dreamcast shmups

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
the2bears

Post by the2bears »

professor ganson wrote:Thanks, Bill! This is great to know. Can anyone tell me how to get a boot-disk for playing imports on my DC?
I've been using the DC-X, bought it from Liksang. Works very well on all my Japanese games, not so well with my PAL Rez (but well enough:) ).

Bill
Super Laydock

Post by Super Laydock »

the2bears wrote:
professor ganson wrote:Thanks, Bill! This is great to know. Can anyone tell me how to get a boot-disk for playing imports on my DC?
I've been using the DC-X, bought it from Liksang. Works very well on all my Japanese games, not so well with my PAL Rez (but well enough:) ).

Bill
That might just be more of a problem with the PAL REZ print you have than with the DC-X itself.
There was a small part of the PAL REZ copies that was sort of misprinted
I have a PAL DC and one of those copies. The game will only boot up if I load it on a cold-not-used-prior-that-day Dreamcast. And it's not my DC playing up as I've read about this happening to other copies at other people's DC's too. :?
Barroom hero!
Bathroom hero!
sjewkestheloon

Post by sjewkestheloon »

i had this problem with rez, got pissed off at it, downloaded a backup image and made it self bootable.

illegal i know but if you're going to screw up stuff like that then i don't see a problem. plus i own the game

in response to an earlier post, yes i did credit feed the hell out of mars matrix but i'm going back to reduce the number of creds on each playthrough.
the2bears

Post by the2bears »

sjewkestheloon wrote:i had this problem with rez, got pissed off at it, downloaded a backup image and made it self bootable.

illegal i know but if you're going to screw up stuff like that then i don't see a problem. plus i own the game

in response to an earlier post, yes i did credit feed the hell out of mars matrix but i'm going back to reduce the number of creds on each playthrough.
I totally agree.

I've got an "illegal" copy now too, though I really don't consider it illegal or immoral. Certainly not the latter. I paid for the game, a "real" version of the game. I'm entitled to backups etc. and to actually be able to play it :)

Bill
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

I'm glad I downloaded Rez beforehand to see if I liked it or not. I hated the gameplay and found the music horrible. Deleted it in a day since I don't keep any ISO's period. It may have been illegal but it sure saved me $50 on a game that I would've just shoved into my cabinet.
icepick

Post by icepick »

Ganelon wrote:It may have been illegal but it sure saved me $50 on a game that I would've just shoved into my cabinet.
Indeed; and quite possibly saved a new/sealed copy of the game for someone that might've enjoyed it. I don't see anything wrong with the practice of which you described, except in those cases where you know that you're going to like something, and you let yourself spoil it for... yourself. :?

So, in this case, all's well that ended well!
\\ /\/\ \
the2bears

Post by the2bears »

Ganelon wrote:I'm glad I downloaded Rez beforehand to see if I liked it or not. I hated the gameplay and found the music horrible. Deleted it in a day since I don't keep any ISO's period. It may have been illegal but it sure saved me $50 on a game that I would've just shoved into my cabinet.
I think this is just fine too. Especially when most stores don't accept returns on opened games. I mean seriously... what if it's shite? I know I've been ripped off and wished I could return a game.

Bill
sjewkestheloon

Post by sjewkestheloon »

i'm pretty lucky in that respect as i used to work at my local game store, so anything shite can be returned and i usually get some pretty decent trade value on stuff.

not as good as when i worked there though. returning games galore lol