question about sega arcade classics on the gba.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
TVG

question about sega arcade classics on the gba.

Post by TVG »

is there a way to turn reverse controls mode in space harrier?
what about after burner?
also, do you know how faithful these games are compared to their originals? haven't played those in a looong while.
TVG

Post by TVG »

waiiiit....
there's an options menu -_-
it's so tiny that i didnt see it, mods please delete this topic.
or not if you dont mind, i would still like to know how arcade perfect the ports are, if possible.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

The ports aren't arcade perfect.

The handling for Out Run and Super Hang On seems to be a bit different. It's a bit tighter in Super Hang On and a slight bit looser in Out Run. Almost like the reverse of the arcade, but the handling is still good in both games. The levels of Super Hang On have been altered a bit and some are easier or harder than they should be. The score in Super Hang On has been set way too high.

Some enemies are a bit faster in Space Harrier. The bullets are faster, but don't travel in the same manner as the arcade version. The speed up sections of Space Harrier aren't speed up sections any more in the GBA version. However, these are still good ports IMO and the GBA Space Harrier is certainly better than the screen hogging GG version. Not sure if the TG-16 one is better for portable use, though.

Afterburner is a port of the original Afterburner, so there are no afterburners that can be used to speed up the plane. I don't think it's as bad of a port as some reviews make it out to be, but the bullets are small and hard to dodge in the GBA version.

This topic is off topic, but I would like to see it moved rather than deleted. I personally love this GBA collection, though I am disappointed that the ports aren't arcade perfect. But they are good ports and portable. There's always Shenmue II for more arcade perfect ports and Afterburner II.
TVG

Post by TVG »

thanks for the detailed review, so there is only minor differences, i dont mind, i thought that there will be huge scaling down of the difficulty and stuff, since in one review at gamefaqs, a dude mentioned getting to 14rd stage on his first play, wich seems pretty impossible on the arcade version...he probably credit fed it or something.

altho im going to miss the speed sections :(

didnt know it was off topic, the french shmup site reviews space harrier and after burner as a shmup, so i thought it would fit.

and i also got gradius galaxies again :D (gradius generations in the US i think)
i had it, but lost it like a dumbass...damn teh tiny cartidges!
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Yeah, I put a bunch of tiny GBA cartridges into a plastic bag becuase they don't all fit in the case and it's really hard searching for them. The difficulty of Space Harrier is a bit easier, but it doesn't seem like it was intentionally toned down. The bullets aren't as accurate in GBA version, though they are fast.