STGT 2k6- Results Week #5

Pirate1019

Post by Pirate1019 »

DJ Incompetent wrote:Is there like...an emoticon, for fading into sand and being blown away? Kinda like a FF6 final Kefka?

ugh..that sounds like a Hawthorne Heights song....nevermind.

I'll stick to trolling mad faces then
:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x
I'll bet somebody here could make you one. There is no shortage of emoticons here. :D
"You are the Hero of Tomorrow!"
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

Pirate1019 wrote:My, my, my. Good times.

I never played WoW. What's DKP?

BTW, hoo wants l33t haXX for uB3R l3g3nd@ry w@3pons? PM iLikeBigB00bieZ from Klan UsUXXorZmiB@llzorZ.

:D This is fun.
I don't play WoW either, but I did watch this... which was entirely too entertaining when I first heard it.
Pirate1019

Post by Pirate1019 »

The Coop wrote:
Pirate1019 wrote:My, my, my. Good times.

I never played WoW. What's DKP?

BTW, hoo wants l33t haXX for uB3R l3g3nd@ry w@3pons? PM iLikeBigB00bieZ from Klan UsUXXorZmiB@llzorZ.

:D This is fun.
I don't play WoW either, but I did watch this... which was entirely too entertaining when I first heard it.
Yep, I didn't understand 75% of what was being said, but having played a couple other MMO's just for a quick change of pace, I understood enough to know that he was a little off the rocker.

Still don't know what "More Dots!" means.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Quick MMORPG lingo:

DOT = Damage Over Time
Refers to attacks that slowly consume target hitpoints, such as Poison. Can also refer to attacks that consume magic points, like Mana Burn.

DKP = Dragon Kill Points
An unofficial type of guild/group currency, gained by doing activities such as raiding dungeons, killing particularly difficult bosses (usually dragons and other stupidly large bad guys that take teams of 20+ people to do) and taking part in PvP with your guild/group. You use DKP to purchase particularly desirable and very rare items, such as legendary armor and weapons (the kind that drops off bosses once in a blue moon).

Also, a word of advice: don't play WoW. It's fun to start with, but gets extremely boring and time consuming as it goes on.

And before I forget, namakoteam is ahead by 202pts. I think it's safe to say we have the tournament wrapped up, and can concentrate on placing as high as we can in the Individuals. ^_-

Good luck to everyone in Cave Week!
Pirate1019

Post by Pirate1019 »

Oh god. The thought of playing WoW frightens me. A kid at my school plays WoW and relates it to his everyday life. The kind of though processes you go through in mmo's just make me sick. It reminds me of RTS games, only you control a lot of things about one person, not a few things about 100 people and 25 buildings.

Anyway, what does everybody think the game for Cave weeek will be? I wasn't here for any previous tournaments, so what games are barred this years tourney, if any?
Rob

Post by Rob »

Pirate1019 wrote: Anyway, what does everybody think the game for Cave weeek will be?
Guwange :?
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

Rob wrote:
Pirate1019 wrote: Anyway, what does everybody think the game for Cave weeek will be?
Guwange :?
I'm hoping for DonPachi. It's the only game from them I own, and I'd love to get to use my comfy Saturn pad.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

We had Donpachi in the last tournament, but it depends on what people vote for this time around.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Well I hope DonPachi makes the poll, although it was covered in Ramus' contest. I'm not sure if that's an automatic disqualification, but DP is easier to get into for a week.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

I'm hoping for DonPachi, too. That and ESPGaluda are the only ports of Cave games I currently own. And DonPachi is easier to get into.

Playing a Cave game on MAME would be much more difficult, because my MAME doesn't support assigning autofire and normal fire to two different buttons.

Wasn't Cyvern in Ramus's shmeets too? It still got shortlisted for hidden gem week, so I guess DonPachi isn't automatically disqualified for Cave week.
sven666

Post by sven666 »

im hopeing espgaluda.. would be really exciting to have a game where som many are quite equal in skill.. well over 40 people on these boards have 1CCd it :shock:

im happy as long as Dangun doesnt win anyways.. all cave games are good (xept that one) to varying degrees... :)
the destruction of everything, is the beginning of something new. your whole world is on fire, and soon, you'll be too..
DEL

!

Post by DEL »

Guwange's character scoring would give Edge a huge headache.

Dangun would have a lot of players scoring zero points for the week :lol: .

ESPRADE would be my choice - accessible - no scoring foibles (apart from the Boss milking).
mulletgeezer

Post by mulletgeezer »

Guwange's scoring is ok, Edge could just stick a little chart in the HS thread to help people work out their scores, it would be educational.

Smraedis worked out a way to zerosie the DF score table so everybody could submit their score without any problems.

Espgaluda has no chance of making the shortlist due to the lack of emulation, surely?
CIT

Post by CIT »

I think Esprade is the way to go. Very accessible (both in terms of gameplay and in terms of everybody being able to play the game) and it has likeable characters and whatnot.

Donpachi and Dodonpachi have probably been played to death by everyone on this forum. Personally, I would skip Cave week if one of those was chosen.

Dangun might be interesting. It's just so... so hard! :shock:
mulletgeezer

Post by mulletgeezer »

Esprade is a great game but I think it shouldn't be included in the poll due to the boss milking; anyone who wishes to seriously compete for score in the game would have to do the full amount of B shot boss milking which massively increases the time it takes to play each credit and it would just ruin Cave week.

I also think DP would ruin Cave week if it were chosen. Not that it's a bad game, it's just so limited compared to all the other wonderfully deep games that could be chosen instead.
howmuchkeefe

Post by howmuchkeefe »

Doesn't Guwange try to teach you how to interpret those crazy Japanese characters every time you run out of lives?
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Yup.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiragana
Remember kids! You too can learn a foreign language through the magic of videogames!
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

Progear please :roll:
freddiebamboo

Post by freddiebamboo »

mulletgeezer wrote: I also think DP would ruin Cave week if it were chosen. Not that it's a bad game, it's just so limited compared to all the other wonderfully deep games that could be chosen instead.

Donpachi was played to death last shmeet by quite a few players, so I'd rather see DDP get the nod instead.
It's a popular game, but there are few very high scores for it on the scoreboards.
Last edited by freddiebamboo on Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

mulletgeezer wrote:Esprade is a great game but I think it shouldn't be included in the poll due to the boss milking; anyone who wishes to seriously compete for score in the game would have to do the full amount of B shot boss milking which massively increases the time it takes to play each credit and it would just ruin Cave week.
Agreed. Esprade is a good game, but the boss milking destroys any kind of enjoyment out of scoring in this game. Milking tacks on up to 50% of the maximum possible score, and increases playtime by at least 20min, and is also one of the most boring exercises ever devised. The rest of Cave's games are better designed for maximum scoring.

And I'm amused at people wanting Progear. Giving the highly technical nature of both Progear and Guwange, I'd have figured that people would want something simpler like Donpachi or Feveron. ^_-
sven666

Post by sven666 »

progear, guwange, espgaluda and DDP DOJ would be my nominees for cave week..

sure some members havent got acces to galuda/doj just like some dont have mame.. but the majority do.
if you dont have it then dont vote for it, just like i voted vasara in the last week since it was the only game i owned out of the nominees..
the destruction of everything, is the beginning of something new. your whole world is on fire, and soon, you'll be too..
jpj

Post by jpj »

ketsui - imagine the nerd-backlash.
mulletgeezer

Post by mulletgeezer »

nah, that would give Team Cowboy a chance to prove they're not shit at shmupping, something they've failed to do for 5 weeks now.

:P :P :P :P :P :P
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

mulletgeezer wrote:nah, that would give Team Cowboy a chance to prove they're not shit at shmupping, something they've failed to do for 5 weeks now.

:P :P :P :P :P :P
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ahahaha! My chest! Hurting! Can't stop laughing! Make it stop! Can't breathe!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
coffeejoerx

Post by coffeejoerx »

Congratulations for Team Old Schoolers.

In the last week of tournament, I hope that my performance either better.

What is the probable games that compose the Cave Week? Progear? Donpachi? Esprade? Guwange?
mulletgeezer

Post by mulletgeezer »

Following the unwritten rule that all candidate games each week can be played in mame there are only 6 games Edge might pick from but i doubt he would stick DDP in as it's far too popular. This would leave DP, Guwange, Feveron, Esprade and Progear. Hopefully Edge will also agree with our criticism of Esprade as a choice for the competition, as it really is a dodgy choice when playing it seriously for score can take 40+ minutes per game. I suppose Esprade could be replaced with the Feveron 5 minute game to make 5 choices?
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

PLEASE not DonPachi (I've had enough memory-based survival and debilitating power-downs to hold me for awhile thank you very much...not to mention that owners of the slowdown-ridden Saturn port have an instant advantage)...although after Air Gallet pretty much anything's a step in the right direction. :P
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

Icarus wrote:
Agreed. Esprade is a good game, but the boss milking destroys any kind of enjoyment out of scoring in this game. Milking tacks on up to 50% of the maximum possible score, and increases playtime by at least 20min, and is also one of the most boring exercises ever devised.
I dunno about that complaint though. I mean, the highest score on this board is slightly over 50% of the maximum score. How many of these weeks has the top score of the board been topped?
Feedback will set you free.
captpain wrote:Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb
mulletgeezer

Post by mulletgeezer »

you mean breaking the forum record? 4 weeks out of the 5 i think. I imagine the 2 scores at the top of our esprade HS board used some milking.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Acid King wrote:I dunno about that complaint though. I mean, the highest score on this board is slightly over 50% of the maximum score. How many of these weeks has the top score of the board been topped?
If you count Kewing's old forum record of 29mil+, then I'd say that's a lot more then "slightly over" 50%. And I've seen the replay, there is some extensive boss milking going on.

As for breaking forum records this tournament, I've done it twice (Blazing Star and Batrider), two of the games are new to the Highscore Forum (Star Force and Air Gallet), and Rob could have easily wiped Ex-Mosquito's Dragon Blaze score off the top had he kept playing.