STGT 2k6 Week #2 Results

BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

I dunno if I'd even go that far...even me, with my measly 3.5 mil or so, found myself more frustrated with this than I've ever been with BG. Aside from the already-mentioned stuff, one thing that immediately struck me was that this one has no option to select a "small hitbox" ship...I think that would have helped a good deal, seeing as some patterns in Batrider leave ZERO room for error with the default hitbox.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

You'd be surprised at how small the default hitbox really is. I think its the same size as the C/ABC types of Garegga. I've done some major dodges through tight gaps in Batrider before.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Guess you're just better at picking 'em out than me, I KNOW they're definitely bigger than they are in Bakraid...but honestly (as merely one example), if Boredom's options ever decided to send out that tight orange spread at me, it was either bomb or die. No way I could consistently squeeze through it.
Rob

Post by Rob »

BulletMagnet wrote: if Boredom's options ever decided to send out that tight orange spread at me,
Easy stuff! :o And I think you can prevent it by not letting them linger without their gunpods.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

BulletMagnet wrote:Guess you're just better at picking 'em out than me, I KNOW they're definitely bigger than they are in Bakraid...but honestly (as merely one example), if Boredom's options ever decided to send out that tight orange spread at me, it was either bomb or die. No way I could consistently squeeze through it.
First form? You can avoid the tight orange spread by not destroying both guns on the support choppers. They only fire a spread if you destroy both guns, and the movement speed and amount of bullets in the spread is determined by how many support choppers are still active. Thats why, normally to avoid the spread, it is safer to use Aura, as they don't fire their double laser bullets from their guns if you are at close range.

As for Bakraid... well, you're meant to die a lot in that game, hence the size of the hitbox. ^_^
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

Yay! The 10 points from my crappy ass score helped push Feka USA over Team Sweden, into second place. :D
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

Icarus wrote:As for Bakraid... well, you're meant to die a lot in that game, hence the size of the hitbox. ^_^
I'm convinced that it's almost as big as the Raiden Fighters hitboxes.
so long and tanks for all the spacefish
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Rob wrote:Easy stuff! :o
:P

Seriously, just trying to uphold the spirit of Team Loser. ;)
Icarus wrote:As for Bakraid... well, you're meant to die a lot in that game, hence the size of the hitbox. ^_^
That's just the thing, despite the constant dying and whatnot I'm MUCH more comfortable with Bakraid's hitboxes when playing for survival, even...thus part of the reason why I've managed at least a low-scoring All Clear on the Normal course in that, while I'm hardly motivated to even try in Batrider.

And again, obviously you guys are a good deal better at shmupping in general than I am, but...

...even after that spreads out, you still have ZERO room for error. Even that criss-cross pattern that Mad Ball sends at you (though I still hate it) isn't that bad (imo, anyways). And in Mad Ball's case, the primary strategy to avoid it doesn't have to be "make sure he doesn't get a chance to throw it at you," heh heh.

Sorry for the semi-vent. ;)
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

BulletMagnet wrote:"make sure he doesn't get a chance to throw it at you," heh heh.
Very sound advice when dealing with Boredom's fast spread attack. ^_-
Rob

Post by Rob »

twe wrote:Yay! The 10 points from my crappy ass score helped push Feka USA over Team Sweden, into second place. :D
I'm not sure I have the heart to say it...
Wait, OK.

Only the top 3 scores count per team. :(
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

BulletMagnet wrote:Image
that can be squeezed through and there is a bit of room for error
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
landshark

Post by landshark »

Twiddle wrote:
BulletMagnet wrote:Image
that can be squeezed through and there is a bit of room for error
Agreed, no problem. The bad one is when he point blanks you with that spread when you are trying to kill the drones with your melee attack. Then yer dead.
SiKrAiKeN: While I don't think everyone here -is- a Ninja Turtle, I DO believe everyone here has the potential to be a Ninja Turtle. No doubt.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Your Aura has quite a bit of range on it, much larger than it appears, so you can sit safely away from it ensuring you dont destroy both guns on a chopper.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

I cannot believe that we're fourth, considering that basically it's me and Zakk (cough, cough). I also hope that the retro week will not see some milk-fest oldie, i don't have the time to sit down and spend ages to get a good score :?

Btw zomg ban namakoteam plz (So BM will not protest that i only invoke his ban :lol: )
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
zakk

Post by zakk »

Randorama wrote:I cannot believe that we're fourth, considering that basically it's me and Zakk (cough, cough). I also hope that the retro week will not see some milk-fest oldie, i don't have the time to sit down and spend ages to get a good score :?
Hey, we have MrMonkeyMan too! Valgar and Plasmo are useless :(
Edge

Post by Edge »

BulletMagnet wrote: Image
You can also try to lure this spread shot to the site staying at the left edge of the screen (have your ship a spread shot?). This way you'll have enough room to escape this pattern because it will be aimed to the left. And you don't have to go through the gaps. :)

But offcourse killing the helicopters before they get a chance for that attack is probably the easiest solution.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Rob wrote:WILL FEKA USA REMAIN #2 THOURHOUT THE TOURNAMNET?
Go No Replays Team. :lol: We'll be competitive in Psikyo and Cave weeks, but the lack of MAME will keep me out of Retro and Hidden Gem weeks.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

I just want to drop in to say that I had much more fun this past week than I'd have thought.

I still think that the low bullet visibility and the bits where parts of the scenery obscure the action are terrible design flaws, but overall Batrider really was a lot of fun, much more than Blazing Star. After playing Advanced Course all week I decided to give the normal course another go and one-credited it on my first try - nice. (Since I didn't have to do as much rank control I just collected everything to make sure I only had to meet one of the rivals at the end of stage 5.)

Pretty unrelated: Anyone noticed that the three rivals have the colours of traffic lights? Not only that, their colours seem to be related to how dangerous they are, too (Sobut (green)=easy, Blunt (yellow)=medium, Envy (red)=hard).
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Randorama wrote:Btw zomg ban namakoteam plz (So BM will not protest that i only invoke his ban :lol: )
Me wuvs you, Randy. :mrgreen:
You can also try to lure this spread shot to the site staying at the left edge of the screen (have your ship a spread shot?). This way you'll have enough room to escape this pattern because it will be aimed to the left. And you don't have to go through the gaps.
It could work, but probably only with a quick character...that's actually another thing that caught my attention about Batrider that wasn't a problem in Garegga, namely that slow characters are much more heavily handicapped thanks to the tougher medaling and less forgiving hit detection. While the Wild Snail's BG's most popular plane, I had a lot of trouble trying it out here, though I managed okay with the Grass Hopper...
MrMonkeyMan

Post by MrMonkeyMan »

zakk wrote:
Randorama wrote:I cannot believe that we're fourth, considering that basically it's me and Zakk (cough, cough). I also hope that the retro week will not see some milk-fest oldie, i don't have the time to sit down and spend ages to get a good score :?
Hey, we have MrMonkeyMan too! Valgar and Plasmo are useless :(
We're the best team ever :cry:
Rob

Post by Rob »

Nemo wrote: Go No Replays Team. :lol: We'll be competitive in Psikyo and Cave weeks, but the lack of MAME will keep me out of Retro and Hidden Gem weeks.
Cave should be OK, since everyone likes them including as yet no show GAIJINPUNCH. Psikyo should be good. Hidden Gem might be a problem because nothing hidden is any good.
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

BulletMagnet wrote:less forgiving hit detection
qué?

Batrider has a pretty small hitbox (probably even smaller than Garegga's C), and unlike Garegga, your crashing hitbox is not your entire ship.

And the focus of the enemy bullet patterns are more towards keeping you from scoring, as opposed to Garegga, where they are more opposed to you staying alive.
unban shw
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

Rob wrote:Hidden Gem might be a problem because nothing hidden is any good.
That's what I've been saying.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Again, maybe it's just me, but I find myself very uncomfortable with Batrider's hitboxes, less so than Garegga's and MUCH less so than Bakraid's. You don't know how many times an enemy shot will angle past the center of my craft, barely graze the very back of it, and still kill me...in the other games that pretty much never happens to me. Who knows...
Rob wrote:Cave should be OK, since everyone likes them
...except the most fiercely vocal and opinionated members of this forum, almost without exception. :P
Hidden Gem might be a problem because nothing hidden is any good.
Stick an "almost" into that phrase and I'd agree with you.
CIT

Post by CIT »

Rob wrote:Hidden Gem might be a problem because nothing hidden is any good.
So why do you like Biometal then?
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

more than 3 people like biometal
unban shw
CIT

Post by CIT »

...but less than ten.

Thus: hidden gem
Rob

Post by Rob »

People just hate Bio Metal. It's not really hidden.

A hidden gem would be if Imperium was any good. I never see that mentioned. But it sucks.
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Rob wrote: A hidden gem would be if Imperium was any good. I never see that mentioned. But it sucks.
[Sadly] I think 'hidden' (with a few exceptions) entails emu only. (Of course, I'm not saying that emu only implies hidden.)
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Randorama wrote:Btw zomg ban namakoteam plz (So BM will not protest that i only invoke his ban :lol: )