Taito Legends 2

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
takohiko

Taito Legends 2

Post by takohiko »

Empire just issued another press release about Taito Legends 2 - seems like there'll be some difference in the versions this time around. Most of the list is the same as previously announced, but then this happens:

4 games exclusive to PS2
Balloon Bomber
Ray Storm
G Darius
Syvalion

4 games exclusive to Xbox and PC
Bubble Symphony
Cadash
Rayforce
Pop 'n Pop

seems like it's down to emulation issues - the PS2 exclusives were included in the Memories packs but aren't fully emulated in MAME, and all the Xbox/PC exclusives are emulated in MAME but weren't in Memories.
Arcatech

Post by Arcatech »

argh, I'll have to buy both of them. What a cruel world.
theevilfunkster

Post by theevilfunkster »

Oh fucksticks!!! :evil: I'll have to buy both of the bastards now, at least they'll be cheap.
Neo Rasa

Post by Neo Rasa »

Why is this happening?
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Cadash was already in Memories. WTF?
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

If the PS2 can handle all the games in Capcom Classics and previous Taito discs, then it can handle any of the above through emulation. :roll: What hogwash. Just your typical cross platform ploy here.
Fighter17
Banned User

Re: Taito Legends 2 craziness

Post by Fighter17 »

I herd the emulation was OK, but not perfect. Might pick up the PC version when it's release. ;)
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Sigh - it's safe to say that Xbox/pc got the better deal. I wanted Bubble Symphony :cry:
X - P - B
Devil REI

Post by Devil REI »

Wait, wasn't Bubble Symphony on one of the Taito Memories releases already? This just isn't making a lot of sense.

I've already got the Saturn version, though, so I'm OK there. Not much of a reason for me to buy either one at the mo unless they include G Darius ver. 2 on the PS2 edition. And Raimais. Raimais is very spiffy.
Arcatech

Post by Arcatech »

Well, at least their only 20 bucks each. It will be like buying one expensive game I guess. :?
Neon

Post by Neon »

Turrican wrote:Sigh - it's safe to say that Xbox/pc got the better deal. I wanted Bubble Symphony :cry:
Rayforce and Pop n pop are nothing to sneeze at, but ps2 gets the better than arcade perfect G. Darius conversion.

I'll have to get memories now, have a japanese ps2.
LoneSage

Post by LoneSage »

I checked the link, didn't see anything about a US release. Any word yet that it will get one, and not just in the UK?

Arcade-perfect G. Darius for teh win.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Devil REI wrote:Wait, wasn't Bubble Symphony on one of the Taito Memories releases already?
IIRC it wasn't...the original Bubble Bobble was, but none of the other ones, I don't think. I also don't think Pop n' Pop was there either...IIRC all 4 of the PS2 exclusives listed at the top are on Memories someplace, while Bubble Symphony and Pop n' Pop are the only ones that weren't there at all.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Dylan1CC wrote:If the PS2 can handle all the games in Capcom Classics and previous Taito discs, then it can handle any of the above through emulation. :roll: What hogwash. Just your typical cross platform ploy here.
Exactly; both Ray Force and Raystorm were done on the SAME Taito arcade hardware, which is very similar to the PS1. There's no good reason why they had to be split up like this.

However, I'm still happy that we in the States are even getting a second volume; I expected the first one to be it.
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
it290

Post by it290 »

Actually, Rayforce was on the F3 hardware, Raystorm on the FX-1B.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

it290 wrote:Actually, Rayforce was on the F3 hardware, Raystorm on the FX-1B.
Oh, woops. :oops: Well I do remember that one of two mentioned as being close to the PS1.

I just can't wait for a US release date! :D
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
Neo Rasa

Post by Neo Rasa »

I'm hoping the fact that it's getting an XBox release as well would be a sure sign of a US release. Microsoft in the US is actually quite open to this sort of compilation as opposed to SCEA. Plus since it's late in the system's life, the next couple of months is the prime time for a compilation like this as with all systems.
Dale

Post by Dale »

Must own
Must play
Is anyone else excited about Elevator Action2 because I,m stoked reved amped and beefed. :P
I did great so much water and milk that I threw up when I was little.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Neo Rasa wrote:Microsoft in the US is actually quite open to this sort of compilation as opposed to SCEA.
SCEA doesn't mind these collections since at a value $20 package, nobody would confuse this for top-of-the-line PS2 software.
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Post by Thunder Force »

Now we will be able to compare Japan-developed ports of Metal Black, Darius Gaiden and Gun Frontier on the PS2 version, with MameDev-developed ports of these shmups on the Xbox version. Since they will be using totally different codebases for the emulation, the results should be quite interesting and not necessarily predictable...
"Thunder Force VI does not suck, shut your fucking mouth." ~ Shane Bettenhausen
Neo Rasa

Post by Neo Rasa »

Ganelon wrote:
Neo Rasa wrote:Microsoft in the US is actually quite open to this sort of compilation as opposed to SCEA.
SCEA doesn't mind these collections since at a value $20 package, nobody would confuse this for top-of-the-line PS2 software.
I love how they had to start selling all their new games at the $40 MSRP to move units. They also had to lower the greatest hits criteria so that Killzone and Syphon Filter: The Omega Strain could quality. :lol:
Bloodreign

Post by Bloodreign »

The only thing I can be unhappy about as a PS2 owner is no Bubble Symphony, looks like Raine will cover that game for me as usual. But hey I look on the bright side, having an arcade perfect (or close) G Darius, seeing as MAME runs it horribly for me is a bonus.
J-Manic

Post by J-Manic »

LoneSage wrote:Arcade-perfect G. Darius for teh win.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. You think they fixed the slowdown problem in G. Darius? If so, that would be a dream come true.
tekneekz

Post by tekneekz »

is this gonna be for the jpn ps2 or usa?
Neon

Post by Neon »

tekneekz wrote:is this gonna be for the jpn ps2 or usa?
Legends is for US and EU, Taito Memories is the Japanese equivalent (well kinda). Play-asia stocks the games and has gamelists under the descriptions.

I reckon I'll skip buying either legends for my Xbox and just get Taito Memories 1+2, and separately Rainbow Islands and Pop n Pop for my PSX.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Everyone seems happy to finally get an arcade perfect (but filtered :wink: ) G-Darius.

I only played G-Darius on psx, so my question is: was that port THAT crappy compared to the arcade?
X - P - B
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

From what I know, the only real big difference between arcade and PSX version of G-Darius is that the PSX one is filled with slowdown.

The game actually is a big slowdown trip, the game is running slower than the arcade version nearly all the time, and in very few spots the game "speed-ups" to the normal speed.

This never made the PSX version unplayable. It makes it a lot easier though :)
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

The only nuisance to me is that I have a PS2, and Cadash is on the OTHER compilation. {sigh} Okay, also that I have the PSX versions of Raystorm and G-Darius already.

But no, I'm not buying an XBox just for Cadash and Rayforce. That's overdoing it.

Besides, I'll be getting Bonze Adventure, Darius Gaiden, Gekirin Dan, Insector X, Gun Frontier, and Metal Black. What's to worry about, in the end?

Come to think of it...STILL no Top Speed or Chase H.Q.? I'll admit that I don't remember either one on the Japanese versions. But I do have to wonder what's going on...
takohiko

Post by takohiko »

The lack of Chase HQ is probably a licensing issue - I know the reason Arkanoid hasn't featured on any of the PS2 compilations is due to legal action from Atari. Can't imagine Taito/Empire just not considering Chase HQ worthy of inclusion, it's one of the more popular Taito arcade games.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

If Chase HQ does make it to a compilation I hope it controls better than the awful Saturn iteration. It was unplayable.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.