Do you ever get beginner's luck in shmups?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Blue Lander

Do you ever get beginner's luck in shmups?

Post by Blue Lander »

Because I apparently do.

I recently started playing Gradius II. The day or day after I started playing it, I made it all the way to level 7. Since that's the second to last level, I think "great, I'll have this game done by tomorrow. The day after at the latest."

That was two weeks ago and I still haven't beat it. For some reason, my luck just vanished and I had to start from scratch. It took me about a week to get to level 7 again, and just yesterday I finally made it to level 8 for the first time. One day I could make it to level 7 without any practice, then the next I can't beat level 4 no matter how many times I've tried. Does this happen to anybody else?
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Happens to me often. I put a shmup for the first time and I do really well. Then I say, ok let's get serious... But it seems that when I try hard, I do fare worse than before. Perhaps I can't stand the psychological pressure.

This makes me mad :evil:
X - P - B
Dandy J

Post by Dandy J »

Seems like I get really lucky in Psyvariar 2 a lot. Between the sporadic invincibility, small hitbox, and small bullets, I often survive without even trying. I remember Fighting the stage 5 boss, and there were like 4 times I thought I'd totally fucked up, and I didn't die even once.

Seems to me Psyvariar 2 only functions correctly at the very highest level, where dying isn't an issue and it's just about buzzing.
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

As I recall, my best response to Mars Matrix was my first. It's been downhill ever since. This has happened to me several times, actually.
dboeren

Beginner's Luck

Post by dboeren »

Sometimes beginner's luck has a reason.

I just got my Twin Cobra PCB yesterday, and couldn't wait to plug it in and try it out. Well, on my first play, I did pretty well. Got quite a bit further than I usually do in MAME. At first I attributed it to using a real arcade stick instead of the keyboard. Then after I had gotten over the initial excitement and was checking the DIP switches I realized the previous owner had set it on easy difficulty!
Currently playing: Gunbird 2 PCB
raiden

Post by raiden »

happens to me a lot, too. DDP is especially notorious, my best scores are always runs where I´m not focussed at all, just playing around and expecting nothing. Recently, it happened with RFJ, lost 2 ships in the first 2 stages and proceeded to beat my old score.
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

The 1st time I played Raiden on my life (Raiden Trad on Mega-Drive) I got to level 6. I played it only once.

Months later I got the chance to play the game again, and I needed LOTS and LOTS of plays to reach level 6 again.

Nowadays whenever I fire up Raiden, I die around level 3 or level 4 :)

Though to be honest, in my 1st go I had a couple of friends giving me lots of advices through the game. I was playing on their Mega-Drive, and they had just got the game with another friend. They had played it the whole week, and could never get past the level 5 boss. I played it the game for a FIRST time and I BEAT level 5 boss :)
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Not usually...I generally do awful at the start, and after practice...well, I'm still awful, just not quite as awful as before.
gmw

Post by gmw »

Only happened to me memorably with ESPGaluda - got it on PS2 release, popped the game in, started playing and nearly hit stage 5 on one credit. Next few runs, I died on stage 2....
Then it took me about a month of regular play to start getting back to 4/5 again.
FRO

Post by FRO »

3rd or 4th time I fired up DonPachi on Saturn I reached the 3rd stage boss on 1 credit & almost beat him. Now I'm lucky to get through the 1st stage on 1 credit :oops:
captain ahar

Re: Beginner's Luck

Post by captain ahar »

dboeren wrote:I just got my Twin Cobra PCB yesterday, and couldn't wait to plug it in and try it out. Well, on my first play, I did pretty well. Got quite a bit further than I usually do in MAME. At first I attributed it to using a real arcade stick instead of the keyboard. Then after I had gotten over the initial excitement and was checking the DIP switches I realized the previous owner had set it on easy difficulty!
funny story. but man that sucks. same thing (sort of) happened to me while playing Gradius V, played it for the first time in months. got just past the organic boss, and lost my last life. turns out those months ago i set it to very easy (so i could clear the game for Weapon Edit) and had forgotten. :oops:

yeah i really suck at Gradius by the way (but i love it so).
I have no sig whatsoever.
Ord

Post by Ord »

The first time i played Espgaluda i got through to the boss on the 3rd level in one credit. :D i was sooo chuffed! until i realised that it was Caves easiest game and it was made to be accesable to the manic n00b. :oops:
Ikaruga review now up in PLASMA BLOSSOM
shiftace

Post by shiftace »

Happens to me all the time. Maybe it has to do with changing attention, because the second/third time through I'll be trying to remember what comes ahead, so my reflexes and timing will be different, and what worked the first time won't work any more. Then after about 20 more tries I'll know in detail what's coming and do well again. Something like that. That's all just speculation if you're kind about it, or BS if you're not.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Well, when I was 10, I beat Life Force on my 2nd try with continues. Other than that, no beginner's luck I'm afraid.
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

Ganelon wrote:Well, when I was 10, I beat Life Force on my 2nd try with continues. Other than that, no beginner's luck I'm afraid.
So, I guess you really didn't "beat" it then? "Played through it" yes...but not "beat it".

I don't think its beginners luck at all, its just that sometimes, your playing is just "ON".
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Yeah, I didn't "beat" it. I just completed it in the confines of its 3 continues. Unimpressive by itself but still alright for my second time through the game that was only the 3rd shmup I ever played.

As for playing "on fire," I notice that it doesn't happen whenever I'm tired or stressed out.
Tomtom

Post by Tomtom »

Yeah, beginner's luck all the way. I got to the last boss (or maybe it was 2nd to last) in Battle Bakraid the first time I played and haven't gotten close since :(
IlMrm

Post by IlMrm »

After a few tries of playing the manic games(DDP, DDP DOJ, Galuda, Ra. De., Guwange, Ketsui, etc) for the first time, I went to stage four on all of them. I didn't know the scoring rules, enemy placement/patterns, which made it very fun. I did lots of sweeps, and bullet herding, and bombed when stuck. Bombed the hell out of the bosses too.

Also went to stage five on GWG on my second or third try. Later I played it at HEY!, but only went to the stage four boss(the mask). I was nervous since there were around 10 people watching me.

I think I play much better in the arcades.
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

Never happens to me. For a completely new shmup to me, I rarely last one minute through the first stage on my first playthrough.
shadowstar

Post by shadowstar »

My first play in Guwange yielded a run to stage 4 on one life. I had to go do something, so I turned the game off. My next try took me 2 credits and 2 lives to get that far.

I can repeat my 'beginner's luck' on a good day now, but I'm still working on the 1-CC. :roll:
chtimi-CLA

Post by chtimi-CLA »

no,nothing fancy like that. i find it happens more with fighters, like soulcalibur (especially if the non-beginner doesn't adapt his strategy).
Skyline

Post by Skyline »

My definition of "beginner's luck" is the first time playing a game, completely oblivious to the intricacies of the game's scoring/weapons system. I just play the game like a normal blaster, dodging and firing away.

Then I start to digest the game's scoring paradigms. And from then on, I try my best to utilize them to their maximum potential (read: score-whoring)

That never gets me far...heh.

Come to think of it, I'd actually get past Stage 3-1 in Shiki II Extreme Mode if I wasn't so hell-bent on x8 coins and boss kills. :?
kemical

Post by kemical »

happens to me sometimes, with other games and things also..
I think that it could be similar to what happens when you see a commercial or a cool movie trailer that catches your attention for the first time, the feeling of watching it seems to last much longer than it really is, when you go back and see it again it goes by much quicker.

I've noticed that sometimes on my first try after a day or two not playing the game I will do pretty well, and then it goes downhill after that first or second try... but not all the time, kind of strange :o
kemical

Post by kemical »

happens to me sometimes, with other games and things also..
I think that it could be similar to what happens when you see a commercial or a cool movie trailer that catches your attention for the first time, the feeling of watching it seems to last much longer than it really is, when you go back and see it again it goes by much quicker.

I've noticed that sometimes on my first try after a day or two not playing the game I will do pretty well, and then it goes downhill after that first or second try... but not all the time, kind of strange :o