Disney's Vic Viper III: Lightyear XL-07 Test Launch

Submit your reviews here - please see guidelines topic
Sturmvogel Prime

Disney's Vic Viper III: Lightyear XL-07 Test Launch

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

Time to review another of those Disney-Pixar Lightyear toys.

You've probably remembered when I've said that the only thing left was a Lego XL-07 in the Lightyear toyline. Well, we've might not have one due to the commercial failure of the film, but at least we've got a different, yet better surprise.
This one is perhaps unique 'cos we're talking about the third version of the Not-Vic Viper: XL-07 Test Launch by Mattel.

https://i.imgur.com/HqT0WNz.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/rbTA8gH.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/WL5ybjr.jpg

The unofficial Vic Viper is back again and this time does it in a much larger scale. To be exact, this is a 39cm long ship big enough for 5 inch figures. Unlike the old aircraft from G.I. Joe which required adult assisted assembly, the XL-07 only needs to attach the tail with a one-time assembly that keeps the piece permanently making it impossible to detach, just like the tails in Jurassic World Dominion's dinosaurs. For some reason, the tail piece was molded in soft rubber like plastic, along with the blue tips on the noses of the sides. I don't like that kind of plastic since it gets sticky on contact when dust falls on those pieces. I know this since I have Transformers toys with that problem (Cybertron Vector Prime and Star Wars Transformers Darth Vader Tie Interceptor for instance).

Back to the XL-07, the ship design was made slightly more compact than the HyperSpeed version, almost like an F-Zero car as the wings were shortened a bit and the cockpit section is wider. Other major changes was the colorscheme. Now it has more blue detailing on the side noses and the tail, making it look a little bit more like the Salamander 2 version of the Vic Viper, while retaining the Gradius V-like gray intake with red linings. Due to its size, the landing gear now has a free wheel function.

Unused "Missile Attachment" holes?

If we saw the ship from the bottom, we will notice four rectangular holes between the landing gear which are not mentioned on the package.
¿Does these were intended to hold a missile accessory? This is a mystery that really needs an explanation. If you know somethin' let me know so I can update the review.

UPDATE: Oct. 13th, 2022 - Thanks to a video review from Dan the Pixar Fan, it was revealed that those holes are meant to attach the ship to the Crawler Launchpad from the Ultimate Star Command Base playset which can also be used with the Armadillo, the Test and Crash XL-01 and Blast and Battle XL-15.

Size matters...Really matters.

For those who are curious about the size of this "Pixar Viper", just check the size comparison with an XBOX Series X controller, the book The Reader's Digest Great World Atlas and Triggerheart Exelica's Archive Anchor book.
That will give you a great idea of how big this toy is.

White cockpit, same gray pilot seat.

While the HyperSpeed XL-07 had an entire gray cockpit around the pilot seat, the Test Launch is white, except for the pilot seat which is dark gray, making it look like a single piece. This time, the cockpit and the seat are separate pieces and we can finally tell the difference between hull and pilot seat.

Unpainted dashboard: It's a hit and a miss.

The HyperSpeed version had a very decently detailed instruments dashboard, but it was unpainted. We've could justify the toy's size, but compared on how Mattel managed to paint the Buzz figure, there's simply no excuse. The XL-07 Test Launch has an even more detailed instrument panel with small screens and even IVAN (Internal Voice Activated Navigator) sculpted on it, but all of them in light gray plastic. This is basically a hit and a miss: Scores a hit on great detailing without the need of stickers on a flat plastic piece but a miss due to the lack of painting on the dashboard.
But there's a hole where IVAN is located.

Cheap solution to a considerable trouble.

One of the accessories is a detachable IVAN that Buzz can carry with him. You can plug it on the ship's dashboard to add a little more color to it, and to be honest, that's for the best.

https://i.imgur.com/ziCKhVI.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/BHsZ2CJ.jpg

This is the Buzz Lightyear figure that comes with the ship. Like the HyperSpeed Series XL-07, it is the green fighter jet-like suit which is kinda reminiscent of "Element" pilots of Delta Squadron from Airforce Delta Strike like Ken Thomas and John Rundal. Like I said on the HyperSpeed XL-07 review, the Airforce Delta Strike reference fits quite well since the Vic Viper was an unlockable jet in the game. Back with "Airforce Delta Buzz", the figure was meant to be compatible with other accesories and sets. Starting off with the squared hole on his back which I guess it is meant to plug the wings/jetpack that comes with the Buzz figure from the Blast & Battle XL-15 set. Speaking of the Blast & Battle XL-15, Buzz has holes on his feet to plug him on that ship to play with the ejection feature of the ship, I guess that would probably be the same as the rest of figures. So we have here a "Cross-Compatiblity" if you ask me.

Buzz ready for the draft at the Earth Defense Alliance Force.

One of his accesories is the space pilot helmet which is held by two small pegs on the neck part. It is, ironically, quite tricky to make it stay together with Buzz as one peg won't attach for some reason. Also, the plastic used on Buzz feels a little light and slightly cheap. The posability of the figure is quite decent with 14 articulation points: Head, shoulders (2), elbows (2), hands (2), waist, hips (2), knees (2) and feet (2). The only problem that I've found is that the hand articulation is not well defined like McFarlane's Halo figures and they look like if the hand and elbow were one single piece. When I've turned Buzz hand, I've thought I've broke the toy.

Buzz's new mission: Take the Crystal and run.
But he will be facing troubles if his sole weapon is a Flare Gun.

Along with the helmet, Buzz has two more items: The Crystal-like experimental fuel and an emergency flare gun since he didn't needed to fight or engage since the ship was meant for FTL (Faster Than Light) test flight.

XL-07 TEST CURIOSITIES

¿The Pixar Viper is actually XL-14?

- In the book El Libro de Disney-Pixar Lightyear by Penguin Libros the XL-07 is shown with the number 14.
- This detail is also seen in the movie 'cos the Pixar Viper is the penultimate entry in the XL series.

You snooze, you miss it. That was a very fast appearance.

- Unfortunately it is only seen for 2 seconds
(Probably to dodge any legal issues with Konami).
- This number swap is seen in the XL-14 toy which in the movie appears as XL-07. During the concepts it was depicted as XL-12 which the HyperSpeed Series carried to an Aleste-like ship.

The Vic Viper Family

What we can say? Mattel, Disney and Pixar really took the shmup fans by surprise with this set just like with the HyperSpeed Series and the Not-Parodius Happy Meal "Mo piloting the XL-07" toy.
Honestly, someone should REALLY inform Konami about this. Why? For Konami to sue Disney and Pixar? No. The answer is far different than that and is very clear: To officialize all these XL-07's 'cos they're basically Gradius toys and this Lightyear set in particular is "The Biggest Gradius toy not made by Konami". The same could apply for the HyperSpeed XL-14 and Happy Meal "Sox piloting the XL-14" since it is a Lord British look-alike. Just slap Konami's logo, a "GRADIUS: OFFICIAL LICENSED PRODUCT" and there you go.

ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Need to say more about this?
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki