Shikigami No Shiro 2 console versions

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Acid King

Shikigami No Shiro 2 console versions

Post by Acid King »

I'm curious about the different console versions of Shikigami 2. I was originally going to get it for DC but wound up ordering it along with Berserk with my Japanese PS2 cause I could get the LE version... then I played Mobile Light Force 2 and the slowdown gave me second thoughts. I also read that the gamecube version has a 'Wait' function that mimics the slowdown from the arcade which makes me think it runs without a hitch like Ikaruga does. Anywho... anyone have a clue to what the best, fastest running version of it is on?
Feedback will set you free.
captpain wrote:Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb
Neon

Post by Neon »

I also read that the gamecube version has a 'Wait' function that mimics the slowdown from the arcade which makes me think it runs without a hitch like Ikaruga does.
let's not start that again!

Anyways, the gamecube version is widely considered the best version of shiki2.
df0notfound

Post by df0notfound »

and ps2 the worst
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

Thanks, that's all I needed.
captpain wrote:Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

Ok, I'm curious now...what's so bad about the PS2 port? For the record, I have the XS-Games USA port. The game seems just fine to me.
You can turn the "wait" control ON or OFF, plus it features full TATE mode.
Really, I cannot find anything wrong with this port. The game is solid and the graphics are good. What is so special about the GameCube version other than this being the second shmup ever made for it?
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

:roll: Bullshit.

All the console ports are pretty much equal. All have TATE, all have Wait. There's really nothing different about them, get the one that's most convinient for you.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
kong

Post by kong »

I'm also curious. Personally I don't think you can beat the xs port, especially when you consider the $10 price.
mannerbot

Post by mannerbot »

Does the DC one have wait off? It gets the added bonus of VGA output if so.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

I'll pick DC or GC over PS2 anyday just because of the VGA/progressive output. Why settle for for just 15khz?
landshark

Post by landshark »

I have the US PS2 version as well - I think it's great for the money.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

Dave_K. wrote:Why settle for for just 15khz?
Because...
A) My dedicated tate monitor is a 15khz RGB.
B) Because it's 50 dollars more for the DC version.
Ronz

Post by Ronz »

I have the XS Games PS2 port myself, and i've also played the DC version. Either one isn't too bad, and you really can't beat the $10 price tag that goes with the PS2 port.

Although good luck finding the PS2 version. I haven't seen any copies in my local game stores since the inital release. Of course there is always Ebay.
stoneroses

Post by stoneroses »

I didn't even know this game existed until a few days ago.

The only place I found it was on walmart.com, I just ordered it and it is being shipped. It would be the USA NTSC version for the PS2.
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

Here:
Castle Shikigami 2 aplenty!!!
All under $10 bucks...plus shipping

http://search.ebay.com/Castle-Shikigami ... 1QQfromZR8
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

OmegaFlareX wrote:
Because...
Note...not because of superior image, though I can appreciate your reasons. :wink: (Naomi looks best in it's original hi-res)

As for the better version; all of them are of similar quality to be sure. It depends on your preference, which there many +/- things to list. I will attempt a few highlights, in the order of their release:

GC - arranged sounds, 'wait on' is most natural, VGA/480p support though not as sharp as DC's
PS2 - extra boss rush mode, no VGA support like arcade original
DC - best display, 1/1 arcade faithful - no 'wait off', extra edit mode for changing game parameters like enemy and bullet size
Last edited by oxtsu on Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

oxtsu wrote:
OmegaFlareX wrote:
Because...
Note...not because of superior image, though I can appreciate your reasons. :wink: (Naomi looks best in it's original hi-res)

As for the better version; all of them are of similar quality to be sure. It depends on your preference, which there many +/- things to list. I will attempt a few highlights, in the order of their release:

GC - arranged sounds, 'wait on' is most natural, VGA/480p support though not as sharp as DC's
PS2 - extra boss rush mode, no VGA support like arcade original
DC - best display, 1/1 arcade faithful - no 'wait on', extra edit mode for changing game parameters like enemy and bullet size
BTW, the US PS2 version also has the extra edit mode for changing game parameters like bullet size and game speed. It's unlocked for playing the game for awhile. My guess is that it is also in the GCN, Japanese PS2, and Xbox versions too. The PS2 version also has the option to use the arcade music or remixed versions of the music from Castle Shikigami 1. Is this what you meant by arranged sounds?
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

BrianC wrote:BTW, the US PS2 version also has the extra edit mode for changing game parameters like bullet size and game speed. It's unlocked for playing the game for awhile. My guess is that it is also in the GCN, Japanese PS2, and Xbox versions too.
It's definitely not in the GC version. I haven't spent enough time with the PS2 rev to unlock the different things, but the word a long time ago was that it (JP release) didn't have the extra edit mode. Are you 100% sure about it?
BrianC wrote:The PS2 version also has the option to use the arcade music or remixed versions of the music from Castle Shikigami 1. Is this what you meant by arranged sounds?
No, I mean higher quality samples, etc., for music (same as used for the OST album, unlike DC version which uses more synth-y, lower quality Naomi sounds).
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

oxtsu wrote:
BrianC wrote:BTW, the US PS2 version also has the extra edit mode for changing game parameters like bullet size and game speed. It's unlocked for playing the game for awhile. My guess is that it is also in the GCN, Japanese PS2, and Xbox versions too.
It's definitely not in the GC version. I haven't spent enough time with the PS2 rev to unlock the different things, but the word a long time ago was that it (JP release) didn't have the extra edit mode. Are you 100% sure about it?
BrianC wrote:The PS2 version also has the option to use the arcade music or remixed versions of the music from Castle Shikigami 1. Is this what you meant by arranged sounds?
No, I mean higher quality samples, etc., for music (same as used for the OST album, unlike DC version which uses more synth-y, lower quality Naomi sounds).
Yes, I'm 100% sure about the extra edit mode in the US PS2 version. I even played the game with the bigger projectiles and faster speed. It also has the option to change the patterns for the extreme mode. Those extra patterns are evil! IMO, speeding up the game works best when you slow down the bullet speed. It's fun trying the game different ways. It's too bad this mode isn't in the GCN version. It did take me awhile to earn the mode for the PS2 one, though. I think I got it after 8 credits and when the game became free play, maybe even after that. To be honest, I didn't even know I had it until I went to the options menu to change the options and saw it there. It's hard to notice at first becuase it's in the options menu, not the main menu and, if I remember correctly, the game doesn't tell you when you get it.

Ahh, it sounds like all versions have their advantages, except maybe the Xbox one since it wasn't mentioned. Or did you just not mention the Xbox version becuase you haven't played it? I don't blame you if you haven't played it, though. The Xbox is overrated, though it does have some good games.
KrazyJoker

Post by KrazyJoker »

DC version is definetly the best. But I just bought "Castle Shikigami 2" for the US PS2, and I really see no difference between them graphic-wise. Almost makes me mad that I had to pay $50 for the DC import.
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

^Well, it is after all an import.
To some, this is a big deal.
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

TWITCHDOCTOR wrote:Ok, I'm curious now...what's so bad about the PS2 port? For the record, I have the XS-Games USA port. The game seems just fine to me.
You can turn the "wait" control ON or OFF, plus it features full TATE mode.
Really, I cannot find anything wrong with this port. The game is solid and the graphics are good. What is so special about the GameCube version other than this being the second shmup ever made for it?
It's a darn good one. I got it for a friend for Christmas and we played it on his PS2- with my owning the GCN and DC imports, I've got to say this one is a definite direct hit just like any other version of SnS2. Now I've gotta track another copy down for myself before too long. :) I did have to turn to eBay for it- this was a toughie to find during the holiday.

Extreme mode is probably what inspired Cave to put the Ultra mode in Mushihime.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

Ghegs wrote::roll: Bullshit.

All the console ports are pretty much equal. All have TATE, all have Wait. There's really nothing different about them, get the one that's most convinient for you.
My order for the japanese PS2 version has already gone through and I'm not goin to can my order and have to wait another week for my shit, esp. when I don't have a US PS2 and the GC version is more expensive.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

gameoverDude wrote:Extreme mode is probably what inspired Cave to put the Ultra mode in Mushihime.
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but "Extreme Mode" in SnS2 causes enemies to release "suicide bullets" when you blast them, right? Does Mushi's "Ultra" mode do the same thing? I was under the impression that in "Ultra" enemies just plain shot more stuff at you...in any case, the "harder difficulty with more suicide bullets" idea isn't new to SnS; Super Aleste actually had two such modes of varying difficulty, called "Crazy" and "Wild" if I remember right.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

oxtsu wrote:It's definitely not in the GC version. I haven't spent enough time with the PS2 rev to unlock the different things, but the word a long time ago was that it (JP release) didn't have the extra edit mode. Are you 100% sure about it?
JP PS2 version has the Extra Edit as well. Bullet speed, size, all that stuff. I think I unlocked it after 10 or so hours of play.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
sffan

Post by sffan »

BulletMagnet wrote: Forgive me if I'm wrong, but "Extreme Mode" in SnS2 causes enemies to release "suicide bullets" when you blast them, right?
More like "homicide bullets" since the enemies don't kill themselves. :wink:
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

BrianC wrote:Ahh, it sounds like all versions have their advantages, except maybe the Xbox one since it wasn't mentioned. Or did you just not mention the Xbox version becuase you haven't played it? I don't blame you if you haven't played it, though. The Xbox is overrated, though it does have some good games.
I haven't played the Xbox version, yeah. It adds the 'Live' function, though I don't know if it's just an online scoreboard that can be accessed via Xbox or if it allows the more exciting apsect of 2-player online matching. I'm curious to know.
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Post by Thunder Force »

oxtsu wrote:I haven't played the Xbox version, yeah. It adds the 'Live' function, though I don't know if it's just an online scoreboard that can be accessed via Xbox or if it allows the more exciting apsect of 2-player online matching. I'm curious to know.
There is no console shmup on the market right now with any 2-player online co-op play. If there were, I'd be all over it. :wink:

The most sophisticated use of a console online service for a shmup is Psyvariar 2: Extend Edition which apparently allows transfer of replay files via Xbox Live (JP only). I wonder how that works.
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

Thunder Force, you're correct there about the Live function. It's for scoreboard and content download only (extra gallery images, etc.). Here's hoping some shmup in the near future that takes advantage of the 1P-2P simultaneous play!

There are two other main additions. It adds the option to change between arcade original and arranged sounds (-good!-). Also, for the practice mode, it allows the player invincibility for pattern testing and the like (-'cheap' or excellent for score attack, depending on who you ask-). There's no mention of the extra edit or boss rush modes though.
Neon

Post by Neon »

Here's hoping some shmup in the near future that takes advantage of the 1P-2P simultaneous play!
MAME32k :twisted: