Ikaruga DC vs. GC

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

Neon wrote:Cooperation? Bah, just agreement. I should make a negative comment about the GBA out of spite :twisted:
The point still stands, please do not start these little spats over system library vs. system B, ect. anymore. They always end up getting out of control.
Neon

Post by Neon »

I was just joshing. I like how now it's me who started it, though.

Back on topic? pleeeease?
Dandy J

Post by Dandy J »

Well the GBA has the inherent advantage that IT CAN BE CARRIED AROUND IN YOUR FUCKING POCKET THERE IS NO USE DISCUSSING GBA EXCLUSIVES BECUASE IT DOESNT MATTER YOU CAN CARRY IT AROUND ITS A GBA AAARHHHGUHERhnwG:ENfoINSAEF

Why are you guys talking about the GBA, anyway? I thought this thread was about Ikaruga DC vs NGC?
zubiac

Post by zubiac »

Dandy J wrote:Well the GBA has the inherent advantage that IT CAN BE CARRIED AROUND IN YOUR FUCKING POCKET THERE IS NO USE DISCUSSING GBA EXCLUSIVES BECUASE IT DOESNT MATTER YOU CAN CARRY IT AROUND ITS A GBA AAARHHHGUHERhnwG:ENfoINSAEF

Why are you guys talking about the GBA, anyway? I thought this thread was about Ikaruga DC vs NGC?
*beats Dandy J with the "Read all posts before reply"-stick*

On-topic:
btw,what boxart do you prefer?

The DC original.

The GC japanese version

The GC Pal version(which is basicly the same as the jap one)

or
The GC U.S. version

my vote goes for the GC U.S. boxart.It's a masterpiece of art.
It's kinda weird that the US one looks the best cause normally US boxart is the most horrible.
War is in my Heart -- Death is by my Side
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

DC. You get to see the painting in crystal clarity. Ironically, I only own the US GC version, which I've had for over a year, and I never noticed the same picture in the background... :oops:
Dandy J

Post by Dandy J »

Sorry zubiac I was just trying to be annoying.

Anyway, DC cover is best. US GC cover would be awesome if it didn't have that gay IGN quote.

Wow GC jpn/euro cover is trash!
japtor

Post by japtor »

us cover art would be the best if they didnt butcher the artwork.

im not even talking about the quote. after all the mocking of it, the cover just wouldnt be the same without the frothing demand.

and looking at it in my stack o games, i forgot how much i hate the font they used, and the extra crap they put around the border of the japanese text. that and the levis atari tag. almost forgot about that one.

the best cover (colors over saturated compared to the real one though).
yeah yeah, so its not the game, whatever. otherwise best to worst for me is dc, us, gc jp, pal.
VicViper_Mk2

Post by VicViper_Mk2 »

hey guys, sorry about posting to a few years old topic, but its better than me making a new one and get pointed back to here. i had a few questions i want to ask to further my understanding of Ikaruga

From what i hear, this game is on equal term (if not better) with RS, if you read my post asking why RS is so good, you'll know i'll need to know why Ikaruga is hyped too.

Of course, i would know the answer if i played it, but like Ikaruga, it was released on the DC and GC, two system i couldn't get (my very first console was the PS2, and i got that when the PS3 was about to come out) DC i couldn't get because of the above reason, while GC i just didn't want to get (its a kids system with their mario and pokemon game, not my type) i was frustrated on the fact it wasn't released for the PS2, and i would either have to track down and old system, or get a kid system. Just why DC or GC and not other systems?

looking at screenshot and video, i understood the game's battle system, then i thought: isn't it a bit too simple? polarity changing to absorb bullets sounds like such a simple concept. some might say simple is best, and i agree in certain areas, but surely thats not the only reason that makes this game good.

if there is one reason that i know people loved, its the art for the game. hear that GC has a gallery, though i haven't seen it, i have seen a few of the box arts and they sure do look amazing (im a big fan in cool looking ship)

well, please add anything i might have missed, or correct any mistake i made. much appreciated
Ceph

Post by Ceph »

Buy a Dreamcast. They are a dime a dozen at the moment.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

VicViper_Mk2 wrote:Of course, i would know the answer if i played it, but like Ikaruga, it was released on the DC and GC, two system i couldn't get (my very first console was the PS2, and i got that when the PS3 was about to come out) DC i couldn't get because of the above reason, while GC i just didn't want to get (its a kids system with their mario and pokemon game, not my type) i was frustrated on the fact it wasn't released for the PS2, and i would either have to track down and old system, or get a kid system. Just why DC or GC and not other systems?
As Ceph stated, used DCs are a dime a dozen. Go buy one. The DC port is incredibly close to the NAOMI original (minus some of the arcade's slowdown). Secondly, Treasure did try to port Ikaruga to PS2 and were unsuccessful (most likely for the same reason that Arika ran into with the PS2 Ketsui port).
VicViper_Mk2 wrote: looking at screenshot and video, i understood the game's battle system, then i thought: isn't it a bit too simple? polarity changing to absorb bullets sounds like such a simple concept. some might say simple is best, and i agree in certain areas, but surely thats not the only reason that makes this game good.
The polarity switching combined with the chaining system is what draws (or repels) people to this game.
VicViper_Mk2 wrote: if there is one reason that i know people loved, its the art for the game. hear that GC has a gallery, though i haven't seen it, i have seen a few of the box arts and they sure do look amazing (im a big fan in cool looking ship)
All homeports of Ikaruga have an art gallery (there's also art in the sound test). Hell, even the NAOMI GD-ROM has some extra jpgs on the disc that can be accessed with a computer (same with the DC GD-ROM).
VicViper_Mk2

Post by VicViper_Mk2 »

care to elaborate on the part about the unsuccessful port, since i don't know what happen to ketsui
crithit5000

Post by crithit5000 »

VicViper_Mk2 wrote:looking at screenshot and video, i understood the game's battle system, then i thought: isn't it a bit too simple? polarity changing to absorb bullets sounds like such a simple concept. some might say simple is best, and i agree in certain areas, but surely thats not the only reason that makes this game good.
Oh sure, it sounds like a simple idea on paper, but in reality when you actually play...
VicViper_Mk2 wrote:care to elaborate on the part about the unsuccessful port, since i don't know what happen to ketsui
Treasure had a PlayStation 2 port planned, it even made the rounds to some magazines. Apparently it sucked, so Treasure canned it.
now tighter than your sister
VicViper_Mk2

Post by VicViper_Mk2 »

why would they deliberately make a sucky game? is it because the slowdown was even more on the ps2? or is there something else too?
VicViper Vs R9, will the eternal struggle between them ever end, only time will tell
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Ikaruga is good on its own. It was the PS2 that infected it with its suckiness.

Or more realistically, the PS2 port was severely crippled due to the difficulty to program it, and the fuckwittery of the system's architecture.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
VicViper_Mk2

Post by VicViper_Mk2 »

so in other words, the ps2 just couldn't handle the game. that sucks, but i guess there is nothing to do. every system has its limitation. so i guess a DC is still a good choice.
VicViper Vs R9, will the eternal struggle between them ever end, only time will tell
bsidwell

Post by bsidwell »

Since the PS2 is theoretically more powerful than the Dreamcast, I'd guess it was more a case of Treasure not being able to find a timely and cost-effective way to make it handle the game.
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

bsidwell wrote:Since the PS2 is theoretically more powerful than the Dreamcast, I'd guess it was more a case of Treasure not being able to find a timely and cost-effective way to make it handle the game.
I agree

I'm content with the dreamcast version.
KBZ

Post by KBZ »

ps2 is more powerful, however when we talk about ps2 and naomi we are talking about two very different pieces of hardware with unique architecture. I can't think of a game utilizing the naomi anywhere near to the point of ikaruga that has seen a perfect ps2 port.

there are some things that a dc can do which a ps2 cannot, and probably more things a ps2 can do that a dc cannot. Too bad we never got to see what all of those things may be.
=/
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

PS2 only has 4MB VRAM whereas the DC has 8MB VRAM, which is why certain PS2 shooters are notorious for slowing down when there's a lot of stuff on-screen. So it's certainly possible that the DC could animate something that the PS2 couldn't.
Asherdude

Post by Asherdude »

I've played it on my Wii at 480p via a 26" HDTV and it looked pretty sweet.

The Wii upscales all GC games to 480p. Sometimes that's good, and sometimes it ain't. For instance, in Super Mario Sunshine, I can see all of the compression artifacts in the FMV segments. But Ikaruga looked better on the Wii than it did on the GC -- it didn't support progressive scan on the GC.
animefanjr

Post by animefanjr »

Asherdude wrote:I've played it on my Wii at 480p via a 26" HDTV and it looked pretty sweet.

The Wii upscales all GC games to 480p. Sometimes that's good, and sometimes it ain't. For instance, in Super Mario Sunshine, I can see all of the compression artifacts in the FMV segments. But Ikaruga looked better on the Wii than it did on the GC -- it didn't support progressive scan on the GC.
I have it on Cube and it "Does Indeed support Pro scan," I had both versions and the Cube version looked so much better on my TV becaise the DC didnt support Proscan. I got very high scores in the first few levels and I played the crap out of that game on my TV with my hori stick. The Cube version is almost as sharp as playing the DC version on the VGA adaptor on a monitor.

The Wii does not upscale Cube games, if a Cube game supported Proscan it plays it in that mode, if not it does not (same for widescreen).

I have a 47inch HDTV, I had it for years. Sunshine was always in Proscan and the videos looked like that on Cube, again, I have the game.

I just want the correct info out there.
"You just can't bomb your way through life,"
Postman (Ya, thats right, Postman)
Asherdude

Post by Asherdude »

Really? I didn't say it on the box. And I guess that I've been lucky that all of my GC games support it, because I haven't found one that doesn't.
animefanjr

Post by animefanjr »

Asherdude wrote:Really? I didn't say it on the box. And I guess that I've been lucky that all of my GC games support it, because I haven't found one that doesn't.
Ya, most Cube games didn't have the logo, but played in PS like... Metroid Prime, Super Smash, Rogue Squadron (looks sweet), etc...in general, any game made by Nintendo didn't have the logo, I don't know why.

When I got my TV I replayed them all, but they do support it. Most don't support WS. You should play F-zero in the wii, that game looks GREAT, PS and WS.
Asherdude

Post by Asherdude »

animefanjr wrote: Ya, most Cube games didn't have the logo, but played in PS like... Metroid Prime, Super Smash, Rogue Squadron (looks sweet), etc...in general, any game made by Nintendo didn't have the logo, I don't know why.

When I got my TV I replayed them all, but they do support it. Most don't support WS. You should play F-zero in the wii, that game looks GREAT, PS and WS.
Thanks.
mikoto

Post by mikoto »

animefanjr wrote:You should play F-zero in the wii, that game looks GREAT, PS and WS.
Sorry for going more off-topic but are you claiming that the non-widescreen mode in F-zero is Pan and Scan? In that case I must claim that you are not fully aware of what the term Pan-and-Scan truly stands for.
There can be only one!
animefanjr

Post by animefanjr »

mikoto wrote:
animefanjr wrote:You should play F-zero in the wii, that game looks GREAT, PS and WS.
Sorry for going more off-topic but are you claiming that the non-widescreen mode in F-zero is Pan and Scan? In that case I must claim that you are not fully aware of what the term Pan-and-Scan truly stands for.
Sigh...I made no such claim.

PS (Progressive scan) and WS (Widescreen), I thought everyone would be able to tell I was abbrievating them.....sorry.

So as I thought I said, F-Zero looks great in Progressive scan and Widescreen!
Lili-Xiang

Post by Lili-Xiang »

Shimatta... looks cute, but too bad it's on the GC, and my DC had to be sold
back (which I actually disagreed to, but my 'rents sold it anyway :cry: )
Anyone who believes what they saw at Namco Central about ME is seriously far stupider than he/she looks... :roll:
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

Lili-Xiang wrote:Shimatta...
LOL. Are you for real?
but my 'rents sold it anyway :cry:
LOL. Say, isn't it past your bedtime?

Just buy another DC, they're only $20-$30.

Nice to know about GC games in progressive scan on Wii though, since my Wii just shipped out, and 3rd party component cables are cheap, unlike GC with only the proprietary 1st party cable.
mikoto

Post by mikoto »

animefanjr wrote:
mikoto wrote:

PS (Progressive scan) and WS (Widescreen), I thought everyone would be able to tell I was abbrievating them.....sorry.

Ah, sorry again first for going more off-topic. I'm sorry and withdraws my claim against you. Never even thought of that the NTSC versions of F-zero supports Progressive Scan, I'm a european and has lived with a PS lacking Gamecube library of games. At its peak we had the choice of selecting widescreen but that is still a rare luxury for us. So with F-zero for us we have only 4:3 and 16:9 options to choose from and I have seen far too many people missuse the term Pan & Scan with 4:3 and have developed a sense for striking against those persons :-)

Unfortunately you have become a victim of that, for that I am sorry. Excuse me.
There can be only one!
animefanjr

Post by animefanjr »

mikoto wrote:
animefanjr wrote:
mikoto wrote: Sorry for going more off-topic but are you claiming that the non-widescreen mode in F-zero is Pan and Scan? In that case I must claim that you are not fully aware of what the term Pan-and-Scan truly stands for.

Ah, sorry again first for going more off-topic. I'm sorry and withdraws my claim against you. Never even thought of that the NTSC versions of F-zero supports Progressive Scan, I'm a european and has lived with a PS lacking Gamecube library of games. At its peak we had the choice of selecting widescreen but that is still a rare luxury for us. So with F-zero for us we have only 4:3 and 16:9 options to choose from and I have seen far too many people missuse the term Pan & Scan with 4:3 and have developed a sense for striking against those persons :-)

Unfortunately you have become a victim of that, for that I am sorry. Excuse me.
Don't sweat it, its all good.