Question: Strikers 1945 II... Saturn vs. PS1

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

lawnspic wrote:BTW how many ST-V ports were there for sat besides Baku, Souky, and RS(cant remember the rest)
I think Cotton 2 and Boomerang were...was Guardian Force, as well? I'm not sure...
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

BulletMagnet wrote:
lawnspic wrote:BTW how many ST-V ports were there for sat besides Baku, Souky, and RS(cant remember the rest)
I think Cotton 2 and Boomerang were...was Guardian Force, as well? I'm not sure...
Shienryu.
Neon

Post by Neon »

But then the ps1 had nothing on sat running capcom fighters with or without the cart, go figure.
In a case like Streetfighter Zero 2, they're not too different. PSX has poor resolution and a few more missing frames but the sound is perfect. SS has downsampled sound. In a case like this it's better to get the PS version and play it on PS2 so you don't have to deal with loadtimes. Until the SFA comp. comes out anyway...
WW3

Post by WW3 »

Ah, that's a very interesting theory Neon, and indeed, I've been wondering myself, recently, if PS1 games played on a PS2 somehow become 'slow-down free' due to the superior processing power, presumably.
Right now, my PS1 STG collection consists of only Gradius Gaiden & the Zanac pack, both of which have no major slow-down issues when played on a PS1 I presume; however, I've only ever played them on a Japanese Playstation 2, and they work a treat, although Gradius could be a tad crisper round the edges, visually, lol, and easier too I guess ;p
I intend to continue this trend (import PS1 shooters played on a NTSC/J PS2), so, maybe, Strikers 1945 would lose the speed problems (as highlighted above, in the PS1 conversion) played like this?
It would certainly be conveniant, as I've only got 1 scart socket on my designated rotated television, and... as I'm really enjoying playing the Cave & Alfa System games on PS2 right now, and also the Taito/Psikyo Sengokou pack, I'm sorry to say that the faithful old Saturn spends much of it's time packed away!

Has to be said though, whilst I've definately had my eyes opened to the glory of certain PS1 STG ports (reading guys like Matt et al a few years back on here talking about DDP, and some other titles on PS1, was a revelation that basically rocked my SS loving world!!), the notion of playing a classic like A2 (SF Zero 2) on a Sony machine still does seem like heresy!

Saying that, I do look forward to the May released Alpha pack with some glee (slight digression lol).

BTW, can we just confirm that Donpachi also works better on a PS1/PS2, and what kind of price would the original release command now (not Cyclone Best or PS Books whatever)!?
Thanks.
Neon

Post by Neon »

Ah, that's a very interesting theory Neon, and indeed, I've been wondering myself, recently, if PS1 games played on a PS2 somehow become 'slow-down free' due to the superior processing power, presumably.
Nothing like that unfortunately, only the load times and something about textures I never use. Somebody mentioned that epsxe can be used to eliminate slowdown but I've had problems with some games on that, and of course the 2d stuff looks poor when scaled :/ so I just use my ps2 for psx games.

The load times thing works amazingly well, though. The 5 second between-levels load on PSX DDP is gone pretty much entirely.
LSU

Post by LSU »

Herr Schatten wrote:
BulletMagnet wrote:
Shienryu.
There are quite a few other ST-V/Saturn ports, but mostly in other genres - Puyo Puyo Sun, Astra Superstars, Golden Axe The Duel, a couple of the Virtua Fighter spin-offs, etc. I can't think of any other shmups.
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Can someone confirm for me that the Jap PS1 version of Strikers 1945 II will save high scores, unlike the PS2 collection.
Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke »

professor ganson wrote:Can someone confirm for me that the Jap PS1 version of Strikers 1945 II will save high scores, unlike the PS2 collection.
Roger that professor. I can confirm on the saving whole-heartedly for NTSC-J Strikers 1945 2.
'Only a fool trusts his life to a weapon.'
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Limbrooke wrote:
professor ganson wrote:Can someone confirm for me that the Jap PS1 version of Strikers 1945 II will save high scores, unlike the PS2 collection.
Roger that professor. I can confirm on the saving whole-heartedly for NTSC-J Strikers 1945 2.
Thanks much. I'm kinda sick of having to reenter my settings in OPTIONS every time I load and having to write down my scores.
ST Dragon
Banned User

Re: Question: Strikers 1945 II... Saturn vs. PS1

Post by ST Dragon »

The Coop wrote:Sorry to make another thread so fast, but this is a question that's been bugging me for quite some time... and this evening I was reminded of it.

We all know that the Saturn got Strikers 1945 II, and that the Playstation got it as well (though it was called "Strikers 1945" by Agetec in The States for whatever reason).

I know the Saturn version has slowdown in it, something the PS1 version corrected most of. However, are there any other major differences between the Saturn and PS1 versions of Strikers 1945 II? Does one have more animation/levels/extras than the other, or are they nearly identical in every way? I've been trying to find info on this, and thus far, I've come up mostly empty handed.

I figured if there's anywhere that this question could be asked, it's here. :lol:
I have 1'cc 1945 Strikers II on Saturn, PS-1 & Arcades and I can verify that the Saturn port is missing most of the transparencies and effects as well as featuring some nasty slow downs (not as severe as Thunder Force V).
The PS-1 port, also takes up a larger part of the screen in Yoko mode.
The Saturn port does have a better music / sound-effects ratio however.

The PS-2 port seems perfect to me.
Saint Dragon - AMIGA - Jaleco 1989

"In the first battle against the Guardian's weapons, created with Vasteel Technology, humanity suffered a crushing defeat."
Thunder Force V
SAM

Post by SAM »

Neon wrote:
WW3 wrote:Ah, that's a very interesting theory Neon, and indeed, I've been wondering myself, recently, if PS1 games played on a PS2 somehow become 'slow-down free' due to the superior processing power, presumably.
Nothing like that unfortunately, only the load times and something about textures I never use. Somebody mentioned that epsxe can be used to eliminate slowdown but I've had problems with some games on that, and of course the 2d stuff looks poor when scaled :/ so I just use my ps2 for psx games.

The load times thing works amazingly well, though. The 5 second between-levels load on PSX DDP is gone pretty much entirely.
Only the loading time shortern due to a faster disc drive. The game won't run faster/smoother since the PS2 actually got a PSOne chip within to run PSOne game.

The only difference is you now got component vedio, and you could use a more powerful 3D graphic chip (swithch Grahpic Smoothing option to ON) to rander the 3D polygon of a PSOne game better.
WW3 wrote:"Just a couple more shots!" ...yeah right *dies* :(
That's always happen to me too... :lol:
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
nesrulz

Post by nesrulz »

PSX [J] version rulz. Work great with ePSXe. Without slowdowns. With Pete's plugins.
Last edited by nesrulz on Sun May 17, 2015 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Arcade version
No Slowdowns, No bullshit, Balanced difficulty, and can credit-feed throughout the game :lol:
nesrulz

Post by nesrulz »

Arcade/M.A.M.E. is pro. Doubtless.