Shmup Glossary Discussion Thread (UPDATED 3-15-09)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Alske

Post by Alske »

BulletMagnet wrote: Then there's the matter of "Curtain Fire," a la Zun...is that yet another possible synonym, or not quite the same? Hopefully someone with Japanese knowledge can come to the rescue.
I'ma gonna guess that refers to the kanji in danmaku:

弾幕ーだんまくーbarrage.
弾ーたまーbullet.
幕ーまくーcurtain.

Also, doujin games differ from homebrew: doujin 「同人」 use already established characters from somewhere else (usually anime, manga or other games). Hence the name which you could interpret as being "same characters". So, it would be more accurate to state that doujin is a subset of homebrew.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Alske wrote:Also, doujin games differ from homebrew: doujin 「同人」 use already established characters from somewhere else (usually anime, manga or other games). Hence the name which you could interpret as being "same characters". So, it would be more accurate to state that doujin is a subset of homebrew.
Doujin is short for doujinshi, I believe. (I could be wrong though.)

Here's the Wiki for both "doujin" and "doujinshi".
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Alske wrote:I'ma gonna guess that refers to the kanji in danmaku:

弾幕ーだんまくーbarrage.
弾ーたまーbullet.
幕ーまくーcurtain.
Hmm, so if I interpret this correctly, then "Curtain Fire," Danmaku," and "manic" pretty much mean the same thing, at least when it comes to shmups?
Also, doujin games differ from homebrew: doujin 「同人」 use already established characters from somewhere else (usually anime, manga or other games). Hence the name which you could interpret as being "same characters". So, it would be more accurate to state that doujin is a subset of homebrew.
I don't know Japanese at all, so I'll hafta take your word on that one. ;) However, the Wiki from Icky (sorry, couldn't resist :mrgreen:) mentions this:

In Western cultures, dojin is often perceived to be derivative of existing work, analogous to fanfiction. To an extent, this is true: many dojins are based on popular manga, anime or game series. However, many dojins with completely original content also exist.

It sounds to me like the term originated to describe specifically "fan fiction" type works, but was eventually also used to cover amateur works in general, original or not (anyone want to check into that?). In any event, a note on the word's literal meaning would be good to add, so I'll keep that in mind. Further confirmation on this would be great though.
Icarus wrote:Doujin is short for doujinshi, I believe. (I could be wrong though.)

Here's the Wiki for both "doujin" and "doujinshi".
I think there was a conversation about this some time ago...IIRC, "doujinshi" was the original term I had in the glossary, but someone pointed out that the term referred specifically to comic books and such, while "doujin" was more general, so I switched to that. Though perhaps I ought to make a note about the more specific term "doujin soft" used in the Wiki entry.
Alske

Post by Alske »

Sort of... 同人誌ーどうじんしーdoujinshi refers specifically to periodicals; hence the last character. Most doujin stuff was originally fan published books. However, hitting up Akihabara or Den Den Town for doujin stuff nowadays will confront you with:

同人ソフト (doujin software)
同人誌 (doujin comics usually)

If you're at a big store there will also be sections for "adult" themed versions of both of those. If it's a really big place they'll be subdivided (e.g. gay, lesbian, rape, etc).

While it occaisionally refers to any amateur work, it is usually (as pointed out) used to mean fanfiction and its ilk.
Hmm, so if I interpret this correctly, then "Curtain Fire," Danmaku," and "manic" pretty much mean the same thing, at least when it comes to shmups?
Yes.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Alske wrote:If you're at a big store there will also be sections for "adult" themed versions of both of those. If it's a really big place they'll be subdivided (e.g. gay, lesbian, rape, etc).
"For the Discerning Customer." :P
While it occaisionally refers to any amateur work, it is usually (as pointed out) used to mean fanfiction and its ilk.
Okay, I'll make a note of that next update.
Yes.
That too. Thanks for the input. :)
zaphod

Post by zaphod »

Oh, and here's a shmup term.

Shotgun: (N) A weapon used by players in certain shmups. In most shmups that have it, this weapon has the following characteristics.

1) A fire rate of 1. you have to wait till all the shots form the initial burst leave before firing a second. Needless to say this does not rapid fire.
2) Spread fire property. usually at least five or seven shots in a forward direction.
3) Bullet canceling property. This is what makes it a Shotgun. It shoots down enemy bullets that are otherwise indestructable.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Hmm, can you give a specific example or two?

Another term I was thinking of adding was "semi-auto," for games in which there is technically autofire, but it only lasts a few seconds, so you need to "slow tap" in order to take full advantage of it. UN Squadron and Two ten kaku come most immediately to mind...

I'll probably update the list soon, now that I'm finished compiling the Garegga "Rank for Dummies" section.
zaphod

Post by zaphod »

Many capcom shmups have this shotgun weapon. 1943 and 1943 Kai are the examples that come to mind, but others have it as well.

Oh. one more part i forgot. the shotgun's range is limited and usually odoes not travel form the bottom to the top of the screen.

This used to be in the glossary earlier i think, but I thhink it's useed enough in shooters that it still belongs, because any tiem yo upick up a weapon called a shotgun in a shooter (other then gun.smoke) you know tha it is a bullet cnacellnig spreadfire with limited range.
Last edited by zaphod on Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Hmm, okay, I'm not overly familiar with the 1940 series, but I'll take your word for it, heh heh. Can anyone else confirm the use of this term, as I've never heard it used as such before...maybe it'd be better-served as a note under "bullet eater" or something like that?
zaphod

Post by zaphod »

If 90 degree laser belongs in it, then so does shotgun. they are both specific weapon tpypes wit ha very specific property set.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

I don't argue its validity (although, as I said, I'm not very familiar with it), I've just never heard the term "shotgun" used in shmup terminology before, I'm just looking for a bit of confirmation (for lack of a better word) before I proceed further with it.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

BulletMagnet wrote:Can anyone else confirm the use of this term, as I've never heard it used as such before...maybe it'd be better-served as a note under "bullet eater" or something like that?
The weapon was also in Capcom's Side Arms and was officialy called a "shot gun". http://www.arcadeflyers.com/flyers/capcom/10010302.jpg

I think it's mostly a weapon from the old days though, at the moment I can't think of any shmups other than the old Capcom ones that would have it.

Also, the term semi-auto you're considering...it's also used in Gradius/Parodius -games with a very different meaning, for when the power-up meter automatically buys your next upgrade, but while still allowing you to choose them yourself as well.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Ghegs wrote:The weapon was also in Capcom's Side Arms and was officialy called a "shot gun". I think it's mostly a weapon from the old days though, at the moment I can't think of any shmups other than the old Capcom ones that would have it.
Okay, thanks for that info, I'll have to put this somewhere...anyone want to weigh in on whether it should be under "bullet eater" or given its own item?
Also, the term semi-auto you're considering...it's also used in Gradius/Parodius -games with a very different meaning, for when the power-up meter automatically buys your next upgrade, but while still allowing you to choose them yourself as well.
Ah, good catch, I'd forgotten about that. Hmm...the only place I've ever seen that is in the Parodius games though, maybe it's a bit too series-specific...?
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

BulletMagnet wrote:
Ghegs wrote:Also, the term semi-auto you're considering...it's also used in Gradius/Parodius -games with a very different meaning, for when the power-up meter automatically buys your next upgrade, but while still allowing you to choose them yourself as well.
Ah, good catch, I'd forgotten about that. Hmm...the only place I've ever seen that is in the Parodius games though, maybe it's a bit too series-specific...?
Well, it's also in Gradii III and IV (or at least in the PS2 pack) and Gaiden. But yeah, I don't think anybody's going to confuse the two, since the other meaning is far more wide-spread.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Ghegs wrote:Well, it's also in Gradii III and IV (or at least in the PS2 pack) and Gaiden.
Hm, I'd completely forgotten about that, shows how much Gradius I play on a regular basis, heh heh.
But yeah, I don't think anybody's going to confuse the two, since the other meaning is far more wide-spread.
I've actually been mulling over whether to add "power-up bar" to the glossary in like manner...although (to the best of my knowledge, not counting doujin games) it's only used in Gradius, Parodius ("a lotta 'yusses," as Phil from Hercules woulda put it), etc., it is pretty iconic, though also series-specific...I'm kinda torn on it.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Okay, updated the glossary again, mostly edits, also added several discussion points to the list in this thread, feel free to comment on any you have an opinion about!
Thinimus

Post by Thinimus »

It's been a while hearing alot of these, but these should be vernacular by now. :P

Mega Beam:
Very large beam that is fired from the player's craft/character that is usually several times its size in width. It is often an instantaneous weapon that lasts for several seconds. Mega Beam type weapons tend change in width while being used.

The weapon itself tends to be about as damaging as a bomb would be and requires either an available stock of uses or a long charging period without normal weapon usage.

Very large or strong enemies, such as bosses in most cases, will sometimes use a similiar weapon. Enemies using one tend to give tell-tale signs before firing it, usually some sort of charging animation or sound.

Scatter Shot:
Weapon that explodes on contact with an object or after traveling a certain range. After hitting or ending, it will release several smaller, weaker shots.

Leading:
Type of fire when enemies track the player with their rounds instead of shooting straight at him.

Walker:
Usually a very large enemy that occupies a large portion or all of the screen. It features legs of somesort and is designed to be difficult to maneuver around. It's primary method of attack is usually to move about and hit the player with it's legs.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Thinimus wrote:Mega Beam
Hmm...not sure about this one, though it might merit a mention underneath "laser" someplace...
Scatter Shot
This one sounds pretty good, I'll probably add it in.
Leading
Just to make sure I'm following you correctly on this, could you provide an example or two of enemies which do this?
Walker
Perhaps not shmup-specific enough?
Thinimus

Post by Thinimus »

Hmm, I can't think of any examples off hand for leading. I was thinking some of the turrets and enemies in various Gradius games did it, but I can't remember exactly. I might need some help.
zaphod

Post by zaphod »

Many games have enemies that aim shosts only in the general direction of your aircraft instea d of directly at it. SOme will fly at you, soem will be ahead of you, and some will be behind you, to catch peopel who reverse when they see shots fired at them. Man early toaplan games, liek Flying SHark, did this, which is what made the m so devinishly difficult. instead. shots would both lead and trail your ship, causing MANY stupid deaths if you weren't concentration (or in the zone) properly.
Thinimus

Post by Thinimus »

Yep, that's it right there.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Hm, okay. Only problem is, at this point "lead" is listed as an alternate term for "herd/hoard"...any way you can think of to work around this? Also, while I'm thinking of it, can the term be used to describe the player shooting "indirectly" at a quick enemy to nail it, in like manner?
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

By sheer chance I was looking through a Cho Ren Sha thread in the Strategy forum, and found this quote:

-The bosses of Level 0 are Ghosts (enemies you can fly through/over safely.) This means that, invincibility-wise, you can't damage them by touching them.

Can anyone confirm that one for me? This is the first time I've heard it...
zaphod

Post by zaphod »

Can't believe this is not in yet.

Homing Laser. Simple enough, a laser that has homing properties. They are nearly always represented on screen by a line that has a fixed length which tracks its target after the laser is fired. Usually used by enemies, and fired at least 3 at a time, but a few shmups, such as Bio Hazard Battle, wiill actually let you, the player, get a homing laser. Homing lasers that are available to the player are often stronger then the usual types of homing weapons available.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

It lives! It liiiives!

Hmm...it seems sort of self-explanatory off the cuff. IIRC the definition for "laser" says that lasers can have "varying properties" as it is...also, would this mean that "homing missile" would also need a separate definition?
Iaspis

Post by Iaspis »

One more thing:

Slalom/Reverse Slalom

To zig zag avoiding bullets and advancing forth/moving backwards at the same time.
Many shmups (mostly manic ones) at times introduce certain bullet patterns that create some sort of little corridors where you can fly through them. That is an example of performing a slalom, but i guess it can be used in general.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Hmm, sounds like a possible addition. Anyone else want to weigh in?
J-Manic

Post by J-Manic »

I'm just curious. What would the correct term be for those bullets, in games like Border Down and G-Darius for example, that change directions and/or act as homing bullets that follow your ship's movements for a few seconds. Know which one's I'm talking about?

"Tracers bullets" maybe? :wink:
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

J-Manic wrote:"Tracers bullets" maybe? :wink:
I'm getting flashbacks to the old Calvin and Hobbes strips, heh heh.

Anyways, I don't think I've ever heard much of an "official" term for those..."tracing" doesn't sound too bad though. Or maybe "semi-homing," or something like that...
Blade

Post by Blade »

Tracer Bullets, at least in use outside of shmups, are the last few bullets in a machine gun cartridge, if I recall correctly. The fire they produce can be seen as it leaves the gun compared to other bullets, hence the term "tracer". If you want an example of this, recall Metal Gear Solid's FAMAS.

I can't really say this is limited to shmup terminology though, but if you were to apply it, I'd say it would be shots in controlled bursts that move slower than other bullets. Just my speculation though.
The world would be a better place if there were less shooters and more dot-eaters.

Jesus' BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS:
1. Pure, Mournful, Humble Heart
2. Merciful Peacemaker
3. Suffer for Righteous Desire