Oldskool throwback shmups

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
dboeren

Oldskool throwback shmups

Post by dboeren »

I was playing some Mahou Daisakusen and one thing that made it really cool was how this 1993 game had bosses with a very classic feel, as if they came from the 80's era games. I'm thinking particularly of the giant blob boss on level 2 or 3.

What are some other more modern shmups with bosses that preserve the oldskool feel? I realize that to some the difference between 1993 and say 1987 is picking nits, but to me Mahou Daisakusen really managed to pull off a retro feel very well.

I mean, I love modern manic shmups too, and funky chaining stuff like Mars Matrix, but it's also fun to go back to shmuppings roots.
Currently playing: Gunbird 2 PCB
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Xevious 3D + G is a good old school throwback shmup IMO.
malc
Site Admin

Post by malc »

Ahh the Giant blob boss on level 3. I always call him the WillyWaver meself.

malc
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Probably Star Soldier: Vanishing Earth from 1998. Traditional gameplay, poor graphics, fairly short, easy to 1CC, only emphasis is score with a multiplier for chaining together kills. However, you do get a reflector, which is a modern element.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

I'd like to see more comparisons on this site between different ports of throw-back shmups.

I do know that the Asteroids remake is supposedly better then the N64 one, while the reverse is supposedly true for the Robotron remake.

But what about others, like Space Invaders, Temepest, etc?
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

Out of curiosity, how many stages is Star Soldier: Vanishing Earth? Because I think I came close to 1CC'ing it, that game was throwing life extends at me like rocks, but then I started losing a lot of lives during boss battles and finally lost them all :( and then I haven't played it since..
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

I don't know, but I LOVE that game! It's my fav. in the Star Soldier series by far, and I traded for a N64 this past week partly so I could play it! :D
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

IIRC, there's 7 stages in Vanishing Earth with 3 bonus stages you can find by shooting down a specific set of enemies during 3 stages.
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

7 stages??? Aaarrrggghhh!!!! I think I lost all my lives at the stage 7 boss..!! Urgh! I was soooooo close..!
*next target for 1CC*