Breakthrough Gaming's Space (PlayStation 4 - Playstation 5)

Submit your reviews here - please see guidelines topic
Sturmvogel Prime

Breakthrough Gaming's Space (PlayStation 4 - Playstation 5)

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

Kinda odd that Breakthrough Gaming released the sequel first and the first one later.
Well, here's Part X of Breakthrough Gaming's "Trash-a-thon" and second BG's shmup review. Today's review: Breakthrough Gaming's Space.

Need a check run of all the trash game's I've ripped apart?
Here's Sturmvogel Prime's "Breakthrough Gaming Saga" of reviews.

I - Space 2
II - Football
III - Avoid Them
IV - Baseball
V - Racing
VI - Skateboarding
VII - Track
VIII - Catch The Bowling Balls
IX - Baseball "Challenge Mode Edition"

The poor man's version of Space Invaders.

Space's gameplay is what we can call a Space Invaders clone, as the objective is to take all of the smileys down. However, you can't hit ALL of them, 'cos there's the "Civilians" that you should avoid to hit them. This "Don't hit the civilians" rule is common on gun games like Steel Gunner 2 and Terminator 2: The Arcade Game, it's quite unusual to see it on a shmup. You can tell the difference between good and bad since the civilians run across the screen and the bad guys are static on the top in a Galaga-like formation. Hitting a civilian or crashing with them once is Game Over, and so if the time runs out. In Level 5, the game climbs the difficulty by putting civilians moving vertically, so you just don't have to avoid shooting them, but also avoid to crash with them, all of this while the time is running and you have to take all the bad smileys down. Aside of that, the enemy pattern never varies from its two configurations: 1 stage with 6 on top and 4 below, and the 8 on top, 6 in the middle, 4 on the bottom. Yeah, 10 and 18, ten and eighteen until you pull the plug on playing the game, and that's basically all what it is to say about Breakthrough Gaming's Space.

Congratulations!, You've got 3,500 points and all the trophies.
Now uninstall this game for good.

Like any other Breakthrough Gaming (and any trash game you've played), its only purpose, its only reason to exist is to give you cheap trophies. I've already mentioned how these trash games are the "Junk Food" of gaming in many, many of my reviews, but this is an abomination for the Playstation 4 and a direct insult to the PlayStation 5. I mean, you're not gonna buy a $400 console to play a sad, pathetic attempt to a videogame right? Of course not!

Right now I need God's help to deal with this onslaught of trash games.

The lesson of this game is about being good to yourself, being kind to everyone and have the Holy Spirit as your guide in life. I'm sure God is not too happy to see how the Ephesians are used on a horrible game like this one. I mean, Wisdom Tree's Spiritual Warfare, Bible Buffet and Bible Adventures were one excerpt of the Bible after another, but even there, the games were far more playable and enjoyable.
Also, it's kinda ironic that you're asking me to be good. ¿But how I can be good with your product if you're not even making an effort to make the game at least visually appealing?. Even bad shooters like Space Blaze, Blastful and Stellatum at least had better graphics than this. I mean, I've could call this a "pretty game" if the game designer was a 4 year old kindergarten student who learned how to use Game Maker on a computer, but Myron Kevan Tynes Jr., the "funny guy" behind these horrendous games, IS NOT FOUR YEARS OLD. ¿Remember Don't Buy This: Five of the Worst Games Ever?, Even that Anti-game compilation might be more fun than the whole Breakthrough Gaming Arcade series.

And FLYYYYYYYYYYYYYY AWAAAAAAAY FROM HEEEEERE!
Aaaaaanywheeeeere. Yeah! I don't care.
We just flyyyyyyy awaaaaaay from heeeeere
Our hooooopes and dreeeaaams are out there somewheeeeere.

Graphics and sound, yeah, I'm gonna sum those two up in a shot: If you've played Space 2 or any other game of Breakthrough Gaming's Arcade series, you'll be familiarized with this bad monochrome stuff. Your ship, if we can call it like that, looks like a house made by a baby with two wooden blocks. I've already mentioned how the use of smileys reminds me of the Shooting Gallery game of Air-Sea Battle. Yeah, it's like Air-Sea Battle with Space Invaders, but in its more pathetic and sorriest edition. Even Air-Sea Battle and the Atari 2600 port of Space Invaders were much more colorful than this. As for the sound: The title-stage clear music and the Game Over tune. Sound effects are also pathethic. Your only SE in the whole game is this "Brrrm!" that sounds like a crappy jump-step sound everytime you shoot down an enemy and that's the graphics and sounds of Breakthrough Gaming's Space for you.

Oh, my review offended you? Guess who's to blame for that.
Need a bucket for your tears?
HAAAAA-HAHAHAHAHAHA!!

It might be harsh with what I've said throughout the review, but I'm sure God will agree with me this time since I don't think he will like to see how he's involved in such abominations. Anyway, Breakthrough Gaming's Space is the sorriest shmup you can possibly imagine, with horrible done on zero-budget graphics.
With this I'll be closing the very short list of trash shmups made by this developer. The only "Breakthrough Gaming Arcade" game left to review would be Get to the Top which still has to be released on both PS4 and 5.

Forget the bucket, someone bring a swimming pool for their tears.
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki