How much graphical hit does Raystorm take on the Saturn??...

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
dave4shmups

How much graphical hit does Raystorm take on the Saturn??...

Post by dave4shmups »

I loved the arcade and PS1 version of this, but supposedly the Saturn version isn't as good graphically. How much worse is it?
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
Kiken

Re: How much graphical hit does Raystorm take on the Saturn?

Post by Kiken »

dave4shmups wrote:I loved the arcade and PS1 version of this, but supposedly the Saturn version isn't as good graphically. How much worse is it?
The graphics are much more stark in comparison to the PSX rev. Also, the 3D transparencies are poor.

The Saturn version adds between level cinemas and the R-Gray 0 as a standard selectable ship (this wasn't in the original PSX rev, but was included as the final ship in "13 Ships Mode" in the PSX rereleases).

Some of the soundtrack has also been remixed.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Interesting, thanks. I guess Taito couldn't get a hang of programming Saturn transparencies either. But sounds like it's worth getting for a remixed soundtrack. Would you consider the music better than the PS version's?
system11

Post by system11 »

Stick with the PS1 version - the Saturn one is plain ugly in comparison, and very jerky in lots of places.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Ganelon wrote:Interesting, thanks. I guess Taito couldn't get a hang of programming Saturn transparencies either. But sounds like it's worth getting for a remixed soundtrack. Would you consider the music better than the PS version's?
Well, 3D tranaparencies were a total PITA to program on the Saturn. 2D transpanrecies were considerably easier.

And actually, Taito didn't handle the port, Media Quest did (I believe they also handled the Saturn port of Sonic Wings Special).

The remixed soundtrack is.... odd. I don't really like it in comparison to the PSX original. One of my favourite tunes from PSX rev (the one that plays after you select your game type... the R-Gray 1 is shown head on with a metal grey background) really sounds lifeless on the Saturn. :/

However, seeing as how strange a ship the R-Gray 0 is, if you can find a copy for around $30 (in good or better condition), I'd say go for it if you're a fan.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

I'm pretty sure that the Taito hardware that Raystorm was made on is very similar to PS1 hardware. Same with G-Darius and Raycrisis, I think.
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
dboeren

Hardware

Post by dboeren »

I'm pretty sure that the Taito hardware that Raystorm was made on is very similar to PS1 hardware. Same with G-Darius and Raycrisis, I think.
Raystorm and G-Darius yes, these ran on the Namco System 11 board, which is essentially a souped-up PS1. RayCrisis, however, ran on the Taito G-Net board, which is a more powerful beast. The G-Net is the same board that Psyvariar later ran on.
Currently playing: Gunbird 2 PCB
Frogacuda

Re: Hardware

Post by Frogacuda »

dboeren wrote:
Raystorm and G-Darius yes, these ran on the Namco System 11 board, which is essentially a souped-up PS1. RayCrisis, however, ran on the Taito G-Net board, which is a more powerful beast. The G-Net is the same board that Psyvariar later ran on.
G-Net may be more powerful, but it is still closely based on PS1 hardware. G-Net to PS1 ports often have scrifices, though. Night Raid and RayCrisis axed two player, I beleive.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

And the PS couldn't handle Chaos Heat at all so Taito made a really crappy survival horror sequel called Chaos Break. A disgrace to the cool arcade game; it should've been one of the first in line to receive a DC port.
Balzac

Post by Balzac »

Holy shit, Chaos Heat. I played that years ago back in.....1999? 2000?

Fun little Gauntlet clone.

Is it emulated in Mame? Maybe a Saturn port?
Good luck or cry.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Nope, it's stuck in arcade limbo...but hey if Sega can release Spikeout now when it's even older, surely Taito could release a slicker looking Chaos Heat?
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

Ganelon wrote:Nope, it's stuck in arcade limbo...but hey if Sega can release Spikeout now when it's even older, surely Taito could release a slicker looking Chaos Heat?
There's something I'd like to see Taito bring out- Chaos Heat for PS2, with the graphics bumped up a few notches (like Namco did with Time Crisis & Crisis Zone).

As for other G-Net ports- RC de Go has lower resolution on PS (the G-Net version is 640x480 I'm sure). Night Raid is actually perfect other than its ditching 2 player- it may be the closest G-Net->PS port.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I thought the saturn version was 2D :shock:

Interesting about Gnet being a ps1 relative. Alot of System11/12 games suffered on PS1 due to memory restrictions. In the arcade you could just add 3 meg here, 6 meg there. With the playstation you had 2 meg of memory I believe. Pittance by todays standards.

Gnet probably supports higher resolution and more memory, that would make a big difference over the ps1 hardware.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.