STGT 2k6- Week #2 Armed Police Batrider

landshark

Re: yes

Post by landshark »

Icarus wrote: I reckon most will get assraped by Grubby if and when they get to it. ^_-
Just got to him for the first time (on 1cc). Stupid red puff bombs. I even drew envy and killed him without dying this time (though he didn't let out his purple bouncing lasers).

Any tips for the 2nd cannon midboss in level 6? I got past his super-spread (the *really* fast one just before he dies) with pure luck. Is that an aimed attack or is there a safe spot?

This game is pretty frustrating in that if you lose your medal chain in a level with lots of medals, you might as well restart. The game I got to grubby, I only had 4.2 million. And other games, I've had 5 million by the end of level 5. Dirty scoring mechanisms.

I can't even figure out level 1. I start by letting out a bomb and sometimes rack up 120-130k by the time my bomb runs out. Other times I only get 80k.
SiKrAiKeN: While I don't think everyone here -is- a Ninja Turtle, I DO believe everyone here has the potential to be a Ninja Turtle. No doubt.
Icarus

Re: yes

Post by Icarus »

landshark wrote:Any tips for the 2nd cannon midboss in level 6? I got past his super-spread (the *really* fast one just before he dies) with pure luck. Is that an aimed attack or is there a safe spot?
That attack is aimed, so no safe hiding places. It'll only fire that spread attack if the turrets on the main part of the wall have been destroyed (not the ones dotted around it that fire double laser bullets). You should be able to destroy it before it even gets a chance to fire the fast spread attack anyway.
landshark wrote:This game is pretty frustrating in that if you lose your medal chain in a level with lots of medals, you might as well restart. The game I got to grubby, I only had 4.2 million. And other games, I've had 5 million by the end of level 5. Dirty scoring mechanisms.
Welcome to Battle Garegga 2. Scenery bombing and boss milking aplenty.

Its imperative you learn to not only quickly raise your Medal values to max, but to keep them at max for as long as possible. Whenever you increase a Medal chain from start, you lose 130k in points (using the formula (10k-100) + (10k-200) + (10k-300) and so on to (10k-9,000)), and you lose even more the longer it takes to get them back to maximum.
landshark wrote:I can't even figure out level 1. I start by letting out a bomb and sometimes rack up 120-130k by the time my bomb runs out. Other times I only get 80k.
Its to do with the small and large square grey boxes/posts and the mailboxes. They're worth between 10k and 30k each with a bomb/aura. Depending on how you position yourself and how you time your bomb (as well as how much of the screen the bomb covers, and how long it lasts), you can either catch a lot (130k+) or miss a lot (60-80k).
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Twiddle wrote:(For shits and giggles, always set the firing rate to #60 and hold the fire button down. You'll max rank out by stage 3!)
How much concrete info is there on exactly how rank works in this game? I've heard everything from a Bakraid-esque system (survival time/score) to something more akin to Garegga. Is there anything resembling a decent guide out there?
Edge

Post by Edge »

Edge - Team Germany - 2'130'210 - 4 - Silver Sword(A)/Strawman(A)/W.Snail(A)

Let's see if in this week I can finally get the hang of Batrider's scoring. :P
Rob

Post by Rob »

Rob - Feka Team - 3'772'250 - 5 - Strawman(A)

No replays team in here.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Twiddle wrote:There are no secret commands that influence enemy bullet speed.
The Sheep's Site suggests otherwise...is it a hoax/misprint?
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

BulletMagnet wrote:The Sheep's Site suggests otherwise...is it a hoax/misprint?
Misprint. Invincibility is a dipswitch setting, while the code for Bullet Speed (Start + A to increase or C to decrease) actually refers to your own ship's Shot Frequency - the higher the number, the faster your ship's autofire is.

And by the way, on The Sheep's page you linked, a little correction: you don't have to be in Single Select Mode to access the Galaxy Valhallyzer (Gain's big-ass powership), you can access it with Team Select as well, as long as you drop an Extend first, then pick up an Option with an Optionless Gain, or suicide to switch to Gain and pick up the next Option to appear.

I just had some fun with the GV, pretty badass. The size of it is a bit misleading as it still has the same size hitbox as regular ships. ^_-
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Icarus wrote:the code for Bullet Speed (Start + A to increase or C to decrease) actually refers to your own ship's Shot Frequency - the higher the number, the faster your ship's autofire is.
Hm, thanks for the clarification...in that case, does the "Garegga method" of increasing the autofire rate (tapping the shot button and then holding it, as listed on the Sheep's page) also work in Batrider, or do you need to do the hold-the-start-button thing?
crithit5000

Post by crithit5000 »

crithit5000 - SBST - 2,045,680 - 3 - Shorty (A)

Fucked up and dropped medals about halfway through... :oops:
now tighter than your sister
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

BulletMagnet wrote:
Icarus wrote:the code for Bullet Speed (Start + A to increase or C to decrease) actually refers to your own ship's Shot Frequency - the higher the number, the faster your ship's autofire is.
Hm, thanks for the clarification...in that case, does the "Garegga method" of increasing the autofire rate (tapping the shot button and then holding it, as listed on the Sheep's page) also work in Batrider, or do you need to do the hold-the-start-button thing?
Yes, however it is easier to use the Start + A or C to control your Shot Frequency. I have Start mapped to the left shoulder trigger on a Saturn-style USB pad for easier access to the code. The tap+hold method can give you some very messy auto rates if done incorrectly (as is the case with Garegga).
msm

Post by msm »

msm - Underdogs - 906'360 - 3 - not a flipping clue!

can anyone recommend 3 ships that are not too fast? i don't mind the medium speed ones but just die straight away with the fast ones :( idealy three ships that are the same speed :? i find learning how to dodge the bullets in this very hard when the ship keeps changing speed :?

also how do you know what the ships are called? - edit - the answer to this is going to be staring me right in the face isn't it :?

thanks,
msm
Super Laydock

Post by Super Laydock »

msm wrote: also how do you know what the ships are called? - edit - the answer to this is going to be staring me right in the face isn't it :?
indeed. :)

just look at the character profile when selecting your team!

Ps. if you like 1 ship better than all others and want a complete team consisting of just that ship...

at title screen press: u,u,d,d,l,r,l,r,b,a, and then start. choose the now selectable 4th option after the course choosing and pick your ship!
Barroom hero!
Bathroom hero!
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

This'll probably be the slowest-moving score thread in the whole tournament. ^_-
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

The Coop - The Old Schoolers - 3,242,600 - Stage 5 - Strawman x 3

Took me a while to find a ship that I liked. Some felt too damned fast, while others had huge spread shots that didn't work well for me. Between this one, Shorty and Tag-T, I think I may have found something to my liking. Thus far, this the best I've done.

And does MamePlus not save hi scores for this game? Every time I come back, my old scores are gone.
Fighter17
Banned User

Post by Fighter17 »

Don't forget guys, you might win Thunder Force IV JP Megadrive complete if you have the luckly rank number once this week ends (by Super Laydock)!

Start praying! :D
howmuchkeefe

Post by howmuchkeefe »

howmuchkeefe - The Old Schoolers - 1,054,070 - Stage 3 - ???

pic: http://img456.imageshack.us/img456/9950/batriderlx2.jpg

Made during my first playthroughs of the game. Now I can make 650-700k on stage one, but I get murdered during stage two.
Tvspelsfreak.

Post by Tvspelsfreak. »

Been playing all night. :)

Tvspelsfreak - Team Sweden - 5,621,130 - 6 - Strawman (A) - FBA-XXX
sven666

Post by sven666 »

argh its been far to long since i played this, i dont know why because THIS GAME IS SO GODDAMN GOOD!!!! i love it..

expect alot higher to come, i think im gonna put my personal life on pause for the duration of this contest ;)
the destruction of everything, is the beginning of something new. your whole world is on fire, and soon, you'll be too..
DEL

ST8

Post by DEL »

DEL - 7,105,490 - Stage 8 - Carpet (A)
( I always put up 'DED' on bad scores & No that's not me in the background)

The Start + tap A to increase shot rate doesn't work on the Korean board I'm playing. This won't help with Deviate, but I suppose I beat Deviate on the Special Course with the same setting so....
Smraedis

Post by Smraedis »

Smraedis - namakoteam - 3,295,360 - Stage 5 - Strawman (A) - [MAME]

Pic here
The Unknown? I'm the one who knows!
My shmup achievements | and my Superplays!
Rob

Re: ST8

Post by Rob »

DEL wrote: I always put up 'DED' on bad scores
Take that, everyone else on chart! When DEL has a bad game he's still far better than you. :P
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Argh! Grubby! You git! >.<#

ADVANCED COURSE
Icarus - namakoteam - 6,815,140 - Stage 6 - Strawman (A) - [WolfMAME]

Image Image

Blitzed my way though the first five stages - safe play, with minimal milking - and straight past Blunt. Dropped Medals for the first time late into the stage, and made it to Grubby. Not a nice thing when ranked up to all hell and back. -_-;;

Need to re-evaluate my suicide strategies a bit, for both scoring and rank control.
Last edited by Icarus on Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DEL

Rob will win the Tournament - just watch..

Post by DEL »

Rob wrote;

Take that, everyone else on chart! When DEL has a bad game he's still far better than you.
Naah! I suck so far :? - Wait 'til Icarus drops the bomb!

(I'm messing up rank badly & suffering the consequences on the final 2 stages :x ).
msm

Post by msm »

Super Laydock wrote:
msm wrote: also how do you know what the ships are called? - edit - the answer to this is going to be staring me right in the face isn't it :?
indeed. :)

just look at the character profile when selecting your team!

Ps. if you like 1 ship better than all others and want a complete team consisting of just that ship...

at title screen press: u,u,d,d,l,r,l,r,b,a, and then start. choose the now selectable 4th option after the course choosing and pick your ship!

msm - Underdogs - 2'408'670 - 5 - D.D.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

msm wrote:can anyone recommend 3 ships that are not too fast?
If you want "exact" ideas as to how fast each ship is, head over to The Sheep's site and check the "instruction cards" area...one of the images in there has exact speed ratings displayed (from 1-12, I think) for each character. Though that'd porbably vary some depending on whether you choose a "speed up" type character or not.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

A lot of players pick Strawman, Golden or Maria from the Batrider group, Silver Sword and Grasshopper from the Garegga team, Bornnam and Car-Pet from the Mahou team. They have good to speedy movement.

Where is everyone? I take it from the apparent lack of activity that people are struggling with the game...? ^_-

Paging Cigs to the score thread!
Edge

Post by Edge »

Making some progress:

Edge - Team Germany - 3'866'510 - 5 - Strawman (A)

So Icarus/Del, can you give some little tips on how to control rank?
As I have no idea what affects it. So does it depend on shots fires (i.e. is it a good idea to do the start+a trick?), or score.

You don't have to spoil your most beloved secrets. Just some hints to spread the love for Raizing games among other users. :)
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Okay, a freebie tip on rank control:

From practice and observation, it is affected by Shot Power and Life Count. The way control rank is to limit your Shot strength and rely on charged attacks (Options don't appear to factor into it as much as Shot power does). The ways to decrease it is to suicide (decrease amounts are stock-based like in Garegga, the less you have in stock, the higher the rank drop), limit life stock, and drop Extends.

You can tell how high rank is by the speed of bullets and the speed that items drop at.

Raizing players will be comfortable with doing this. Newcomers will have to make do with limiting Shot power first, and using bombs to stay alive. Those in the know will make use of the Special Extends that appear when certain conditions are met. More on that and other secrets here:

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=71

And read the GD thread if you need to know about scoring tricks, I posted a ton of them a while back, and a list of optimal scoring targets as well. People should be looking through the GD thread anyway. ^_-

@Twiddle:
Are you sure that shot frequency affects rank as well? I usually have my shot rate at a higher amount than default (Strawman (A) defaults at 15, I'm usually on 20 or 30), and I haven't noticed any substantial rank increase due to it.
MrMonkeyMan

Post by MrMonkeyMan »

MrMonkeyMan - Team Cowboy - 4,915,380 - Stage 5 - Carpet(A) - Mame
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

JUST missed the second extend.

BulletMagnet - Team Loser - 2,978,610 - Stage 5 - Car-Pet (C)

I'm getting a bit better at survival, but medaling in this game is absolutely maddening, it tries ten times as hard as Garegga does to rob you of your chain. Well, back to work...
From practice and observation
Someone's really gotta "Do a Garegga" on this one and hack the ROM to get to the bottom of this, since Raizing's never considered actually telling its players how to play properly very high on its list of priorities. :P

Also, someone might want to clarify which "ship type" listing is correct: the one on Sheep's site (Shot/Bomber/Option/Speed) or on the SD linked above (Shot/Option/Shot + Option/Speed). Considering the record of the former's listings, my money's on the latter.