Shmup Glossary Discussion Thread (UPDATED 3-15-09)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Shatterhand

Re: Shmup Glossary Discussion Thread (UPDATED 3-15-09)

Post by Shatterhand »

What happened to the Glossary? The thread doesn't exist anymore !?!
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

It's stickied at the top of this subforum: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 7#p1083937
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Yeah, it's still there (and still sorely in need of an update :oops:), but was moved a little ways back.

...actually, I thought I'd updated the link in my signature, but I hadn't, I'll do that right now!
shoryusatsu999

Post by shoryusatsu999 »

Now that I think about it, there's a distinct lack of definitions for hypers and shot types. Not sure if the latter's too self explanatory for inclusion or not, but here's how I'd define them:

Hyper: A player-controlled state where the craft's capabilities are temporarily enhanced in some way. Exactly what is enhanced depends on the game, but shot power is usually increased during a hyper. Usage of hypers is almost always limited, whether it is through a meter that needs to be filled before use or a resource (such as a bomb) that is expended upon activation.

Shot Type: The firing pattern and characteristics of the primary attack used by the player's craft. A craft's shot type is often linked to other characteristics that vary based on the game, such as movement speed, usable subweapons, options and bomb type.

There might also need to be an entry for medaling, but I'm not confident in my ability to define that one or sure that there absolutely has to be a definition for it here.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Medals and medal chaining are covered under "Score item." That entry could use a "(also Medal)" by it like some of the other entries do for alternative terms.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube