Virtual Boy shmups.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
SPACE HARRIER

Virtual Boy shmups.

Post by SPACE HARRIER »

Since i own a VIRTUAL BOY there are 2 SHMUPS released for it.
2D shmups in a true THREE DIMESIONAL WORLD!!
VERTICAL FORCE :arrow: http://www.vr32.de/spiele/released/vert ... ndex.e.htm
SPACE INVADERS :arrow: http://www.vr32.de/spiele/released/spac ... ndex.e.htm

)> = = = = = = =
MASTER SATAN

Post by MASTER SATAN »

I used to own one too with all the U.S. released games. I guess those 2 you mentioned were japanese shooters?

Have you played Red Alarm? I know it's 3D, albeit vector, but it is a good shooter nonetheless.
Blue Lander

Post by Blue Lander »

Vertical Force came out in the US. And it's a fantastic shmup! It's by Hudson, and it's very much in the vein of their Star Soldier games on the PC Engine. Even some enemies from the PC Engine games make an appearance. It's pretty much Star Soldier in everything but name.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Yeah, I remembering seeing Vertical Force at a local dept. store back in the day. The bastard child of the Star Soldier series I hear?
roushimsx

Post by roushimsx »

I loved Vertical Force. One of my favorite games on the system.

Tangent - I wish Dragon Hopper would find its way onto the internet at some point. That was the one VB game I wanted more than any other :(
jp

Post by jp »

Vertical Force is the shit, and along with Mario Tennis, Mario Clash, Wario World, and Teleroboxer its actually a damn good reason to own a Virtual Boy.

How many games WERE put on it anyways? I have:
Vertical Force
Teleroboxer
Some Bomberman Puzzle game
Wario World
Mario Tennis
Mario Clash
Tetris
Red Alert
RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!!!!
M0nk3y

Post by M0nk3y »

Check this VirtualBoy site. Complete list of released and unreleased games. Seems there were quite a few shmups by Coconuts that got canned.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

I completed vertical force but man... I think I can say it's good just because there's so little choice on the system.

I agree with Master Satan, Red Alarm is not a shmup but is an awesome game. My favorite game on Virtual Boy, and by far.
X - P - B
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

Blue Lander wrote:Vertical Force came out in the US. And it's a fantastic shmup! It's by Hudson, and it's very much in the vein of their Star Soldier games on the PC Engine. Even some enemies from the PC Engine games make an appearance. It's pretty much Star Soldier in everything but name.
A co-worker brought his Virtual Boy and a ton of games last week, finally got to play Vertical Force and it is very good, like Star Soldier with a twist and very intense. Also had fun playing Wario Land VB and Red Alarm again. He is also a serious Metroid fan like me which is also a plus (since the one guy in the office who I hate had no idea what it was when I asked him to list his fave NES games, "What's Metroid?" :? )
Last edited by Dylan1CC on Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

Yup, Vertical Force was my sole reason for buying a Virtual Boy (got mine in November last year). My only other games are Wario Land and Red Alarm (which both rock too).

My only problem with the game is there's no way to change the ship speed, it moves a bit too quickly for my tastes...
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

All this talk about Vertical Force almost has me wanting to get a Virtual Boy. I rented one of those Virtual Boys once. I loved that Mario Tennis game and Red Alarm.
Darkcomet72

Post by Darkcomet72 »

My favorite VB game was Mario Clash, Galactic Pinball, and Red Alarm.

I never even heard of Vertical force. :?
Ed: He asked for mustard Eddy! Do you have corn in your ears mister?
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Post by Thunder Force »

Edited title so it's not ALL CAPS!
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

The Virtual Boy sounds like it'd be a neat system to own if it wasn't for the fact it's so bad for your eyes! Honestly, how does the short amount of time your supposed to use it so it doesn't cause damage even ALLOW you to complete a game? :?
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

It's no big deal. I myself am quite prone to headaches from long periods of gameplay on any system, but I always turn off the auto pause for Virtual Boy games, and I've probably gone for up to 1.5 hours without stopping, and no headaches. The only bad (not really bad, but more like awesome) thing is that when you stop, the whole world looks green! As long as you have the focus and inter-pupil distance thing calibrated properly, there should be no strain on your eyes whatsoever.
StealthNinjaScyther

Post by StealthNinjaScyther »

Man, it sucks that the "VB is bad for your eyes" myth is still kicking. While it's true that it does give some people headaches, it doesn't do any damage. And like iatneH said, you just need to have everything adjusted right to reduce any possible strain.

Anyway, I must be in the minority here, I don't really care much for Vertical Force. Shots tend to get lost in the red, and it feels too much like an 8 bit shooter. Not that they're bad, I just generally prefer shmups that feel a little more modern. Now I do like the game, but it could have been much better in my opinion.

Now, Red Alarm, though it's a rail shooter and not a true shmup, is a much better game.

And Space Invaders, yeah, I don't have that much money... Can't recall if it's one of the undumped games or not, maybe I should check that out...
SPACE HARRIER

Post by SPACE HARRIER »

SPACE INVADERS did get a limited release in Japan,today it sells on Ebay for about $300 or even more.
It's a real shame that the VIRTUAL BOY was a DEAD ON ARRIVAL system,and never had the chance to get more thirth party support.

)> = = = = =
Blue Lander

Post by Blue Lander »

Yup, the Virtual Boy myth is alive and well to this day. I've played Vertical Force to completion, and it never gave me a headache. I can't remember the VB ever hurting my eyes at all. For those who did get headaches from it, I can only assume they never properly adjusted the VB before they played.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

SPACE HARRIER wrote:SPACE INVADERS did get a limited release in Japan,today it sells on Ebay for about $300 or even more.
It's a real shame that the VIRTUAL BOY was a DEAD ON ARRIVAL system,and never had the chance to get more thirth party support.

)> = = = = =
Wow. I would never imangine a version of Space Invaders being that expensive. Considering all the very good versions available on other systems, I think 300 dollars is a bit much for it.
StealthNinjaScyther

Post by StealthNinjaScyther »

Oh, I just checked up on Space Invaders, it was dumped, but the rom hasn't been released publically.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Well then, if it's just a rumor, I may have to pick up one of these systems; seeing as how "All Your Obscure Gaming Hardware Are Belong To Me!!". (I just got my JVC X'EYE this weekend! :D )
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"