Anyone else prefer the PS1 for shmups over the PS2?....

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
dave4shmups

Anyone else prefer the PS1 for shmups over the PS2?....

Post by dave4shmups »

It has been a while since my modded PSone from UVG died, so today I bought a new PSone, unmodded, at my local GameCrazy.

I just personally like the PSone's shmup line-up better then the PS2's. I LOVE the exclusives, and I as far as series go, I like R-Type Delta a lot better then R-Type Final, and Gradius Gaiden better then Gradius V.

Plus, I also picked up PS1 Space Invaders. Wonderful update of the original, I dare say it's even better then Super Space Invaders '91!
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Yeah, I love the PS1 lineup. More shooters for PS1 came to the US, even if they do have Tate removed. The PSX also got good ports of most of Konami's deluxe packs. The port of Thunder Force V is very good too. Dave, thanks for the R-Types and the Xevious 3D + G.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Exclusive game-wise, sure, PS1 has much more and better shooters. But if your PS2 can play PS1 games, then you have the best of both worlds with slightly cleaner visuals although with some compatibility problems.

Since I prefer perfection the way it was meant to be played and haven't yet found a way to play PS1 imports on my PS2, I still play games on my PS1 with Goldfinger. In fact, I recently replaced the inconsistent weak early model laser centerpiece on my PS1 with a perfectly functional one from a spare Dual Shock PS1 with messed up controller ports my cousin left at my place. Unfortunately, the later PS1 versions have plenty of lower quality parts...
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

I really have to agree about Gradius Gaiden and R-Type Delta. To me the world of Gaiden is teeming with life-- it has a very organic feel-- and there is something mysterious about the setting. By contrast, the world of Gradius V seems to be a mechanical, soulless world without much depth. Some parts of R-Type Final remind me more of the mysterious, deep world of Gaiden, but the gameplay is for me a bit tedious compared to R-Type Delta.
Also, when you are thirsting for a quirky alterntive to the outer-space shooter, on the PS2 you have Shikigami and not a lot else. On the PS1 you have all kinds of off-beat options-- Darius Gaiden, Harmful Park, Gunbird, etc.
Lately I'm just completely into PS1. One of you recently recommended Xevious 3D to me-- I found it on Ebay super cheap, and am really looking forward to it (should arrive soon). Thanks for the tip!
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

There are lots of PS1 shmups I love, like Einhander, Gradius gaiden, R-Type Delta, Thunderforce V...

I'd like to say, give the PS2 some more time since in the last three years or so it's gotten some very nice games, although I don't know how much time is left for PS2 :(
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I do love my PS2 quite a bit, though. I love Castle Shikigami 2 and Gradius V. I love playing Xevious 3D + G, Thunder Force V, R-Types, and Mobile Light Force on the PS2. However, I like playing PS1 shmups on the PS1 since many of them are 2D and 2D games are the most likely to work incorrectly on the PS2. Also, only my PS1 is set up for imports with the PS-X-Change 2. I love that boot disc.
PsikyoPshumpPshooterP

Post by PsikyoPshumpPshooterP »

i know i have to respect other peoples opinion but you couldnt be even more wrong on this one,dave

here some of the ps2 top line up

DDP DOJ
Espagluda
SNS 2
Psikyo 2
Gradius V

and you're telling me that enough isnt up to par to gradius gaiden and/or r-type delta..if you're looking for a bargain bin, then yeah..horrah for the ps1..but if you want some fucken shmuppage man, the ps2 is where its at..the shmup console market is solely on the ps2,man!its future is on the ps2 ..
The cave whore count in this thread is unbelievable!!!
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Yeah, well I'm with Dave, I prefer PS1 lineup a lot as well. I mean, if PS2 couldn't read those PS1 games and I had to judge them as separate systems... PS1 wins. How about:

Excellent exclusives:

R-Type Delta
Gradius Gaiden
Zanac Neo

awesome ports:

Raiden DX
Dodonpachi

sheer quantity:

R-Types. Xevious, check. Parodius, all check.
Salamander, check. Twinbee, check. Taito. Psykyo.

more exclusives:

Einhander, Harmful Park, Bokandesuyoo, Philosoma

not-the-best-available-but-still-is-good-they're-there:

Thunderforce V PS
Soukyugurentai Oubushustugeki

The PS2 still doesn't compare, but luckily has room for improvement. But of course, since PS2 can read most of those games, it's all good. The future is on PS2? I don't know, it's not that PS2 is exactly a new system...
X - P - B
Neon

Post by Neon »

QuadP is spot on. Even if it couldn't play all those psone shooters, ps2's still worth having. Since it can, it might just be the ultimate shmups machine :)
Ord

Post by Ord »

I much prefer the PS2 lineup of shooters over the Psone, but like someone said i have the best of both worlds as my modded PS2 can handle both.
One other thing would be the possible future releases of Raiden III & Mushihimesama as well as the definate release of Gigawing Generations in March/April.
Ikaruga review now up in PLASMA BLOSSOM
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

I just don't care about Cave games, and for 3D games, I think the XBOX is far superior.

Really, other then graphics, the only thing I like better about Gradius V then Gaiden is the ability to freeze your options.

And as far as Raiden III goes, that translated review mentioned how slow the ship speed is-I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Raiden III turns out to play as slow, or nearly as slow, as R-Type Final.

Really, what I'm trying to do right now is follow Raiden's advice: I have 3 consoles-the DC, the PS1, and a Jap. Saturn-that I can only occasionally afford to buy games for. So, I'll spend more time on, and appreciate more, the ones I have.

That's the problem with 16-bit, and earlier, consoles for shmupping-you find some pocket change, and you can go grab a game!
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
Ord

Post by Ord »

^^^^ Fair enough Dave, however i've played Raiden III and although the ship moves slower thn that of the Raiden Fighters series the gameplay is still fast and furious. I for one really can't wait for this to be released for PS2.
Ikaruga review now up in PLASMA BLOSSOM
Rob

Post by Rob »

I think the only reason this topic was created is because you don't have a PS2 anymore. Raiden III is going to be awesome, you know.
That's the problem with 16-bit, and earlier, consoles for shmupping-you find some pocket change, and you can go grab a game!
"problem"
PsikyoPshumpPshooterP

Post by PsikyoPshumpPshooterP »

so for example..you pick 1 psx best shmup vs. 1 ps2 best shmup

ZanacXZanac vs DDP DOJ

ZxZ is a great fucken shmup..shit i have two copies and its very highely price ..great music, good graphics..lots of options....but thats the thing tho..does a shmup have greatness just because of its value? unfortunately, not..DDP DOJ is far by the best shmup on the console market up to date..Im no Caveboy fan but this game justs blows my mind..when it first came out and there hasnt been any home shmup release that has matched the greatness of DDP DOJ. I know these two shmups are very different but are manic shmups..and im not just saying ZxZ is not better just becuz its on an inferior system..for that moment of time, ZxZ deserved that crown but it was overtaken by DDP DOJ,imho..fuck we need another home port of cave's game just like DDP DOj presentation...superplay dvd was much better than Crapgaluda's and the graphics are better, and better scoring system..but thats all in my opinion..so if people feel otherwise, i can fully respect their opinions..becuz when it comes down to it..its all about taste...and DDP DOJ gave me the best taste in my mouth for a while.

Edit: I remember a time when everyone on the forum rushed to get thier ps2 modded when DDP DOJ came out..and i was one of them people!
The cave whore count in this thread is unbelievable!!!