Twinbee series

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
dboeren

Twinbee series

Post by dboeren »

I had never really played these games much, but after checking them out some of them are pretty cool! I think Detana! Twinbee (aka Bells & Whistles) is my favorite so far. Now I finally understand the Twinbee aspects of Gokujyou Parodius better too.

I particularly like that in Detana! you just have to press one button and it fires both shots AND ground bombs. I never liked games that make you press two separate buttons for air & ground, it always felt wierd and unshmuppish to me.

Any other Twinbee fans? What are generally considered the best games of this series?
Currently playing: Gunbird 2 PCB
BrianC

Re: Twinbee series

Post by BrianC »

dboeren wrote:I had never really played these games much, but after checking them out some of them are pretty cool! I think Detana! Twinbee (aka Bells & Whistles) is my favorite so far. Now I finally understand the Twinbee aspects of Gokujyou Parodius better too.

I particularly like that in Detana! you just have to press one button and it fires both shots AND ground bombs. I never liked games that make you press two separate buttons for air & ground, it always felt wierd and unshmuppish to me.

Any other Twinbee fans? What are generally considered the best games of this series?
Umm, most versions of Detana have seperate buttons for shot and bomb and, except for Yahho, the other Twinbee games have seperate buttons for shot and bomb too. I'm not sure if you can change the setting for the Japanese version of Detana, but, unlike Bells and Whistles, the defualt setting has seperate buttons for shot and bomb. I really need to check the option menu in my Detana Twinbee Deluxe Pack again.
Blue Lander

Post by Blue Lander »

The X68000 version of Detana Twinbee uses a seperate button for shooting and bombing, too.

I've only played three Twinbee games. Twinbee, Stinger, and Detana Twinbee. Detana Twinbee is my favorite by far. I haven't tried any of the newer Twinbee games, but those look good too.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I think the games generally considered the best of the series are Detanta Twinbee and Pop 'n Twinbee. I love the original, Stinger/Moreo Twinbee, what I played of Twinbee 3, and Yahho too, though.

The way Bells and Whistles works in MAME makes me wonder if that version went with a one button setup instead of two buttons like the Japanese version of Detana Twinbee.
alpha5099

Post by alpha5099 »

I've only played the games in the Deluxe Pack, and I prefer TwinBee to Detana. But they're both great.

And when I play Detana, I "cheat" and go into the options and map Shot and Bomb to the same button.
dboeren

Buttons

Post by dboeren »

It looks like BrianC is right, Bells & Whistles uses one button, but Detana! Twinbee uses 2 buttons. There are apparently no dip switches or setup mode options to alter this behavior.

However, after trying the Detana! version the 2-button play is better than most games with this model because the bomb crosshairs are somewhat intelligent, which makes it easier to bomb without throwing off your timing. Either version is a good game.
Currently playing: Gunbird 2 PCB
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Yeah, twinbee is armed with intelligent bombs. I love that!

Bells & Whistles is good, but it misses all the kawaii japanese speech "suunki!" "paua-up!" "Zuinbii Ikimasu!" so it takes out half the fun.
X - P - B
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

alpha5099 wrote:I've only played the games in the Deluxe Pack, and I prefer TwinBee to Detana. But they're both great.

And when I play Detana, I "cheat" and go into the options and map Shot and Bomb to the same button.
You mean, you prefer Yahho-! to Detana, right? "Twinbee" is not present in the Deluxe Pack
X - P - B
alpha5099

Post by alpha5099 »

Turrican wrote:
alpha5099 wrote:I've only played the games in the Deluxe Pack, and I prefer TwinBee to Detana. But they're both great.

You mean, you prefer Yahho-! to Detana, right? "Twinbee" is not present in the Deluxe Pack
Oops, yeah, that's what I meant.
Andi

Post by Andi »

Yeah, Yahho seems to be the best in the series to me. I used to play it pretty religiously until I reached the Alice boss at the end of stage 5 and realized that I would never get any farther.