Your High Scores Signing Initial and What it Stands For

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
gundamalpha

Post by gundamalpha »

LOY as my friends can't pronounce my name ROY most of the time
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

Usually TWE , which stands for The Waterfall Effect (an optical illusion where if you look at something moving/flowing in one direction for a few minutes, like a waterfall, it appears to move backwards. It's also the name of my long-time solo music project).

Sometimes I use KEJ, which are my initials backwards. When the game allows at least 7 characters (pretty rare), I sign it TWE-KEJ .
BBH

Post by BBH »

my name is Matt but my high score initials are BBH.

back in the 6th grade I was doodling on a book cover in school and ended up drawing this weird little character that had a bowling ball for a head. I decided to call him Bowling Ball Head because I'm not very creative.

I think it was a year or two later that I got a crappy score in some game and instead of entering in my own initials (MGH), I put in BBH instead. Then I realized that was much faster to enter in on a game than my own initials so I started using that all the time. Naturally I decided to use those same initials when I later went on local bulletin board systems and the intarweb.

yay
Trevor spencer

Post by Trevor spencer »

TJS

my initals
DC906270

Post by DC906270 »

mine.... BIL. As it is kind of a short form for my first name.
Last Guardian

Post by Last Guardian »

REZ or R3Z, from rezurect, my often used tag when young and pissed with national railway services.
Airspace under control get back 100 %
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Usually TWE , which stands for The Waterfall Effect (an optical illusion where if you look at something moving/flowing in one direction for a few minutes, like a waterfall, it appears to move backwards.
Does that also apply to tyre rims and whatnot? When cars go particularly fast, it sometimes looks to me as though the wheels are turning in the opposite direction.
howmuchkeefe

Post by howmuchkeefe »

I used to use the shortened form of my real first name, but then I took a long, long break from score oriented games (played almost nothing but fighting games, Japanese RPGs and the odd survival horror game for nearly ten years).

Nowadays, I use HMK. I have no idea what it means.
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

TON
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
mice

Post by mice »

Used to write AEB, because Andrew Braybrook did...doh!
Then I swithced to MMT, which is my initals with a Mr in front.
Ex_Mosquito

Post by Ex_Mosquito »

MPS My real name initials. Mark P Stevens. nothing fancy.
My Arcade 1-Credit Replays
http://www.youtube.com/user/exmosquito
ill6

Post by ill6 »

SIX . A version of an old tag I used to use.
Michaelm

Post by Michaelm »

MOM

First three letters of my last name.
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

Bal-Sagoth wrote:
Usually TWE , which stands for The Waterfall Effect (an optical illusion where if you look at something moving/flowing in one direction for a few minutes, like a waterfall, it appears to move backwards.
Does that also apply to tyre rims and whatnot? When cars go particularly fast, it sometimes looks to me as though the wheels are turning in the opposite direction.
Yep. It's the same illusion. It also happens with spirals and vinyl records (just stare at a spinning record for a couple minutes). It was first discovered with waterfalls (by Aristotle), hence the name. Stare at a waterfall long enough and the water will start to appear to be moving up the falls.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

I'd love to try that out at Niagara. :D
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

KIK

The first 3 letters of my handle. In games that allow 4 characters I'll enter KIKN (the exception being Guwange, where I can type in my handle in 3 characters: きけん) and in those that allow 5 or more KIKEN.
infamous lunchbox

Post by infamous lunchbox »

I use LBX now. Comes from an old nickname I got years back (Lunchbox), even my license plate is Lnchbox. Haha.

I used to use my initials, but then people kept asking what my middle name is, and since I hate it, I wouldn't tell them. This gets severly annoying when somebody keeps asking you what your name is, every day, for 3 years. Sadly I am not exagerating that. I finally told the bastard, made him swear on blood-oath it would never be revealed though. He gets hassled about it as he's one of few who know it, and other friends know that. As for Aphex I think you should go with NRD, it fits your real name well. I never noticed FUK on your cabinet at home though. I guess you play well all the time then?
elvis

Post by elvis »

DAN - because it's my real name.

Occasionally ELV if I'm gaming with online buddies at a meetup or something and nobody in the room knows me as anything but "elvis".
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

twe wrote:
Bal-Sagoth wrote:
Yep. It's the same illusion. It also happens with spirals and vinyl records (just stare at a spinning record for a couple minutes). It was first discovered with waterfalls (by Aristotle), hence the name. Stare at a waterfall long enough and the water will start to appear to be moving up the falls.
I thought you were The West Exit... are you?
ahnslaught

Post by ahnslaught »

ASL for ahnslaught, which is a weird but clever (at least I think) nickname my buddy in college made up one day...it's kinda stuck, and I use it for stuff like this.

If I feel lazy, though, I just type ACE - easy to input, and no game I've ever played puts some other initial over it, like with AAA
Eps

Post by Eps »

circuitface wrote:It doesn't stand for Ejaculations Per Second does it?
Yes. As many as my lady friend wants.

(Real answer: no. :D )
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

iatneH wrote: I thought you were The West Exit... are you?
no, that's The Wrong Explanation. :lol:
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

RWS are my initials which I usually use at home.

Sometimes put BAD in the arcades. Especially if I did really bad, its like my alter alias when I do crap.

I will put BAD if the interface is really slow, or goes through every character conceivable. Why do Capcom games have !@#$%^&*&*(())(^&^%^$%%#@#@# before you get to any numbers and letters and you have to D-pad up or down for every character, its ridiculous.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
radiant Zion

Post by radiant Zion »

JAH

thats my initials

plus it makes it seem like God came down to smash up a shooter every now and then.

its better when playing a fighter, earn an insane high score (by brutalizing a couple of 2nd players) and then walk off all humble.
landshark

Post by landshark »

Twiddle wrote:I try to fit in an expletive if I know I can get two adjacent scores in games like metal slug

examples:

CUN
T__

FUC
K__

BIT
CH_

i'm not banned from the arcade (namely, D&B) yet 8)
Your D&B has metal slug?!
landshark

Post by landshark »

COW

It's one of those black and white things that tastes like hamburger.

Why? I'm still trying to figure that out.
J-Manic

Post by J-Manic »

I usually enter JON, which is short for my real name John.

I also sometimes enter 429, which is my b-day.
Ko.oS

Post by Ko.oS »

CLD

= my first name w/o the vowels (ie. if my name was James i would enter JMS)

im impatient, so most of the time i just enter AAA -- or goofy crap like ACK, BAH, 007, TOY, ICE, !!!, UPS, DAM, ETC, etc
diOdesu

Post by diOdesu »

DIO = first 3 letters of last name
COS = c*cks of satan = gang
REI = only way to spell my name in katakana = zero = loser
ghibli99

Post by ghibli99 »

Heh, good thread! Here are mine, through the years:

What I use now:

G99: Based on my current online forum/XBL name, ghibli99. ghibli is a nod to my favorite Japanese animation house, Studio Ghibli, and the 99 is for 1999, when I made tons of money on the stock market, like everyone else. It's also a reminder of the crash that happened the following year, so it keeps me in check.

SPR: Spriggan, old handle I used online on Bemani message boards back in the late '90s/early '00s. Just never changed it.

What I used to use:

MNT/MNG: Mike aNd [insert GF initial]... stupid, I know, but whatevers. :lol:

MKY: Mikey, for the non-GF years. :)

ACE: About the most generic initials you can think of, but as a kid, I thought it was cool, and it took all of 2 seconds to enter.