STGT 2k6- Results Week #5

Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

BulletMagnet wrote:Guess it depends on what you define as "awesome" weapons, seeing as the game more or less requires you to power up and utilize your main guns and options as little as possible.
Incredible boss milking and bomb tricks say otherwise. (can't say the same about Chitta or the 1st and 3rd Garegga ships, but oh well)

In fact, the optimal scoring route for Gain (and apparently, Wild Snail) is to stop caring about rank after you destroy Black Heart version 1.
so long and tanks for all the spacefish
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Twiddle wrote:In fact, the optimal scoring route for Gain (and apparently, Wild Snail) is to stop caring about rank after you destroy Black Heart version 1.
Yeah, after you've walked on eggshells for the first 70 percent of the game.

Not to mention that while bombing too much in a Cave game will gut your score, shooting/powering up too much in Garegga et al kills your chances of even clearing the thing.
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

BulletMagnet wrote:Not to mention that while bombing too much in a Cave game will gut your score, shooting/powering up too much in Garegga et al kills your chances of even clearing the thing.
Shooting contributes half a percent to your rank, tops. Even as Gain, you have to actually have the options off screen to get your shooting rank contribution above one percent.

Collecting Options may hurt your credit, but they aren't as frequent and credit-killing as 100-400 point medals. I've lost games by losing my medal chain and accidentally taking a ton of low value medals, but I haven't gotten fucked by getting too many options recently.

Bomb fragments? Benefits outweigh rank increase.

Shot icons? Rank contribution is pathetic, given how infrequent the large ones are and how much the 100pt ones actually do.

Frame rank? Unless you jacked your per-frame rank above 50, you're not quite in "fucked" territory as it contributes a single-digit-to-lower-double-digit percentage to your rank.
Last edited by Twiddle on Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

If all those rank factors do next to nothing, it's a wonder why people bother trying to control it in the first place, methinks. ;)
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

The main reason why you control it is that the medals won't fall too fast if you do. You can survive well enough without controlling, admittedly, but hell if you're going to score well in stages 2-5 and the first third of 6.

Getting the rank to ~15% is when the item fall speed starts to become unbearable.
unban shw
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

Icarus wrote:
Or did you not know about the difficulty scaling of boss attack patterns, which is what I was originally commenting on? Even Cave themselves knew of the problems of boss milking that was exploited by Esprade players, and who endeavored to make boss milking more difficult to players with their subsequent games.
You're right, in that I took it to mean something else, as in the bosses don't gradually get more difficult throughout the game. Regardless, I'm not necessarily disagreeing with what you're saying, which is why I don't understand how or why this conversation has gone on so long. I just think you're giving the game short shrift because the boss milking, which even I think is boring, and mullettgeezer's bit about it not being included because of the boss milking.

But I agree, the argument is moot. So I'll let it rest here.

No I won't. Guwange >>>>>>>>> Esprade.

^_-
DOJ>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Guwange

Feedback will set you free.
captpain wrote:Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Bleh. Daioujou is butt-ugly, pretty typical of Cave's style, and kinda generic compared to what Cave can really put out. Daioujou lacks the style, design and flair that Guwange has.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Icarus wrote:Bleh. Daioujou is butt-ugly, pretty typical of Cave's style, and kinda generic compared to what Cave can really put out. Daioujou lacks the style, design and flair that Guwange has.
There's no need for these games to feud.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

BulletMagnet wrote:
Icarus wrote:Plus getting bombs and then being penalised for using them is something I find quite hard to adjust to.
Yeah, that's nothing like Raizing, which just instantly penalizes you for collecting, oh, ANYTHING. ;)
The difference, BM, is that in a Cave game, unless I'm 100% confident in my strategy, I'm always put on the defensive to try and protect that special bonus given by surplus bombs or whathaveyou. In a Raizing game, I can be as aggressive with my arsenal of weaponry and playing strategy as I want and not worry about the consequences, because dying is just as beneficial as staying alive.

Scoreplay in a Cave game is all about getting that perfect run, and in my case, the perfect run happens every thousand credits. Scoreplay in a Raizing is freeflowing and often adlib. I definitely know which one I prefer.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

That's fine, but both styles of game still give you things that they expect you not to use, so criticizing just one or the other for that seems a bit odd...though it's also worth mentioning, I think, that survival and score in most Cave games are more separate than in much of Raizing's stuff, and leave you better able to play purely for the 1CC if you're not ready to bother trying for the "perfect run." Playing for score in Raizing is perhaps LESS "strict" than it is in most Cave games, but it's still plenty mean (and in a completely different manner, a la the low-level medal rank penalty) if you mess up.
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

Icarus wrote:Bleh. Daioujou is butt-ugly, pretty typical of Cave's style, and kinda generic compared to what Cave can really put out. Daioujou lacks the style, design and flair that Guwange has.
Pfff. DOJ could totally kick Guwange's ass.... AND eat it's children.
Scoreplay in a Cave game is all about getting that perfect run, and in my case, the perfect run happens every thousand credits. Scoreplay in a Raizing is freeflowing and often adlib. I definitely know which one I prefer.
Tell that to Bakraid.
captpain wrote:Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

BulletMagnet wrote:That's fine, but both styles of game still give you things that they expect you not to use, so criticizing just one or the other for that seems a bit odd...
What? Reading comprehension dear BM, do you have it?

It wasn't a criticism at all, rather a comment on the way I play them. Coming from a gamestyle where use of all weaponry for scoring is encouraged, to a gamestyle where you're penalised for using the one weapon that can save you in a tight situation is difficult to adjust to. As a result, I have a preference for (and usually return to) the Cave that are less strict in that regard - Guwange, Feveron, Espgaluda etc - and not the likes of Donpachi, Dodonpachi, Progear etc.

And lest you forget, survival and score are linked in Cave games. As a scoreplayer, I have to attempt the perfect run - dying is just as detrimental to your score as using the aforementioned bombs.
Acid King wrote:
Tell that to Bakraid.
Even at its peak, scoring in Bakraid is less anal about routes and timing than anything in Cave. Chaining the multipliers in Bakraid is just about knowing what to hit, you have the option of attacking it with whatever weapon you want. Plus, if you break your chain at any point, or make a mistake, you can still recover a good portion of your score.

In Cave you're not given that possibility. Breaking your chain in something like Daioujou or Guwange means a massive loss in points. In Daioujou, miss a bee in a stage and you not only lose the 2x multiplier on the last bee in the stage, but increased base bee values in the next (almost 2x score lost). Lose your chain at any point in Guwange and the lost score potential is almost unrecoverable. Losing the max bomb bonus in Progear drops your base jewel size back down (making it harder to both score and survive).

There's a FUCKING HUGE difference between "freeflowing" scoreplay and very strict perfection of routes.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Icarus wrote:Coming from a gamestyle where use of all weaponry for scoring is encouraged
More specifically, I'd say, maximum use of one (bombs, in most cases) and limited-as-possible use of everything else.
to a gamestyle where you're penalised for using the one weapon that can save you in a tight situation
To be fair, methinks, in many Raizing games bombs aren't designed to save your butt when you're playing the game correctly, but instead are intended to be used to score more points (most notably in Garegga, wherein you have that nasty delay before the bomb activates, though admittedly later titles are a bit more lenient). In fact, I seem to recall a mini-debate from some time back in which it was stated "It isn't 'Bomb, it's 'Weapon!'" Either way, in both games (most any shmup, really) the ideal is to play without using bombs to save yourself from mistakes, they just make you do it in different ways.
And lest you forget, survival and score are linked in Cave games. As a scoreplayer, I have to attempt the perfect run - dying is just as detrimental to your score as using the aforementioned bombs.
Yeah, they're linked, but in the opposite sense of the way they're linked in at least some Raizing games: in Cave's stuff, you have to survive to score, while in something like Garegga (less so for their other titles) you have to score to survive as well. Also, as you mentioned, some of the more recent Cave titles (the Mushis, the Galudas, Ibara, if that counts) have stopped penalizing the player for bomb use, so give at least a little credit there.
Plus, if you break your chain at any point, or make a mistake, you can still recover a good portion of your score.
I vaguely recall you acknowledging that dropping a medal in a bad spot in Garegga or Batrider in particular can pretty much ruin your game, sometime back during Raizing Week ("Welcome to Battle Garegga 2" is the specific comment I recall, though I forget exactly where you made it). Perhaps not "as bad" of a penalty as in some Cave games, but still plenty nasty for my tastes.

It just seems a bit odd that most of the time you and some others like to crow about how difficult and unforgiving Raizing's games are, and how only the best of the best and most devoted players can truly appreciate them, but as soon as someone complains about how merciless Cave's games can be, the slogan switches to "...but Raizing Understands, and Loves You."
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

Icarus wrote:
Even at its peak, scoring in Bakraid is less anal about routes and timing than anything in Cave. Chaining the multipliers in Bakraid is just about knowing what to hit, you have the option of attacking it with whatever weapon you want. Plus, if you break your chain at any point, or make a mistake, you can still recover a good portion of your score.

In Cave you're not given that possibility. Breaking your chain in something like Daioujou or Guwange means a massive loss in points. In Daioujou, miss a bee in a stage and you not only lose the 2x multiplier on the last bee in the stage, but increased base bee values in the next (almost 2x score lost). Lose your chain at any point in Guwange and the lost score potential is almost unrecoverable. Losing the max bomb bonus in Progear drops your base jewel size back down (making it harder to both score and survive).

There's a FUCKING HUGE difference between "freeflowing" scoreplay and very strict perfection of routes.
Getting the "perfect run" is just as important in Bakraid as it is in any Cave game. Missing or losing the 64x multiplier (or dropping medal count in any raizing game) is going to have a huge amount of influence on your score. Just missing a few million points in Bakraid (say, screwing up the 10 million trick on the first boss) means you lose extends, which means you lose chances to continue your multiplier, which means you lose lots and lots of points. You could argue that it's more open than DOJ or other Cave games, but it's just as anal when it comes to perfect runs since an unplanned death can fuck you over just as much as in a Cave game. And I don't know about it being less anal about timing and routes, considering the fact that Bakraid gives you fewer enemies to chain. Suiciding a fraction of a second too late and you won't have enough time to drop a bomb and lose your chain, not damaging a part enough to have it explode on time to continue a chain, dropping a bomb too early or too short etc etc etc...

EDIT: Routes meaning you have to have your route planned and chainging on the fly is difficult, not "one way to chain"
Last edited by Acid King on Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

BulletMagnet wrote:More specifically, I'd say, maximum use of one (bombs, in most cases) and limited-as-possible use of everything else.
Everything else meaning... what? Shot?
This is weaponry we're talking about, not powerups. When I ALLed Batrider I rarely let go of the fire button, and I was cranking my Shot Frequency up to 2x - 3x default rate.
BulletMagnet wrote:To be fair, methinks, in many Raizing games bombs aren't designed to save your butt when you're playing the game correctly... <snip!>
Yes, but at least you can use your bombs for that survival purpose in most Raizing, and incur little penalty to your score. Use a bomb in most Cave and you stand to lose all manner of juicy bonuses.
BulletMagnet wrote:Yeah, they're linked, but in the opposite sense of the way they're linked in at least some Raizing games: in Cave's stuff, you have to survive to score, while in something like Garegga (less so for their other titles) you have to score to survive as well. Also, as you mentioned, some of the more recent Cave titles (the Mushis, the Galudas, Ibara, if that counts) have stopped penalizing the player for bomb use, so give at least a little credit there.
Mushi does penalise you for bomb usage though. Your parent counter decreases rapidly during the bomb usage. Happens in both Mushi and Mushi Futari.
BulletMagnet wrote:I vaguely recall you acknowledging that dropping a medal in a bad spot in Garegga or Batrider in particular can pretty much ruin your game, sometime back during Raizing Week ("Welcome to Battle Garegga 2" is the specific comment I recall, though I forget exactly where you made it). Perhaps not "as bad" of a penalty as in some Cave games, but still plenty nasty for my tastes.
I made the "Welcome to..." comment.
Read it. The comment had nothing to do with "ruining a game" at all, but is rather a comment about Batrider's scoring systems.
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 151#171151
BulletMagnet wrote:It just seems a bit odd that most of the time you and some others like to crow about how difficult and unforgiving Raizing's games are, and how only the best of the best and most devoted players can truly appreciate them, but as soon as someone complains about how merciless Cave's games can be, the slogan switches to "...but Raizing Understands, and Loves You."
And I find it funny how when a known Raizing player makes even a minor comment relating to Raizing or Cave games, that you're always the first one to jump in and jump down people's throats. You were pretty quick to latch on to my original comparision between the way I play Cave and Raizing, and took it completely out of context.

What's even funnier than that is when people defend their position, you use the defensive arguments "well, I haven't played it as much as you", "I haven't noticed that when I play", "I'm not as understandable or knowledgeable about those things as..." and so on.

Sorry BM, but it has to be said. Congrats. You've become the forum's numero uno anti-Raizing troll. -_-;;

As for your actual comment, I'll use one of your comparisons: when played for score, Raizing is merciless, but fair about it. Cave is just merciless.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Icarus wrote:Everything else meaning... what? Shot? This is weaponry we're talking about, not powerups.
How much of a differentiation is there between something that wants you to keep something at a lower power which makes it less useful, and something that doesn't want you to use it at all? Not exactly the same thing, granted, but I'd still consider it "limiting" certain weapons...then, of course, you've got something like Souky, which more or less demands that score players in particular stick almost exclusively to the web weapon and never shoot OR bomb for most of the game.
BulletMagnet wrote:Yes, but at least you can use your bombs for that survival purpose in most Raizing, and incur little penalty to your score. Use a bomb in most Cave and you stand to lose all manner of juicy bonuses.
As I said, maybe not "as bad" as much of Cave's stuff if you want to nitpick, but still plenty mean...check two replies down, or Acid King's latest reply above.
Mushi does penalise you for bomb usage though. Your parent counter decreases rapidly during the bomb usage. Happens in both Mushi and Mushi Futari.
Gah, forgot about that, for some stupid reason...maybe it was the lack of a "bombs remaining" bonus that threw me off.
Read it. The comment had nothing to do with "ruining a game" at all, but is rather a comment about Batrider's scoring systems.
When read "in a vacuum," no, but consider the statement it's being made in response to:

This game is pretty frustrating in that if you lose your medal chain in a level with lots of medals, you might as well restart.

If nothing else, you certainly didn't deny what was said there, and followed it up with a more specific breakdown of how badly your score gets knocked down if you do the aforementioned. And now here I'm seeing seemingly contradictory comments about how (comparatively) forgiving Raizing's games are...I hope you can see how it strikes me as questionable off the cuff.
You were pretty quick to latch on to my original comparision between the way I play Cave and Raizing, and took it completely out of context.
If I took it out of context I apologize, but it honestly did strike me as puzzling, since no group of shmups is more well-known for requiring players to limit the use of certain weapons than Raizing's is, and seeing Cave criticized for punishing bomb use, in purely score-repated ways with little to do with survival, caught my attention...
Sorry BM, but it has to be said. Congrats. You've become the forum's numero uno anti-Raizing troll. -_-;;
Oh come on, that's just silly. Or have you already forgotten about that sizable chunk of the Garegga ST I volunteered to help with, among other things? I've got nothing against Raizing's games or those who play them, and methinks you know that, but when I see an equivalent (or think I do) of the infamous "visible bullets are ugly" fiasco, I see no reason to not say anything, in the same manner as yourself and others have no qualms, and rightfully so, about reacting to "rank suxxorz" type comments. All things considered methinks I try to keep my speech on any topic, this sort included, pretty civil around here, you of all people should know I've had more than enough enough of flame wars on this sort of thing.
As for your actual comment, I'll use one of your comparisons: when played for score, Raizing is merciless, but fair about it. Cave is just merciless.
You'll have to further elaborate on that one, methinks...I still see both as having at least a roughly equivalent ability to make score players in particular bash their heads against walls, just via different methods. If you prefer one over the other I've got no problem with that, but implying that one is unquestionably superior to the other is another matter.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

lol internet
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

BulletMagnet wrote:How much of a differentiation is there between something that wants you to keep something at a lower power which makes it less useful, and something that doesn't want you to use it at all?
There is a difference. Just because you're limiting Shot power doesn't make the weapon any less useful, it merely changes the way you use the weapon. Even with a limited Shot power in Soukyu, you still use your Shot in many circumstances to weaken targets, clear areas and attack particular enemies. Even if you use a bomb in Soukyu, you can instantly recover the maximum bomb bonus as the only time the bonus resets itself is when you die - pick up one or two bombs to hit max again and you can continue to reap the benefits.

Like I said before, I'm talking about weaponry use, not powerups.
BulletMagnet wrote:When read "in a vacuum," no, but consider the statement it's being made in response to:

This game is pretty frustrating in that if you lose your medal chain in a level with lots of medals, you might as well restart.

If nothing else, you certainly didn't deny what was said there, and followed it up with a more specific breakdown of how badly your score gets knocked down if you do the aforementioned. And now here I'm seeing seemingly contradictory comments about how (comparatively) forgiving Raizing's games are...I hope you can see how it strikes me as questionable off the cuff.
Oh puh-leeze. Even from breaking your Medal chain in a Raizing the score lost is nowhere near proportional to the massive loss incurred by doing the same thing in a Cave. 130k from bringing your Medal chain back up from a standing start is... what? Less than 1% of my ALL score? 1% of my possible Strawman Only Advanced Course max?

Did I mention in countless other threads that scoring in Raizing games is generally evened out in all stages and scoring targets can be taken as and when appropriate? Did you know that with most if not all Cave games, scoring is exponential as you progress - each stage is worth roughly double the one before it, due to aforementioned bonuses stacking up? What do you think that does to your score potential if you screw up at the midpoint of the game? Do you think its possible to recover even half your potential maximum score if you lose the chance to regain those stackable bonuses?

Don't you think that ties back to the whole notion of "the perfect play"?
BulletMagnet wrote:If I took it out of context I apologize, but it honestly did strike me as puzzling, since no group of shmups is more well-known for requiring players to limit the use of certain weapons than Raizing's is, and seeing Cave criticized for punishing bomb use, in purely score-repated ways with little to do with survival, caught my attention...
The fact that you took it out of context is what made it initially "puzzling" to you. It was nothing more than a mere tiny comment, and take a look at what it has developed into.

And as I said all the way up in the first reply of this post, you're confusing limiting powerup and item collection with limiting weapon usage. Just because your weapons are in a weaker state than most games would expect, doesn't make them any less useful.
BulletMagnet wrote:Oh come on, that's just silly. Or have you already forgotten about that sizable chunk of the Garegga ST I volunteered to help with, among other things? I've got nothing against Raizing's games or those who play them, and methinks you know that, but when I see an equivalent (or think I do) of the infamous "visible bullets are ugly" fiasco, I see no reason to not say anything, in the same manner as yourself and others have no qualms, and rightfully so, about reacting to "rank suxxorz" type comments. All things considered methinks I try to keep my speech on any topic, this sort included, pretty civil around here, you of all people should know I've had more than enough enough of flame wars on this sort of thing.
Yup, but like me with the mentioned "rank suzzorz" threads, you're always the first to dive in.
BulletMagnet wrote:You'll have to further elaborate on that one, methinks...I still see both as having at least a roughly equivalent ability to make score players in particular bash their heads against walls, just via different methods. If you prefer one over the other I've got no problem with that, but implying that one is unquestionably superior to the other is another matter.
Three replies up in this particular post, the "oh puhleeze" comment.

And where did I say "Raizing is superior to Cave" in any of my posts in this thread? All of my comments have been of a gameplay comparison-based nature. Stop putting words in my mouth! :evil:
Plasmo wrote:lol internet
I agree. Serious Business.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Icarus wrote:Like I said before, I'm talking about weaponry use, not powerups.
I was thinking (and continue to think) in broader terms, so we're sort of flailing away at air here. I guess I could possibly reword it as (some variation of) the semi-infamous "playstyle that goes contrary to instinct"...both never bombing and keeping weapon power low might fit into that category, and involve "limiting yourself" somehow. Hopefully that's a little clearer...
Even from breaking your Medal chain in a Raizing the score lost is nowhere near proportional to the massive loss incurred by doing the same thing in a Cave. 130k from bringing your Medal chain back up from a standing start is... what? Less than 1% of my ALL score? 1% of my possible Strawman Only Advanced Course max?
You seem to have neglected to address the "losing the medal at a bad spot" specific...lose your chain at the end of Garegga's level 2 and you're out a ton of points at the beginning of stage 3, for instance. Once more, perhaps not "as bad," but it can still put a good dent in your run, especially when you're depending on keeping extends coming for pure survival purposes (plus death-related bomb fragments for additional scoring, and further extends). As for the "exponential" stuff you mention, it's a valid point, certainly, though Cave's games are hardly the only ones which do this, though they're the only ones which seem to take regular flack for it for some reason. In any case, I thought you liked games which play rough with you. ;)
The fact that you took it out of context is what made it initially "puzzling" to you. It was nothing more than a mere tiny comment, and take a look at what it has developed into.
Bah, this is peanuts compared to what we've seen before. ;) And again, I obviously didn't mean to interpret your comment differently than you intended, I just commented on how it initially struck me, there was no malice or anything behind it...hopefully you're well-acquainted enough with me by now for that not to be an issue.
Yup, but like me with the mentioned "rank suzzorz" threads, you're always the first to dive in.
Consider us dual sides of the same coin then, heh heh.
And where did I say "Raizing is superior to Cave" in any of my posts in this thread? All of my comments have been of a gameplay comparison-based nature. Stop putting words in my mouth! :evil:
Raizing is merciless, but fair about it. Cave is just merciless.

That sounded pretty close. If you want to nitpick again it wasn't a "Cave is inferior to Raizing in every conceivable way" type of comment, but I never said it was from the beginning. Again, I think we're sort of talking along different lines here, and something's getting lost in translation.
Pirate1019

Post by Pirate1019 »

Can't you see that your fighting is tearing this forum apart!?!

:wink:
"You are the Hero of Tomorrow!"
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

If you think THIS is a fight, you ain't been here too long. ;)
Rob

Post by Rob »

PMs please!
Pirate1019

Post by Pirate1019 »

BulletMagnet wrote:If you think THIS is a fight, you ain't been here too long. ;)
Haha. Don't worry. Although I havent really been here long I can see that this is just bickering to pass the time.

I'll throw in my two cents.

BM is right about the weapons.

Icarus is right about the medalling stuff.

You can now continue with your old-couple-bickering. :P
"You are the Hero of Tomorrow!"
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

I don't like the Cave philosophy of "how far you go on one life without bombing will judge your score" which is irritatingly prevalent on about half of their games. They have the gall to let you keep playing after you've effectively rendered your run pointless.
It's even more hilarious that the only game they did that punishes you not very much for death gives you a grand total of one extend (you can easily guess which one that is).

If you really want players to prove that they can one life the game, you can foster suicide tactics for optimal scores and possibly limit extends, ala Border Down, Raiden Fighters 1 and 2, and Under Defeat.
unban shw
LUNardei

Post by LUNardei »

Twiddle wrote:They have the gall to let you keep playing after you've effectively rendered your run pointless.
Nahh, not in every game, you know. I actually don't recognize that as a main characteristic of Cave games, even if it's present in some (even most of their) games. Watch the Maniac run on the mushi's DVD, for example. The player absolutely doesn't care about lifes and bombs at all. And that's lovely.