Favourite cloud formation in a shmup!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
TerryPachi

Favourite cloud formation in a shmup!

Post by TerryPachi »

Hi there, I was wondering the other day what my favourite cloud formation/usage is in a shmup. Mine would have to be Silpheed The Lost Planet - 2nd level on PS2 and that new shmup Homura, on the 1st level. What's your favourites?
raiden

Post by raiden »

Strikers 1945 II has an excellent way to use alpha blending for the clouds, so the ground below becomes slowly visible as the clouds fade away.
Battle Garegga´s 5th stage with the lightning bursts between two cloud layers is another fine example.
LoneSage

Post by LoneSage »

Twinbee Yahho :P

Actually, I really like those clouds in the beginning of the second stage of Gaiares as you're descending. The ship's moving so fast it gives the appearance of the clouds moving upwards in a diagonal direction, giving the player an incredibl sense of speed.

As mentioned by raiden, the clouds in Battle Garegga with the lightning is awesome.

I'm trying to think of more; I liked that part in Ikaruga when you're descending you go through the clouds...
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Pop'n Twinbee, best clouds evah.

what a cool topic, asking about clouds. very romantic.
X - P - B
Darkcomet72

Post by Darkcomet72 »

I liked the Clouds in Stage 3 of Soukyugurentai, as you desend onto the ground.
Ed: He asked for mustard Eddy! Do you have corn in your ears mister?
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

Detana Twinbee, that shooter has some beautiful skies and vistas. I especially like the stage where you're flying over the ocean and you can see little islands far below.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I like the could formations in Super Xevious Famicom. You can actually enter some of the clouds to travel to other areas of the game.
TerryPachi

Post by TerryPachi »

Some nice examples there. A good example that Soukyugurentai one, when you emerge from the clouds on the 3rd level and can see the tanks on the ground. Whoever thought of that was an outright genius.
ccovell

Post by ccovell »

I always liked in the Parodius games, and in L-Dis on the PC-Engine that the clouds almost looked like faces/ people locked in sexual positions. :wink:
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

How could I forget the cool lightning clouds from Garegga and the cloud descent in Souky which Raiden and terry mentioned.
cigsthecat

Post by cigsthecat »

I think it's safe to say we've run out of topics at this point.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Super Mario Land has a cool shmup stage where you shoot at clouds that throw birds at you. I know the game is not a shmup, but the stage definatly is. Is it ok to talk about shmup stages within non shmups?
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

BrianC wrote:Super Mario Land has a cool shmup stage where you shoot at clouds that throw birds at you. I know the game is not a shmup, but the stage definatly is. Is it ok to talk about shmup stages within non shmups?
Definitely OK. And don't forget the submarine stage, that's a shmup too. I posted a thread on TNL last month about how unique Super Mario Land is. It's like Mario, a bit of Alex Kidd and a little shmup action thrown in. The thread is here if ya wanna check it out:

http://www.the-nextlevel.com/board/show ... hp?t=34617
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Dylan1CC wrote:
BrianC wrote:Super Mario Land has a cool shmup stage where you shoot at clouds that throw birds at you. I know the game is not a shmup, but the stage definatly is. Is it ok to talk about shmup stages within non shmups?
Definitely OK. And don't forget the submarine stage, that's a shmup too. I posted a thread on TNL last month about how unique Super Mario Land is. It's like Mario, a bit of Alex Kidd and a little shmup action thrown in. The thread is here if ya wanna check it out:

http://www.the-nextlevel.com/board/show ... hp?t=34617
cool. Yeah, I didn't mention that level becuase there are no clouds in it, but it does rock. I'll check that thread out. It sounds interesting.
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

cigsthecat wrote:I think it's safe to say we've run out of topics at this point.
One of my favorite things is looking at cloud formations year round so i don't think it's too bad.
Strychnine

Post by Strychnine »

cigsthecat wrote:I think it's safe to say we've run out of topics at this point.
We ran out of topics a loooong time ago. Now we're just scraping the highly inedible bits of goop off the bottom. :D
The white clouds floating on the great blue sky
And the boiling red blood shed in fierce gaming
Those who give up halfway through
Their battered bodies will never forget!

Segata Sanshiro, Segata Sanshiro! Sega Saturn... shiro!
Blade

Post by Blade »

My vote...albeit an uninformed one....is for Cloudphobia....but you can ignore me.
The world would be a better place if there were less shooters and more dot-eaters.

Jesus' BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS:
1. Pure, Mournful, Humble Heart
2. Merciful Peacemaker
3. Suffer for Righteous Desire
BenT

Post by BenT »

Haha, I thought the same.

I do like my clouds, though! Galactic Attack, stage 3!
zinger

Post by zinger »

Dodonpachi - ST3