STGT 2k6 Week #4- Dragon Blaze

BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

professor ganson wrote:I'd also be interested to hear more about non-nerdy shmups.
No such animal. :P
Davey

Post by Davey »

DJ Incompetent wrote:...yeeeah, less D&Dish shit for next week? The goal was not to become the nerdiest guy I know. :? :wink:
Uh, you spend your free time competing in an obscure video game tournament with strangers via the internet. Regardless of your character's sprite, that ship has sailed. :)

Well, maybe not, but I'm assuming you don't hang out with any LARPers.
Rob

Post by Rob »

professor ganson wrote:I'd be interested to hear more about this suggestion that DB doesn't punish enough for mistakes. I'm not understanding. Example?
The scoring opportunities are all independent of each other, compared to most other games where good scoring requires a more complete stage plan. That only covers score, though.
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Rob wrote:
professor ganson wrote:I'd be interested to hear more about this suggestion that DB doesn't punish enough for mistakes. I'm not understanding. Example?
The scoring opportunities are all independent of each other, compared to most other games where good scoring requires a more complete stage plan. That only covers score, though.
OK, that makes perfect sense--I can see how one might see that as a shortcoming.
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

DB punishes plenty for mistakes. Your bomb count is reset to 2 no matter how many you have left :x
so long and tanks for all the spacefish
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays
Rob

Post by Rob »

Twiddle wrote:DB punishes plenty for mistakes. Your bomb count is reset to 2 no matter how many you have left :x
In a more scoring focused game bombs can severely mess things up, so DB is nice enough to let us use them at all, whenever and a lot.

I like Batrider's way with bombs the best.
DJ Incompetent

Post by DJ Incompetent »

Davey wrote:
DJ Incompetent wrote:...yeeeah, less D&Dish shit for next week? The goal was not to become the nerdiest guy I know. :? :wink:
Uh, you spend your free time competing in an obscure video game tournament with strangers via the internet. Regardless of your character's sprite, that ship has sailed. :)

LARPers..?...um...I don't think I'm gonna google it...I got nothin' to prove there. I'm blank on what LARPers are. Should I be hoping I don't hang out with them? :mrgreen: 'Guessing yes. 'Guessing I must avoid said LARPers.

hmmm, how to sink that boat while still playin' the torney :P
professor ganson wrote:I'd also be interested to hear more about non-nerdy shmups. Strikers is a pretty good suggestion, DJ. Definitely needs further investigation, though. My vote goes to Raiden.
I dunno. From experience on reactions of people who caught me on the machines, I'd conclude that a (US) nerdy one would have one or more of:
- Spaceships
- Space
- Traditional or cutesy anime character portraits
- Any anime-ish dialogue
- Goofy or cutesy-looking bosses
- Any fantasy-esq or playful backdrops
- Dragons

And then to a lesser extent,
-Fictional robots and/or mechs

The 'nerdness' would cut in half if it was NES era or earlier.

Soooo, I say Batrider is quasi-nerdy because ya never really hit space and no passers-by know what the fuck you're riding in. If you pick Carpet, you're screwed if somebody watches you beat a stage. If you pick Strawman, you're cool 'cause nobody raises an eyebrow when you pick the cliche big black guy character. Strikers is alright 'cause of the real planes thing. Just don't let the historic-plane-crazed 40-year-old in the room watch you take on any boss' 2nd form? But I'd say no on Raiden only because of the big red or blue spaceship-looking...ship. Maybe a Raiden Fighters Something could fly though.

Well, until somebody in marketing gets command of a focus group, I guess this is one of those theory things that would only blow up into multipage sentence-cutting quote replies that roll a screen long per post.

I'll just stay out to dodge a one raised eyebrow from the girl and roommates when they catch me playin' me hobby. 8) The demanding 30 minutes of my time hobby.
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

ai cho aniki is the most badass manly thing ever you should play that
so long and tanks for all the spacefish
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

DJ Incompetent wrote:
Davey wrote:

LARPers..?...um...I don't think I'm gonna google it...I got nothin' to prove there. I'm blank on what LARPers are. Should I be hoping I don't hang out with them? :mrgreen: 'Guessing yes. 'Guessing I must avoid said LARPers.

hmmm, how to sink that boat while still playin' the torney :P
professor ganson wrote:I'd also be interested to hear more about non-nerdy shmups. Strikers is a pretty good suggestion, DJ. Definitely needs further investigation, though. My vote goes to Raiden.
I dunno. From experience on reactions of people who caught me on the machines, I'd conclude that a (US) nerdy one would have one or more of:
- Spaceships
- Space
- Traditional or cutesy anime character portraits
- Any anime-ish dialogue
- Goofy or cutesy-looking bosses
- Any fantasy-esq or playful backdrops
- Dragons

And then to a lesser extent,
-Fictional robots and/or mechs

The 'nerdness' would cut in half if it was NES era or earlier.

Soooo, I say Batrider is quasi-nerdy because ya never really hit space and no passers-by know what the fuck you're riding in. If you pick Carpet, you're screwed if somebody watches you beat a stage. If you pick Strawman, you're cool 'cause nobody raises an eyebrow when you pick the cliche big black guy character. Strikers is alright 'cause of the real planes thing. Just don't let the historic-plane-crazed 40-year-old in the room watch you take on any boss' 2nd form? But I'd say no on Raiden only because of the big red or blue spaceship-looking...ship. Maybe a Raiden Fighters Something could fly though.

Well, until somebody in marketing gets command of a focus group, I guess this is one of those theory things that would only blow up into multipage sentence-cutting quote replies that roll a screen long per post.

I'll just stay out to dodge a one raised eyebrow from the girl and roommates when they catch me playin' me hobby. 8) The demanding 30 minutes of my time hobby.
I bet the Cho Aniki shmups aren't considered "nerdy". They're probably considered a lot of other things, but I'd wager nerdy isn't one of them :lol:
Rob

Post by Rob »

The Coop wrote: I bet the Cho Aniki shmups aren't considered "nerdy". They're probably considered a lot of other things, but I'd wager nerdy isn't one of them :lol:
This is what I also thought, sad to report. I never really considered shmups on their scale of nerdiness before. I thought all games were pretty much in the same area, or at least everything between mmorpgs and sports games.
DJ Incompetent

Post by DJ Incompetent »

The Coop wrote:I bet the Cho Aniki shmups aren't considered "nerdy". They're probably considered a lot of other things, but I'd wager nerdy isn't one of them :lol:
:lol: Defeating The Point Loophole +1!
Witty though. I like.

Rob wrote:I thought all games were pretty much in the same area, or at least everything between mmorpgs and sports games.
Yeah, this came up at the bar and at select chill shindigs a few times after the Halo thing changed a lot of stuff and some party people who never spoke of games ever and did the pretty-boy lifestyles started buying consoles. I think the genre order from 'pop-culture acceptable' to 'basement nerd' went from
-Madden
-all other sports games
-Halo
-Gran Turismo (or PGR Forza flavor of the 9 months)
-FPS's
-GTA
-Burnout
-Smash Brothers
-select sandbox-ish games
-select third-person games
everything else
-MMORPGs

I've been guest in enough houses to believe this still holds true today.
professor ganson

:lol: This deserves its own thread. But if it keeps the Dragon Blaze love alive, I'm hardly going to complain.
DJ Incompetent

Post by DJ Incompetent »

professor ganson wrote::lol: This deserves its own thread. But if it keeps the Dragon Blaze love alive, I'm hardly going to complain.
True, so i put it here
coffeejoerx

Post by coffeejoerx »

Congratulations to team Old Schoolers.
professor ganson

Rob's video has me going back to DB after a break. I need to stop using bombs for the TB, to figure out how to get gold coins off the first form of the bosses, and to stop bombing on the desert boss' first form. I want to get to the extend and finally see level 6!