Console versions that offer nothing special from the arcade

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Ganelon

Console versions that offer nothing special from the arcade

Post by Ganelon »

I'm specifically curious about the 3 unpopular Taito shooters for the Saturn (minus Kyukyoku Tiger II Plus since it's obviously enhanced). If I'm not mistaken, Gun Frontier, Metal Black, and Gekirindan offer absolutely nothing special from the arcade version like an anime movie, arranged music, extra stage, or a special revised Saturn mode, right?
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

Right... But you should STILL buy them!
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Of course! I just wanted to know where my purchasing priorities should be. It annoys the hell outta me that Gekirindan has such an interesting anime cover but no anime scenes (then again, I could say the same for Batsugun). Thanks for the confirmation!
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

Ya know, Metal Black is so uninteresting......
Neon

Post by Neon »

Gekirindan's an okish game in the arcade, but the saturn port is really bad iirc. Go for the pcb or mame
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Saturn Gekirindan just looks ugly, right? Or was there something beyond the cosmetic appearance?
Skyline

Post by Skyline »

Crap scaling, terrible load times...

The fact that Layer Section was such a great port only puts an exclaimation point on how crap Saturn Gekirindan is.

Edited because I was too lazy to check if there was a tate mode when I had this game :/
Last edited by Skyline on Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Huh? I've heard everywhere that Gekirindan does have a TATE option.
Ord

Post by Ord »

Gekirindan DOES have a tate mode. I was playing it yesterday. The graphics are poorer than the arcade version and it has to load before you have the boss battle.
I still think it's a pretty cool shooter though.
Ikaruga review now up in PLASMA BLOSSOM
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

Although Gekirindan isn't the best port, it is a long way from a terrible port. I mean, for all the people who argue about how playable Donpachi is on the Saturn, they should be cutting some slack for Gekirindan.

The jerky scrolling only takes place in a couple places EXTREMELY briefly (if it wasn't at the very beginning of level 1 I'd doubt anyone would say anything). As far as the loading times, yeah, they are there, and they aren't a beautiful thing, but they hardly destroy the game. This is a VERY playable port with a couple minor blemishes. That's a long way from the turd so many make it out to be.
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
SHMUP sale page.
Neon

Post by Neon »

I mean, for all the people who argue about how playable Donpachi is on the Saturn, they should be cutting some slack for Gekirindan.
I guess. I haven't played Saturn Gekirindan in a long time, my post was just a vague recollection.
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

Well, arcade Genkiridan is a lot better than Arcade Metal Black.

Metal Black is just too uninteresting, boring and bland.
zinger

Post by zinger »

Metal Black is pretty good imo. Needs a bit of time, that's all :)
Ord

Post by Ord »

I really enjoy Metal Black, however i do find that it's hard as fuck! Not a bad thing just a humiliating thing. :lol:
Ikaruga review now up in PLASMA BLOSSOM
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

I haven't given up on Metal Black yet, but it is definitely an aquired taste, and being super hard doesn't help.

Neon> Yeah, this is part of my problem--not what you've said but rather in the past dozens of posters who sold their copies of Gekirindan years ago (or perhaps never even played it) jumped on the bandwagon saying how miserable the port is. I'm just a bit tired of the Gekirindan hating because although it certainly is inferior to the PCB, it really aint that bad. There are many worse ports. I think the think with Gekirindan is that there is NO EXCUSE for it not to be arcade perfect. Given how much of it is an homage to Toaplan, and I can't imagine Truxton 2 not running flawlessly on the Saturn, why Gekirindan both looks a bit on the pixilated side and needs loading times before bosses is beyond me.

So definitely not perfect, but don't believe what others say--there is absolutely nothing wrong in the gameplay department with Geki, no slowdown or anything. Haha! And the later levels actually get sort of challenging!
SHMUP sale page.