Raiden Fighters 2, Raiden Fighters Jet Replay Vids online

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
EddyMRA

Raiden Fighters 2, Raiden Fighters Jet Replay Vids online

Post by EddyMRA »

http://www.rf-emporium.net/rf2/

http://www.rf-emporium.net/rfjet/

Replay vids in AVI format encoded using the DivX codec. They have no sound due to the MAME emulation having incorrect sound at the moment for the Seibu SPI drivers.

All of the RF2 replays are full rank using the Raiden mk-II. Can't get past the boss in the desert stage (Sand Lobster). Hard bastard he is. I'll get Stage 7 up as soon as I can reach that stage.

There is just one RFJ video so far, but it's one showing getting the gold medals and a ton of chain bonuses in LEVEL-01 alone, for a final score of 10,187,120 at the end of the level. This one uses the Ixion.
Last edited by EddyMRA on Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
The age of Alluro and JudgeSpear is over.
roushimsx

Post by roushimsx »

hot, thanks for making these. What are you using to cap the videos?

I'm stuck with ek-MAME 0.90 still because I can't access the site to grab a 0.92u2000 build of it :(
Dandy J

Post by Dandy J »

Awesome replays, that's good stuff!

What are the advantages of ek-MAME over MAME32?
roushimsx

Post by roushimsx »

Dandy J wrote:What are the advantages of ek-MAME over MAME32?
ek-mame has AVI-output and also supports zinc gpu plugins for System11 games and such :)
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

roushimsx wrote:What are you using to cap the videos?
I am using CamTasia Studio 2: http://www.techsmith.com/products/studio/default.asp

It allows me to make recordings of snything on the computer screen with sound. I used this program to make the replay videos for Xeno Fighters as well.

I will try to make a replay of the stage 7 soon. RF2 on full rank is ungodly hard, especially when I use the slow as hell Raiden mk-II. I'll likely resort to making a stage 7 replay using a fast ship like the Judge Spear.
raiden

Post by raiden »

does anyone know a tool to rotate videos with? Make yoko tate or vice versa?

@Alluro: funny, just last night I watched an old RF2 video, downloaded from old alamone.com when they still had it. The guy was also having problems with the sand lobster, and I think his initials were ALL (video was a little blurry). That was you, wasn´t you?
roushimsx

Post by roushimsx »

Alluro wrote:I am using CamTasia Studio 2: http://www.techsmith.com/products/studio/default.asp
Ahh, I've tried that in the past with various other emulators and it's just slaughtered performance for me to the point where games were pretty much unplayable (even in a window at original resolution in stuff like Gens and Kega).

Just gave it a go with MAME and it's still slowing things down way too far, so I guess I'll just have to wait for a new build of ek-mame.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

raiden wrote:...and I think his initials were ALL (video was a little blurry). That was you, wasn´t you?
Correction. Alamone's highscore inits are ALA.
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

raiden wrote:does anyone know a tool to rotate videos with? Make yoko tate or vice versa?
VirtualDub does that, and a lot more. Best of all, it is freeware.

Get it here: http://www.virtualdub.org/
landshark

Post by landshark »

roushimsx wrote:
Alluro wrote:I am using CamTasia Studio 2: http://www.techsmith.com/products/studio/default.asp
Ahh, I've tried that in the past with various other emulators and it's just slaughtered performance for me to the point where games were pretty much unplayable (even in a window at original resolution in stuff like Gens and Kega).

Just gave it a go with MAME and it's still slowing things down way too far, so I guess I'll just have to wait for a new build of ek-mame.
Don't record while you play.

Instead, record the game to a playback file. Snes9x and mame support this.

Then you replay the playback file and record to video so your reaction times aren't affected.
Stormowl

Post by Stormowl »

awesome stuff alluro. you have some deft moves in that OG raiden mk-II. that level 6 boss sure is a crank though. :wink:
roushimsx

Post by roushimsx »

landshark wrote:Don't record while you play.

Instead, record the game to a playback file. Snes9x and mame support this.

Then you replay the playback file and record to video so your reaction times aren't affected.
I've tried this and the video output when using Camtasia still is slow and choppy. In SNES9x and VisualBoyAdvance, it'll still record every frame regardless of how slow it's recording the video (which is super cool), but with Camtasia iit seems to record the game as slow as it's actually running.

Unless I'm missing a setting somewhere.
landshark

Post by landshark »

I used Fraps.
arcademan

Post by arcademan »

hey alluro do you now if pcbs arplayabel on a mac :)
arcademan

Post by arcademan »

Alluro do you now if r.belmont is getting spi sound fixt or not :)
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

Stormowl wrote:awesome stuff alluro. you have some deft moves in that OG raiden mk-II. that level 6 boss sure is a crank though. :wink:
What does OG stands for? Sorry if this has been answered before.

To arcademan: Why are you asking me? I wouldn't know.
Stormowl

Post by Stormowl »

Alluro wrote:
Stormowl wrote:awesome stuff alluro. you have some deft moves in that OG raiden mk-II. that level 6 boss sure is a crank though. :wink:
What does OG stands for? Sorry if this has been answered before.
OG is slang for "original gangsta", which is another sort of slang for "old school" or "old fashioned".

i just thought i was cool too see you going at it with a craft that isn't quite as much of a hot rod as the other ships in raiden fighters.
poieo

Post by poieo »

I think so too. I never thought anyone would make a decent attempt with that ship.

On stage 4 though, what are the conditions for the second and third micluses? I always seem to get the third one, but never the second, and i can't grasp what makes either of them appear.
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

poieo wrote:I think so too. I never thought anyone would make a decent attempt with that ship.

On stage 4 though, what are the conditions for the second and third micluses? I always seem to get the third one, but never the second, and i can't grasp what makes either of them appear.
:D I am probably one of the few serious Raiden mk-II players out there. In any game that have multiple characters/ships/whatever for selection, I always seem to go for that character that almost everyone else ignores, and become proficient at using it.

For the Raiden Fighters series, it's the Raiden mk-II.
For Strikers 1945 III, it's the AV-8 Harrier jet.
For Street Fighter II, it's Dhalsim.
For the Killer Instinct series, it's Spinal.
For Super Smash Bros. Melee, it's Jigglypuff.

Regarding stage 4 of RF2, to get Miclus 2 to appear, you have to destroy all the parts of the transports. Each transport has a turret on the forward end, and two small "ammo ports" on the aft. Destroy those things first before the transports' "cores".

Miclus 3 appears when you kill the big tank on the right side first, before the one on the left, which appear before the boss.
poieo

Post by poieo »

Ah, that makes sense.

Yeah, as a Slave whore myself i never would've thought you could do that. The Mk. II doesn't seem to be able to quickshot worth crap, but what was interesting is that you were able to At a Time well enough and it looked like it took some technique and finesse. Again, those were great to watch.
IlMrm

Post by IlMrm »

Thanks for the vids Alluro.

I like your style of staying above the mid-point on the screen.
cigsthecat

Post by cigsthecat »

Thanks for the great videos Alluro. Especially stage 1, I was having trouble figuring out how to do the second Miclus and defend the tank.
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

Update! I have one Raiden Fighters Jet replay up. Enjoy!
cigsthecat

Post by cigsthecat »

That was great, thank you. I had the right idea but didn't string the destroyed at a time bonuses quite as nicely.
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

A replay from Stage 7 in RF2 is uploaded.

The geometric dome midboss killed me once, and the final boss Red Eye slaughtered me. I'll eventually figure them out...
Frogacuda

Post by Frogacuda »

roushimsx wrote:
Dandy J wrote:What are the advantages of ek-MAME over MAME32?
ek-mame has AVI-output and also supports zinc gpu plugins for System11 games and such :)
Where can I get an up-to-date download of this? The only references I can find are hopelessly out of date or korean.