GRADIUS vs R-TYPE

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
yojo!

Post by yojo! »

Rtype gameplay is more fair that Gradius. You can finish every levels in Rtype 1st loop after dying and starting with zero options.
Try to do that with Gradius. One you die you might as well reset your console and restart from level 1. The only exception is Gradius V where you can grab you option back after you die. Thanks Treasure !

Also Rtype 'sgraphics are still top noch even after nearly 20 years. I can't say the same with Gradius. S my vote goes for Rtype
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

well that was the mid-80's, and Gradius is two years older. on top of that i think Gradius palette usage is really nice. the last level of Gradius has some nice tiling on the background (its an interior).

I have no sig whatsoever.
MSZ

Post by MSZ »

SPACE HARRIER wrote:The most of you like the GRADIUS series,BUT I WON'T GIVE UP!!!
HERE IS MY FINAL BLOW;
On GRADIUS V you ONLY have ONE ship to play with and a handfull weapons to use...COME ONE!!
On R-TYPE FINAL you have 101 ships to choose from...you also can choose your own weapons!! HELL YEAH!!

For replay value:R-TYPE wins this round..
This is the last blow for sure, we all knew this is the exact reason why R-Type Final is so bad compare to Gradius V.

Quantity over quality? Oh yes.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

But who plays shooters just to unlock more stuff? R-Type Final is like the only game to have that and from the reception, we can all see how most shooter fans feel about meaninglessly accomplishing objectives to unlock more ships. In the end, I find that it's more a chore than an enjoyable replay experience. But all the more power to you if that upped your replay.
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

tehkao wrote:Hmm..this is a really tough choice.

I guess I would pick Gradius, even though honestly, I prefer R-Type's style of gameplay. I was never a big fan of Gradius' "die once and you're screwed and have to start over" style of gameplay.

But unfortunately R-Type franchise only has 2 or 3 really great games (1, 3, maybe Delta) while Gradius outnumbers it quite a bit with 1,2,Gaiden,5,Lifeforce,Salamander 2, etc.
Yea sure, R-Type is a cakewalk even without a Force or even Bits!!!

The only reason I'll go with Gradius here is because of the cool soundtracks.
Still, I have much love for R-Type series though...
chtimi-CLA

Post by chtimi-CLA »

r-type easily, even if gradius 5 is much better than r-type final. i never really liked konami shmups though.
supaT

Post by supaT »

I never liked a Gradius except Gradius II. Dont know why. So I wouldnt say I dislike Konami in general. Salamander, for instance, feels right too.

For R-Type, I nearly like all of them.
gigadrive32

Post by gigadrive32 »

As far as the original 1985 Gradius arcade vs the original 1987 R-Type arcade, R-Type wins hands down. much more fun. far more impressive bosses. cool gameplay with the charge beam and force unit.

as fas a R-Type Final vs Gradius V, Gradius V wins hands down. and on the same hardware, and only about 1 year apart.