The WORST Shooter you have ever played...

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
elvis

Post by elvis »

cigsthecat wrote:TLDR
ADD.

YHBTYHLHAND.

On topic: Sol Divide was a recent-ish title that looked pretty enough until I actually played it. What a steaming sack of disappointment that title was. Not the *worst* by any means, but definitely in my personal bottom 10.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

No, wait everyone, Recap likes Sol Divide.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

And beside that, "worst" must presuppose "badly realized". In order to judge a game "badly realized", one has to have a clue on how a game works. Can't see many posters here with such a clue, including some people that should have been immune from n00bism...

and then Rob likes Giga Wing Generations, why don't we tell people this unpleasant truth, eh?!1 :x
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
freddiebamboo

Post by freddiebamboo »

elvis wrote:
cigsthecat wrote:TLDR
ADD.

YHBTYHLHAND.

I'm getting better at internet stuff!

http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/YHBTYHLHAND

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=TLDR

I can't find out what ADD means though. Unless it is attention deficit disorder.
Last edited by freddiebamboo on Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

@rando - You clearly didn't have a clue on Gradius not too long ago, so why not stepping down from the altar and being more tolerant with n00bs, huh?
X - P - B
jp

Post by jp »

twe wrote:Super God Trooper Zeroigar for the PC-FX. I owned a PC-FX and that game for a bit, but man is that game a piece of garbage.

Interesting... I seem to recall putting many enjoyable hours into 1CCing that one.

Great music, colorful graphics, awesome bosses.

Oh shit I forgot, it had a life bar and leveling up. What the fuck were they thinking? :lol:
Last edited by jp on Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!!!!
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Turrican wrote:@rando - You clearly didn't have a clue on Gradius not too long ago, so why not stepping down from the altar and being more tolerant with n00bs, huh?
No tolerance with the infidels! WE NEED TO BE BORN WITH THE SHMUPS MARK OF TRUTH AND 2D!!1! (?)

But seriously, some people here are dissing excellent titles just because they don't like them. It's a no-no: I hate Ikaruga, but i would never, ever dream of putting in a "worst" list, dammit :bangs punch on the throne:

So people, think hard before dissing gems like Sol Divide :x
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Randorama wrote:No tolerance with the infidels! WE NEED TO BE BORN WITH THE SHMUPS MARK OF TRUTH AND 2D!!1! (?)

But seriously, some people here are dissing excellent titles just because they don't like it. It's a no-no: I hate Ikaruga, but i would never, ever dream of putting in a "worst" list, dammit :bangs punch on the throne:

Perhaps they just refuse your basic assumption that "worst" must imply badly realized. Or that they have to understand mechanics in order to criticize.
X - P - B
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

jp wrote:
twe wrote:Super God Trooper Zeroigar for the PC-FX. I owned a PC-FX and that game for a bit, but man is that game a piece of garbage.

Interesting... I seem to recall putting many enjoyable hours into 1CCing that one.

Oh shit I forgot, it had a life bar and leveling up. What the fuck were they thinking? :lol:
For a minute I thought you were talking about God Panic....and I was very, very afraid.
jp

Post by jp »

Randorama wrote:
Turrican wrote:@rando - You clearly didn't have a clue on Gradius not too long ago, so why not stepping down from the altar and being more tolerant with n00bs, huh?
No tolerance with the infidels! WE NEED TO BE BORN WITH THE SHMUPS MARK OF TRUTH AND 2D!!1! (?)

But seriously, some people here are dissing excellent titles just because they don't like it. It's a no-no: I hate Ikaruga, but i would never, ever dream of putting in a "worst" list, dammit :bangs punch on the throne:

I agree with you 100%.

I don't like Cave at all. But I'd be an idiot to come in here and start saying that DDP is the worst game ever, despite so many people enjoying it.

I just think a lot of folks here have steered clear of REAL "bad games" (i.e. Planet Joker) and thus they think "mediocre" equates to "horrible" for whatever reason.

Or they could just do like Brian and state that they do not like certain games. He said he did not like Blast Wind and Hyper Duel. Fine, thats an opinion. Calling them horrible games? That would be quite silly indeed.

Or people dissing shmups with lifebars or that do something different on some "One shot to kill them all, and in a pattern bind them, one system defines them all, and if they stray don't buy them" type shit.

Whatever.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Turrican wrote:
Perhaps they just refuse your basic assumption that "worst" must imply badly realized. Or that they have to understand mechanics in order to criticize.
Refusing gravity would be the next step, i assume! But nothing's impossible when our species tries hard :lol:
jp

Post by jp »

Damocles wrote:
jp wrote:

For a minute I thought you were talking about God Panic....and I was very, very afraid.

I don't think I've ever even played God Panic.

But Super God Trooper Zeroigar was by no means a bad game. It just strayed VERY far from any traditional shmup "definitions". But it had some really cool moments in it (last few levels in particular).
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Its very difficult to make a 'worst games' thread without opinion creeping into it anyway, and like all opinions, they're going to conflict with other peoples.

There are some absolutely hideously made games that defy reason though. Fuzzy Shooting on SNES. Now thats wrong on all levels. And Toilet Kids on the PCE.
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

I came into this thread looking for games to play that were objectively bad (like Sky Soldiers) and was severely disappointed.

You guys suck at hating video games.
so long and tanks for all the spacefish
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays
Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke »

I whole heartedly agree with the Divine Sealing comment...that game is simply ugh

Image Fight for NES is rather appauling.
Two Tenkaku, Philosoma, and Air Duel seem to come to mind. Gun Frontier might be pretty lame nowadays too.
'Only a fool trusts his life to a weapon.'
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Limbrooke wrote:Gun Frontier might be pretty lame nowadays too.
BLASPHEMY!

Gun Frontier's graphics haven't aged too well, but the game is still lots of fun. ^_-
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

jp wrote: But Super God Trooper Zeroigar was by no means a bad game. It just strayed VERY far from any traditional shmup "definitions". But it had some really cool moments in it (last few levels in particular).
I found the game ridiculously boring with terrible enemy design, patterns, bosses, and overall gameplay. Graphics are average Duo-quality, music was forgettable. Had some cool anime scenes in between rounds, but that's about it. It's hard for me to find a shmup I enjoyed less than this one.
Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke »

Icarus wrote:
Limbrooke wrote:Gun Frontier might be pretty lame nowadays too.
BLASPHEMY!

Gun Frontier's graphics haven't aged too well, but the game is still lots of fun. ^_-
Nope I gave it another go and blah.
All slow and and no fun makes Jack a dull boy. Dull would be another apt description. In all honesty, it does nothing for me.
Yeah perhaps Garegga has a bit to owe to this game but not aged well (overall) would be putting it lightly. :P
Speaking of which another Taito game is Gekirindan which blows chunks.
Oh yes, Silpheed The Lost Planet is boring ass too.
Last edited by Limbrooke on Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:20 am, edited 4 times in total.
'Only a fool trusts his life to a weapon.'
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Icarus wrote:Its very difficult to make a 'worst games' thread without opinion creeping into it anyway, and like all opinions, they're going to conflict with elementary logic and straightfoward reasoning.
Fixed a bit -__-

There are some absolutely hideously made games that defy reason though. Fuzzy Shooting on SNES. Now thats wrong on all levels. And Toilet Kids on the PCE.
I happen to remember a clone of R-type that was completely pedestrian. was it Blazeon?
ED-057

Post by ED-057 »

check out 1943 for Amiga
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Randorama wrote:I happen to remember a clone of R-type that was completely pedestrian. was it Blazeon?
You mean this? Yeah, its quite poor. Also Rezon, an arcade release. And several Amiga games too.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Dale

Post by Dale »

I'm suprized Action52 hasn't been mentioned yet.

EDIT:D Force looks awesome can you find it on emulater. :wink:
I did great so much water and milk that I threw up when I was little.
Rob

Post by Rob »

The dino is only fun to laugh at. It sucks. SNES game, so emu'd yes.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

I like how they've laid these fat blobs over what was gradually becoming a thin tail. Can't go wrong with a grossly herpetic maw, either.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

I think Rob wins the thread. Absolutely classic.
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Deep Blue. Great name, sucky game. At least it's hard.
elvis

Post by elvis »

freddiebamboo wrote:I'm getting better at internet stuff!

http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/YHBTYHLHAND

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=TLDR

I can't find out what ADD means though. Unless it is attention deficit disorder.
http://www.acronymfinder.com

ADD = Attention Deficit Disorder. In direct response to the "Too Long, Didn't Read" comment. If only the internet was like a giant picture book, eh? :P
Randorama wrote:So people, think hard before dissing gems like Sol Divide :x
No trolling intended: you are honest to god the very first individual I have ever come across who would call the title a "gem". I'm actually quite surprised at this. Generally in any "what's the best/worst game" thread there are a fairly even amount of people who love/hate any one particular game.

Just as you and others have referred to, there's the even split of DDP or Ikaruga lovers/haters. But Sol Divide is one I'm quite honestly surprised to find even one fan of. If anything, that only makes me want to sit down and play it some more to find out exactly what the appeal is. We still have the PCB in storage, despite the fact that we've been trying to sell it for over 6 months, and haven't even been offered $10 for it.
gunbird18

Post by gunbird18 »

Skull Fang is so disappointing! I got rid of it fast! So that would be the worst I have played!
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

Rob wrote:Image
What the fuck is that shit?
so long and tanks for all the spacefish
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays
CIT

Post by CIT »

Twiddle wrote:What the fuck is that shit?
D-Force, can't you read?