Are there any shmups that....

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
SFKhoa

Are there any shmups that....

Post by SFKhoa »

... has hitboxes as big or if not, bigger than the actual sprite/ship itself?
OptimusPrimeX

Re: Are there any shmups that....

Post by OptimusPrimeX »

SFKhoa wrote:... has hitboxes as big or if not, bigger than the actual sprite/ship itself?
First two games that come to mind are M.U.S.H.A and Alpha Mission 2.... it might not be exactly the whole ship, but pretty close. There are a bunch more games that come close, but those two were just off the top of my head.
shiftace

Post by shiftace »

I thought it was kind of the norm before, say, 1992. Give or take 2 years. A hitbox bigger than the ship is probably sloppy coding, but same-size is more intuitive than reduced, and when hardware wasn't good at handling 50+ objects, you needed a big hitbox to make dodging nontrivial.
roushimsx

Post by roushimsx »

Raptor: Call of the Shadows on PC had this problem. I was sad that it wasn't fixed for the Win32 version
the2bears

Post by the2bears »

shiftace wrote:I thought it was kind of the norm before, say, 1992. Give or take 2 years. A hitbox bigger than the ship is probably sloppy coding, but same-size is more intuitive than reduced, and when hardware wasn't good at handling 50+ objects, you needed a big hitbox to make dodging nontrivial.
Certainly now a hitbox bigger is probably sloppy coding but back then you had to make do with the processing power you had (and I suppose the ingenius ways of collision detection). Square hit-boxes are easy to code and fast to perform. Circles are also pretty easy, though coding might take more on early hardware due to floating/fixed point stuff.

Bill
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

frickin' Dragon Spirit on Turbo Grafx (not sure about other versions). i hate that game because 1)hitbox and 2) nearly (completely?) impossible to recover.

sidenote: MUSHA still owns my heart though.
I have no sig whatsoever.
Strychnine

Post by Strychnine »

Out of curiosity, once you have seized upon the knowledge of this theoretical shmup with a hitbox bigger than the ship (which would be...retarded) what are your plans?
The white clouds floating on the great blue sky
And the boiling red blood shed in fierce gaming
Those who give up halfway through
Their battered bodies will never forget!

Segata Sanshiro, Segata Sanshiro! Sega Saturn... shiro!
SFKhoa

Post by SFKhoa »

TRY to 1CC them at most (emphasis on *try*) =P, or if not, experiment them myself by bullet-grazing attempts, haha.
OptimusPrimeX

Post by OptimusPrimeX »

Strychnine wrote:Out of curiosity, once you have seized upon the knowledge of this theoretical shmup with a hitbox bigger than the ship (which would be...retarded) what are your plans?

LMAO.... maybe some strange destructive urge to get killed by enemy bullets while having a large hit box.
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

Xenon 1 on Amiga. I am not sure if the Atart-ST version also suffer from the same problem.

The problem is that the ship is a bit shaped like an upside-down Y (Like many ships on shmups), but the hitbos is indeed a SQUARE around the ship.

This makes for really frustrating gameplay sometimes.

What's really weird is that none of the 8 bits versions (Spectrum, MSX and C64, AFAIK) suffer from this

If Xenon had a proper hitbox, would surely be an amazing shmup for its time.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Shatterhand wrote:Xenon 1 on Amiga. I am not sure if the Atart-ST version also suffer from the same problem.

The problem is that the ship is a bit shaped like an upside-down Y (Like many ships on shmups), but the hitbos is indeed a SQUARE around the ship.

This makes for really frustrating gameplay sometimes.

What's really weird is that none of the 8 bits versions (Spectrum, MSX and C64, AFAIK) suffer from this

If Xenon had a proper hitbox, would surely be an amazing shmup for its time.
Are the 8-bit versions of Xenon amazing shmups for their time?
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

BrianC wrote:Are the 8-bit versions of Xenon amazing shmups for their time?
No.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Herr Schatten wrote:
BrianC wrote:Are the 8-bit versions of Xenon amazing shmups for their time?
No.
oh ok. What is wrong with them? The last post made it sound like the hitbox problem was fixed. I guess the 8-bit ones have other flaws instead?

G-Fighter and a couple other shooters in the Genesis and NES Action 52 have a huge hitbox. I don't know what's worse, the Genesis ones with the one hit gameplay or the NES version with the lifebar and worse collision detection.
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

I dunno, I wouldn't call them "Amazing"... but I would call them good games.

I think the Amiga version had an impact for having some real cool graphics and sounds for the time, while the 8 bits had none of this (Well.. the music was still great :D)

I think the Spectrum version, weirdely enough, is the best version of all. The only problem with it is that's a little too easy, and the graphics are 2 color only (Like lots of spectrum games), which makes bullets dificult to see sometimes. It has nearly the same gameplay of the Amiga version (If a little bit slower), a decent hitbox and horrible graphics :D

The MSX version is identical to the spectrum one. I used to play this game a lot when I was younger.

The C64 has different level design, is less inspired. But it's a very cool game anyway.

IMO, all those versions are better than any version of Xenon 2.