Alienzix (PlayStation 4|5 - PC)

Submit your reviews here - please see guidelines topic
Sturmvogel Prime

Alienzix (PlayStation 4|5 - PC)

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

TRASHFALL FINAL (PART V)
MY FREAKIN' BRAIN JUST EXPLODED

KC Houseman's quote from Moonfall fits quite well here, 'cos trash gaming really wants to go beyond anything we can imagine.
For this review, we'll be checking Alienzix.

The best way to call this game will be "Idiocy Invaders".

The gameplay of Alienzix is a basic horizontal "Scroll-less" shooter, where you have to destroy all the based enemies before proceeding to the next area. To do this you'll be provided with not one, two, or five weapons, but 30 different weapons for a full destruction mayhem, this sounds fun since you can power up a weapon by picking it again kinda like in Raiden so you'll be testing weapons for the sake of both finding the most effective one and which are the ones that are useless since most of them have auto-fire and others require you to tap the X/R1 button non-stop, but not on Blazing Star thumb injuring levels. You are also granted an additional attack called Gravity, which captures the enemy bullets and toss them to a target below you, but you can't rely on it all the time since it consumes its own energy and it can only be replenished by a few bits after each level and killing enemies. You can select if you want to play solo or with a friend in local couch co-op, along with selecting one of the three difficulty levels: Easy, Normal and Hard, and that's all what it is to talk about the main gameplay mechanics of Alienzix.

This game is a Self-Scrolling Mess

After several one-screen levels, you'll finally be greeted with self-scrolling levels that make the game look a little more like a shmup, but on these levels you'll be suffering even more if you don't have a power up 'cos the game ultra-generous droppings are no longer present until the final level, which is Chapter 8, a vertical scrolling space stage. Suffering is the top priority of this game. since the game throws you stupid moves after another, starting off with lack of Analog Stick support, forcing you to use the D-Pad. That's the least of the problems, but the critical flaw of this is the speed of the ship, starting with a sluggish acceleration that requires to hold the control to move at a certain speed. Definitely, someone doesn't know how to work on speed controls like in the Thunder Force games. The game's constant item drop is way too generous, You can get like 10 items per second as if it was the Newalone rain in Metal Black, but that had its reason to be, here it becomes annoying 'cos you will be dodging items because you will not want to swap a good weapon for a crappy one by accident. Now, add uneven conditions for 2 Player mode, since Player 1 ship has the Gravity sub-weapon, while the second player lacks of it and has the Acceleration move which increases his/her speed. Also, Player 2 can control the aim of the ship while Player 1 can't, and takes more damage than the first player. Speaking of damages, the "Oh, so common" Turridamage is present and you'll be suffering from it non-stop. Keep in mind, the game has no continues. So, if you lose all of your lives is back to Chapter 1, and Chapters are comprised of a few stages.

CONGLATURATION!
THIS STORY IS HAPPY END.
WITHOUT THE VIDEO GAME LET'S TRY ANYTHING ELSE.

Just as I expected from a crap game. A crap ending that doesn't care to justify all of your problems. It gives you a special code for you, the only thing left to do is to check out what does the code do.

Are you stupid enough to play this again?

The code enables a Cheat Mode where you can skip levels and increase the length of the last level.
But to put it simple, I just don't care anymore 'cos that's the point where I uninstall the game of my PS4.

A boring journey to space.

The graphics ...OH...MY...LORD... I swear these have to be the sorriest visuals I've ever seen on an indie shmup, the backgrounds are plain pathetic landscapes that makes the Sega Master System look like the PlayStation 3, this attempt to resemble an 2000's PC shmup is the worst thing possible, the graphic quality is more like Windows Millenium barfing on our PlayStation.
The sound department is repulsive as hell. A "Beep!...Beep-boo-boo-boop!, Beep!...Beep-boo-boo-boop!" that sounds repetitive as hell. Is as bad as the Milli Vanilli's lip-sync fail. Yeah, its the "Girl you know it's Girl you know it's Girl you know it's Girl you know it's Girl you know it's" of shmups that no one wants to hear. This game also has a few voice samples that pronounces the weapons with a japanese accent: "Leisaa", "Homingu", etc. as if the developer tried to make the game look like an obscure japanese shmup, but fails on its purpose. I saw better japanese doujin shmups across the 'net.

Indeed. Hope I don't have to face more trash one of these days.

Alienzix is definitely one of the worst PlayStation 4 shmups I've ever had the disgrace to play, and a trash game experience no one deserves. Whoever is in charge of the PlayStation Store should be fired.

Looks like Lea's sanity is "Gonna go boom".
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki