

Post by unsane »

PROMETHEUS wrote:Oh and save state practice rules !

Heh save states don't work with Cave games on the latest versions (except Progear, the only Cave game i couldn't give a shit about). Do you or anyone know what the last MAME version with working Cave save states is?
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

I use MAME32 0.81, but wolfmameplus99 works perfectly for save states as well, and it also records perfectly so you might want to use it.
Arvandor

Post by Arvandor »

Yeah, I've been using MAME32 mostly, especially at work (wink), so I don't get to savestate practice. The part right after the two powerup ships is pretty easy, especially going on shere survival, but the part right after that, the part with all the popcorn that comes in from both sides, the large blue tanks that spawn in the middle, followed by the giant blue ... turret? in the middle, repeated twice. THAT'S the ONLY part of stage 1-5 that really gives me troubles, but BOY does it give me troubles. After watching your replay, I think I just need to try to kill the central turrets slower, and instead of getting them out of the way quickly, just make them fire to the side instead. But it seems like whenever I spend that much time on one side of the screen, I'm doomed to get cornered, which... Clearly isn't a problem for you ^_^
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

Arvandor wrote:After watching your replay, I think I just need to try to kill the central turrets slower, and instead of getting them out of the way quickly, just make them fire to the side instead. But it seems like whenever I spend that much time on one side of the screen, I'm doomed to get cornered
Yeah, normally this scene starts at the left bee just after the 5 turrets and the power up ship. What you do is you jet to the other side roughly every time a blue tank appears in the middle, triggering your laser at this moment in order to destroy it as you pass the middle. Everytime you get to the other side, try if you can to go up a little bit and preferably use your shot (you're faster and it causes a bit more slowdown). Moving up tends to deflect shots to the side and to clear the middle. At this moment your eyes should be trying to find a path through the bullets in the middle, jet through this path as soon as you have found it, while destroying a blue tank with your laser.

The first hatch should be easy to destroy safely, you should be on the left when it fires its first wave, then you jet to the right ignoring its wave going to the left side or roughly middle, and repeat when it fires to the right, by going to the left yourself, destroying it at point blank.

After this you should keep your laser triggered going left and right a couple of times to destroy the blue tanks that appear in the middle like before, and when the 2nd hatch appears you should jet to the top right, using your shot to be faster, before it fires its first wave. Slowly move down, using your shot to slow the game down, and then suddenly jet to the left when it fires, with your laser triggered, going up so as to touch the hatch with your aura. Depending on your timing you can destroy it at this moment, but it's also safe not to stay too long and instead destroy the line of tanks on the left, move down, then right when the hatch fires again this time destroying it + the line of tanks to the right. The last bullets stray from a little everywhere for you to pass through once or twice more before the large defense structure, and you're clear from the hardest part of loop 1.

Edit : bolded part ^^;
Last edited by PROMETHEUS on Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arvandor

Post by Arvandor »

PROMETHEUS wrote:from the hardest part of loop 1.
Good to know I'm not the only one who thinks so -_^ Thanks for the breakdown. I do indeed move up a bit to herd bullets sideways, and am fairly okayish at finding the gaps... but... not always. Too many bullets to keep track of, and I get nailed by strays all too often. Of course, with that I think part of the problem is how quickly I sweep left and right, I end up with too many bullets going down, as well as towards me, instead of all of them going at me before I find the hole. It's just messier the way I usually do it I guess.
MJR

Post by MJR »

I had to stop playing PSX version and go back to mame to get any kind of decent score. Funny that.

MJR 30477850 ??? C-S 1-6 (forgot to type down max chain, sorry!)

This is not my best score by the way.. the best one is still archived in 2001 shmups mkII site, under dodonpachi challenge (link courtesy of webarchive.org).. my nick was cai25

..I think this kind of proves how inept I am in this game.. more than 6 years of playing and still no progress!
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

My playtime on Dodonpachi has recently exceeded 400 hours :O
I will probably play around 100 more before I start doing runs to destroy the target.

I bet you haven't played as much in 6 years than me in the last 6 months MJR !
MJR

Post by MJR »

WOOOOHOOOOOOOOO!!!!

After 7 years of playing and frustration, I finally cracked the first loop and made my own personal record.. feeling Ecstatic!!!!

second loop was madness from hell :D

MJR 39'188'820 C-S 2-1 369

\o/ \o/ \o/

I'm so happy I could go insane!!!
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

good job!

<New Dodonpachi high score thread is available here -inc.>