Shmup Glossary Discussion Thread (UPDATED 3-15-09)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

nimitz wrote:As for the last one, (Bullet Time) pretty much everyone one knows what it means, so in that sense it is good, that being said I can't think of any shmup with this feature, can you give us examples?
There are a few doujins with it, though on the commercial front we've got the ESPGaluda duo...not sure if there are any others.

Some interesting ideas, maybe I'll try to get an update done this weekend.
ZacharyB

Post by ZacharyB »

I'd like to request a definition of Euroshmup.
ZOM

Post by ZOM »

ZacharyB wrote:I'd like to request a definition of Euroshmup.
This could end in a virtual massacre...
Observer

Post by Observer »

BulletMagnet wrote:
nimitz wrote:As for the last one, (Bullet Time) pretty much everyone one knows what it means, so in that sense it is good, that being said I can't think of any shmup with this feature, can you give us examples?
There are a few doujins with it, though on the commercial front we've got the ESPGaluda duo...not sure if there are any others.

Some interesting ideas, maybe I'll try to get an update done this weekend.
Hitogata Happa uses a bullet time to slow down the bullets. The recent shooter/joke Meglilo (sp? the one with the magical girl, made by Astro Ports) also seems to have a mix of bullet time+teleportation if I'm not wrong.

Then you also have the infamous Protöthea (Xevious-like STG) with its average-to-lame PC version and that monstrosity of the same name they ported to the Wii.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoTQUkXzABM (PC version, I still don't know how I made it through the 7 chapters...)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGoowV-aTKo (Wii version)

The controls are keyboard+mouse like a FPS. And it's intentional!
NOW REACHES THE FATAL ATTRACTION BE DESCRIBED AS "HELLSINKER". DECIDE DESTINATION.
nimitz

Post by nimitz »

heh, you could have a "neutral" style of definition for euroshmup

Euroshmup : A *usually* derogatory term used to classify shooting games with features commonly found in European or American shmups which contrasts with common design norms or conventions. Such features include : Inertia, life bars, limited ammunition,, underpowered ship, lack of complex scoring systems, random bullet patterns (bullet barf), upgrade shops.

Is there a definition for Bullet Barf in the glossary btw? :lol:
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

nimitz wrote:Is there a definition for Bullet Barf in the glossary btw? :lol:
I believe that'd be covered under "spam"...though I do like "bullet barf," maybe I'll add it as an alternate term. :mrgreen:
nimitz

Post by nimitz »

Heh, I didn't think of galuda's kakusei as "bullet-time" probably because the enemies themselves and the scrolling doesn't slow down so you don't get that "slower time" feeling.

Also, I just read through the glossary and here's what I found to be a bit confusing/odd...

Character shmup : pretty much all the character shmup I can think of would fit under the term "lolishmup". Maybe the term "lolishmup" should be added??

Craft : the definition mentions "ship" and "plane". There must be a term for the avatar in character shmups?

Cutoff Mark : the definition is clear, but frankly I don't remember seeing this term anywhere (other than the glossary). Maybe something like no-shot mark, no-fire mark.

Dismantle (also Deconstruct): Should this be under Boss milking?

Drill : "Drill shot" would be a bit less confusing I think.

Ghost : never seen that terms being used either and it is not very self-explanatory either. Maybe: no-collision mode? no enemy collision?

Needle : like Drill, not really important, but I think "Needle Laser" is clearer.

Sneak Kill : there is no entry for Death Trap, maybe sneak kill could fit under "death trap" or the other way around.

Wobble Mode : From what I got it may be a bit confusing with "bullet wobbling" which doesn't have its entry.

Just throwing up a few ideas, feel free to comment/disagree. :D
j^aws

Post by j^aws »

BulletMagnet wrote:
[...]
Omega Fighter (circa '89) has this bullet-time feature, via an item pick-up. I'm pretty sure you recently reviewed/ analyzed this game... ;P
"All that matters really is taste. He might like the game, he might not." - Anonymous
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

nimitz wrote:Character shmup : pretty much all the character shmup I can think of would fit under the term "lolishmup". Maybe the term "lolishmup" should be added??
For non-loli character shmups there's Guwange, Sengoku Blade/Cannon, some others I can't remember the names of at the moment...I wouldn't say Galudas are lolishmups either.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
ZOM

Post by ZOM »

nimitz wrote:Character shmup : pretty much all the character shmup I can think of would fit under the term "lolishmup". Maybe the term "lolishmup" should be added??
You forgot Shikigami no Shiro and Esprade&Espgaluda :wink:
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Well, it took almost two years, but the Glossary has received a modest update, including some stuff based on the recent discussion around here - feel free to give it a look, and post more comments on how to further improve it. The "discussion topics" post on this thread has also been updated - please let me know if I've missed anything at either location, typos and such included. Above all, thanks to everyone for continuing to make the Glossary even better, a bit at a time. :)
nimitz

Post by nimitz »

Really nice update BulletMagnet, keep up the good work.
Lloyd Mangram

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Just been reading through the glossary again, and I have a question about the entry for inertia:
Inertia: A seldom-seen shmup mechanic which pulls the player’s craft slightly backwards from the last “sideways” direction moved once movement ends and the craft is at a standstill. Almost universally disliked among shmuppers, as it makes dodging more difficult to execute precisely.
If that's classed as inertia, what do you call it when the player craft has an acceleration/deceleration effect applied to starting/stopping movement? I've always classed that as inertia, whereas the glossary entry seen above is more like some kind of anti-inertia as rather than having the inertia of the ship lead to a continuation of movement, it actually bounces back in the reverse direction.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Yeah, your definition is probably the more "accurate" one, though I tend to hear the term used mostly the way it's presently listed...maybe someone else is aware of a better-suited term for it.
Lloyd Mangram

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Hmm, yeah the standard inertia is the one I'm more familiar with as I grew up with a c64 and Amiga, and a few fairly high-profile games on those platforms suffered from that misguided attempt at adding a touch of realism (eg: Zynaps on c64, Project X on Amiga).

Just thinking about it, the kind you've described in the glossary is more like the actual atmosphere your craft is moving through has an elastic resistance -- almost as if you're flying (swimming?) in a thick soup that pushes you back after you've pushed through it. (Soup-physics!?) I've never understood why developers would add such a bizarre and counter-intuitive thing to a shmup. The first time I saw it in action was in RayStorm. It was a real WTF? moment, believe me.
jpj

Post by jpj »

can you please add:

sacred cow - informal slang for ketsui

stan - an obsessive fanboy

thank you :)
RegalSin wrote:Videogames took my life away like the Natives during colonial times.
Elaphe

Post by Elaphe »

I've read the whole glossary and I have some suggestions and corrections. I hope any of the following can contribute to the glossary.

First. I have a correction about joystick throw. Your definition of Throw actually corresponds to Engagement, the term used to tell the travel of the stick from its neutral position until the actuator pushes the microswitches. The total travel of the stick (Throw) doesn't correspond in most cases with the engagement distance. It's usually between 1 and 4 or 5 millimeters longer.

Second. I have not read any reference to the word Drone. I use it a lot for that artifact used in R-Type, Last Resort, Varth, etc. It could fit the description of Option. Should it be described the same as the options in Gradius?

Third. There's something very common in most final bosses, not only in shmups but also in other arcades such as beat'em ups: a kind of hint or warning just before a unstoppable or dangerous attack. If the player pays attention and knows the game well, he/she will be aware and will try to avoid the attack. You can see this in many ways: a growing flash before a big shoot, an movement backwards before charging against the player's ship, some kind of menacing movement, etc. I think you know what I mean, don't you? I don't know what word or words we could in English for this. Maybe, attack hint? or attack warning?

Forth. A suggestion about the definition of respawn. You could mention the main difference between games in which the action never stops and you instantly respawn after you die, and those in which dying means going back to a specific respawn point in the level. Usually, this happens more often in horizontal shmups. I think you explain something here, but it could be clearer:

Respawn:
1) (also Instant Respawn) The ability in a shmup to immediately resume play at the exact spot, or at least at a set “respawn point” in the screen area, where one is shot down, usually with a brief invincibility window. In some cases this only comes into effect when individual lives are lost, and does not apply when using continues.

Finally, in the definition of core, you could mention that it's a usual feature that the boss gives some feedback to the player about the fact of actually being damaged when hit in the core, generally flashing, for instance. Therefore, it's easier for the player to know that he/she's doing right.
ZOM

Post by ZOM »

Elaphe wrote: Second. I have not read any reference to the word Drone. I use it a lot for that artifact used in R-Type, Last Resort, Varth, etc. It could fit the description of Option. Should it be described the same as the options in Gradius?
You talking about the Force-Device or the little side-shield thingies?
If it's the latter, I call them "bit". So yes, I think putting "bit" & "drone" somewhere in the "Option" definition isn't a bad idea at all.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

nimitz wrote:Heh, I didn't think of galuda's kakusei as "bullet-time" probably because the enemies themselves and the scrolling doesn't slow down so you don't get that "slower time" feeling.
What? Everything except the player character slows down when Kakusei is activated (or speeds up when in Overdrive). The scrolling slows down as does enemy motion.
Elaphe

Post by Elaphe »

I call drone to the ball you can pick up and place in front of your ship or on your back (R-Type) and throw to your enemies. It's the same with Last Resort (Neogeo) but in this one you can place it on several place surrounding your ship.
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

alternate term for kusoplay: "pooper play"
so long and tanks for all the spacefish
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays
Jockel

Re: Shmup Glossary Discussion Thread (UPDATED 3-15-09)

Post by Jockel »

i just noticed that "gradius syndrome" is missing.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Jockel wrote:i just noticed that "gradius syndrome" is missing.
Hmm...I don't think I have a definition for the "phenomenon" of near-impossible checkpoints, maybe I'll add it as an additional item under "checkpoint" whenever I get around to updating this again.
zaphod

Post by zaphod »

I propose the following alternate english alternate for kusoplay, which probably keeps the spirit more.
"Stupor Play"
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

zaphod wrote:I propose the following alternate english alternate for kusoplay, which probably keeps the spirit more.
"Stupor Play"
Heh, it'd certainly work, but I don't think it's in wide enough use for this list. ;) I have thought of starting a "REALLY Unofficial Glossary" where people could submit terms they'd made up out of nowhere (I actually had a thread on that theme WAY back when), but I hardly keep up with the original one as is.
DJ Incompetent

Post by DJ Incompetent »

Eh Bulletmagnet,

So the people are telling me according to this place, manic STGs just mean fast bullets instead of this definition:

Manic Shmup: (also Bulletsprayer, Dodge-em-Up) A type of shmup which is characterized by very high numbers of bullets and/or enemies being present on the screen at one time; forces the player to rely on quick reaction time and on-the-spot dodging skills, rather than memorization of where things are within a level, to survive. Due to the highly restricted amount of safe space for the player to move around in, manic shmups almost always feature relatively small hitboxes, usually located near the very center of the player’s craft..

Next question is, where did you get your definition from and how do we determine what definition is more widely used?
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Yeah, there's always been some debate about that - I mainly just included this definition of "manic" because it's the one I'd heard most frequently, at least off the cuff. At the end of the day, though, applying the term to "fast-bullet" games (is there really an "official" oft-used term for those?) would make at least as much sense - perhaps the ol' Glossary's due for an edit. As always, though, my only real job here is to act upon what the community gives me.
DJ Incompetent

Post by DJ Incompetent »

tru, tru.
I reckon I should try to get to the bottom of this.

Another poll? Another poll!
nZero

Re:

Post by nZero »

Kiken wrote:
nimitz wrote:Heh, I didn't think of galuda's kakusei as "bullet-time" probably because the enemies themselves and the scrolling doesn't slow down so you don't get that "slower time" feeling.
What? Everything except the player character slows down when Kakusei is activated (or speeds up when in Overdrive). The scrolling slows down as does enemy motion.
So... you could speedrun the game by playing through entirely in overdrive and managing your barrier/bomb to kill bosses and other scroll-stopping enemies as quickly as possible? Is there a Galuda or Galuda 2 time attack scoreboard? :P
ptoing

Post by ptoing »

Zanki Bonus

Dunno how many shmups use this. Chorensha68k does. Basically translates to (left over) lives bonus which could be at the end of a level or at the end of the game after an ALL run.